• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My rant about new Nintendo console rumours

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Reminds me of the 100 matches in a row series (Ended up actually being 101 if I remember right because one of the games was a draw) between Daigo and Tokido in SF4. Took them over 5 hours of play time lol. And realize, this was just one sitting between two players, not there whole day worth of playing. So yeah, if you actually want to be the best at a game, make sure you don't have a job, a girlfriend and if you have to go to school, your probably gonna fail a lot of your classes.

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
My point is why would I go pro if I don't like the game any more?
Maybe because it stops being a hobby and starts being more like a job, hence the term "pro," as in "professional." Also, you could try playing games that you don't get bored of after a couple hours of playing them.

Can't get good at video games if you don't practice it ****tons.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
By the way, that guy in the video, yeah he's pretty much one of the richest pro gamers, at least in terms of money he's made from that gig. SC players may have made more, idunno.

But I mean, what the hell do I know, I'm just using logic.

Browny

Smash Hater
I mean, I know I shouldn't expect much from this thread seeing how apparently the op thinks it's hard to make a system stronger than a 360, which is ****ing hilarious, but come oooooooon.
I never said anything even remotely close to this.

:phone:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
- Being more powerful than current gen consoles. Where is the market for this? 360/PS3 have a stranglehold on gamers who care about good graphics. The first problem is that they are trying to re-capture a market that left them long ago. Those ships have sailed. Lucky for nintendo, theyre busy fighting each other while the DS and Wii continue to print money. The second problem is that even if they do overpower the 360/PS in terms of graphical power, that wont last long. It wouldnt be more than 12 months until they both release new consoles which aim to blow the new ninty console's specs out of the water. They wont care about the cost of the console, never have and never will and it'll still sell among their target demographic which most DEFINITELY will not be able to afford 2 inflated-cost consoles. Speaking of which, Nintendo is going to have to put a considerable price increase over the wii if it really does want to match gen 8 consoles. But the casual market is so much bigger, the wii is twice as popular as the ps3/360 not just because of ninty fans buying it regardless but because every person who wants a console for their kids but doesnt exactly have five hundred and ninety nine US dollars for it. The casual market is growing and wont stop anytime soon, THATS where the money is. Nintendo cant cater for the casual players AND the ones who care about graphics since people are going to be faced with an even more extreme situations of costs when the only option is to buy one or the other, do they go with their long-favoured 360/PS3, or make the change to nintendo? As I said before, I beleive that market is lost forever.
It's definitely going to be stronger than 'current gen' consoles, because it's still next gen. This quote seems to say otherwise seeing how you address the rumor with "more powerful than current gen consoles", ie 360/PS3.

If they made it WEAKER than the 360, I'd ****ing die laughing. I admit maybe my wording was a LITTLE misleading, point is that you make it seem that they somehow will make something weaker than the 360 because there's no market for a nintendo console not having ****ty graphics. They might not have the best, but it HAS to be stronger than the 360.

Browny

Smash Hater
I dont believe I ever questioned if it would be more powerful, what I was implying, however indirectly, was the degree to HOW much more powerful it will be.

My issue is the degree to which Ninty is going to have to step it up in terms of graphics if they want to match gen 8 consoles. Theyve got a big catch-up to do to meet PS3 and if this new console doesnt want to be left behind in the dust of the new xbox/ps, its going to have to step it up massively. Being more powerful than gen 7 wont mean much because I doubt how long it will last. If the xbox/ps really did have a life of 10 years and this new console is the most powerful one on the market for the next 5, even if only a fraction more than PS3, that would be enough. I dont think for one second though, that Sony and MS wont try to out-do it as fast as possible, and then nintendo is back to the weakest console, graphically, for the vast majority of another generation.

I realise I worded my post into making it look like I was questioning whether they can beat gen 7 console graphic power, what I was trying to question was the reason for this.
1) If they really want to focus on graphics, it should be made considerably more so to actually compete with gen 8 xbox/ps.
2) by doing so, what is the reason for it, the market for such a console by nintendo isnt really there.

of course theres the other possibility, that this console is simply going to be more powerful than the 360 and thats it. I beleive that contradicts other rumours though, about hardcore gamers etc.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dreamcast died because of easy piracy, poor guys. It was actually a fantastic console.

