• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

MasterSplinter

Smash Cadet
They are lined up the same exact way. The only difference that I can see between them is that one is cleaned and oiled and one is filthy dirty. I guess that's what I get for trying to take care of my controllers. I just wish I knew why because logically they should both work

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Like others have said, it's hard to say since we can't verify by ourselves. I'd sugget to make sure the wheels are very clean, especially in the holes on the perimeter.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
They are lined up the same exact way. The only difference that I can see between them is that one is cleaned and oiled and one is filthy dirty. I guess that's what I get for trying to take care of my controllers. I just wish I knew why because logically they should both work
If you are still coming by to play in a few days and you aren't able to fix the controller in the meantime I can help you when you get here. I've probably taken apart and put back together like 25 controllers at this point. I also have the most recommended grease rather than that crappy white lithium stuff.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I use the JEREK STICK. It's a Derek stick with the PCB fix. The guy who made those is named Jakob. Hence Jerek stick.

The PCB makes it less sensitive. However, when I was using it, something felt off. I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I tested out the stick jump test with Yoshi on Hyrule and it failed miserably. Does anyone know if the high sensitivity mode fixes this? I honestly though the derek stick alone was better than after we put in the PCB.

Last edited:

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
just get used to the sensitivity... it'll give you better DI anyways. I can fast fall up air, and tilt any direction no problem.

Morin0

Smash Lord
If high sensitivity mode fixes the stick jump issue, then I'll keep it like that. If it doesn't, I'll go back to regular derek stick.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
just get used to the sensitivity... it'll give you better DI anyways. I can fast fall up air, and tilt any direction no problem.
if that was at all possible i totally would. but i spent like 2 months trying to get used to the sensitivity and never could

D

Deleted member

anyone have success with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterSplinter

Smash Cadet
I trashed my controller doing that. I think I'll just stick with a regular N64 controller. If it's good enough for ISAI it's good enough for me + it's what I've played with my whole life

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I use the JEREK STICK. It's a Derek stick with the PCB fix. The guy who made those is named Jakob. Hence Jerek stick.

The PCB makes it less sensitive. However, when I was using it, something felt off. I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I tested out the stick jump test with Yoshi on Hyrule and it failed miserably. Does anyone know if the high sensitivity mode fixes this? I honestly though the derek stick alone was better than after we put in the PCB.
You probably messed up the calibration. I know that this is what happened to me the first time. Right after I soldered the PCB, I did a test a got something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/ueTH8Y5.png

I could not do the Yoshi test either. I reopened the case, flip the switch to redo the calibration as indicated in Jakob's pdf. Plugged my controller in the N64, turned it on, rotated the stick for 5 sec, turned the N64 off and then it was calibrated correctly:

http://i.imgur.com/8EtvjyZ.png

I never had to recalibrate the stick since then. I'd suggest to try it again because I'm not even using the extend range mode and I can reach the top of the tent without any problem.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Thanks. We'll try that out.

Are there any people here who use a GC controller to play smash? What deadzone/range settings do you use?

Bassic

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know any good sellers of regular N64 controllers on Amazon? I have a $50 giftcard there so Ebay really isn't an option for me right now. I just want a good stick on a controller is all. I'd love to know if anyone has found a credible account I can buy off of.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
ill be selling 2 LIKE NEW OG N64 sticks inside controllers at smashcon first come first served PM me, 60$ each. currently ungreased (can grease them for you or you can grease yourself with my supply) and only tested once for 2minutes each; colors red + grey

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Thanks. We'll try that out.

Are there any people here who use a GC controller to play smash? What deadzone/range settings do you use?
If you mean in PC??? Deadzone 10%, default range. Feels almost th same than using the Raphnet GC to N64

Morin0

Smash Lord
66% fails the hyrule edge to edge stick jump test. (Also hard to jump over to the center part of the stage from the lower right part of the stage.) I don't have the GC to n64 adapter yet, but I tried it out on the VC version and I was able to do the stick jump test just fine. I'll stick to what I had (85%) as it seems like around 85% is the closest to what I was able to do in VC 64.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
What plugi
66% fails the hyrule edge to edge stick jump test. (Also hard to jump over to the center part of the stage from the lower right part of the stage.) I don't have the GC to n64 adapter yet, but I tried it out on the VC version and I was able to do the stick jump test just fine. I'll stick to what I had (85%) as it seems like around 85% is the closest to what I was able to do in VC 64.
What plugin are you using?? I am using Nrage 1.61

Apple275

Smash Rookie
In my city, there are old video game stores that have N64 controllers in great condition. You should look around for places like these

Zantetsu

Smash Master

Morin0

Smash Lord
I did this and to me, it matches very close to the Raphnet GCN->64 adapter, and it passes the stick jump test. I'm fixing to make a more accurate tutorial on what all I did to do this.

http://smashboards.com/threads/n64-controllers-discussion.335532/page-13#post-19593891
Am I missing something? In the post, you are talking about a N64 controller. I'm talking about a GameCube controller. Unless instead of a N64 controller, you do this with a GameCube controller?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Am I missing something? In the post, you are talking about a N64 controller. I'm talking about a GameCube controller. Unless instead of a N64 controller, you do this with a GameCube controller?
You're not missing anything, I apparently forgot that I wrote that in reference to a 64 controller. My bad.

