• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N-air lock (More 0-Deaths)

EOE

Smash Apprentice

The lock does not work (or is too inconsistent) on the following characters:
Too low to ground after footstool - Lucario, Link, Sheik, Toon Link, Olimar, Robin, Charizard
Too wide to hit sour spot - ROB, Bowser Jr
Too hard to footstool - Ness, Villager, Mr Game & Watch, Pikachu
To side of opponent - Jigglypuff, Kirby

The soft N-air will do 5% from the front and 4% from the back on characters with thin hurtboxes (e.g Peach, Zelda, Falcon).
It will do 6% from the front and 5% from the back on characters with even slightly wider hurtboxes (e.g Ike, Palutena, Mario).

To sweet-spot the turnip, it must hit the opponent quickly after being thrown (you can't throw it too early).
If you are using the second variant of the combo shown in the video (where the opponent doesn't stand up), you have to immediately throw the turnip after each N-air to get the sweet-spot (11%).

However, remember that the N-air will not lock characters after about 70%. This means that it's going to be okay to miss the sweet-spot most of the time. You might even want to hit the sour spot to keep them in the lock a little longer.

The most damage efficient way to end the combo is with a turnip insta-throw > U-smash combo (or frying pan).

Last edited:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
@ EOE EOE please stop this isn't good for my heart too much excitement.

But seriously amazing job. Keep them coming! :D
This really is crazy - I had absolutely no idea that the Nair would actually trap people after D Throw -> Footstool...I really hope these work in the Wii U version and I can't wait for the day someone actually pulls this off in a match :)

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Damn. Great find. Only thing with those dthrow turnip combos is that they are very very hard to start.
I guess I have to wait for a Mr. Saturn to show up every match :p

Edit: Wait, can't they roll out of footstool? Or better said, why can't they roll?

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I serisouly want to find some set ups for this. This looks amazing for peach.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
All these discoveries... ♥
I'm so glad Peach has all these tools this time around. Hopefully it will propel her to new heights !

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much @ EOE EOE for all of this. Yet another thing to lab... Thankfully this seems much easier to input.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
While I do think this is useful and cool she can do this, I'm not sure how consistent this is to land and trap people in.

I feel like Diddy's in Brawl was easier than this, still cool find.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Peach is becoming the monster Id know she would be!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
While I do think this is useful and cool she can do this, I'm not sure how consistent this is to land and trap people in.

I feel like Diddy's in Brawl was easier than this, still cool find.
If they do something unsafe on shield and you are fast enough you can pull this off. Also if they do something laggy and you are near them. You can go in with shield or run up to them and evade behind them, they throw a punch you punish with this. or use it to bait and punish a roll, side step. If you adapt to how your opponent is playing and bait a reaction out of him, you can punish with this instead of a typical punish one would usually do.

There has been many times where I have z-dropped out of shield and punished with footstool Dair. or jumped over an opponent and z droped on them to a footstool nair. I'll just replace that option with this. This is something that can realistically happen often. Just need to think outside the box.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If they do something unsafe on shield and you are fast enough you can pull this off. Also if they do something laggy and you are near them. You can go in with shield or run up to them and evade behind them, they throw a punch you punish with this. or use it to bait and punish a roll, side step. If you adapt to how your opponent is playing and bait a reaction out of him, you can punish with this instead of a typical punish one would usually do.

There has been many times where I have z-dropped out of shield and punished with footstool Dair. or jumped over an opponent and z droped on them to a footstool nair. I'll just replace that option with this. This is something that can realistically happen often. Just need to think outside the box.
Ehh, a lot of this also applied to the Diddy one and I still think it was more consistent than this.

This is still useful, I won't lie about that and it can happen. I just think this isn't going to lock people up consistently.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Good thing I don't think like that. have you ever ran into a person that actually got all this stuff done and when they had the chance try it off. Have you even noticed times the player could have done it and decided to do something else?

Think it's time people thought outside the box. Think of it as a solid edguard with a character. it's not always gonna happen But if you have that chance to pull it off and you can do it, you could end a stock hella early. practice and know when you have a shot to pull it off. And then apply it.

And as I said. I have had many openings to do this. But I just replaced it with z drops out of shield when I block things such as dash attack or spot dodge grabs. NOW, I'm just gonna replace it with this. You did not see diddy's foot sttool Nanner lock opponents over and over left and right in matches right? That only happened when the chance was granted to do so. Same applies here.

I'm not gonna sit here and play chicken. I'm starting early, anything that comes out with my character I'm putting tears and sweat into it till I get it down. not using something that can help is just making the match less stressful for my opponent and giving him a small window to win. I did that in brawl. I'm not gonna do it in this game.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I feel like these sorts of Turnip combos will be much, much easier on the Wii U version when you can use the C Stick. With shield stun being so low in this game I imagine someone might be able to find an opportunity to use this and the other various Turnip combos in a match...