Also I find it somewhat laughable that people think Nintendo will have crappy visuals considering they like lead the pack until GC (and even then only bested by Xbox not PS2)

It's actually funny how one generation can cause everyone to forget what Nintendo's done over the span of 25 years. Just goes to show that most people have alzheimer's.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Dreamcast died because of easy piracy, poor guys. It was actually a fantastic console.

Also I find it somewhat laughable that people think Nintendo will have crappy visuals considering they like lead the pack until GC (and even then only bested by Xbox not PS3)

It's actually funny how one generation can cause everyone to forget what Nintendo's done over the span of 25 years. Just goes to show that most people have alzheimer's.
You mean PS2...right?

But yeah man, now there's 'no market for it', remember? If Nintendo really wants to reach out to their old audience, they gotta step their game up. But if they don't want to, that's cool, they'll still be roooollliiiiing in money.

finalark

SNORLAX
Throwing in my two cents.

I think it's an interesting idea for Nintendo to try and go back to it's "core" audience but until the soccer moms stop giving Nintendo money for ****ty games then I doubt we'll see anything of the sort. I've heard that the sales of casual games are in decline on the Wii but I've never researched it myself to see if its true.

And yes, Nintendo could EASILY make a console more powerful than the 360 and probably the PS3 too.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You mean PS2...right?

But yeah man, now there's 'no market for it', remember? If Nintendo really wants to reach out to their old audience, they gotta step their game up. But if they don't want to, that's cool, they'll still be roooollliiiiing in money.
Well not entirely, Dreamcast was pretty much on its last legs as soon as PS2 came out.

And haha dude if Nintendo wants their old audience, they don't really have to do much. I'm guessing we'll have pretty visuals, and basically make pretty looking versions of their staple franchises and they're set.

Photorealistic Zelda will make every Nintendo fan buy the new console, I don't care how "betrayed" they feel, because if the Wii showed us anything, it's that Nintendo fans are abused, drug addicted prostitutes and Iwata is the pimp. The fans hope for a little sugar for years and basically only get **** and a bone here and there. Despite this, dey just can't leave dey daddy.

Nintendo ****s on its dedicated fanbase because they know they're not really going anywhere ever.

Edit @ finalark: Tbh they're not "going back" to "core" gamers. They tried to restart the videogame generation cycle. I'm pretty sure I've made walls of text about this before, and I'm actually kinda facepalming at how Nintendo's business strategy just passed everyone by. It wasn't just about selling to fat soccer moms.

finalark

SNORLAX
Photorealistic Zelda will make every Nintendo fan buy the new console, I don't care how "betrayed" they feel, because if the Wii showed us anything, it's that Nintendo fans are abused, drug addicted prostitutes and Iwata is the pimp. The fans hope for a little sugar for years and basically only get **** and a bone here and there. Despite this, dey just can't leave dey daddy.
Like how way to many people payed $50 for an expansion pack to Mario Galaxy?

Edit @ finalark: Tbh they're not "going back" to "core" gamers. They tried to restart the videogame generation cycle. I'm pretty sure I've made walls of text about this before, and I'm actually kinda facepalming at how Nintendo's business strategy just passed everyone by. It wasn't just about selling to fat soccer moms.
Well, I guess that's my fault from not doing the research. I had heard that their supposed new console was all about solely focusing on a "core" audience or something along those lines.

I personally think that's bull**** because they have no reason to abandon a business plan that's making them so much money.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But that's the thing, they're not abandoning any business plan, they're moving to the next stage.

The Wii was an attempt to increase the overall gaming population by introducing people to accessible and easy to pick up games. You know, how when we started gaming we only had 2 buttons and a D Pad. It's hard to believe that isn't it? Considering most of us were brought into gaming with simple 2D experiences, it's easy to overlook how a massively complex 3D game with a controller that has all sorts of buttons and functinos (clicking joysticks, triggers etc)

We transitioned, but many people who maybe played way back and abandoned gaming or just wanted to get in but felt like they never could got a leg up with the Wii. As any gamer gets into games, they're easily satisfied at first, but soon want more complex and challenging experiences. If you follow Wii's games, this trend actually followed over the years, with more traditionally complex titles coming out later in the lifecycle.

