• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait, is that... Lollipop Chainsaw? Is that a Warner Bros IP?!?!
Apparently, seeing as James Gunn was involved with the game.

Although neither Juliet Starling nor her game has been touched in years, not even No More Heroes III referenced it. So I doubt that Player First Games would even know of it.

Instead of Starfire, I would add Beast boy from Teen titans. Not only I think he could be more unique, but Beast boy was never in a Injustice games so he would feel even more special.
Whynotboth.jpg.

I mean, this game is pretty new as an IP, so it's hard to say how long it'll go for.

UserKev

Smash Champion
My one biggest fear for the game is a bloated roster cluttered with filler. I hope Warner Bros takes some notes from Smash in terms of handling the roster and focuses on uniqueness.

I also fear too much DC and basically any HB before Cartoon Network. HB just has a really different focus. I mean, Betty would be my rep for HB. For DC, we really don't need anymore DC reps other than Teen Titans, but I would love Black Beetle from Young Justice. Batman, Harley, Superman and Wonder Woman already perfectly represent DC.

The game's roster needs to be primarily balanced and clone-less as possible, that way every IP can properly shine.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice

Although neither Juliet Starling nor her game has been touched in years, not even No More Heroes III referenced it. So I doubt that Player First Games would even know of it.

Whynotboth.jpg.

I mean, this game is pretty new as an IP, so it's hard to say how long it'll go for.
I mean a parody of Juliet appears in Travis Strikes Again, if i remember SUDA51 wanted the actual Juliet to appear, but I guess WB didn't want to cooperate

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean a parody of Juliet appears in Travis Strikes Again, if i remember SUDA51 wanted the actual Juliet to appear, but I guess WB didn't want to cooperate
Yeah, it seems that Juliet Chesterfield was his way of advancing the character while also playing nice with the lawyers, with the heavy implication that it really is her. Considering how many companies he got to cooperate in the making of NMH3 to send the series off with a bang, it's not surprising he'd want her in in some capacity as well and made do with what he could.

She'd be really fun to see in this.

amageish

Smash Master

I mean, if we're ranking Warner Bros IPs, then yeah... Lollipop Chainsaw is SUPER obscure relative to the million and billion dollar franchises we've seen thus far.

But if we already limit the pool to Warner's video game offerings... An original IP by a prolific indie dev like Suda51 isn't anything to sneeze at, even if it hasn't been officially seen in a little while.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, if we're ranking Warner Bros IPs, then yeah... Lollipop Chainsaw is SUPER obscure relative to the million and billion dollar franchises we've seen thus far.

But if we already limit the pool to Warner's video game offerings... An original IP by a prolific indie dev like Suda51 isn't anything to sneeze at, even if it hasn't been officially seen in a little while.
Yeah, although the Midway library could still get in the way. You bet that some people would love to see George, Ralph and Lizzie mix it up before a cheerleader with a chainsaw and her bf's severed head. 🦍🐺🦎

Yeah, it seems that Juliet Chesterfield was his way of advancing the character while also playing nice with the lawyers, with the heavy implication that it really is her. Considering how many companies he got to cooperate in the making of NMH3 to send the series off with a bang, it's not surprising he'd want her in in some capacity as well and made do with what he could.

She'd be really fun to see in this.
I hadn't realized it, considering how almost completely different she seems there.

Meanwhile, he had no problem whatsoever throwing shade on EA's Riccitello for the Shadows of the Damned development references (at least until real-life controversy happened in between games), so go figure.

Although it would be hilarious if Juliet did show up in this after Suda's been trying to get someone in Smash.

you know something about shaggy makes me think that a fair amount in the roster will be going in a certain direction. what I mean i think if we work out who has the most memes we can work who's mostly likely
At least for the first year or so (after that fan requests would probably influence things). Going by that logic, Fred Flintstone is definitely coming soon, seeing as they could capitalize on the Silvagunner memes.

Only question is, would they use the Game Awards to announce any next characters for the base roster?

My one biggest fear for the game is a bloated roster cluttered with filler. I hope Warner Bros takes some notes from Smash in terms of handling the roster and focuses on uniqueness.

