• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: The Bidou Tech

Famous YouTube channel My Smash Corner has recently uploaded a video explaining what it could be one of the most game changing techs in Smash 4, the Bidou Tech.

This tech requires changing your control scheme and performing certain actions to manipulate how the game reads an input, making frame-perfect techs more easy. Among the large arsenal of things you can do with this tech is the Sliding Spot Dodge, Instant Dash Attack, and many, many more!

What do you think about this tech? Will you apply this technique? Do you think it's as game changing as it sounds? Let us know in the comments. And don't forget to check out My Smash Corner and to follow on Twiitter @MySmashCorner

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

To be honest, this will probably only be useful for characters who currently have poor spacing game, and the characters that have really good ones.

Eh. Looks neat, but as winter pointed out, the whole chaining your control scheme kind of kills it for me.

Also... Wave-dashing?

Groundbreaking tech that requires a small sacrifice in reteaching yourself controls and it's being shot down already? :(

Assuming we see another patch, I'll be very surprised if this is not nerfed. Seems like a pretty big design oversight to me. Before that happens, my god this looks powerful.

Aside: the control scheme itself, even without Bidou Tech, looks very good too. Probably a more optimal layout than the pro controller standard. But fighting nearly 20 years of muscle memory gives me a headache thinking about it.

Groundbreaking tech that requires a small sacrifice in reteaching yourself controls and it's being shot down already? :(
It's being shot down because it doesn't actually do anything that can't already be accomplished.
It makes several simple tasks several times more complicated in exchange for a few situational pivot techs, none of which are as useful as just walking or pp-ing.

To much time for hardly useful tech that will result in a few input errors per match trying to do this tech.
I dunno.
From the perspective of a Melee Fox/Falco main, it's definitely worth it to learn these smaller things to further advance your overall playstyle.
It may not be for you (or me, since I main Dedede), but I think it's a little silly to see this being shot down so fast just because it's not something people can do immediately.

These things take practice, and practice takes time.
If someone puts the time and effort into mastering this, I see high mobility characters gaining more freedom in the neutral.

I think this may find similar use to Perfect Pivoting. It's useful for some characters and in certain very specific situations but it won't overhaul the meta. Still a cool find and I'm excited to see if anyone finds some creative uses for it.

For the fan of the GC controller:
special on L, attack on Z, and shield on R
work well, even if the Z is a bit uncomfortable.

Like Perfect Pivoting and other advanced techs, this might take us months for the community to consistently use and optimize it.

Also, the years spent with my classic controller pro will finally come in handy!

pros:
frame perfect directional inputs
c-stickesque aerials/smashes still possible (i checked), require practice
can easily hold trigger special during anything to activate
increased mobility options

cons:
have to learn new control scheme
must deactivate bidou to a special
some characters MAY benefit more from tilt-stick (ex: ryu?)

other:
optimum use requires pro controller

.... i'm in. already use a pro controller and custom controls that are 80% of the way to bidou as is.

Last edited:
Isn't it rather early to call something like this "meta-changing"? Remember when people were calling perfect pivots the new wavedash? Then time went on, and the technique some people claimed was going to shape Smash 4's metagame turned out to only be a little extra that can help sometimes. Like with the whole controversy surrounding Bayonetta right now, it's in our best interest to not jump to conclusions.

...And if it does end up becoming overcentralizing, it'll probably get patched out. The game wasn't balanced with its existence in mind, and as such it'd take way more reworking to keep it in and keep things balanced than it would to just take it out!

Japa
Assuming we see another patch, I'll be very surprised if this is not nerfed. Seems like a pretty big design oversight to me. Before that happens, my god this looks powerful.

Aside: the control scheme itself, even without Bidou Tech, looks very good too. Probably a more optimal layout than the pro controller standard. But fighting nearly 20 years of muscle memory gives me a headache thinking about it.
Japan has know about this for a long time, it ain't getting nerfed

Ah the smash community,
"it requires a lot of work to get good with it? Garbage"
"I have to use another controller? Garbage"
"I have to reteach myself how to play? Garbage"
Its interesting how people are reacting to this, but not surprising. Most people want a guaranteed, OP technique or strategy that requires the least amount of effort. I've seen this tech in action, @-_ellipsis_- uses this technique with extreme precision and grace. It's extremely fun to watch him play, because he's doing things you've probably never seen before. I think its completely unjustified to reject the thought of a different way of playing simply because of the afore mentioned statements. (the statements with " "s)

People saying this won't be useful are forgetting this allows you to basically PP waaaaaaay more consistently (and everyone's timing for PP is different) and this allows for near wavedash-like movement across the stage. If this is mastered by anyone with a keen sense of spacing like most FE mains or something, this could really change the way we look at this game.

