• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: The Bidou Tech

Famous YouTube channel My Smash Corner has recently uploaded a video explaining what it could be one of the most game changing techs in Smash 4, the Bidou Tech.

This tech requires changing your control scheme and performing certain actions to manipulate how the game reads an input, making frame-perfect techs more easy. Among the large arsenal of things you can do with this tech is the Sliding Spot Dodge, Instant Dash Attack, and many, many more!

What do you think about this tech? Will you apply this technique? Do you think it's as game changing as it sounds? Let us know in the comments. And don't forget to check out My Smash Corner and to follow on Twiitter @MySmashCorner

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

way too many cons imo.

have to get used to an uncomfortable setup, relearning the entire control setup, and for what? a few situational "easier" ways to perform things technically already possible.

This really isn't that much like wave dashing. The biggest problem with this tech that makes it far inferior and less gamechanging is simply that it doesn't change your momentum in the way that wavedashing does.

In Melee, you can be moving forward and waveland backwards to completely reverse your momentum. This total control over your momentum is what makes it great for things like baiting moves out etc. With PPing, if you try to land and slide back, all its gonna do is have you sit in place. You can only slide around in a pretty predictable way unless you are standing still on the ground.

Its combo extending properties and all that are sorta cool for a select few characters, but you've basically traded the difficulty of PPing and put it onto c stick aerials. I don't think that this will be worth it in the long run for lots of characters like Falcon, because you are basically giving up the ability to do consistent frame perfect instant up airs, which is way more valuable.

So this looks fairly potent, at least. I'd love to see people actually try this and being able to really display its strength at some point in actual (tournament) play. Though I wonder how potent it'll really turn out to be, not to mention how many people will actually seriously end up using this and who.

I know I'm not going to be using it, though. I'm not hardcore competitive enough (let alone good enough, for that matter) to try and use and adapt to this kind of stuff, but I find it fascinating all the same.

Last edited:
I really think it looks more difficult than it is.

This could be something that puts SSB4 on the proverbial "map" for competitive fighting games. I'm having a ball imagining the possibilities.

Here's my take on this whole Bidou tech thing.
  • Yes I could do a perfect pivot back in order to outspace someone and punish them... Or I could just pivot f-tilt
  • I could do a sliding spot dodge in order to dodge someone's attack and punish... Or I could just roll or spot dodge normally.
  • I could dash attack out of a crouch... Or I could just down tilt or stand up and then dash attack.
  • I could do an edge dash attack but... I can do that already (seriously you just flick the control stick quickly and hit attack after you take your finger off the stick)
  • I could instantly wall jump from the ledge and air dodge... Or I could just drop from the ledge and double jump air dodge.
  • I could instantly run from my walk... But why? Seriously, what punishes do I miss taking like two frames to run normally?
  • I could studder my run without returning my stick to neutral position... Or I could just return my stick to neutral position. Like, that's not even hard lol.
  • Also if you can't RAR normally I really don't know what to tell you.
  • I could use Bidou to fast fall while still moving forward... Or I could move my stick down forward and then back forward quickly to keep my momentum. It's not like you need to hold down to fast fall normally.
Many of the cases a player could use Bidou there's a far more simple and just as effective option.
I agree with you a bunch...
But after the first 2 examples of the ones I left there, using Bidou is literally more effective then the alternative, not "just as effective". Except for maybe the stutter run, idk about that.

You're not losing those options, just gaining new ones for superior mixups and optimization. The only drawback, and the reason for it's unusability, is the controller annoyance.

At first I was blow away, but after doing some testing I have sobered my opinion considerably. If it catches on it will become a staple for use with certain characters.
I feel confident that I can find uses for it while playing C.Falcon, but when playing Mewtwo I feel like trading the C-stick is just too much to ask.
p.s. spot-dodge sliding is boss.

Also I can't decide if its worth learning the Bidou tech or just trying to get my PP's down the old fashioned way. I am pretty consistent with the traditional input as it is. THEN AGAIN I can stop flat out of a dash and jab at people... thats cool.

Last edited:
Maybe once we have a week or so to work on the tech we should consider making threads discussing it's level of use by character. For Ex: I am testing to see how good Quickstep Jab 1 is for Yoshi, as well as how well it helps him ledge trump. PP Dtilt has seemed great. Also I am curious to see what this could do with WeeGee!

So many people not even giving it a chance because they have to change their controls smh.
The smash 4 community is downright the laziest out of all 4 smash games.
When Shield drops where popularized a lot of people found them gimmicky and useless, but you either picked them up or got left behind in the meta.

This tech just seems a bit too difficult for competitive play. Always needing to hold down a button just to do everything fancy really isn't worth it

This tech just seems a bit too difficult for competitive play. Always needing to hold down a button just to do everything fancy really isn't worth it
Well, you're always ready to press buttons anyway, why is it difficult to choose to actually press a button? Especially when using the recommended method and using the shoulder triggers, near where you'll probably be holding the controller anyway?