I also fear too much DC and basically any HB before Cartoon Network. HB just has a really different focus. I mean, Betty would be my rep for HB. For DC, we really don't need anymore DC reps other than Teen Titans, but I would love Black Beetle from Young Justice. Batman, Harley, Superman and Wonder Woman already perfectly represent DC.

The game's roster needs to be primarily balanced and clone-less as possible, that way every IP can properly shine.
As far as I can see, we're hitting virgin territory, so the only precedent we can rely on is WB and Netherrealm's habit of flinging in random one-shot guest characters. That is, what I think, would be the actual issue.

For HB I really only need Fred Flintstone, Mr. Dastardly and maybe the SWAT Kats (Mystery Crew's optional). I want more CN characters in comparison (especially from OK KO, who would fit a fighting game like a glove).

Also, Duck Dodgers as a Green Lantern for laughs, that'd kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, although the Midway library could still get in the way. You bet that some people would love to see George, Ralph and Lizzie mix it up before a cheerleader with a chainsaw and her bf's severed head. 🦍🐺🦎
George vs King Kong would be very funny... if Warner does own King Kong; I've seen mixed reactions to that.

Anyway, if we're talking Midway, my choice is probably Tapper from... Tapper? Iconic character who'd be fun in a Duck-Hunt-esque "Wait, they built a moveset around that game???" way. Marble Madness is my fave Midway Arcade game, but I'm not going to sit here and be like "Wouldn't it be hype if they added a sphere into the game."

Although it would be hilarious if Juliet did show up in this after Suda's been trying to get someone in Smash.
I now want every interview with Suda to ask about Multiversus as a sequel to how they previously always asked about Smash lol.

Only question is, would they use the Game Awards to announce any next characters for the base roster?
If you wanted my guess...

Wait, no, this isn't the NASB thread... Um... er...

There we go. Consistent branding continued.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another wrinkle to keep in mind is whether Reindog is the only original character or not.

https://gamerant.com/multiversus-roster-reindog-original-character/

No one knows exactly why he is a thing, though I suspect that this might have been inspired by Rivals of Aether.

Also, I hope to see more fan art like this piece in the future, so that the envelope meme lives on:

By the way, in case anyone's missed it, they have a Discord up:

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I was on Google images, looking for images for roster maker icons, when I found a toy that, I think, gives a fairly decent mock-up of what a hypothetical MultiVersus Neo might look like:
neo toy.png

Obviously the bodily proportions would be more realistic, but the face seems really consistent with how they stylized Arya Stark to me.

Faso115

Smash Lord

I got this from reddit. This is how the roster would look like if all the leaks are real and there aren't any other characters for base (outside of Lebron cause he comes up a lot)

Whoever made this interpreted the "sco" in one of the leaks as Scooby Doo. Heh, i personally dont mind but i bet the leak meant Scorpion

UserKev

Smash Champion
It means Scorpion, I get it. As much as I want Mortal Kombat saved for Smash, he's likely getting in Multiversus. If Warner Bros is serious, Scorpion in Smash, but not Multiversus would contradict them.

Addressing parallels, Coyote and even Daffy are stated to be the Waluigi of this game. Daffy should be placed in the Luigi category tho. A Gremlin, Stripe to be specific will def be the Ridley of this game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It means Scorpion, I get it. As much as I want Mortal Kombat saved for Smash, he's likely getting in Multiversus. If Warner Bros is serious, Scorpion in Smash, but not Multiversus would contradict them.

Addressing parallels, Coyote and even Daffy are stated to be the Waluigi of this game. Daffy should be placed in the Luigi category tho. A Gremlin, Stripe to be specific will def be the Ridley of this game.
No law says that one video game-originated character can't be in more than one fighting game, let alone two that are likely to be 10 years apart from each other. Next best thing and all (and as it was said earlier in the thread, nothing can be a replacement to Smash).

Besides, it would help if this game could get distributed in Japan and therefore get past the weird content-editing issues that make recent MKs difficult to officially distribute there. The worst thing that this game has is just some foul language. The only tricky part is dubbing the characters with seiyuu that haven't been assigned to them to start with.

Also, shutting up the "too mature for kiddy cartoon punching game" crowd for a bit until then, which Arya certainly helped with.

At any rate, I'm satisfied with the fact that the dream of having Shaggy fight MK characters can potentially come true. Someone even went as far as making a list of characters he should fight: https://www.looper.com/668267/5-more-characters-shaggy-needs-to-fight-in-multiversus/

I got this from reddit. This is how the roster would look like if all the leaks are real and there aren't any other characters for base (outside of Lebron cause he comes up a lot)

Whoever made this interpreted the "sco" in one of the leaks as Scooby Doo. Heh, i personally dont mind but i bet the leak meant Scorpion
As far as these rumors go, who would be considered big enough for the VGAs? Gandalf? Rick? Fred? A Lin Kuei?

Although I'd be okay with Neo being randomly announced to shill The Matrix Resurrections.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far as these rumors go, who would be considered big enough for the VGAs? Gandalf? Rick? Fred? A Lin Kuei?

Although I'd be okay with Neo being randomly announced to shill The Matrix Resurrections.
Scorpion or Sub would be big enough. Rick wouldn't be "Unknown" but, pretty typical. Gandalf can manage to be a natural reveal of sheer recognition. We might just end up getting Daffy or Raven.

amageish

Smash Master

Yeah, uh, I think getting both Scorpion and Sub-Zero is more likely then Scooby-Doo at this point. I don't see much of a reason they would have held him off when Finn/Jake and Steven/Garnet were revealed together if he was making it in time to be in the base roster.

This would be a solid start to the game for sure though! Slightly biased towards 2010s content (which is a sentence I definitely can't say about NASB lol), but overall as good of a spread as I can imagine one having when Warner Bros has a stake in basically everything...

Also, random pitch that I've said in other places but not here: I don't really care all that much about the YouTube series Death Battle, but it is a Warner Bros IP and I therefore really want them to make the hosts of it options as the announcers of this game. Put the crossover fight show into the crossover fighter. Embrace the meta.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, random pitch that I've said in other places but not here: I don't really care all that much about the YouTube series Death Battle, but it is a Warner Bros IP and I therefore really want them to make the hosts of it options as the announcers of this game. Put the crossover fight show into the crossover fighter. Embrace the meta.
That would be interesting. Reminds me of Dance Dance Revolution X getting two announcers.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The hosts of Death Battle would be pretty tedium, honestly. They are amazing in their specific, but they'd be cringe as hosts of Multiversus, especially when we're reported to be able to set the roster as announcers. If I had to pick an announcer for Multiversus, give me Optimus Prime's voice actor or Tom's voice actor, Steve Blum. Or some old Cartoon Network hosts, names I don't remember.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Perhaps they could have multiple announcers you can choose from. Like Fraymakers.
There actually are announcers confirmed for the game
1637767027778.png

For example on this screenshot shown on the site has Batman selected as the announcer.

Which this is a neat transition I've been thinking about, what are some announcers y'all would like to see in the game? My personal top 3 are Gumball & Darwin (love the show and I think they'd have funny dialogue), Mordecai & Rigby (same with Gumball & Darwin, but I preferred the Amazing World of Gumball as a kid. Regular Show still fantastic though), and Joker (just think he'd have good comments and would be funny)

EDIT: Found out Impractical Jokers is a property of Warner Bros., so you know the announcer that goes "so Sal's tonight's biggest loser," yeah I want him to be an announcer.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Having already mentioned my most wanted voice announcers, I'm absolute thrilled by the potential of a story mode that will most likely center around Reindog. Some bosses I'd like to see, Trigon, Giant Mojo, Malachite, Lich, King Ramses, and a boss version of Aku. Most are basically iconic and would be fun to fight.

Having already mentioned my most wanted voice announcers, I'm absolute thrilled by the potential of a story mode that will most likely center around Reindog. Some bosses I'd like to see, Trigon, Giant Mojo, Malachite, Lich, King Ramses, and a boss version of Aku. Most are basically iconic and would be fun to fight.
And Mechagodzilla.