Now see how the next console will be more traditional altogether. The people who got into games through Wii will be a lot like any other gamers. They will demand better graphics, more complex games, more hardware features, you get the idea.

Nintendo didn't "abandon the core then jump back", their attempt was to create a NEW GENERATON of such gamers. Considering most of their original core fans come from the NES/SNES era, most of which have probably put gaming down due to age, they probably felt their core audience just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore so decided to reboot it.

Think about it, GC was a great Nintendo console but they couldn't rely enough on its dedicated fanbase to pull it through for the win, so here we are.

Was referring to that.

>:[
PS2 being more graphically capable than GC

That is a joke right?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh yeah woops how about that.

**** you. >:/

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I remember a time when Kotaku was like my most visited site.

It was so funny in like 2005/2006, they'd spend their entire time mocking the upcoming release of our current gen consoles.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
I could see them doing the LCD screen on the controller thing if they also made regular controllers for games that don't really need the LCD. It'd be silly to have to pay like $50/$60 bucks for a new controller for any Nintendo console.

Either way, I hope they don't do that. Sometimes there's beauty in simplicity. Maybe I'm just retro.

finalark

SNORLAX
I could see them doing the LCD screen on the controller thing if they also made regular controllers for games that don't really need the LCD.
You mean those supposed "leaked design pictures" of what looks like the deranged love child of the PSP and a 360 controller? Frankly, I think think that's just BS. The idea of having a touch screen in the controller is interesting, but the screens wouldn't be able to display insane HD graphics like the supposed leaks say.

It'd be silly to have to pay like $50/$60 bucks for a new controller for any Nintendo console.
A new wiimote costs $40, add in a new numchuck and it's $60.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I could see them doing the LCD screen on the controller thing if they also made regular controllers for games that don't really need the LCD. It'd be silly to have to pay like $50/$60 bucks for a new controller for any Nintendo console.

Either way, I hope they don't do that. Sometimes there's beauty in simplicity. Maybe I'm just retro.
I don't really see the controllers being that expensive, touch screen LCD isn't really so costly these days.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
You mean those supposed "leaked design pictures" of what looks like the deranged love child of the PSP and a 360 controller? Frankly, I think think that's just BS. The idea of having a touch screen in the controller is interesting, but the screens wouldn't be able to display insane HD graphics like the supposed leaks say.
I haven't seen pictures, I was just referring to the vague rumors. HD screens would look nice but.... not worth it to me.

A new wiimote costs $40, add in a new numchuck and it's $60.
Yes but you don't need the nunchucks for every game, as far as I know. You don't HAVE to buy it when you want an additional controller. You can get by with cheap GC controllers for several of the games too.

Basically I'm saying if they make the controllers with HD screens that bump up the price a crazy amount, then I hope they'd make cheaper, simpler alternatives too.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Actually come to think of it Nintendo will make lots of expensive bull**** you have to buy and you will do it anyway.

Iwata printing dat money

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
Sad day. The GC is the only console I've ever owned and it will probably stay that way.:p

edit: Until I have kids.... then I'll buy one for them (but it may or may not be actually for me).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
GC was an amazing console. People complained about **** like no DVD playback, even though that isn't what a console is for.

Yeah as a console it did have shortcomings but the software releases were awesome and really did leave a lasting impression on me.

Unlike this entire gen.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah as a console it did have shortcomings but the software releases were awesome and really did leave a lasting impression on me.

Unlike this entire gen.
I second this. I'm pretty sure that I could count all of the new franchises from this gen that I seriously care about on one hand.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
Same. Although we are quite a bit older now and don't have the youthful imaginations or the time to play games that we did ten years ago. For me, the N64 was the best system ever for that reason. I never owned one but man, the thought put into and the quality of the development of those games were unreal.

I guess this is slightly off topic but whatevs.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think gaming has just reached a point where it's trying really hard to find ways to provide new experiences.

