• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My views on what the Brawl roster should be.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
How is Marth a Japanese only character when we have Melee...I distinctly remember him in Melee...

FE 1&3 were Japnese only, but Marth isn't
You TOTALLY Misunderstood what I said. He was a Japanese only character UP UNTIL Melee, and the point I was trying to make was that if there was one Japanese only character in the game. Takamaru would be my pick

Sorry for the confusion Incarnate:(

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by Atacusbebop123
I only disagree with Captain Olimar and AC Human
OTHERWISE I second your entire list
Could you please elaborate more on why you disagree with Captain Olimar's inclusion in Brawl?

-Knight

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Okay, updated with a potential character list (only a few, though, I don't feel like doing much at the moment) and a boss, the potential characters you may disagree with but there'll be more characters with potential I'll put on there that most people can agree with that didn't make the cut to my list.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Medusa's true form looked more like a thin, Green skinned, green haired woman in Kid Icarus...

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Lucario is much more than just a random PKMN, and he WILL be in, I'm 100% sure.

I think characters such as Bomberman or Megaman have about 1/10 of Lucario's chances of inclusion.

But props to trying to make a fair roster with at least some logic behind it.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Honestly, Lucario is much more than just a random PKMN, and he WILL be in, I'm 100% sure.

I think characters such as Bomberman or Megaman have about 1/10 of Lucario's chances of inclusion.
Er...what? I'm going to be blunt about this (maybe I should make a character section about why certain characters shouldn't be in?).

Lucario has hardly a chance in Brawl, literally. He hardly has any merit other than being the star of his movie, which was only made to market on the revealed 4th gen Pokemon. Somehow people think that every Pokemon movie HAS to star a legendary, but this time it obviously didn't. And yet, that is just anime merit, something that doesn't count very much.

As for his game merit? He plays the role of the rare, but yet average, Pokemon, kinda like the role of Sudowoodo and Snorlax in the past games. Other than that, he isn't very special. He's cool, and one of my favorite 4th gen Pokemon, but he has hardly a chance to be in, just as much as Lyn or Deoxys had a chance to be in (both which I called to not be in before they were deconfirmed), or Munchlax or Mr. Resetti. That pretty much makes his chances VERY slim.

And besides, we already have enough Pokemon reps. Pikachu, Jigglypuff (if he's in), Mewtwo (if he's in), Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. That's enough for Brawl, there honestly doesn't deserve to be that much more, make way for more characters, plz.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I love this list's layout and design!

Takamaru really doesn't stand much of a chance at all, it's like suggesting Caterpie sure it could happen but we all know it won't it's just silly.

Geno won't be in silly! He's third party and an unimportant character to his franchise (Mario) and to his company (Square)

Claus HA! Mother won't get two characters, you have to be kidding me to think that it would get more than one, it was stupid enough of sakurai to give the series that first representation in the first place, it was never a major or really popular series and never will be!

You have four starfox characters! That is crock! Remove either Wolf or Falco, we don't need 3 gun weilding animals running around do we?

Mach Rider same as Takamaru.

Bomberman won't make it, seriously.

Ray01 same as Takamaru.

Animal Crossing Human is deconfirmed according to the Brawl Graveyard as it's in the background, but that thread is a load of ****. ACH would be awsome!

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I honestly hope you're kidding me, especially since all have been pointed out to be extremely possible characters, especially Takamaru.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Marth says hello, since he was apparently a "random retro character" by your definition of what it is.
A random retro character with 2 games and anime and he represented a series with 5 games at the time which was planned to be released outside of japan very soon after melee's release. (Which didn't end up happening and we had to wait until FE7 instead :()

Sakurai is making the game...He considers Geno a nintendo character. G
The Law > One Man's opinion.

She's just too similar to Diddy.
Have you ever played DKC2?

I honestly hope you're kidding me, especially since all have been pointed out to be extremely possible characters, especially Takamaru.
Not really, they were big characters in Japan, nowhere else. They didn't really do much if anything for Nintendo's History (Except for Joy Mech Fight, but those characters would be better off as ATs probably)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A random retro character with 2 games and anime and he represented a series with 5 games at the time which was planned to be released outside of japan very soon after melee's release. (Which didn't end up happening and we had to wait until FE7 instead :()

The Law > One Man's opinion.

Have you ever played DKC2?

