• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My link? noob, okay, or pro?

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
hi everyone,
my real name and my smashboards name is chris.
Deva, can you look at comment please?

oh yeah, i 2 stocked the falco the first match but the camera ran out of batteries, but it was epic. too bad it wasn't recorded.

Game 1- yay i win, but wasn't recorded

Game 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE8s8ODdgYU&feature=related

Game 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHyAWrk3S1k

also here's one where i concentrated and kinda not concentrate in the end which caused my getting *****. i need to play more Robs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtB5kIJkks

sasook

Smash Champion
I only watched the first match, but I already see what to work on.

First off, you don't need more aerials (@above poster).

More bombs, more utilts, less dsmash. Learn to ledgehop, learn to momentum cancel. And ALWAYS have a bomb in hand when at low percents against Falco.

Other than that, your Link is solid.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
yeah, ledgehopping is so different from melee. several times i attack off the ledge instead of ledgehop aerial.

bair or nair for momentum cancelling? i know my longshots are unintentional.

i agree with more bombs.

i was thinking about building up damage to 40, but i dunno, it just seems too unpractical. the bomb in hand can be used for a campy full jump down throw instead. also i try to get the gale boomerang out in the air as long as possible for falco to mess up his chaingrab game.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
yeah, ledgehopping is so different from melee. several times i attack off the ledge instead of ledgehop aerial.

i agree with more bombs.

i was thinking about building up damage to 40, but i dunno, it just seems too unpractical. the bomb in hand can be used for a campy full jump down throw instead. also i try to get the gale boomerang out in the air as long as possible for falco to mess up his chaingrab game.
Your Link isn't bad, I just recommend you shorthop your projectiles and try not to stay on the ground so much.

If you want to know how you compare to others, I have a Tier List of Link mains on it and I just recently added you after watching these vids. Lol.

sasook

Smash Champion

i agree with more bombs.

Bair for momentum canceling, search ArkiveZero's DI video on youtube. It's amazing.

Bomb in hand at low percents doesn't mean you have to build up your own damage, though you can if you want (Link doesn't play his best until ~60% anyway). You can bomb-in-hand zair, ZAC, bombsmash, bombthrow -> arrow cancel. Plenty of options, full hop -> bomb throw down isn't the greatest because it usually doesn't hit too often.

Also, work on your fast falling game. FF nairs are a beast, but they can be shield grabbed. FF bairs....are just beasts.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
throwing bombs down on the platforms on battlefield is pretty useful and deceiving cause it hits. ff nairs should not be used to approach for the reason of being punishable too easily. ff bairs are so good for approaching cause it has so much range and hits twice.

I don't understand the bombsmash to bombthrow part of "bomb-in-hand zair, ZAC, bombsmash, bombthrow -> arrow cancel"

also here's one where i concentrated and kinda not concentrate in the end which caused my getting *****. i need to play more Robs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtB5kIJkks

sasook

Smash Champion
throwing bombs down on the platforms on battlefield is pretty useful and deceiving cause it hits.
Alright yeah I admit that is true. But try to Z drop some of them from time to time, just to mix things up.

ff nairs should not be used to approach for the reason of being punishable too easily. ff bairs are so good for approaching cause it has so much range and hits twice.
Indeed, gotta love that bair.

I don't understand the bombsmash to bombthrow part of "bomb-in-hand zair, ZAC, bombsmash, bombthrow -> arrow cancel"
I was just stating several things you could do with a bomb, it wasn't meant to be some sort of combo or chain.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, i added one where i choked against a Rob. Gotta say i was controlling him with my jabs, bairs, zairs, and projectiles initially. but i got gimped 3 times which is just embarrasing... he probably got pissed at me, but its all cool cause it was just friendlies. gots to balance competition with sportsmanship

sasook

Smash Champion
Ok just watched it. You were doing an awesome job, I must say.

I SAW BOMBSLIDING. INSTANT KUDOS, INSTA-RESPECT FROM ME.

Seriously man, you make great use of your AT's when it comes to mixing things up. Your Link is pretty unpredictable. And yeah, gimps suck like that. Ask Arkive for advice for that stuff.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
lol, my friend was talking about how i beat the number 1 ranked guy in the state with dair. it threw me off a little

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Galerang method is *somewhat* effective, it CAN get you out of the grab... if you're really lucky. More useful in theory than in actual gameplay.
As for the bombs, continue using the full-jump dthrow but mix in a lot of bombsmashes, bomb zairs and other bomb techniques. Just make sure you ALWAYS have a bomb in hand up to about 40%.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
the galerang gets you out when your close to the edge. mixing in everything is key to playing link, in my opinion. he has no solid approach, so i think confusing the shiz out of your enemy and quick decision making are key to racking up damage. link players have to take advantage of the fact that they are link who is regarded as a low tier. depending on the opponent's level of arrogance and respect for link, the link player needs to reach the mindgame threshold so that he says in his mind, "Who is this crazy link player???" After that, he's either gonna get pissed and activate beast mode or accept the link ****. if he gets pissed, i would start to play a control and response link taking advantage of his rage. but yeah, DEVA look at my vids!!!!

sasook

Smash Champion
Link has no approach. <-- Fact

lol why so hung up on Deva? You wouldn't be satisfied if Arkive/Legan/Blubba/Finns/Izaw looked at it?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Link has no approach. <-- Fact

lol why so hung up on Deva? You wouldn't be satisfied if Arkive/Legan/Blubba/Finns/Izaw looked at it?
Deva is his hero. I would've given in if Legan hadn't commented on my thread.
Let's do a Deva call.

DEVA CALL!!!

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
hahaha sorry, i admire Deva since melee >.< and he is the best link i know. oh yeah, you guys also gotta check out Smasher's link who went toe to toe with aniki during the melee years.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
melee and brawl player. My melee link is SO much better than my brawl link. smasher is a link beast....

Deva

Smash Lord
lol @ Deva call, maybe I should leave my cell # in a thread and get it stickied or something. . .like an ask me for advice thread or something. . .but my phone would probably get overloaded with spam xD.

Your Link is actually really good. not really many tips, you played the matchup really well. Against Falco though, I'd suggest only zairing with a bomb in hand until you're at 35%. Also, until you get to that %, if Falco get's close enough to grab you, just throw the bomb down to damage both of you and get out of his grab range. I played some Falco at a tournament recently and on my third stock just ran away and started bombing myself and the guy was so confused lol. He was like, "are you ok? Why are you bombing yourself?" And I just didnt answer. Then a few seconds later he got me in a cg and when he went for the dair it missed and I nair gimed him and I was like "that's why." =P

But a couple tips, when almost any character d-throws you (higher %s against Falco) zair out of the hit stun. They'll usually try to follow up with something and the zair will stop their approach and let you combo into something else. Also, work on DI and momentum canceling. On the second match of your set you could have avoided the dair spike if you DI'd down and away after the throw. You can avoid Falco's dair spike out of cg from about 35-40%ish, which is why you want to get yourself to that % as soon as possible at the start of each of your stocks. Either bomb yourself or zair with a bomb in hand so that if he does get you in a cg the bomb will get you out of it and if he spikes you the bomb will explode before you die and you can still recover.

Other than that, really good Link, and I'm glad your going to tournaments. Keep at it.

D

Deleted member

I played some Falco at a tournament recently and on my third stock just ran away and started bombing myself and the guy was so confused lol. He was like, "are you ok? Why are you bombing yourself?"
i got the same reaction the last time i played a falco in a tourney, but once the second match came he got smart and chased me around while i was trying to get my % up

falco is the epitome of toon link

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
Deva, just to clarify, when you are around 35-40% while in falco's chaingrab, after the down throw before they attempt to spike you, you DI down and then away?

Zair to get out of the hitstun? i have to try that sometime, it sounds kind of broken to me. can it be done immediately while under the hitstun?

Also, Deva, I try to play link under the style of Aniki from melee. Do you think that is a good direction for my link?

Deva

Smash Lord
For Falco's cg, Just DI away after you're between 35-40% to get out of the CG. If you're off the edge after he down throws you at that % or past it, DI down and away to avoid the dair. Just hold the control stick diagonally in that direction. ei. the second match of your set at the end you could have avoided the spike.

Yeah, like, if MK or basically any other character d-throws or f-throws you, at the right %s, when they chase you down you can zair them before you land and follow up with a dash attack or something.

As far as playstyles, you have to find your own. I went through a few stages learning melee. I went through a learning stage, a Germ stage, an Aniki stage, and eventually settled it somewhere in the middle. Dont try to pick a specific style though. Settle into whatever style makes you win. Dont try to fit into a style, just play and it'll happen naturally. Personally I've found an Aniki style works best for Brawl. He'd probably be **** if he played this game. I've just found that using most of Link's ATs in Brawl are really useless and you can do much better by just using the basics, which is why you can look up almost any other Link on youtube and they are more fun to watch than me any day, while overall I'll have better tournament placings. Still in melee though, I feel Link did have use for his wavedash and such and Aniki took it a little too far. Personally, imo Aniki's style would be top tier in Brawl. That's just how my style developed in Brawl and it seems to work. Just do what happens naturally, dont base it off anyone else. You're style now is lookin good, so I wouldn't change it much.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
Ah, just as i thought. Thanks a lot Deva! Did you take a look at my game against Rob? Its quite embarrasing...

Deva

Smash Lord
eh, dont worry about it, gimps happen. Just against certain characters, (Rob, MK, Samus, DDD, etc) be careful about using your second jump. They know how bad your recovery is and arent afraid to exploit it any chance they get. Be careful about using your double jump when they start to get you off the stage, and if you can, pull a bomb and hold on to it. Chances are it'll explode before you die so you'll be able to make it back. On stage you played really well. Bombs and jabs are your best friend against Rob. I'd suggest more zair too though. Usually Robs can approach you pretty easily without it. So yeah, aside from the gimps you played the match really well.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
almighty Deva, what do you think about playing both melee and brawl, especially if I main link in both of them? Were you the best melee link at a certain point of time or does skler have something to say about that?

Deva

Smash Lord
Yeah, Aniki sorta. . .quit in the last couple years of melee. I'm not sure if he'd be able to keep up with the metagame even in certain matchups competitively after that point, but as far as currently, I'm pretty sure Skler and I are the only players that still use melee Link competitvely or even really did at melee's end. Even though I placed really well at the tournaments here in Washington and beat a lot of pro players and such, Skler placed really well at VLS, so, even if in general the players I beat were roughly even in skill with the ones he beat, his placement at a national tournament would still give him a 1 up on me. Based on a certain point in time though, based on technicalities, I was probably considered better before he placed at VLS, just becuase the competition he has in his general area isnt all that great. I might be going to the national tournament in Georgia in January though, so we'll see =P. It's really hard to tell in general though, just becuase so many things are based off technicalities, like in Brawl my tournament placings and mm with DSF are the only things that give me a 1 up on Legan kinda thing. It's always up for change though.

But to your question, I find melee Link easier to use in a lot of matchups. The only one I flat out love using Brawl Link in is vs MK. I can make more money mming MKs at a tournament than acutally winning it xD. But Link has a lot of bad matchups in Brawl where winning takes way too much effort, like against Falco you have to get yourself to 40% each stock just so you dont get 0-death. Or against DDD you have to play primarily on the platforms throwing bombs down for the same reason. With Link in Brawl you just have to be really careful about your spacing cuz when you miss time something and they get you off stage it's a scary situation. You could be a lot more free with melee Link since his recovery was so awesome. I enjoy both characters though, just depends on what I'm in the mood for. Melee Link if I want combos and insane priority on my moves, and Brawl Link if I feel like camping like no other. For Brawl, live by the words of Isaia: "Dont get hit." xD

and btw , Deva is just fine lol, although almighty has a nice ring to it =P.

sasook

Smash Champion
But to your question, I find melee Link easier to use in a lot of matchups. The only one I flat out love using Brawl Link in is vs MK. I can make more money mming MKs at a tournament than acutally winning it xD.

Again, be sure to take note of how jealous we all are.

Skler

Smash Master
This is a rare thing for me to do, but I'm going to post on the Brawl boards. This isn't about Brawl though, it's a matter of pride and not letting somebody say **** about my region.

Yeah, Aniki sorta. . .quit in the last couple years of melee. I'm not sure if he'd be able to keep up with the metagame even in certain matchups competitively after that point, but as far as currently, I'm pretty sure Skler and I are the only players that still use melee Link competitvely or even really did at melee's end. Even though I placed really well at the tournaments here in Washington and beat a lot of pro players and such, Skler placed really well at VLS, so, even if in general the players I beat were roughly even in skill with the ones he beat, his placement at a national tournament would still give him a 1 up on me. Based on a certain point in time though, based on technicalities, I was probably considered better before he placed at VLS, just becuase the competition he has in his general area isnt all that great.
Let's focus on one part of that.

just becuase the competition he has in his general area isnt all that great.
Yeah, because KDJ, PC (he calls himself NE and attended almost every tournament I went to for a year), Cort and Darc are/were bad. They rarely place top 10 in national tournaments and are probably the 4 ****tiest players in the world. Hell, I bet nobody from NE has ever even won an MLG before.

Why do you insist on saying WA is better than NE? I was content with leaving that sort of **** behind but you brought it up again. I can't think of a region that places better than NE at national tournaments except for MD/VA.

I don't care if you want to say you're better than me, but I do care when you say NE isn't good.