The real trouble is trying to get special moves out with the tech, but that's just me not labbing it hard enough.

The year is 20MacMac, Pro Controllers flood the lands, paunches slip and slide willy nilly. We have seen Bidoof hell, and it has chocolate bars.
Smash aint no joke.

Wha?

The more I lab this, the more ways I find to get around the weaknesses. Fast SH Uair is possible, double sticking is possible, and you can weave in specials by strategically turning bidou on/off. This isn't for all characters, but I encourage everyone to at least try this. You'd be surprised what you can find. Pika has no range and no good kill options? Now he has a long, fast PP forward Fsmash.

Last edited:
This has been around for 6 months or so in Japan but I don't see them really utilising it all that much, if at all.

It certainly has the potential to change the meta but the part that concerns me is that you're always needing to hold that button down to pull this stuff off. That's going to put a lot more strain on your hands in a tournament setting. If that's not a problem for you then all the more power to you but I imagine for most people your left hand in particular is not going to appreciate it at the end of a long tournament day.

Last edited:
The more I lab this, the more ways I find to get around the weaknesses. Fast SH Uair is possible, double sticking is possible, and you can weave in specials by strategically turning bidou on/off. This isn't for all characters, but I encourage everyone to at least try this. You'd be surprised what you can find. Pika has no range and no good kill options? Now he has a long, fast PP forward Fsmash.
Now he does?... I've been PP f-smashing on Pika since I knew it was possible. Perfect pivots are very easy as is with GCC if you just practice.

I don't own a pro controller or i'd test it out but meh I'm not at all interested in rewiring my brain, GCC muscle memory since launch day Melee. I didn't even want to for attack stick, so this is an obvious NTY

But it's very awesome to see and I hope to run into some crazy Bidou players in the future to experience their funk.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been using Bidou since December/January on a few characters, and for the most part I'm beyond the point of theory. Ask me anything, I'll do my best to respond in the most intelligent, respectful, and most importantly, honest way I can muster.

Hey guys, I've been using Bidou since December/January on a few characters, and for the most part I'm beyond the point of theory. Ask me anything, I'll do my best to respond in the most intelligent, respectful, and most importantly, honest way I can muster.
I am guessing you play as Samus from your pic. Does this tech help with your awful roll? Like you are instead choosing to PP and never roll or do that PP roll cancel thing? The WFT looked like she can benefit greatly because of that low crouch. Do you find yourself being able to switch it on/off with ease or is it harder than that?

I am guessing you play as Samus from your pic. Does this tech help with your awful roll? Like you are instead choosing to PP and never roll or do that PP roll cancel thing? The WFT looked like she can benefit greatly because of that low crouch. Do you find yourself being able to switch it on/off with ease or is it harder than that?
1- Yes it does help, in ways. Here's a copy-paste from another question asked to me: "When used correctly I can get it to enhance my footsies game and get neat microspacing going on similar to how melee's dash dancing works. Combining the max range of a PP slide with crouch slide's hurtbox manipulation can net some interesting whiffs and punishes, and it's very useful against opponent's aerials with big arcing hitboxes like Sheik's or Marth's fair, or opponents with shorter limbs."

I don't use the pp spotdodge much, as I don't find out completely safe and tbh any attack that it would help would likely be punishable oos anyway. It might have niche uses that could be handy, but I just haven't found them yet.

2- For the first couple weeks, it was really weird using specials and having to consciously hold and unhold buttons, but now it's just second nature to me like breathing. I know it's a common argument against bidou, but honestly practice and muscle memory fixes everything and nullifies the argument.

-_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_-

Can you perfect pivot crouch out of an extended dash dance? If you can, that would replicate what is happening here https://gfycat.com/WigglyAccurateEasternglasslizard
except the PP would be slightly slower but give you more distance.

Also, the guy who posted the GIF said that he is doing alternate optimized extended dash dancing which is really confusing. He says the inputs are Dash towards > Rstick down/up/towards > Lstick backwards
Wouldn't this just mean tap left stick forwards to dash, right stock any direction, and lstick backwards again?

Sorry for all these questions, I would test it out if i could.

Can you perfect pivot crouch out of an extended dash dance? If you can, that would replicate what is happening here https://gfycat.com/WigglyAccurateEasternglasslizard
except the PP would be slightly slower but give you more distance.

Also, the guy who posted the GIF said that he is doing alternate optimized extended dash dancing which is really confusing. He says the inputs are Dash towards > Rstick down/up/towards > Lstick backwards
Wouldn't this just mean tap left stick forwards to dash, right stock any direction, and lstick backwards again?