Baysha

Smash Ace
I feel like White Diamond would be a good boss. But that's probably because I think she didn't (is this even a spoiler anymore?) get enough time as a villain and I liked her more before she was redeemed.

I feel like White Diamond would be a good boss. But that's probably because I think she didn't (is this even a spoiler anymore?) get enough time as a villain and I liked her more before she was redeemed.
Or even better boss ideas.
Invictus from Final Space, he could be like Marx, but he could possess you by some occasions.
Also the Glitch from Pibby could reveal its form and it could be the boss fight based on Pibby.
Good ideas?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually thought of White Diamond, but I think she lost the spark. Also, you'd have to make her attacks legit powerful without being terrifying for lack of a better world. I see Malachite as the perfect boss for Steven Universe.

amageish

Smash Master
View attachment 338691
For example on this screenshot shown on the site has Batman selected as the announcer.

Which this is a neat transition I've been thinking about, what are some announcers y'all would like to see in the game? My personal top 3 are Gumball & Darwin (love the show and I think they'd have funny dialogue), Mordecai & Rigby (same with Gumball & Darwin, but I preferred the Amazing World of Gumball as a kid. Regular Show still fantastic though), and Joker (just think he'd have good comments and would be funny)
Oh, woah, I didn't realize multiple announcers were confirmed when I made my comment! That is cool to hear.

If there are going to be people who are announcer options that aren't also playable characters, then it's mostly announcers/MCs who I'd want to hear. Let's have the Narrator from the Powerpuff Girls be an option! Warner Bros apparently owns Let's Make a Deal, so let's have Wayne Brady be an option! Warner Bros apparently owns CNN, so **** it, let Anderson Cooper be an announcer for Multiversus.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Also I'm hoping we get a good amount of special conversations with the characters, like MVC3, we already know Superman and Batman have one together in the reveal trailer

UserKev

Smash Champion
Also I'm hoping we get a good amount of special conversations with the characters, like MVC3, we already know Superman and Batman have one together in the reveal trailer
Or like MKX or MK11? I'd def be on board. I don't think the characters necessarily need to interact tho. Maybe in Story Mode. But the characters can already essentially interact while fighting through their personalities like Smash if you have the imagination.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 338691

Oh, woah, I didn't realize multiple announcers were confirmed when I made my comment! That is cool to hear.

If there are going to be people who are announcer options that aren't also playable characters, then it's mostly announcers/MCs who I'd want to hear. Let's have the Narrator from the Powerpuff Girls be an option! Warner Bros apparently owns Let's Make a Deal, so let's have Wayne Brady be an option! Warner Bros apparently owns CNN, so **** it, let Anderson Cooper be an announcer for Multiversus.
I think some of you might know what my answer to that is...

Dynamite Watkins from Action News!!!

Apparently the site lists the main antagonist as the "Nothing" and there is some speculation it may be the same as the dark force in the Neverending Story, which would certainly be an unexpected pick.
This feels like more than a reference, seeing as The Nothing can destroy an imaginary world when enough people lose sight of hopes, dreams and imagination. WB is filled with imaginary worlds, so it makes sense. Nothing else short of the Anti-Monitor would have the kind of power to threaten an entire multiverse in this context, especially since they'd need to have the ability to permanently kill seemingly immortal toon physics characters like Bugs Bunny.

On a related note, what would make for good Polygon Fighting Team equivalents? I can think of the Boxmore robots and Kobra.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: The WMG page on TV Tropes has a list of character guesses that gives us a general idea of who to expect.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/MultiVersus

Really can't wait for more footage so we can have more to work with. I wish I could find a gif of the current gameplay so we can start analyzing. :ohwell:
I suppose that we could see something at the Game Awards soon. Luckily that's just two weeks from now...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm really enjoying the character class archetypes, Bruiser, assassin, tank, etc. I'm hoping for a Trickster archetype that will most likely go to characters like Joker.. Right? That's one archetype I feel is missing at least. I hope we see Specialists.

A Dev positively responded to a fan of Steven Universe in terms of Steven's model that seemed to be slightly off from his default design. I really couldn't tell the difference, but maybe I'm not as much as a fan of SU as I originally thought. Fan reception is a great way to progression tho.

Top Bottom