Not really, they were big characters in Japan, nowhere else. They didn't really do much if anything for Nintendo's History (Except for Joy Mech Fight, but those characters would be better off as ATs probably)
Do you ever have a point, or do you just feel the need to bash every character you don't like?

Besides, when people say Sakurai considers Geno a Nintendo character, they mean they will still ask Square for permission but he won't count it against the 1-2 characters. How hard is that to understand?

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
if i had a dollar on how many times everyone wanted Ridley, i'd be richer than Richie rich!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
if i had a dollar on how many times everyone wanted Ridley, i'd be richer than Richie rich!
Well since not everyone has ever wanted Ridley...you'd have nothing...especially since it definetly hasn't happened before...

But quite a bit of people do

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yeah, and Nazo no Murasame-jō was one of the most popular games on the Famicom Disk System, right next to Zelda's ranks. Even more popular than Fire Emblem. However, it didn't receive a sequel, but no one knows why, as it sold very well and had huge potential. It was a very popular game but yet Nintendo supposedly decided not to give it a sequel. I think the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto didn't work on it had to do something with it, though.
I hate to break it to ya, but Nazo no Murasame-jō did a LOT to Nintendo history, making their system a huge hit with the solid titles, with one of them being as such. Like I said, it's importance during the time was around the ranks of Zelda, and its popularity, it just didn't get a sequel.

And how would Skapon make AT status when he has every move and potential straight from his own game?

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Er...what? I'm going to be blunt about this (maybe I should make a character section about why certain characters shouldn't be in?).

Lucario has hardly a chance in Brawl, literally. He hardly has any merit other than being the star of his movie, which was only made to market on the revealed 4th gen Pokemon. Somehow people think that every Pokemon movie HAS to star a legendary, but this time it obviously didn't. And yet, that is just anime merit, something that doesn't count very much.

As for his game merit? He plays the role of the rare, but yet average, Pokemon, kinda like the role of Sudowoodo and Snorlax in the past games. Other than that, he isn't very special. He's cool, and one of my favorite 4th gen Pokemon, but he has hardly a chance to be in, just as much as Lyn or Deoxys had a chance to be in (both which I called to not be in before they were deconfirmed), or Munchlax or Mr. Resetti. That pretty much makes his chances VERY slim.

And besides, we already have enough Pokemon reps. Pikachu, Jigglypuff (if he's in), Mewtwo (if he's in), Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. That's enough for Brawl, there honestly doesn't deserve to be that much more, make way for more characters, plz.
You forgot to mention that Lucario was one of about six Pokemon used as advance marketing for D/P. And it continues to have a strong presence in marketing and merchandising. Also, Lucario still has great popularity, which only started to wane in the spring of this year, obviously after the characters were all firmly decided.
I still think there will be 5 playable Pokemon characters on the Brawl menu. PT is only one playable character on the Brawl screen, even if he effectively represents 3. These three only affect development, not the most important thing-the character screen. I just find it odd that Pokemon would continue to have the same number of characters on the screen.
Also, obtaining it is the subject of a major sidequest, and it's used by a Gym Leader and the Champion of the Elite Four. Lucario's chances are far higher than most other Pokemon, if only because the 4th generation needs an adequate presence, and nothing would do it quite like a playable rep.

The top tier of possibility:
Lucario
Meowth
Gardevoir

Any other Pokemon:
No chance in hell.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You forgot to mention that Lucario was one of about six Pokemon used as advance marketing for D/P. And it continues to have a strong presence in marketing and merchandising. Also, Lucario still has great popularity, which only started to wane in the spring of this year, obviously after the characters were all firmly decided.
I still think there will be 5 playable Pokemon characters on the Brawl menu. PT is only one playable character on the Brawl screen, even if he effectively represents 3. These three only affect development, not the most important thing-the character screen. I just find it odd that Pokemon would continue to have the same number of characters on the screen.
Also, obtaining it is the subject of a major sidequest, and it's used by a Gym Leader and the Champion of the Elite Four. Lucario's chances are far higher than most other Pokemon, if only because the 4th generation needs an adequate presence, and nothing would do it quite like a playable rep.

The top tier of possibility:
Lucario
Meowth
Gardevoir

Any other Pokemon:
No chance in hell.
Yeah, don't forget Darkrai, since he has an even bigger fanbase in Japan and is actually a legendary, he must have a high chance too!

And by that logic of Lucario having a high chance just because he was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon to be revealed, Bonsly and Mime Jr. must also have a huge chance, along with Weavile. And even Munchlax!!