Also a large problem is how people will constantly try to compare games to other established franchises instead of judging it by its own merits. I mean I've read stupid things like "this game is great but it's no Halo". Yes no ****, it's not meant to be Halo, and judging by Halo's precedent does the game a complete disservice.

Games have tried so hard to reinvent themselves, when imo they don't really need to at all. There's a basic idea of immersion, and that can be achieved through a large number of means. Pokémon games are still possibly the most immersive games out there, and their graphics haven't gone much further than sprite form.

Nobody cared about Crysis and Crysis Warhead's stories. The visuals in those games were so breathtaking that just running around the game world was an experience to behold.

Some games have great characterisation, some have great stories/interactions, you get the point.

It's funny, it's as if developers think the same old basic formulae are inherently bad. They're not. Look at books. They've been around for ages and they're doing fine, movies are doing fine, TV shows are doing fine.

Books have had no technological improvements to help the core product at all. Movies got colour and then 3D, but ultimately it's the movie itself that matters. Even after all these years we're still getting original and exciting films and TV, something that should be far more stagnant than games.

But oh well, I guess people feel OMG WE NEED A BIG CHANGE.

Change is synonymous with Obama so it inherently sucks.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
Actually books are kind of dying out slowly, thanks to electronic print of various kinds, but that's not the point lol.

It's true--a lot of focus on "reinventing" is usually geared toward aesthetics, or a new gaming experience like you said, which isn't entirely bad until the developers forget that they actually need to make good games too... games that make you think, invite you into a world, surprise you, connect you to similar people, etc.

I miss the days when it was okay if the graphics didn't blow you away; no one expected them to, so it was the game mechanics and the story and the mystery of it all that was so enticing.

No need to reinvent quality, I say.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of a game that has the most realistic graphics out there? I wanna check it out.

finalark

SNORLAX
I miss the days when it was okay if the graphics didn't blow you away; no one expected them to, so it was the game mechanics and the story and the mystery of it all that was so enticing.
To everyone out there who are complaining that all games care about these days are graphics, I would like to point us that games have been using graphics as a selling point forever now. Hell, one model of the Genesis even had "16-Bit High Definition" printed on it.

Plus I really can't remember a time until recently that I played a game for the story.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
To everyone out there who are complaining that all games care about these days are graphics, I would like to point us that games have been using graphics as a selling point forever now. Hell, one model of the Genesis even had "16-Bit High Definition" printed on it.

Plus I really can't remember a time until recently that I played a game for the story.
Maybe you weren't saying this but that's not what I meant. I meant that 15/20 years ago, most games really couldn't use impressive or cutting-edge graphics as a primary way to sell, at least not like they can today. Sure, graphics have always been improving and impressing, but they haven't really been dazzling until more recently. Conceptual stuff and content were more of the focus.

It's okay if you don't play games for the story... some like that more than others.

I'm no where near complaining or dissing anybody, and I don't mean to over-generalize. I was just being nostalgic. I love plenty games that have come out recently.

finalark

SNORLAX
I rarely see graphics used as a selling point these days anyway. Most of the time the games boast about their online multiplayer and how it differs from the usual stuff.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I rarely see graphics used as a selling point these days anyway. Most of the time the games boast about their online multiplayer and how it differs from the usual stuff.
And you know who started that trend? Nintendo.

Only fitting that they once again turn the market in a different direction or no where at all depending on how you look at it. lol

finalark

SNORLAX
And you know who started that trend? Nintendo.
Do you mean graphics or online play? Because SEGA heavy advertised the Genesis' 16-Bit graphics over the NES' 8-Bit early in the Genesis' life. Nintendo later did something similar with Mode 7. As for online play, well, Nintendo has never really embraced online play to the extent other companies have.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Does anyone know of a game that has the most realistic graphics out there? I wanna check it out.
Probably Crysis Warhead but you'll need a very powerful PC setup.

I would say Crysis is better in some ways though because even though the graphics are marginally worse, the massively open ended environments are far more breathtaking.

Edit: Forgot all about Battlefield 3, and same thing applies about needing a beastly system.

Top Bottom