EDIT:
Isn't it rather early to call something like this "meta-changing"? Remember when people were calling perfect pivots the new wavedash? Then time went on, and the technique some people claimed was going to shape Smash 4's metagame turned out to only be a little extra that can help sometimes. Like with the whole controversy surrounding Bayonetta right now, it's in our best interest to not jump to conclusions.

...And if it does end up becoming overcentralizing, it'll probably get patched out. The game wasn't balanced with its existence in mind, and as such it'd take way more reworking to keep it in and keep things balanced than it would to just take it out!
What made regular PP not very useful is that no one could really PP to the really effective level; the tech was too hard and frame-perfect. This bidou setup allows more leeway for the player to use and ultilize.

Last edited:

they cant take it out as easily as you think. the only way would be able to remove the c stick all together.

Last edited:
they cant take it out as easily as you think. the only way would be able to remove the c stick all together.
...Or they could just change the way the game reads these inputs. I'm sure that a few relatively small tweaks could "fix" the technique, as it were.

A-are you telling me that Perfect Pivot is more than a combo extender now?
Are you telling me that we can use it to approach through platforms?
Are you telling me that we can use it to make Crouching to counter -attack a viable option? And more? This just adds options to and already strong tool!
My question is How could this not be game changing?

...Or they could just change the way the game reads these inputs. I'm sure that a few relatively small tweaks could "fix" the technique, as it were.
well what the cstick does is it hotkeys a directional input with whatever other button you assign it. to remove the bidou you'd have to eliminate that frame of directional input but that removes the cstick entirely. the movement aspects of bidou also work with an attack stick, you'd have to change the way holding down special and inputting another special works. and it seems very unlikely to be removed

Last edited:
well what the cstick does is it hotkeys a directional input with whatever other button you assign it. to remove the bidou you'd have to eliminate that frame of directional input but that removes the cstick entirely. the movement aspects of bidou also work with an attack stick, you'd have to change the way holding down special and inputting another special works. and it seems very unlikely to be removed
Patch 1.1.6: Cloud's Finishing Touch, Sheik's Fair, Corin's walk, Falcon's Up Air and the C-stick have been removed from the game. Sheik's D-smash now kills at 20%.

Last edited:
Anyone who's played Melee knows how useful Wavedashing is in the neutral and for micro spacing. Being able to Perfect Pivot consistently will be incredibly useful for baiting and punishing.

I'm going to give this a try. I've radically changed my control scheme three times already.

People are also saying that this will benefit characters with poor spacing... but what about the improvement to characters that already have good spacing? This might get crazy!

l am literally salivating, and knowing l don't have to stop using the Gamepad is great. l can't wait to fail horrendously at trying to learn this!

Thanks to My Smash Corner and Diosdi.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I remember seeing something similar to this in some Brawl TAS'es. I wonder if it works the same way in Brawl.

To be honest, this will probably only be useful for characters who currently have poor spacing game, and the characters that have really good ones.
Imo the characters who should probably get the most from this are the fast ones who already have decent spacing(Falcon, Mac, Fox).
Mac with this much quick spacing power would be damn good.

It's being shot down because it doesn't actually do anything that can't already be accomplished.
It makes several simple tasks several times more complicated in exchange for a few situational pivot techs, none of which are as useful as just walking or pp-ing.
You mean to tell me you have the natural dexterity and speed to pull off everything in this video with a standard control scheme?

This control scheme actually makes complicated tasks several times more simple, in exchange for retraining your hands and committing this to muscle memory, which in time will have some pretty powerful effects on your mobility. Have you tried to Dtilt facing one direction and turning the other, with the accuracy seen in this video by using just :GCN: and :GCA:? I have and it's not easy to do by any means. It'd be nice to have a safer and more reliable way to cover roll options instead of fully committing to an unsafe move.

