• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I do agree that the Eds should be separate, but I would argue that the Warners could work well together. It's not like they have super different moveset potential unlike Rick and Morty and Finn and Jake. My moveset idea is that Yakko would be the main one and Dot and Wakko could appear in specials (similar to how the other Beavers appear when playing as one in Nasb 2).

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Idea that Animaniacs should be a Pokémon trainer style character. You might as well separate them and work a bit more to give them a real down special.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do agree that the Eds should be separate, but I would argue that the Warners could work well together. It's not like they have super different moveset potential unlike Rick and Morty and Finn and Jake. My moveset idea is that Yakko would be the main one and Dot and Wakko could appear in specials (similar to how the other Beavers appear when playing as one in Nasb 2).

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Idea that Animaniacs should be a Pokémon trainer style character. You might as well separate them and work a bit more to give them a real down special.
Honestly the only real reason I can think of for why they seem like, insistent on them being a trio is...maybe it's an attempt to diverge them more from Bugs Bunny? The Warners are definitely characters who wear their inspiration on their monochromatic sleeves, so maybe they figured they'd have a similar general game plan to Bugs, and went the trio route in order to make them stand out more.

Mere speculation on my end, but maybe that's why. I'd still 100% prefer a solo Yakko but I digress.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly the only real reason I can think of for why they seem like, insistent on them being a trio is...maybe it's an attempt to diverge them more from Bugs Bunny? The Warners are definitely characters who wear their inspiration on their monochromatic sleeves, so maybe they figured they'd have a similar general game plan to Bugs, and went the trio route in order to make them stand out more.

Mere speculation on my end, but maybe that's why. I'd still 100% prefer a solo Yakko but I digress.
I’d believe they’d have a harder time diverging solo Warners from Bugs than they would with Daffy or Wile E, though it’s probably not impossible. Like I could imagine a few good character specific moves for Wakko and Dot.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not even sure that the girls are even coming. They would be extremely difficult to develop for.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not even sure that the girls are even coming. They would be extremely difficult to develop for.
I mean, because the game got datamined, we know they're at the very least planned. And considering the strings were in places that would imply they're coming sooner rather than later, there's not really a reason to think they'd suddenly drop them.

This isn't an issue like Gandalf where he had to be scrapped at the last minute due to rights issues.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, because the game got datamined, we know they're at the very least planned. And considering the strings were in places that would imply they're coming sooner rather than later, there's not really a reason to think they'd suddenly drop them.

This isn't an issue like Gandalf where he had to be scrapped at the last minute due to rights issues.
They might have been scrapped for the same reason Smash 4 had to cut the Ice Climbers and Ultimate had to cut Rex and replace him with Pyra/Mythra. They might just be too hard to develop for. Either that or they might have to make them fully separate fighters, which they have done before (Gizmo and Stripe I believe were originally meant to be a 2-in-1 fighter before getting separated during development, same goes for PSASBR where due to development constraints they had to split Good Cole and Evil Cole into their own roster slots).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They might have been scrapped for the same reason Smash 4 had to cut the Ice Climbers and Ultimate had to cut Rex and replace him with Pyra/Mythra. They might just be too hard to develop for. Either that or they might have to make them fully separate fighters, which they have done before (Gizmo and Stripe I believe were originally meant to be a 2-in-1 fighter before getting separated during development, same goes for PSASBR where due to development constraints they had to split Good Cole and Evil Cole into their own roster slots).
There's no real reason to assume they'd be an Ice Climbers type of character though. That's a very Smash centric way of thinking. For all we know they could be a Duck Hunt situation where multiple models are effectively one character. And even if they did the Ice Climbers thing...they worked fine on the Wii U and only had trouble on the 3DS, a piece of incredibly outdated, low power hardware. That literally wouldn't even be relevant here.

And Rex and Pyra are both very detailed human characters with humanlike proportions. The Powerpuff Girls are...not.

None of these issues would apply to them, and only do so if you're super Smash-brained and oversimplify the issues Smash had.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Stop dooming in every thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The game is on much more powerful hardware than the 3ds and wii u, and the game doesn't have 8 player smash so technical issue wouldn't be a problem.

As for Gizmo and Stripe, my guess is that early on they had a transformation gimmick (Mogwai transform in Gremlins when they eat after midnight), but they scrap that because the moveset were different enough to give them 2 spots. I don't think they would scrap entirely the Powerpuff girls, it's like one of CN most beloved cartoons of all time. If anything they might give them all 3 different spots if the original ideas doesn't work but there's no way they would just scrap them.