WHAT?!! POKEBALL POKEMON?!! BUT HE WAS SOOOOOO IMPORTANT!!!

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Yeah, don't forget Darkrai, since he has an even bigger fanbase in Japan and is actually a legendary, he must have a high chance too!

And by that logic of Lucario having a high chance just because he was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon to be revealed, Bonsly and Mime Jr. must also have a huge chance, along with Weavile. And even Munchlax!!

WHAT?!! POKEBALL POKEMON?!! BUT HE WAS SOOOOOO IMPORTANT!!!
Luke wins. Flawless Victory.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I hate to break it to ya, but Nazo no Murasame-jō did a LOT to Nintendo history, making their system a huge hit with the solid titles, with one of them being as such. Like I said, it's importance during the time was around the ranks of Zelda, and its popularity, it just didn't get a sequel.
Takamaru's game did the same as DK Jr, DK, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3, LoZ 1 and 2, The Metroid games on the NES and so many more, what makes Nazo no Murasame-jo so special? NOTHING! It never recieved a sequal so Nintendo probably didn't see enough potential in it and it would have never made it outside of Japan anyway, very little market for Japanese Ninja Samurai type games really. It's not important like Joy Mech Fight, it was revoloutionary it didn't even recieve a sequal! A trophy would be fine maybe even an AT, but even that is a stretch.

And how would Skapon make AT status when he has every move and potential straight from his own game?
They aren't popular or well known enough to make a playable appearance but important enough to be an AT. They would make a good character and have a lot of potential but they just aren't well known enough or popular enough or worldwide enough to make an appearance as a playable character.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Takamaru's game did the same as DK Jr, DK, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3, LoZ 1 and 2, The Metroid games on the NES and so many more, what makes Nazo no Murasame-jo so special? NOTHING!
So you're saying Mario, Link, Samus, Dokey Kong, Pit, and MANY other characters don't deserve a spot according to this idea?
They aren't popular or well known enough to make a playable appearance but important enough to be an AT. They would make a good character and have a lot of potential but they just aren't well known enough or popular enough or worldwide enough to make an appearance as a playable character.
Since when was a character needed to be popular enough worldwide?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
So you're saying Mario, Link, Samus, Dokey Kong, Pit, and MANY other characters don't deserve a spot according to this idea?
No because they all come from succsuful series not just a single game, well for Pit two games but they were released worldwide which gives him recognisablity and popularity worldwide, something Takamaru does not have.

Since when was a character needed to be popular enough worldwide?
It sure does help, especially with Sakurai saying he doesn't want too many Japan only characters in this game.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
No because they all come from succsuful series not just a single game,
Nazo no Murasame-jō IS a successful series, just with only one game, but indeed very sucessful, it just happen to not get caught up in the fray of expanding on the series like what happened with Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and other series.
well for Pit two games but they were released worldwide which gives him recognisablity and popularity worldwide, something Takamaru does not have.
Mind you, just for the record, Kid Icarus sold like sh-t in all places, so it was not as popular as Nazo no Murasame-jō was as a whole, just more recognizable all over since it came out in more than one country. And since when did a character needed to be released worldwide to be in? Marth is a prime example of this. Yeah, he was stressed upon greatly, but he still didn't reach the success that Nazo no Murasame-jō did in his own game.
It sure does help, especially with Sakurai saying he doesn't want too many Japan only characters in this game.
Exactly, since when does Takamaru count as too many Japan-only characters? Especially since he's one of the most important ones out there, one of the most popular and holds a great legacy (which is apparent as just about every Famicom music remix CD thing, you'll see the theme of Nazo no Murasame-jō right next to a remixed theme of Mario). Compared to every Japan-only character out there, Takamaru stands high above them to being in the game. Sure we don't need random Japan-only characters like Stafy, Demille, Doshin, etc. or whatever, but I've stated by we need Takamaru, even if he was, say, the only Japan-only character (Lucas and Claus might not be counted in this case, as Mother 3 might just be released sometime), he holds a high importance in Nintendo's history.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
I dont think young link should return afterall he is just link from the begining of ocorina of time. So why have two links. Also hes moveset made no sense and I think there are way better choices. But you have made a very good thread with reasonable predictions. No random third party characters are anythng. 2 thumbs up.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Well, I'm kinda nifty with Young Link, I don't care too much if he's in or not, but I would rather him in, due to his possibility of being actually original. Characters like Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu just don't scream any potential at all, and are better booted (or in Dr. Mario's case, an alt. for Mario). So decided to leave them out completely, really.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
Well, I'm kinda nifty with Young Link, I don't care too much if he's in or not, but I would rather him in, due to his possibility of being actually original. Characters like Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu just don't scream any potential at all, and are better booted (or in Dr. Mario's case, an alt. for Mario). So decided to leave them out completely, really.
I agree. Like yyoung link should use deku seeds/sticks or the slingshot. Those would be more true to the game.