Sorry for all these questions, I would test it out if i could.
Yeah I can PP out of dash dances and fox trots with ease. It's not really part of my neutral though so I do have to dedicate some amount of concentration to it, which isn't necessarily optimal, but I figure I can if I need to.

I can't comment on the dash dancing inputs he's doing though, I haven't noticed that. I just do the standard ls forward, rs forward, ls back, repeat.

Last edited:
Yeah I can PP out of dash dances and fox trots with ease. It's not really part of my neutral though so I do have to dedicate some amount of concentration to it, which isn't necessarily optimal, but I figure I can if I need to.

I can't comment on the dash dancing inputs he's doing though, I haven't noticed that. I just do the standard ls forward, rs forward, ls back, repeat.
With that traditional method, how would you control the speed and length of the dash dance?

I'm debating whether to continue using bidou and have a few questions:
1 - What is your preferred control scheme? Also, do you feel like the way you hold the special button down impacts your dexterity?
2 - What do you think about tap jump with bidou? It makes jumping out of pivots much easier for me because I have no shoulder jump button on GC, and I've been able to double-stick with L-stick up -> R-stick down -> L-stick aerial direction + Attack. Great for SH uair.
3 - How tired do your hands get after using bidou for a while? For me, my hands hurt after a couple hours and I have to stop, a bit less so if I set special to L instead of R.
Thanks!

busken busken i just control it with how long I hold the left stick down on a particular direction

I'm debating whether to continue using bidou and have a few questions:
1 - What is your preferred control scheme? Also, do you feel like the way you hold the special button down impacts your dexterity?
2 - What do you think about tap jump with bidou? It makes jumping out of pivots much easier for me because I have no shoulder jump button on GC, and I've been able to double-stick with L-stick up -> R-stick down -> L-stick aerial direction + Attack. Great for SH uair.
3 - How tired do your hands get after using bidou for a while? For me, my hands hurt after a couple hours and I have to stop, a bit less so if I set special to L instead of R.
Thanks!
1- I have l shoulder on special, l z as jump, right shoulder as grab and right z as shield, tap jump off. Pretty standard.

2- honestly never considered tap jump on. I'll think on that one.

3- my hands don't tire out at all, but I think you can blame my years of musicianship with all sorts of string instruments on that. If you think smash controls in any smash game are discouraging or carpel tunnel inducing, have fun with half page strings of 32 note arpeggios or more.

Oh wow you are a musician too? I am also trying to balance music and smash. I try to practice music for 90 mins and take 15 minute breaks for smash. What do you think of that lol? I know its a really weird question.

Also, about the Bidou I heard that you can still do c-stick aerials but you have to hold the attack button and right stick? Not sure how that would work can you confirm?

Also, thanks for answering all of my questons, you are amazing dude!

busken busken yeah i take music breaks for smash too, they both help with my talent for one another. Smash helps me slow down and be more conscious of my guitar development, and guitar keeps my hands stretched for smash.

I've heard that alternate scheme as well, but I haven't been able to replicate anything. I may be doing something wrong.

The C-stick aerials work with the original bidou scheme. You do it by smashing Attack and a direction on R-stick at the same time. You can also do smashes on the ground like this.

Side note, I figured out that holding any direction on R-stick disables Tap Jump, which gets alleviates almost all the difficulties of Tap Jump, like doing utilts or falling uairs. Also, pressing any direction but up on R-stick during jumpsquat results in a SH instead of a FH. I'm excited about Tap Jump Bidou.

Last edited:
Yes, the one with C-stick set to special and A+B smash off. Just have attack on a shoulder button and with Bidou on, input R-stick + Attack. You can control your aerial momentum and FF with L-stick while doing the aerial.

Last edited:
This entire thing is sounds like an infomercial. "Are you tired of f*cking up your perfect pivots? Well now with Bidou..."

Also, I can see why people are shooting this down but c'mon. The wavedash/spotdodge? I don't play Sm4sh much but that's gotta be helpful. At least a little.

Eh...it looks interesting enough, but having to **** about with my control scheme just to do it, makes it a no-go.

And I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo is going to release a patch to break it, with their "no advanced tech" stance.

I will preface this saying that I have never even played Smash4, but anyone that somehow thinks this scheme is not game changing is a bit foolish.

Instead of trying to find reasons why this is somehow not good, you should be testing the heck out of it instead. Also, it's incredibly silly to think that somehow these techniques are too difficult to execute competitively considering melee exists.

I would say this tech would effect Smash4 in much the same way as wavedashing did melee, not in how it functions, but in how it grants all characters the ability to maneuver better with more control. Just like wavedashing, it won't always be the answer, but it will become the norm and you will fall behind until you embrace it.

You might as well be an early adopter than one of the many that try to use excuses as to not learn it merely out of laziness and/or stubbornness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom