• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair vs. fair

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
I would say Nair because it has better knock-back, especially at higher percents. Also if you know you're screwed and you're Nairing him you could just not fastfall and you would over shoot them and just run away while still hitting them. >_>
I just said that second sentence outloud and for some reason it sounds weird.
You stole my sig. :(

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
Don't change your sig! Spread the pain! :D
Just make sure to make it HUGE font so people HAVE to read it. XD

FrostByte

Smash Lord
When attempting to grab, use the fair. It pops them up in the air and keeps them close to you.

lolomgwtfbbq, I just hate you now.

kry

Smash Rookie
personally.. i think the nair is better.. as an element of surprise and the fact it hits even when you intend to land behind the person and then cg them from there if they shielded.

:) the breathing manually trick.. i didn't get it at first puahahaha

Aesir

Smash Master
I would say Nair because it has better knock-back, especially at higher percents. Also if you know you're screwed and you're Nairing him you could just not fastfall and you would over shoot them and just run away while still hitting them. >_>
I just said that second sentence outloud and for some reason it sounds weird.
You stole my sig. :(
shut up.

Fair is better especially against fast fallers the only thing nair is good for is what taki said.

You should always use fair it's like marths second shield.

your name is stupid too.

princetoma

Smash Cadet
well i prefer fair, its much easier besides doing nair like that can get u sheild grab, fair is always best tatic specially if you space yourself good. XD.

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
shut up.

Fair is better especially against fast fallers the only thing nair is good for is what taki said.

your name is stupid too.
Lol Aesir, for some reason I really feel you can't say my name is stupid.
The original question wasn't which is better, nair or fair. It was which is better approach against a person intending to CC, otherwise I would agree that fair is better in most cases. Just an opinion anyway.

kry

Smash Rookie
eh.

i didn't know fair did anything against cc... unlike nair which you can overshoot and still hit
plus if you always went fair.. youd be predictable and thats no good either.

that aside, i wasn't aware lolomgwtfbbq was a stupid name.

aesir sounds like a crappy *** computer manufacture imo. adono what you think but yeah thats wut i think :) no offense meant or anything thats just how i recieve it.

Aesir

Smash Master
Lol Aesir, for some reason I really feel you can't say my name is stupid.
The original question wasn't which is better, nair or fair. It was which is better approach against a person intending to CC, otherwise I would agree that fair is better in most cases. Just an opinion anyway.
in which case you're still wrong. >_>

and I can because mine is cool and yours is dumb. :D

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
in which case you're still wrong. >_>

and I can because mine is cool and yours is dumb. :D
I just said what I found effective against them, is there something wrong with that? It may not be the same with you but I find it works well. :\
Well I'm not in the mood to argue either lolomgwtfbbq or Aesir is cooler, but I'm sure you know that I like mine better.
Lol Frostbyte, sorrrry. >_>

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Well, if they shield, and if you fair them, you can dash behind them after your fair and pivot a grab in. That works so well. -_- :(

orintemple

Smash Lord
If you Nair you might fall on the enemy allowing them to retaliate but if you Fair the tip of your sword is far enough away that when you land you will be spaced away from the enemy, allowing you to follow up with a grab.

Fair is better against shields because it takes less frames to complete including recovery and leaves you spaced.

Aesir

Smash Master
Or the fact that if you nair a ccer they're going to **** you.

Nair is really good against spot dodgers and platformers other then that fair is almost always a better option.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The N-air is better for simply approaching. However the F-air has better combo setup and a larger hitbox for attacking directly in front of Marth. It's just that the F-air has really short duration and comparatively longer ending lag, so if you are just trying to approach, it's easier to hit someone with an N-air.

Icelement

Smash Cadet
shut up.

your name is stupid too.
Someone needs a nap. :ohwell:

Anyways, I prefer nairs for approaching, especially for fake outs and shuffl mindgames and the like. Fairs definitely have their own perks, like the straight up knockback and the ability to double fair, leading to easy combos.

Short version (keep in mind, IMO) is Nairing for approaching, and Fairing for some fast combos and combo starters.

Corax

Smash Cadet
Icelement;3625437 Short version (keep in mind said:
I like his summary.

IMHO I always thought nair was best for those quick knock back moments or as a move they don't see coming cuase of the chain of fairs most marth's use.

If they CC, I think fair is best for certain characters. If your fighting sheik or Marth, you better c-stick the fiar and fade back with the joy stick and pray your spacing is right to hit with the tip only so you can punish them trying to do anything out of the shield.

The nair you can just use to nair across his shield and pivot an attack from there. Or if you feel very mind gamey, you can fast fall the nair early in front of their shield, but not in shield grab range, and punish their attempt to grab you. :p I love doing that against predictable foxes and Falcos. Actually anyone with a small hit box.

But when in doubt, stick with ice element's summary, it sounds good to me.

Aesir

Smash Master
Nair last longer so if you want to punish a spot dodger it's good for that.

I have to disagree that it's for approaching fair is definitly the better approach unless they're a happy spot dodger then you could nair. However with spaced fairs they can't really touch you.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Nair last longer so if you want to punish a spot dodger it's good for that.

I have to disagree that it's for approaching fair is definitly the better approach unless they're a happy spot dodger then you could nair. However with spaced fairs they can't really touch you.
QFT

Except for lower percentages the Nair really does not link to anything, making it more of a gtfo move. I like nairing out of shield and DIing away sometimes, it is also good for pressured rolls and spotdodges. It also can setup up wierd combos on fastfallers with upthrow if they DI wrong. If you have quick instincts, you can always time fairs to hit anything coming your way, if you don't and have predictable fair approaches you will get punished anyway.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i'm trying to think of more uses for nair but it fades out of your game somewhat as your spacing gets better...what they mentioned..spotdodgers, platformers, and overaggressive aeriallers where you don't have time to space for the fair combo..

i'm trying to think if i use it on overaggressiveness on the ground...but i think in general that although nair might be good for punishing that when you won't have time to space the fair easily..if they are cutting into my space very quickly like that i just go for a grab..

oh nair can shield stab the top i think...and dtilt stabs the bottom..so if you've worn down the shield a little (especially on char with bad shields) you can punish things more with nairs than you could with fairs

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
dude aesir you are the man..i couldn't figure out why it was when i played my 2nd or 3rd ganon match ever

that i kept using nair so much..obviously i'm just too pro for words;)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Nair is also good situationally against Sheiks trying to make it back onto the stage.

StickyChopstix

Smash Rookie
hmmm...well for me who has the hardest time trying to pull off shffled fairs, especially the short hopping part, I can shffl nairs pretty easily. I have no idea why i can do shffled nairs easier than fairs. problem is when I'm trying to do one of ken combos with nairs instead i always miss >.< so basically if I could, i would use the fairs since you can link two into one short hop, which is pretty rare, but i can't short hop fairs so i stick with nairs xD

aMtt

Smash Apprentice
I like fairing or shdfairing into grabs then forward throws at low percents. Maybe I play people with bad DI, but this can usually happen two or three times in a row, so I'd say fair would be better for grab combos. But don't quote me on that, everything is percent and DI dependent, and I'm not that good at this game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
being too lazy to read a bunch of at least mostly worthless posts, im just going to state the truth here:

when attempting to follow with a grab, nair works best at low % (more stun, and knock back isnt huge yet) while fair works better at mid % (pops them up enough to run in for a grab).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you want to overshoot/know you're going to overshoot, use nair, because it hits behind you. Spacing yourself with nair is easier, but fair is better.
or if you plan on overshooting, use bair. people dont grab unless its in the lag of a move. if you just dont attack and just before you land bair, you'll be safer longer as they wont react fast enough and to get out of the shield they will have more lag at the end. if they try to get out before bair then they get baired, if they dont they have more lag and cant follow. just dont abuse too much. spacing and not overshooting works better.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
or if you plan on overshooting, use bair. people dont grab unless its in the lag of a move. if you just dont attack and just before you land bair, you'll be safer longer as they wont react fast enough and to get out of the shield they will have more lag at the end. if they try to get out before bair then they get baired, if they dont they have more lag and cant follow. just dont abuse too much. spacing and not overshooting works better.
That works too. Actually, I should try that sometime.

Top Bottom