• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair 3 doesn't exist

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
This is just a PSA to let everyone know that I have confirmed that nair 3 (the "third hitbox") on nair does not actually exist.

"nair2" (the back of nair) has momentum carrying properties that allow it to move the opponent the same direction you are moving, unless you hit with the very tip of the back side (I don't know why that would be).

Just so everyone knows, Nefarious told me this a long time ago (or rather, that he suspected it) but I wasn't able to actually confirm it until now: so there it is; nair 3 is false and nair is just weird in that the KB is based on your momentum.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
So like, I checked OpenSA2. It's only one, continuous hitbox. So there is no Nair2, let alone Nair3.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
So like, I checked OpenSA2. It's only one, continuous hitbox. So there is no Nair2, let alone Nair3.
We use nair 1 and nair 2 to differentiate between the front and back of the attack. The front of the attack sends the opponent forward. The back sends them either backwards or the direction you're moving.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The direction they move is relative to their position of rootN relative to your position of rootN.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Wait, so you can tell us exactly now nair works?

What is rootN?

I tried the following:

1. Hitting them with the back of nair. They fly backwards.
2. Hitting them with the back of nair while jumping over them. The fly forwards.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
RootN is "bone" of the ZSS model. It is a bone found in every character. The game recognizes it as where each character is. Since ZSS n-air is an article, and not connect to ZSS, it loads it up for the begining, therefore, if she's moving past someone while using N-air, the game still thinks they are being hit by the front part of the move, therefore, being sent in front of her.

FK1

Smash Journeyman
RootN is "bone" of the ZSS model. It is a bone found in every character. The game recognizes it as where each character is. Since ZSS n-air is an article, and not connect to ZSS, it loads it up for the begining, therefore, if she's moving past someone while using N-air, the game still thinks they are being hit by the front part of the move, therefore, being sent in front of her.
Wow...that's actually pretty cool.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I figured it was something like that.

Basically, whip moves are whack because they're programmed funny.

Top Bottom