Wow... Medusa is ugly... >_>;

Hey! I like mime jr... >_>;

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Nazo no Murasame-jō IS a successful series, just with only one game, but indeed very sucessful, it just happen to not get caught up in the fray of expanding on the series like what happened with Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and other series.
One game isn't a series, it's a standalone game.

Mind you, just for the record, Kid Icarus sold like sh-t in all places, so it was not as popular as Nazo no Murasame-jō was as a whole, just more recognizable all over since it came out in more than one country. And since when did a character needed to be released worldwide to be in? Marth is a prime example of this. Yeah, he was stressed upon greatly, but he still didn't reach the success that Nazo no Murasame-jō did in his own game.
Since Sakurai said he didn't want too many Japan Only characters.

Exactly, since when does Takamaru count as too many Japan-only characters? Especially since he's one of the most important ones out there, one of the most popular and holds a great legacy (which is apparent as just about every Famicom music remix CD thing, you'll see the theme of Nazo no Murasame-jō right next to a remixed theme of Mario). Compared to every Japan-only character out there, Takamaru stands high above them to being in the game. Sure we don't need random Japan-only characters like Stafy, Demille, Doshin, etc. or whatever, but I've stated by we need Takamaru, even if he was, say, the only Japan-only character (Lucas and Claus might not be counted in this case, as Mother 3 might just be released sometime), he holds a high importance in Nintendo's history.
He holds no importance in Nintendo's History if they need a Japan Only character what about Lucas even though his game will never leave Japan he's at least recent, what about Stafy he actually has a chance of coming out over here. What about Sigurd, his game is coming to the VC in english! There are a lot of better Japan Only characters.

Nintendo_Rockstar

Smash Cadet
Mario series:

Veterans:
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser

Newcomers:
- Bowser Jr.
he appeared in main series games - Sunshine, NSMB
- Daisy
she appeared in main series games - Super Mario Land for the GB
- Waluigi
he only appeared in spinoffs - only important role was in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix - has the least chances of becoming playable out of the 3

Not coming back:
- Dr. Mario
becomes an alternative suit for Mario

Pokemon series:

Veterans:
- Pikachu
- Jigglypuff
- Mewtwo
- Pichu (completely redone)

Newcomers:
- Pokemon Trainer
- Lucario
best known 4th gen rep - starred in one of the best Pokemon movies - Best rank in Mystery Dungeon is Lucario Rank
- Meowth
best known Pokemon next to Pikachu!
- Darkrai
just maybe, I don't really care bout him, but he's a pretty popular 4th gen legendary Pokemon

Not coming back:
- Pichu
possibly... but he could be redone and no longer be a clone

Pokemon that should have been playable but have been confirmed as Pokeball Pokemon:
- Deoxys
best choice for a 3rd gen rep
- Munchlax
second best known 4th gen Pokemon next to Lucario

The Legend of Zelda series:

Veterans:
- Link
- Zelda
- Ganondorf

Newcomers:
- Midna + Wolf Link

Not coming back:
- Young Link
- Sheik

Kirby series:

Veterans:
- Kirby

Newcomers:
- Meta Knight
- King Dedede

Donkey Kong series:

Veterans:
- Donkey Kong

Newcomers:
- Diddy Kong
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool

Yoshi series:

Veterans:
- Yoshi

Wario Land/WarioWare series:

Newcomers:
- Wario

Star Fox series:

Veterans:
- Fox
- Falco

Newcomers:
- Krystal
- Wolf

Metroid series:

Veterans:
- Samus

Newcomers:
- Zero Suit Samus
- Ridley

F-Zero series:

Veterans:
- Captain Falcon

Characters that should have been playable but have been confirmed as AT:
- Samurai Goroh
because of this Pico's and Dr. Steward's chances aren't that big, Samurai Goroh being the best possible rep of the series

but what the hey...
Newcomers:
- Pico
- Dr. Steward
- Black Shadow
- Blood Falcon (this would be a real live clone, so no...)