Anyone who's played Melee knows how useful Wavedashing is in the neutral and for micro spacing. Being able to Perfect Pivot consistently will be incredibly useful for baiting and punishing.
In the neutral, dash dancing is several orders of magnitude more useful than wavedashes. Wavedashes are a 15 frames long animation, so it's a pretty big commitment to make - Fox can shffl in 18 frames, in example. If we're talking baiting and punishing, most players are going to spam dash dances, not wavedashes.
In the neutral, I only really see Marths and Luigis use wavedashes noticeably often - both of them being characters with an above-average wavedashes.

You're mostly going to see wavedashes as combo extenders (something PP is already being used for), and quick gtfo shield options (something not needed nearly as much in smash 4).

You wanna revolutionize Smash 4 ? Find out how to dash dance, not how to wavedash.

tl;dr : I have little hope that PP is going to find its way into the neutral game, because it's a high commitment to make imo.

Here's my take on this whole Bidou tech thing.
  • Yes I could do a perfect pivot back in order to outspace someone and punish them... Or I could just pivot f-tilt
  • I could do a sliding spot dodge in order to dodge someone's attack and punish... Or I could just roll or spot dodge normally.
  • I could dash attack out of a crouch... Or I could just down tilt or stand up and then dash attack.
  • I could do an edge dash attack but... I can do that already (seriously you just flick the control stick quickly and hit attack after you take your finger off the stick)
  • I could instantly wall jump from the ledge and air dodge... Or I could just drop from the ledge and double jump air dodge.
  • I could instantly run from my walk... But why? Seriously, what punishes do I miss taking like two frames to run normally?
  • I could studder my run without returning my stick to neutral position... Or I could just return my stick to neutral position. Like, that's not even hard lol.
  • I could run slower than usual... But again why? It's like walking but without retaining your options.
  • Also if you can't RAR normally I really don't know what to tell you.
  • I could use Bidou to fast fall while still moving forward... Or I could move my stick down forward and then back forward quickly to keep my momentum. It's not like you need to hold down to fast fall normally.
Many of the cases a player could use Bidou there's a far more simple and just as effective option. That, combined with the fact that you have to make the conscious decision before hand to hold down special in order to use these (thus making it impossible to use spontaneously while still having your special moves available) makes this far too impractical to see widespread use.

The difference between Bidou or perfect pivoting and something like wavedashing is that wavedashing opens up a slew of options that are not only impossible to do without it, but are also distinct and unique in their use from what options are available normally. For example, wavedashing allows me to instantly and without preparation move forward, back, or stop, and use any of my options I'd have while standing out of a dash. That's huge, it basically means I can have the utility of walking and the speed of dashing at the same time. There is nothing else in Melee that allows you to reverse your direction in the middle of your regular dashing animation (not opening dash animation) without stopping.

Perfect pivoting on the other hand, has many of the same effects as wavedashing, but is much more limited because while wavedashing can be done any time you can jump or land, perfect pivoting can only done out of the opening dash animation. This makes a big difference because you can only perfect pivot from very specific states (either standing still or walking) which limits it's utility. You can't perfect pivot out of shield, you can't perfect pivot in the middle of a dash, you can't land with a perfect pivot, you can only perfect pivot when you have the option available to start a dash. This unfortunately means that many of the situations where perfect pivoting would be useful can get the same result accomplished by just moving regularly. Much of these problems are the same ones Bidou has. So while doing optimized perfect pivots across the stage looks cool, there's very little you can do with it that you can't by just walking or dashing normally.

Now this isn't all to say that this is useless, far from it. Perfect pivoting itself does have it's uses, and some characters like Little Mac with things like perfect pivot up tilt gain quite a bit from it. There are definitely advantages to be had with this, but for most characters they're very small ones that are offset by the added complexity and requirement of holding down special. I suggest that players of characters who already benefit more from things like perfect pivoting and dash-trotting like Little Mac, Falcon, and Fox look into this, as those characters will probably gain the most use out of it. For the rest of the cast though, there's more reward on focusing on playing the game solidly than on the tech.

Top Bottom