• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My crewmate kewk's way to jab lock with kirby

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'll remember this the next time I have someone at 143%+ and they don't tech roll. :)

(PS, Kirby's Jab Combos work best with a F-smash or Hammer finisher for maximum pwnage)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
yeah, like Timmy siad it'll only work at high percents and when the last hit of the Dair misses. If the last hit hits the opponent they get hit to far away for Lab lock

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
"Kewk says that the last hit (landing hit) of the dair can be easily avoided if practiced. From the ledge, don't fastfall onto the stage while using dair, and ON the stage, fastfall when you're at the peak height of the first jump" :)

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
"Kewk says that the last hit (landing hit) of the dair can be easily avoided if practiced. From the ledge, don't fastfall onto the stage while using dair, and ON the stage, fastfall when you're at the peak height of the first jump" :)
Your right, you can easily avoid the last hit, but the other hits don't make the opponent land in a Jab Lock Position. That happens when your opponent is at, like timmy and Gonzo already said, high percents. In any other Case, the Opponent could DI.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
For everyone else who fails to read the Youtube description: This is just an alternative to a normal kill, if and only if your opponent can and will live beyond 200percent. This works on any character, though, but recommended for heavy survivalists!

Plus, the description also says that the opponent has to be at an average of 143percent, meaning that for it to work on ANY character, at 143percent, even Snake can get jab-locked into a free fsmash (safer than the hammer).

I cannot stop stressing that it's just an easier way to KO opponents, and just like G&W's dthrow dsmash combo, Lucas' dair dtilt to fsmash combo, and other of the sorts, can be tech'd.

DC

Smash Cadet
Would dtilt put them into jab lock position?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nope, dtilt doesn't put them in jab position. Tripping them won't put them in jab position either, if you were thinking of Diddy. What happens when they trip is that any interaction with them counts as if they were standing, except their options have been reduced to those of a character that didn't tech and faceplanted.

Jab position, as far as I know, is when the opponent falls flat on his ace, and has the options to roll away, stand on spot, or get up with an attack. A trip has this limit, but they're not laying down on the floor, so once you hit them, they stand up.

Dair is the easiest way to force your opponent into jab position AND fall right next to them in a small fraction of a second, enough to start your first jab, commencing said jab-lock... Which, in turn, leads to an easier-than-normal kill, and if you fail the jab, since it's a fast animation, your opponent won't have time to punish you after rolling away, which also means it's safe.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I forgot to add... The only way the opponent can DI out of the ledge dair is by moving behind kirby, which you just fix by turning aroun one landing, jabbing once, and fsmashing, OOOOR, you could utild/dsmash/guess where he will roll and fsmash in that direction.

(sorry for posting again, I'm writing from a mobile device, and it doesn't allow me to edit my posts... Doesn't recognize the text box in the "edit" or "reply" links, just the Quick Reply)

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I think youre missing the point however. There are better ways to KO as Kirby.

Chances are if youre opponent is that high at %, youre prolly not winning anyway :|

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Seriously, a Fsmash and hammer aren't your only options at that point. On certain characters Ftilt will kill at that percent, Bair can kill then, Hyphen smash will kill, Uthrow may kill depending on the character/stage/if they momentum cancel or not, and Dsmash would also kill by that time. Honestly, they really should be dying, and even if they aren't, landing a Dair that doesn't get techrolled against an opponent that managed to survive that long will not happen often enough to really be all that useful.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
::sigh:: Yet again, people fail to understand what it is I'm saying...

Fine. If tourney competition videos is what you guys want as proof for this jab-lock's usefulness, then that's what you guys'll get. This saturday (24th) I'm going to a pretty big tourney in PR, and record some matches of my ZSS and Kirby. If you want to see the jab-lock in action IN MOMENTS WHERE IT HELPS MORE THAN AN EASILY-AVOIDED HAMMER OR SHIELDGRABBED FSMASH, then January 26 is your day (day that I upload all the videos).

Stay pink and puffy until then.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
But again, those aren't your only kill options at that point. If you're landing a Dair at those percents, couldn't you have just done a Bair instead? Couldn't you just follow the Dair with a Fsmash instead of the jabs?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
High level brawlers expect fast attacks and punish you for then. DDD's case, his shieldgrabs are insanely fast, making bair/fsmashes/hammer approaches useless o grab-happy DDD mainers, PLUS they DI and momentum-cancel like gods. A good DDD can survive easily to 170percent and higher, plus he counters your approaches with shieldgrabs and surprise inhales.

All I'm saying is that, if you have to choose a way of getting back on-stage from a ledge, why not a dair? Multiple hits assure a shielding opponent and lagless landing, which can be used to roll away or spot-dodge. If you see your dair hits and he's not teching, make it a mission to land in front of him and try a jab. Lagless landing means you'll be able to jab EXACTLY when you touch the floor, meaning 100percent chance of jablocking if done properly, which leads to a free fsmash and easy kill... Plus safe! And since characters like DDD survive so long into the match, this jab-lock alternative shouldn't be passed up. No one techs everything and no one is immune to mindgames. It will work against any person who knows nothing of the jab-lock, and you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't expect ace-in-the-sleeves from other characters.

I recommend either waiting for my videos, or try this out in friendlies... And remember, IT'S JUST A KO ALTERNATIVE! Don't ruin your approaches trying to land a dair, use it only when it might be worth it, and against characters which are obviously worth it!

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
it doesnt make it useless, u can space ur Bairs so u dont get grabbed, and i understand this is an alternative, but its going around the bush to KO ur opponent, their are easier less punishable ways to setup KO opportunities, especially b/c Dair is the easiest move to shield grab

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
it doesnt make it useless, u can space ur Bairs so u dont get grabbed, and i understand this is an alternative, but its going around the bush to KO ur opponent, their are easier less punishable ways to setup KO opportunities, especially b/c Dair is the easiest move to shield grab
qft. Spacing bairs to not get grabbed will forever be safer. The lock is cool, but not very practical. Videos aren't going to change the fact that its not the best option when trying to k.o. I think it looks cool and all, but its still very situational and good luck hitting someone with that move at that percent when they will probably be playing defensivly anyway. To me, breaking someones shield and getting a free fsmash seems easier to do...

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
qft. Spacing bairs to not get grabbed will forever be safer. The lock is cool, but not very practical. Videos aren't going to change the fact that its not the best option when trying to k.o. I think it looks cool and all, but its still very situational and good luck hitting someone with that move at that percent when they will probably be playing defensivly anyway. To me, breaking someones shield and getting a free fsmash seems easier to do...
I'm not the one supporting the use of this. Grrrr many of the reasons y i come and go to the boards

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I'm not the one supporting the use of this. Grrrr many of the reasons y i come and go to the boards
Huh? Was this directed at me, and if so, what exactly do you mean by it? I didnt say you were in support, I was agreeing with you about it being a worse alternative to a means of k.o.'ing an opponent.

Top Bottom