You can use this same method with a GCN controller & adapter as well. Hopefully I can get some time together in the next day or two to release a more detailed tutorial.

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
I look forward to it. It sounds like an interesting approach to getting controllers to get as close to console as possible.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
What n64 emulator are you using? Whenever I try to run the controllertest rom, it crashes immediately with an opcode error.
I used the MESS emulator.

Follow those two links:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8121623&t=7349580
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7349580/1/

From what I remember when I tried to have it working, you need to find the N64.zip on your own (it's not really hard using google but it's not linked in any of the posts IIRC).

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot man, got it working.

Edit: So, here's some stuff.

Here's two OG sticks I have:
https://i.imgur.com/myHKW50.png
https://i.imgur.com/wDknWgf.png

The first one is one I just have lying around as a backup, the second one I regularly use in competitive play. Both are lubricated. I find it odd that they both lack range in the +X direction. Anyone know what might cause this? Since they both have it, I would assume it was a problem with my adapter configuration, except that dxtweak shows the problem is visible with the raw values as well.

Last edited:

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Maybe when you put your stick back in the case, the stick is slightly off to the left? It's the first time I've seen that happen. My used OEM sticks lack range in both +X and -X equally so I can't help you.

12ssb

Smash Rookie
So I've obtained a brand new OEM N64 controller, haven't used it whatsoever, and I'm fixing to make 3D scans of all the control stick parts (even the ones that aren't known to wear down, because you know, just in case). I'll upload the .stl files after I scan them, which will probably be sometime within the next week or few.

Of course after making scans, I will proceed to 3D print copies of all the pieces that need replacing in my old controllers. Except the black gears, which I'll order from Kitsch-Bent while I can (too bad they don't sell the other pieces). I compared the brand new stick to the stick from a moderately used controller, and it actually looks like there is a tiny difference. The nub on the new one looks more perfectly rounded, whereas the used one's nub looks a bit sloppy. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me though, maybe as a result of some smudge marks on the used one. I guess I could 3D scan both in order to make a precise comparison. And of course I'll replace that stupid white powder source bowl.

So I'm replacing the gears, the bowl, and possibly the stick. Is there anything I'm missing? Just so I don't end up having to make an extra trip to the 3D printing lab.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I'm selling a Jerek stick N64 controller. It's a N64 controller with the Derek stick installed; however, it also has micro's sensitivity PCB fix installed. (3.0) It's a solid controller. I'm selling it for $25. Message me if you're interested.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
So I've obtained a brand new OEM N64 controller, haven't used it whatsoever, and I'm fixing to make 3D scans of all the control stick parts (even the ones that aren't known to wear down, because you know, just in case). I'll upload the .stl files after I scan them, which will probably be sometime within the next week or few.

Of course after making scans, I will proceed to 3D print copies of all the pieces that need replacing in my old controllers. Except the black gears, which I'll order from Kitsch-Bent while I can (too bad they don't sell the other pieces). I compared the brand new stick to the stick from a moderately used controller, and it actually looks like there is a tiny difference. The nub on the new one looks more perfectly rounded, whereas the used one's nub looks a bit sloppy. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me though, maybe as a result of some smudge marks on the used one. I guess I could 3D scan both in order to make a precise comparison. And of course I'll replace that stupid white powder source bowl.

So I'm replacing the gears, the bowl, and possibly the stick. Is there anything I'm missing? Just so I don't end up having to make an extra trip to the 3D printing lab.
If you don't mind, I'd be interested in a 3d model of the original N64 restrictor gate. The problem in most replacement sticks is that the restrictor has mainly an octogonal shape compared to the square shape of the original. Being able to obtain 3d models of it would greatly help to produce accurate durable replacement sticks. Here is a picture between original stick and gc style stick with pcb change.

http://i.imgur.com/agiLtfh.png

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I'm selling a Jerek stick N64 controller. It's a N64 controller with the Derek stick installed; however, it also has micro's sensitivity PCB fix installed. (3.0) It's a solid controller. I'm selling it for $25. Message me if you're interested.
Hey Morin0, I'm kinda interested in the Jerek stick but I'd wanna see what kind of result it gets from the controllertest rom. Would you be able to test it and produce the benchmark result?

Top Bottom