EarthBound series:

Veterans:
- Ness

Newcomers:
- Lucas

Fire Emblem series:

Veterans:
- Marth (cuz he was the main character of the first FE game ever created)

Newcomers:
- Ike

Not coming back:
- Roy
cause he was in just to promote his own game which was not even out by the time Melee was released

Characters that should have been playable but have been confirmed as AT:
- Lyn!!!

Animal Crossing series:

Newcomers:
- Human (Smashkid)

Misc. series:

Veterans:
- Ice Climbers
- Mr. Game & Watch

Newcomers:
- Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
- Ray 01 (Custom Robo)
- Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
- Jill (Drill Dozer)
- Issac (Golden Sun)
- Felix (Golden Sun)
- Andy (Andvance Wars)

THE END... I guess...

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Geno was mentioned on the poll just as much as Ridley (generally regarded as being a highly likely addition), Diddy Kong (confirmed), and Ike (confirmed). The only character mentioned more than Geno was DeDeDe (4 to 5). Try and tell me that Sakurai doesn't hold Geno in the same regard as Diddy, Ike, and Ridley. He doesn't have that poll for nothing; he uses it to make character decisions.

EDIT: Will everybody please stop talking about set character slots? There isn't a limit to the amount of third-party characters that will be in. Sakurai won't say "Geno is very popular, and I really want him in, but I already used up my third-party slots. :("

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Try and tell me that Sakurai doesn't hold Geno in the same regard as Diddy, Ike, and Ridley. He doesn't have that poll for nothing; he uses it to make character decisions.
Sakurai cannot hold Geno in the same regard as Diddy, Ike, and Ridley because unlike the latter I mentioned Geno is 3rd Party (Owned by square enix). If S-E says no guess what? Geno doesn't get in. If Geno was not 3rd Party then there wouldn't be so much doubt about him being included into Brawl.

-Knight

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Sakurai cannot hold Geno in the same regard as Diddy, Ike, and Ridley because unlike the latter I mentioned Geno is 3rd Party (Owned by square enix). If S-E says no guess what? Geno doesn't get in. If Geno was not 3rd Party then there wouldn't be so much doubt about him being included into Brawl.

-Knight
Why exactly would SE say no? They've already lent Geno for Mario & Luigi. And they get paid royalties. There isn't any reason that SE would say no.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
One game isn't a series, it's a standalone game.
A standalone game counts as a series, ever, that's always applied. And just to mention, Nazo no Murasame-jō was re-released in Japan's version of the Classic series for the GBA, so yes, even though it's a re-release, it is not just a standalone game as you put it.
Since Sakurai said he didn't want too many Japan Only characters.
So it isn't possible to you or something, especially with Takamaru's high prestige over characters like Marth who WAS in Melee?
He holds no importance in Nintendo's History
For f-ck's sake, I've explained it countless of times, I will NOT explain it again if you're just going to keep on ignorantly saying that constantly like some ****.
if they need a Japan Only character what about Lucas even though his game will never leave Japan he's at least recent, what about Stafy he actually has a chance of coming out over here. What about Sigurd, his game is coming to the VC in english! There are a lot of better Japan Only characters.
Stafy has no chance over Takamaru. He's popular in Japan, but he honestly lacks potential for an actual unique moveset and character for sh-t. I much rather the style of a samurai rather than a star who can only spin to kill enemies. And Takamaru is actually on the poll, when Stafy is, well, not. Which shows how much Japan wants their precious Stafy to be in Brawl as playable. And Sigurd could possibly be in, as I covered in my thoughts about Marth, I could see him possibly replacing Marth as a representative for a retro Fire Emblem.

thejbr12

Smash Apprentice
I dont think young link should return afterall he is just link from the begining of ocorina of time. So why have two links. Also hes moveset made no sense and I think there are way better choices. But you have made a very good thread with reasonable predictions. No random third party characters are anythng. 2 thumbs up.
Young Link is NOT Link from the beginning of OoT (though his character from Melee is). Young Link has been in many many more games than adult Link. In fact, Young Link is actually the "true" Link, which caused many people to wonder why the Link's in Melee were not named "Adult Link" and "Link." Offhand, I can only think of Twilight and OoT as games Adult Link actually appeared in. So while, in the interest of no clones, I'd understand them cutting YL out, I'd much rather they change him to a WW-style or even Link to the Past style Link (remember the boots? I used to love running full-speed into walls!)

Top Bottom