Also Good Cole and Evil Cole wasn't for development issues, it was literally because Insomniac ask them to give 2 spots to Cole or have no Cole at all. They had no choice.

Donaldtoon

Smash Cadet
They could be like Pokemon Trainer or just making them separates

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
how you gonna feel if this was the loading screen of relaunch
Honestly, as much as Daffy should be in, these two specifically being the first two at relaunch would be pretty disappointing.

In Daffy's case, he's a great addition, but that would be two Looney Tunes characters in a row and I would much prefer more variety. Let Daffy come a bit later on after letting some other franchises get introduced.

Marceline would be another point toward the alleged leak from PapaGenos that I think would be fairly disappointing, considering a lot of the things mentioned in it, and there are several other characters who we know were further along in development before the game got shuttered who I think should be there at relaunch instead of Yet Another Adventure Time Character at this point in the game.

So all in all I'd be pretty disappointed if Those Two Specifically were the opening acts of the relaunch.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I have pretty much the same thought. I think Daffy would be an amazing pick, but if there's only 2 newcomers after more than a year of waiting he wouldn't be my first pick. He would be awesome with a bigger cast of newcomers (like if we have around 6 newcomers, I think he could be awesome to complete the Looney Tunes rep alongside more new franchises in the mix), but in this situation it would pretty disappointing.

I personally don't care about Marceline in the first place and there's just way too many cooler CN characters that have leaked that I would be a bit disappointed he was the one prioritised. Imo Samurai Jack, Ben 10, Powerpuff girls and Johnny Bravo are much cooler than Marceline, and even non CN cartoons like Fred Flinstones would also be much cooler.

Realistically I don't really see them relaunching with only 2 new characters either way, unless they really took that year to rework completely the gameplay, which would mean less time on actual new content. Season 1 alone had 5 new characters, and while Season 2 only had Marvin, we know thay had plans for much more. When they announced Marvin and Season 2 they said: "New roster additions are incredibly exciting, so we figured we’d give you a bit of a tease of one of the new characters who will be joining the MVS roster in Season 2!" So I'm assuming there was plans for 3-5 characters in season 2 too.

Donaldtoon

Smash Cadet
Honestly, as much as Daffy should be in, these two specifically being the first two at relaunch would be pretty disappointing.

In Daffy's case, he's a great addition, but that would be two Looney Tunes characters in a row and I would much prefer more variety. Let Daffy come a bit later on after letting some other franchises get introduced.

Marceline would be another point toward the alleged leak from PapaGenos that I think would be fairly disappointing, considering a lot of the things mentioned in it, and there are several other characters who we know were further along in development before the game got shuttered who I think should be there at relaunch instead of Yet Another Adventure Time Character at this point in the game.

So all in all I'd be pretty disappointed if Those Two Specifically were the opening acts of the relaunch.
Marceline and Daffy are very requested so it will bring back people hype and they had evidence of being in relaunch, Daffy could be the angry character

Donaldtoon

Smash Cadet
I have pretty much the same thought. I think Daffy would be an amazing pick, but if there's only 2 newcomers after more than a year of waiting he wouldn't be my first pick. He would be awesome with a bigger cast of newcomers (like if we have around 6 newcomers, I think he could be awesome to complete the Looney Tunes rep alongside more new franchises in the mix), but in this situation it would pretty disappointing.

I personally don't care about Marceline in the first place and there's just way too many cooler CN characters that have leaked that I would be a bit disappointed he was the one prioritised. Imo Samurai Jack, Ben 10, Powerpuff girls and Johnny Bravo are much cooler than Marceline, and even non CN cartoons like Fred Flinstones would also be much cooler.

Realistically I don't really see them relaunching with only 2 new characters either way, unless they really took that year to rework completely the gameplay, which would mean less time on actual new content. Season 1 alone had 5 new characters, and while Season 2 only had Marvin, we know thay had plans for much more. When they announced Marvin and Season 2 they said: "New roster additions are incredibly exciting, so we figured we’d give you a bit of a tease of one of the new characters who will be joining the MVS roster in Season 2!" So I'm assuming there was plans for 3-5 characters in season 2 too.
The reason why people want Marceline is because of more Adventure Time representation and is one of most complex and interesenting of the series due of his backstory along with Ice King/Simon Petrikov, also brings more female representation

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marceline and Daffy are very requested so it will bring back people hype and they had evidence of being in relaunch, Daffy could be the angry character
And that's at the expense of variety. WB has so many absolutely iconic properties to pull from instead of triple dipping on Adventure Time this early.

You know who else they could add who's an iconic female character with cool powers? Someone who's one of the most iconic villains of all time from literally any media, someone who would actually add to franchise variety, and is already known to be very far along in development, since her voice lines are already in the game?

The Wicked Witch of the West. Now that would be a nice character to have upon relaunch, instead of insisting on turning the game into Punch-Time Explosion 2.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This game literally only has two home grown CN franchises represented, those being Steven Universe and Adventure Time. And you guys want them to triple dip on the latter before any other CN franchises even get one rep?

Donaldtoon

Smash Cadet
And that's at the expense of variety. WB has so many absolutely iconic properties to pull from instead of triple dipping on Adventure Time this early.

You know who else they could add who's an iconic female character with cool powers? Someone who's one of the most iconic villains of all time from literally any media, someone who would actually add to franchise variety, and is already known to be very far along in development, since her voice lines are already in the game?

The Wicked Witch of the West. Now that would be a nice character to have upon relaunch, instead of insisting on turning the game into Punch-Time Explosion 2.
Don't get me wrong i love these The Wicked Witch of the West and i still think she gonna be in the game but i think relaunch needs to be promote with highly requested characters since last time the game has lost many people so they need recover people attention

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't get it?
Punch time explosion is a old Cartoon Network crossover fighting game. He's criticizing the fact that most big request comes from CN and I totally agree with him. Sure CN have an amazing library, but this is a WB crossover game, thay also have huge live action movie, shows, they have DC comics (and while I don't want this game to become Injustice 3, we only scratch the surface of what DC can bring), and they have cartoons other than CN stuff (Hannah-Barbera and Telepictures).

The reason why people want Marceline is because of more Adventure Time representation and is one of most complex and interesenting of the series due of his backstory along with Ice King/Simon Petrikov, also brings more female representation
Yeah I get it, but I don't want more Adventure time representation. I'm totally in for more female (especially because none of the post launch characters were female), but why her? Even if you want specifically a CN character, Powerpuff girls are right there and they leaked. Unikitty could be super fun too. But outside of that there's Wicked witch of the West like Oppossum said, and I tink Dorothy could be super fun too. Among leaked characters, we know Raven is coming probably very soon too, and DC have plenty of cool female characters such as Zatanna, Starfire, or Poison Ivy or Killer frost if you want a vilain. I you specifically want something that hasn't been done in Injustice, you could go with something a bit more niche like Stargirl, Giganta, Circe or Lashina. There's also Kitana or Mileena from Mortal kombat, Trinity from The Matrix or Dolores from Westworld.

Donaldtoon

Smash Cadet
Punch time explosion is a old Cartoon Network crossover fighting game. He's criticizing the fact that most big request comes from CN and I totally agree with him. Sure CN have an amazing library, but this is a WB crossover game, thay also have huge live action movie, shows, they have DC comics (and while I don't want this game to become Injustice 3, we only scratch the surface of what DC can bring), and they have cartoons other than CN stuff (Hannah-Barbera and Telepictures).

Yeah I get it, but I don't want more Adventure time representation. I'm totally in for more female (especially because none of the post launch characters were female), but why her? Even if you want specifically a CN character, Powerpuff girls are right there and they leaked. Unikitty could be super fun too. But outside of that there's Wicked witch of the West like Oppossum said, and I tink Dorothy could be super fun too. Among leaked characters, we know Raven is coming probably very soon too, and DC have plenty of cool female characters such as Zatanna, Starfire, or Poison Ivy or Killer frost if you want a vilain. I you specifically want something that hasn't been done in Injustice, you could go with something a bit more niche like Stargirl, Giganta, Circe or Lashina. There's also Kitana or Mileena from Mortal kombat, Trinity from The Matrix or Dolores from Westworld.
In my case Adventure Time is my favorite CN show, as anyone think on Daphne and Nicole?