Here are some tournaments with 100+ people who went (Pounds aren't included because I'm not going on AiB, ever). This isn't including teams placings either, where PC/Cort take #1 most of the time and Darc/Dazwa place extremely high.

Taken from the VLS results thread:
3: KDJ
5: PC
7: Darc
9: Cort

Taken from Cataclysm 3:
2 koreandj
4 pc chris
7 cort
9 darc

Taken from FC D:
2. PC Chris
9. Cort

Here's the WA people who went (only 2 NE players went)
9. Luigi Ka-Master
13. SilentWolf
17. Eggz

Super Champ Combo:
2: PC Chris
4: Cort

WA players who went (again only 2 NE players went)
17: DJ Combo
25: Silent Wolf
33: Eggz

I accepted the first time you said NE was "Link ********" as a joke. It isn't funny the second time. NE has ***** WA at tournament placings ever since either of us joined the scene. WA isn't bad, I'd never say they aren't good, but tournament placings suggest that NE is better.

This is way off topic, but stop saying NE is/was anything less than amazing at Melee.

Deva

Smash Lord
This is a rare thing for me to do, but I'm going to post on the Brawl boards. This isn't about Brawl though, it's a matter of pride and not letting somebody say **** about my region.

Let's focus on one part of that.

Yeah, because KDJ, PC (he calls himself NE and attended almost every tournament I went to for a year), Cort and Darc are/were bad. They rarely place top 10 in national tournaments and are probably the 4 ****tiest players in the world. Hell, I bet nobody from NE has ever even won an MLG before.

Why do you insist on saying WA is better than NE? I was content with leaving that sort of **** behind but you brought it up again. I can't think of a region that places better than NE at national tournaments except for MD/VA.

I don't care if you want to say you're better than me, but I do care when you say NE isn't good.

Here are some tournaments with 100+ people who went (Pounds aren't included because I'm not going on AiB, ever). This isn't including teams placings either, where PC/Cort take #1 most of the time and Darc/Dazwa place extremely high.

Taken from the VLS results thread:
3: KDJ
5: PC
7: Darc
9: Cort

Taken from Cataclysm 3:
2 koreandj
4 pc chris
7 cort
9 darc

Taken from FC D:
2. PC Chris
9. Cort

Here's the WA people who went (only 2 NE players went)
9. Luigi Ka-Master
13. SilentWolf
17. Eggz

Super Champ Combo:
2: PC Chris
4: Cort

WA players who went (again only 2 NE players went)
17: DJ Combo
25: Silent Wolf
33: Eggz

I accepted the first time you said NE was "Link ********" as a joke. It isn't funny the second time. NE has ***** WA at tournament placings ever since either of us joined the scene. WA isn't bad, I'd never say they aren't good, but tournament placings suggest that NE is better.

This is way off topic, but stop saying NE is/was anything less than amazing at Melee.

umm, calm down lol, I wasnt making fun of you or the players in NE. For the most part I was giving you a compliment for being the best Link. Read what I write before you go off on a rant that doesnt need to exist. I said your general area. Not NE. I meant the state you live in, as in the only two notable players on your PR were you and Pine, aka Wa was better than your state is what I mean by general area. I dont know exactly when you started traveling out of your state for tournaments, or when you acutally started placing well at them, but from what I can remember, it was roughly around the same time I did, but I was sure it was a little after, that's all. I wasn't saying Wa was better than NE or whatever else you've been going on about in your post. I have nothing against NE, and yeah, that thing from before was a joke. Sorry of you took it the wrong way bud, but the rant was uneeded.

Btw, Chip and I are in winners finals at a Wa melee tournament :O

I'll try to get some stuff uplaoded. Gotta say Chip beating DSF's Shiek was pretty epic

yay for everyone being rusty at melee emirite? ^_^

Skler

Smash Master
Saying anything about NH is irrelevant seeing as I play against NE about once every two weeks. The state is so small I consider general area to mean NE, I didn't know you meant just NH (we're so small we usually just call ourselves Mainehampshire).

NE's current Melee scene is just as good as it was (probably better) - KDJ and PC since they quit. NY goes to all our tournies now, so the people we lost were replaced by a bunch of NY players like Jman and DJ nintendo. There are pretty much 0 brawl tournaments in NE and a Melee tournament at least once a month. I wish people were rusty so I could get some free money >.>

Eggz, if somebody said WA was bad I'm sure you'd say something. Go have fun with Barwl.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
Hey skler and deva, I watch your in both brawl and melee so i pretty much look up to you two as my link heroes. Skler you have proved yourself worthy over and over again, so there is no need for you to be insecure in your game.

Top Bottom