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Added to the OP:

The lock does not work (or is too inconsistent) on the following characters:
Too low to ground after footstool - Lucario, Link, Sheik, Toon Link, Olimar, Robin, Charizard
Too wide to hit sour spot - ROB, Bowser Jr
Too hard to footstool - Ness, Villager, Mr Game & Watch, Pikachu
To side of opponent - Jigglypuff, Kirby

The soft N-air will do 5% from the front and 4% from the back on characters with thin hurtboxes (e.g Peach, Zelda, Falcon).
It will do 6% from the front and 5% from the back on characters with even slightly wider hurtboxes (e.g Ike, Palutena, Mario).

To sweet-spot the turnip, it must hit the opponent quickly after being thrown (you can't throw it too early).
If you are using the second variant of the combo shown in the video (where the opponent doesn't stand up), you have to immediately throw the turnip after each N-air to get the sweet-spot (11%).

However, remember that the N-air will not lock characters after about 70%. This means that it's going to be okay to miss the sweet-spot most of the time. You might even want to hit the sour spot to keep them in the lock a little longer.

The most damage efficient way to end the combo is with a turnip insta-throw > U-smash combo (or frying pan).

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
This is like a zero to NEAR death combo.

GET IT?

Dude, seriously you are amazing. Once the Wii U hits, i'm going to spend hours and hours mastering these to make the timing simply but a reflex so I can try them in tournaments.

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
So I've tried testing the lock on all the characters myself. I've found success in doing it on Bowser Jr., Sheik, Toon Link, Kirby, Charizard, Lucario, ROB, and Villager. Jigglypuff too, somewhat. I think further testing is needed for those characters. Timing of the d-throw, duration of the float, fastfalling of the nair, drifting of the nair, etc. are all variables that need to be tweaked to get it to work on them. I definitely could not get it to work on G&W, Link, Robin, Pikachu, Ness, or Olimar, so I agree with those.

Then I tested it on the rest of the cast. Yoshi, Pit, Dark Pit (who I couldn't even get it to work consistently on), Meta Knight, and Duck Hunt require some pretty strict timing. For Donkey Kong, I'm not able to recatch the turnip with nair, and thus can't get the lock to work on him. For Rosalina, I believe she is able to escape the lock by using Luma to attack us. For Fox, I've found locking him really inconsistent. I think he has to have some percent on him first because otherwise it doesn't seem he gets hit into the ground by the footstool after the turnip.

Besides those characters, it's easy to do the nair lock on the rest of them. It helps to go into training mode to learn the timing individually for each character.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
I've found success in doing it on Bowser Jr., Sheik, Toon Link, Kirby, Charizard, Lucario, ROB, and Villager. Jigglypuff too, somewhat.

Yoshi, Pit, Dark Pit (who I couldn't even get it to work consistently on), Meta Knight, and Duck Hunt require some pretty strict timing.
For Donkey Kong, I'm not able to recatch the turnip with nair, and thus can't get the lock to work on him.
For Rosalina, I believe she is able to escape the lock by using Luma to attack us.
For Fox, I've found locking him really inconsistent.
Note that I didn't test the characters in training mode because I don't trust it. Haha
I basically used CPUs to test every character, and added characters to the inconsistent list when I couldn't get it after 3-4 attempts.

Looking at each character you mentioned individually:
Yoshi, Pit, Dark Pit, Meta Knight and Duck Hunt are relatively wide characters, making the sour spot harder to hit (Pac-Man also).
Bowser Jr falls into a similar category as Palutena, where you have to ff N-air. However, he is also a wide character, making the lock difficult to hit on him (the same applies to R.O.B).

Peach is left very close to the ground after footstooling Sheik, Tink, Charizard and Lucario, making the sour-spot difficult to connect.
It is actually possible to lock these characters, as well as the other characters I put in that category.
Basically what you have to do is: Turnip throw > Footstool > allow Peach to rise after the footstool before floating > Fast fall N-air.
It's so inconsistent that I decided to put those character here.

Kirby and Jigglypuff are strange because Peach is left to their side after a footstool. But they can be locked in the same way mentioned above.

I put Villager in the 'too hard to footstool' section because, like the other characters there, he is short and is not popped up high enough from the turnip, meaning you have to jump>footstool immediately after the turnip throw.

Your right about Fox, I must have forgot to add him to the inconsistent list. What I have written down about him is that he isn't popped up far enough by the turnip until 7%. I'll test him out more when I get the chance.

When testing this, I considered things like Rush cancelling and Luma, but decided to leave them out in the end because I'm not entirely sure how they work. Haha.

Last edited:

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
Yeaaah, I'm not sure how legit training mode is, lol. I'm planning to go into vs. mode to save replays of nair locks on all the possible characters, to serve as visual aids of sorts. :p And thanks for clarifying all of those. I can see why it'd be inconsistent to get it to work on them in an actual match when you have to vary the timing in such a precise manner. Ah well, it's easy enough on the rest of the cast.

Top Bottom