If I were to reveal two characters to relaunch MultiVersus with, I'd go with Green Lantern and Yogi Bear. To my knowledge, they aren't promoting anything if they arrive in 2024, plus Green Lantern wouldn't be the first DC character people would expect to see when the game comes back. That, and Yogi would represent Hanna-Barbera beyond Scooby-Doo, which is a plus for those who main the wackier fighters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't get me wrong i love these The Wicked Witch of the West and i still think she gonna be in the game but i think relaunch needs to be promote with highly requested characters since last time the game has lost many people so they need recover people attention
Well honestly, I think the biggest issue is the idea that after a year of retooling, they'd return with only two character announcements. That's what makes that particular line up especially poor, imo.

But if they had to only have two, I think there are far better alternatives. A combination of, say, Samurai Jack and the Wicked Witch would be much better.

• You get an animated character and a live action character.
  • One male character and one female character.
  • One is a highly requested Hero from a Cartoon Network classic, and the other is one of the most iconic villains of all time from one of the most influential films of all time.
  • They'd have two completely different playstyles, being Assassin and Mage, respectively, most likely.
  • They cover two distinctly different demographics due to coming from completely different sides of the company.
  • Both characters are seemingly far along in development anyway, especially if Samurai Jack really is the fan favorite who got pushed forward in priority a few months before the game went down (which would match with the stage datamine).

If there had to be only two, those are the ones to pick, imo. The other issue with the Daffy/Marceline line up is that, well, there are a lot of other characters who are further along in development, so it wouldn't make sense to stop work on folks like Joker, Beetlejuice, Raven, Scooby-Doo, or the duo mentioned above, just to move Daffy ahead considerably (our only "confirmation" of him being planned is the known leaker saying he's coming eventually, but nothing thus far has come up in the actual data, unlike these other folks), and to start work on Marceline wholesale (there's literally no reliable indication that she's even planned, as PapaGenos hasn't been proven to be reliable for this game).

If they want a successful relaunch, it makes more sense for them to finish the characters who are most close to completion, and then work on more brand new ones.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I were to reveal two characters to relaunch MultiVersus with, I'd go with Green Lantern and Yogi Bear. To my knowledge, they aren't promoting anything if they arrive in 2024, plus Green Lantern wouldn't be the first DC character people would expect to see when the game comes back. That, and Yogi would represent Hanna-Barbera beyond Scooby-Doo, which is a plus for those who main the wackier fighters.
aren't tome and jerry hanna barbera?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
aren't tome and jerry hanna barbera?
Not really. They are Indeed created by Bill Hanna and Joseph Barbera, but they preceed the creation of their animation studios and iirc they never owned Tom and Jerry, it was owned by MGM cartoons before it also merged with WB.

MGM is also known for Droopy the dog.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I wouldn't want them to be the only two newcomers at launch, but Daffy is my most wanted and Marceline is in my top 10, so I'd be thrilled.

This game literally only has two home grown CN franchises represented, those being Steven Universe and Adventure Time. And you guys want them to triple dip on the latter before any other CN franchises even get one rep?
Why do you care? You've made it clear several times you don't even want more CN characters in this game. You said even one more would just make it "Punch Time Explosion 2" (despite the fact that according to leaks we're getting 11+ DC characters yet that doesn't make it Injustice 3) and you keep coming up with all these excuses for why they shouldn't put in the Powerpuff Girls.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be fair. The Eds, Animaniacs and maybe even PPG could work the same way as Pyra + Mythra and Norbert + Daggett. Switching to whichever one you want.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be fair. The Eds, Animaniacs and maybe even PPG could work the same way as Pyra + Mythra and Norbert + Daggett. Switching to whichever one you want.
I'm just not a big fan of this type of moveset honestly. Pyra and Mythra I think it makes sense because that's how they work in their original game, and Pokémon trainer I can accept it because I get that this a reference to Pokémon gameplay loop. Norbert and Dagett was already stretching it, but I can kind of accept it because their body shapes are just so similar that their moveset where probably going to be very similar either way. But the Eds or Animaniacs I don't see the point at all. Just give them one last special moves and make them all separate.

Imo they should either go all in with the idea (similar to Maids in Melty blood or Ferra and Torr in Mortal kombat) or just don't do it at all.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think I'd like to see more Cartoon Network reps from the era I grew up with instead of doing a third character from a franchise that's already perfectly represented.

Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter, Ben 10, Numbuh One - literally any of them I'd rather before Marceline or another SU rep - and that's from someone who adores Lapis, Peridot, Amethyst, and Spinel.

