• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Must learn Snake ATs

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I wanted to get better with Snake and I want to know more about some of his moves.. Which are some must learn ATs? Thanks!

Underload

Lazy
There's only a few.

- Mortarslide
- Wavebounce
- Simple b-reversal (similar to wavebounce)
- Airdodge-cancelled throw
- Z-catch

If you need explanations on any of these, then just ask.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Can you explain all of them? If it's not too much trouble :)

Also I have a few more questions, how can I instantly throw a grenade? And how can I change the direction of the mortar? Because sometimes it goes forward when I push back and sometimes it will go backwards.. Also what are the best ways to use C4s?

napZzz

Smash Hero
you cant steer mortars, its random

instant throwing shenanigans- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45H9QTOPZg

best way to use c4's is to just lay them somewhere you feel the opponent might try to run away to at some point in the match, or maybe just save it to save yourself if you get put in a bad spot offstage.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
OK I watched the vid, but the video doesn't really explain how to pull it off.. So how should these moves be done?

napZzz

Smash Hero
well to instant throw you you jump over an item that can be picked up, airdodge to pick it up but right after you airdodge to pick it up you throw it with the c stick. It cancels your airdodge by "instantly" throwing the item, or something like that.

Then all the little things you can do in that video are just instant throws and a combination of the stuff underload posted pretty much. Its sort of something you just have to figure out for yourself through some testing.

etecoon

Smash Hero
even if you throw more nades than MK throws nado's, he's hitting the button more than you : )

wait a minute snake is easy mode you only have to hit the B button once to do something stupidly good!

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
All right, but how can I do these ATs? Also did you guys saw the "lol susa" video? How can I do that move I stated above? Thanks!

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
There's only a few.

- Mortarslide
- Wavebounce
- Z-catch

If you need explanations on any of these, then just ask.
ftilt is easily snakes best AT
Can you explain all of them? If it's not too much trouble :)

Also I have a few more questions, how can I instantly throw a grenade? And how can I change the direction of the mortar? Because sometimes it goes forward when I push back and sometimes it will go backwards.. Also what are the best ways to use C4s?
you cant steer mortars, its random

instant throwing shenanigans- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45H9QTOPZg

best way to use c4's is to just lay them somewhere you feel the opponent might try to run away to at some point in the match, or maybe just save it to save yourself if you get put in a bad spot offstage.
OK I watched the vid, but the video doesn't really explain how to pull it off.. So how should these moves be done?
well to instant throw you you jump over an item that can be picked up, airdodge to pick it up but right after you airdodge to pick it up you throw it with the c stick. It cancels your airdodge by "instantly" throwing the item, or something like that.

Then all the little things you can do in that video are just instant throws and a combination of the stuff underload posted pretty much. Its sort of something you just have to figure out for yourself through some testing.
All right thanks I'll try it out :)

But what about this move? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RvIkN7vMzs
At 1:02, he's throwing the grenades very fast.

How can I do that?
how do u do that
Anyone here that can help me out?
Add this to that ^
-Tech-Chase

that's all I can think of. :)
B-button. Use that about 60 times a match
Troll! ^ lol

LOL, not an AT. If it were...than MK would have that....as his best AT ever. lol
we use the b button more than mk does :cool:
even if you throw more nades than MK throws nado's, he's hitting the button more than you : )

wait a minute snake is easy mode you only have to hit the B button once to do something stupidly good!
LMAO!
We do all of this, and at the end you ask us "how to do them".
Your kidding!
Well, it takes a while to learn them...and research that's how I found/learned them. So unless some would like to explain all of them to you....your gonna have to take the "way" we all took to learn Snake. The long-more efficient one.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Weird.. When I go to every character board there's at least one faq or video about how to do the ATs.. How can the snake boards not have a topic like this, he's like one of the most popular characters!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Weird.. When I go to every character board there's at least one faq or video about how to do the ATs.. How can the snake boards not have a topic like this, he's like one of the most popular characters!
because the snake boards are ********.

anyways dude, I'll help you out, but the reason why nobody is answering your questions is because we have a Q&A thread for stuff like this, and people hate it when you open a new thread instead of using the Q&A thread.

first off that susa video, you simply pull a nade, then shield which causes you to drop the nade onto the ground, you then let go of shield and press A, and you'll pick up the nade like a normal item, from there you can throw it just like a normal item (faster and in any direction)

-Mortarslide
run, hit down on the c-stick to start a dash attack, and then immdiatly press up on the control stick and Z (up and Z are pressed at the same time), simple as that.

theres a different version useful in other circumstances called the 'contact mortar slide' simply hit them with a dash attack (it has to connect, but it works even if they block it) and then press up on the cstick, very useful tech that is underused.

- Wavebounce

when your in the air, and your moving (you cant just be falling in the one spot) do a special and immidiatly hit the direction of snakes back on your C-stick, it can be done with any of snakes speicals except for his up-b. example, I've moving right in the air, I let of right to hit neutral B for a nade and then straight away I hit left. VERY IMPORTANT - otherwise you'll get the **** juggled out of you. you can also do this when moving backwards, as long as you press the direction snakes back is facing.

this one you backwards first, then do your special, it'll cause you to turn around as you do your special but you wont get any special momentum shift.

already explained above

- Z-catch

I wouldnt bother with zac-ing untill you've got the basics down are doing well in tourneys.

theres more, but I'd start with that first.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Snake boards are *NOT* ********, we def have threads explaining how to do all these ATs and more, you just have to look for them since new things arent stickied because because we lack moderators.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you dont need to tell me, I've been around here since 08 and I can tell you, they are ********

ErikG

Smash Ace
These are all more or less universal ATs. I'm pretty sure you can find out how to do (almost) all of them in the Tactical board.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
All right thanks guys, I got the ATs down. But I've still got some trouble using the grenades, I can't let them explode in my opponents face. I'm having some trouble with the "cooking", any tips how to get it down easy?

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
The grenade has a 3 second fuse. Just keep using them and practicing the timing, eventually you will just have a sense for when they explode. Heck, after a while you start to have a sense of when your mines and c4 will time detonate...

A semi-obvious grenade AT you can do is shield drop nade, normal throw, strip just in front of a stationary (see: camping) and then pick up the nade you used to strip the first one and hard throw it. If you time it right the first nade will detonate just after the second nade passes over it giving you a chain reaction that hits the opponent before he has much time to react.

You should also get used to grenade countering. Just get a nade and shield or, preferably, perfect shield an enemy attack. If done correctly you should take no damage but your opponent should detonate the grenade you just dropped.

Just keep playing and you will pick up things such as these. And if you have any more questions use the Q%A thread. And if you are looking up a particular match up or technique there is a search box so the board doesn't have to retype everything every few days for some FNG who only scans the first page.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
there are a few tricks you can try, like bouncing the nade off the ground and catching it as a way of measuring time, or throwing one nade and pulling a second one, and waiting till the first one goes off and then throwing the second, stuff like that, but like comrade said, after a while you just kinda get the feel for it.

also wasnt it like 3.5 or 4 seconds or something, 3 sounds a little too short?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
because the snake boards are ********.
Snake boards are *NOT* ********, we def have threads explaining how to do all these ATs and more, you just have to look for them since new things arent stickied because because we lack moderators.
you dont need to tell me, I've been around here since 08 and I can tell you, they are ********
No we aren't we're just LAZY as hell!

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
Besides Snake advanced techniques though you need to know how to buffer, tech, things like that.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
autocancelled uair to buffered utilt is the sex, bait that airdodge with the uair and then win.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
is it good? I never bothered with it because his glidetoss is so **** and I figured jc would be the same

Top Bottom