• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Musical musings.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Any smashers play musical instruments? If you used to, how long and why did you stop? Also who are your favourite pianists/composers/w.e

I want to find out how many talented smashers we have in this community :)

~Vince.

Muzga

Smash Ace
I am a pianist/composer. (i compose, but not exclusively for piano.) Ive been playing for about 14 years now, music is like my thing. i dont ever plan on giving it up and im going to take it as far as i can take it, because really its the only redeeming factor i have.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Curious thingssss

1. AMEB? Have you ever undertaken those? (Theory, Piano, Musicianship?)
2. What style do you tend to favour?
3. Who are your favourite composers?

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Woot I've played piano for coming up to 8 years this year. I'm 16 now, stopped taking lessons last year to start focusing on my studies.
I was on AMEB grade 6 2 years ago but haven't really kept it up. Now I just play my own arrangements (using chords/ear or ideas) of songs I like. I'm pretty bad tho.

This is also my 4th year of playing drums and that is my love. I practice at least everyday for like 1/2-1 hour on the kit and at least 15 mins on my practice pad for mah rudiments.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
I'm a composer for the World Youth Orchestra: Strings Division. Sometimes we play Beethoven and Chopin but we mostly play our own stuff like Brahms and Mozart.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Ive finished grade 7 of my ameb exams for piano
I have studied both jazz and classical, i have to say that to me funk is the most fun genre of music to play. if we;re talking classical music i love a mixed bag of stuff, renaisannce through to 20th century.
Classical composers i listen to include bach, mozart. beethoven, strauss, debussy, chopin, rachmaninoff (The more tonal stuff. i dont like a lot of his etudes), holst and a vcery large number of film music composers.
Jazz musicians i love include jellyroll morton, fats waller, Thelonious monk, Miles davis, muddy waters, Herbie hancock, fourplay, Sly and the family stone, glyn macdonald and Coltrane

One thing that really impressed me about coldtrane was his theory about walls of sound. any other coltrane lovers out there?

Zero

Smash Hero
I'm a Trinity Grade 5 Trumpeter, I've stopped playing for 2 years to focus on my HSC, but it was a beautiful thing, I want to get back to it, and after my stay in Japan, joining my host school's brass band really inspired me again. So I just play in a band now. Not practicing tech skill anymore, not until after my HSC is secured.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
I'm an AmusA pianist, and have played two concertos. I started composing whilst doing Grade 6 theory which is quite recently. I like Rachmaninoff, mainly his three concertos - No.2 and 3, and his Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini. I like Mozart too - mainly his piano concertos I guess.

I hate Handel. I listened to his Messiah once and I fell asleep and got reprimanded by some random old lady lol. But that was when I was little.

Nowadays I'm focusing on my VCE, and you really get to see the benefits of learning an instrument when you're younger; I don't have to practise as much for my VCE exam =)

For Viola, I've done Grade 5 AMEB, and now I'm relaxing. Like Zero, I'm not going to focus on tech skill and I love playing in the orchestra.

NG7

Smash Lord
I play the sail.

We should do a collab if you guys have means to record.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'm a cellist at an AMEB grade 7 level.

I know longer do exams but I still take lessons.

I never really bothered with theory exams either.

I play in a string and symphony orchestra.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Sigh...we need to convert some MSO people into smash.

Then I could have went to see Eroica for free =(

Grade seven cellist =o That's pretty good...

I reckon the being in a string or symphony orchestra is way better than being good at your instrument.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
-Hmm, well I finished grade 8 violin 6-7 years ago, and I was preparing for A Mus/L Mus but then decided to stop preparation due to year 12 exam preparation.

-But ever since then, I've been playing pieces from anywhere from grade 6 to L Mus, so I don't really restrict myself too much, although I do love a technical challenge

-I've played in Orchestras for around 11-12 years or so, and I enjoy both massive symphonic orchestras, string orchestras and chamber music. Me and some friends had a clarinet quartet going during year 11/12 and we went around in chamber music competitions, apart from that I've played in a few small orchestras in NZ including a community one, played in the school orchestra for 6 years along with the senior strings orchestra
Also done some random 'gigs' including background music for events, a wedding, and playing in the 'pit' for a play (The Gondoliers)

-So yeah, I'm not in anything right now since I'm searching for a good orchestra to commit to in QLD, but I'm still just playing solo peices now and again =)

But yeah, I still see music as being central to my life and in the future I really would love to create a chamber group which plays some really great video game music

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
I think we almost have enough people for a quartet.

We got a cellist, that's the important thing!

Woohoo let's get some vgm and classical happening!

Top Bottom