I want more of WB's history repped.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I think I'd like to see more Cartoon Network reps from the era I grew up with instead of doing a third character from a franchise that's already perfectly represented.

Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter, Ben 10, Numbuh One - literally any of them I'd rather before Marceline or another SU rep - and that's from someone who adores Lapis, Peridot, Amethyst, and Spinel.

I want more of WB's history repped.
i'd like to see Bloo, Chowder, Mordecai & Rigby, Grim, Courage, and The Kids Next Door get in the game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm absolutely of the mind that Cartoon Network, PTE's existence notwithstanding, is probably the biggest untapped well this game has.

While I do think we should get a few other shows first, I'm down for more Adventure Time characters, it's been such a huge hit, is relevant again, has moveset potential out the wazoo, and personally, I'm really fond of it. I think perfect rep would be Marceline and Ice King alongside Finn and Jake and that'd satisfy me.

Hell, same can be said for Steven Universe. I wouldn't flood the game with more characters from it, but no reason we can't either get Amethyst and Pearl to close out the team, or get some darkhorse picks instead like Lapis or Peridot.

One reason I want the Powerpuff Girls separated, beyond that just making more sense in the context of this game and who the characters are, is because I feel like PPG deserves multiple playable characters. If they're going to shove them together, the least they can do is also give us Mojo Jojo alongside them.

I think the characters I want most, besides the PPG, are Samurai Jack (I cannot for the life of me understand why he wasn't there to begin with), Dexter, Grim, Mordecai, Rigby, Courage, The Red Guy, any Ed, and Johnny Bravo. I also hope the leaks saying we're getting Craig are true.

Not a CN original, but if we get Space Ghost, it'd be hysterical if he were based off the Coast to Coast version.

ALSO, I feel it's worth bringing up Adult Swim.
I think Rick and Morty on their own are fine, so bring in ATHF characters and I am begging you, please put in some Smiling Friends characters! At least Charlie with that underhand gut punch.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm absolutely of the mind that Cartoon Network, PTE's existence notwithstanding, is probably the biggest untapped well this game has.

While I do think we should get a few other shows first, I'm down for more Adventure Time characters, it's been such a huge hit, is relevant again, has moveset potential out the wazoo, and personally, I'm really fond of it. I think perfect rep would be Marceline and Ice King alongside Finn and Jake and that'd satisfy me.

Hell, same can be said for Steven Universe. I wouldn't flood the game with more characters from it, but no reason we can't either get Amethyst and Pearl to close out the team, or get some darkhorse picks instead like Lapis or Peridot.

One reason I want the Powerpuff Girls separated, beyond that just making more sense in the context of this game and who the characters are, is because I feel like PPG deserves multiple playable characters. If they're going to shove them together, the least they can do is also give us Mojo Jojo alongside them.

I think the characters I want most, besides the PPG, are Samurai Jack (I cannot for the life of me understand why he wasn't there to begin with), Dexter, Grim, Mordecai, Rigby, Courage, The Red Guy, any Ed, and Johnny Bravo. I also hope the leaks saying we're getting Craig are true.

Not a CN original, but if we get Space Ghost, it'd be hysterical if he were based off the Coast to Coast version.

ALSO, I feel it's worth bringing up Adult Swim.
I think Rick and Morty on their own are fine, so bring in ATHF characters and I am begging you, please put in some Smiling Friends characters! At least Charlie with that underhand gut punch.
Just to be clear, I'm not against the idea of more Adventure time characters, and I do agree that it's one of their most iconic shows in recent years and arguably ever. But they could just wait before adding more of that franchises. It's a live service game, so why not add more different shows first and then focus later on side characters. It's not like Marceline will never get in, it's just that I don't think she should be high priority when they have a huge library of untouched movies and series.

Totally agree on Adult swim characters. My first pick would be Riley from Boondocks actually. Not sure if they would be willing to do it, but it could be super fun.

D

Deleted member

Even though the game's gone for now, I'm just glad I managed to get some trophies and screenshots.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is Wicked Witch of the West a animal?
There's no suitable character in the datamines. And I believe that all of the new characters we're getting at the launch of the new version are ones that have already been datamined.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
There's no suitable character in the datamines. And I believe that all of the new characters we're getting at the launch of the new version are ones that have already been datamined.
They're obviously working on more characters that what has been datamined. He never said that the character he's working on right now is coming at the launch of the new version.

Top Bottom