• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Calling a platform fighter a Smash Killer before it’s out of the gate is just a death sentence for that game as it generates unobtainable amount expectance that will generally fall flat. Instead, we should feel these sort of games as extensions of the genre that bolsters and improves instead of trying to supplant the thing that created it. Calling NASBR a Smash Killer was idiotic and what doomed it; something that the developers actively recognized. So if you want Multiversus to succeed, don’t call it a Smash Killer.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
It helps massively that it has Disney Infinity's former lead character designer for the art direction. That, by itself, makes the concept of mashing visually-distinct properties more appealing than a certain previous Western attempt by Sony.
I knew that art style looked familiar! Those games were good dumb fun.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Calling a platform fighter a Smash Killer before it’s out of the gate is just a death sentence for that game as it generates unobtainable amount expectance that will generally fall flat. Instead, we should feel these sort of games as extensions of the genre that bolsters and improves instead of trying to supplant the thing that created it. Calling NASBR a Smash Killer was idiotic and what doomed it; something that the developers actively recognized. So if you want Multiversus to succeed, don’t call it a Smash Killer.
This would have hit hard if you worded succeed with survive. What also helps, Warner Bros and Cartoon Network have more pop culture appeal and more active universes. Nick mostly falls in obscurity and cancellations that makes its universes feel.. stuck within a specific time. Other than Ninja Turtles, Avatar and Spongebob, Nick essentially struggles with longevity, relevancy and timeless appeal.

MultiVersus will have a strong speculation scene due to the vastness of its IP's, speculation being a core point of a game's life span and legacy. And that's not even mentioning the game's potential for guests like anime representation. MultiVersus will nearly have everything and will most likely be the only other essential competitor standing once Disney's platform giant comes into fruition if Nick doesn't step its game up.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This would have hit hard if you worded succeed with survive. What also helps, Warner Bros and Cartoon Network have more pop culture appeal and more active universes. Nick mostly falls in obscurity and cancellations that makes its universes feel.. stuck within a specific time. Other than Ninja Turtles, Avatar and Spongebob, Nick essentially struggles with longevity, relevancy and timeless appeal.

MultiVersus will have a strong speculation scene due to the vastness of its IP's, speculation being a core point of a game's life span and legacy. And that's not even mentioning the game's potential for guests like anime representation. MultiVersus will nearly have everything and will most likely be the only other essential competitor standing once Disney's platform giant comes into fruition if Nick doesn't step its game up.
Im not talking so much about the roster but the whole package. People saw NASBR, they saw a game that could contend or surpass Smash. Regardless if it was due to wavedashing, fast gameplay, Netcode, etc. People like Hungrybox were creating YouTube videos with high visibility with captions like “SMASH KILLER?!”. MultiVersus longevity doesn’t depend solely on the roster but on the gameplay, accessibility, polish, marketing, and the ever controversial F2P concept. We will just have to see. Not sold entirely on the concept yet but calling it a Smash Killer is going to harm the game in the long run.

amageish

Smash Master
I do wonder if we'll even get CGI trailers for this. Even the low-budget NASB still managed to show quick in-game engine brawler montages in its launch trailer. So far, MultiVersus' unveiling has had relatively few bells and whistles (probably due to VA budget securing).
I think we probably will get fancy reveal trailers for subsequent fighters, though they may be Smash-4-DLC-style and not proper CG trailers. I say this because Jeff Grubb's comments about the game before it was properly announced included him saying that Warner Bros wants to recapture the hype of Smash and the "break the internet" nature of reveals, which makes me think that they may take some risks in the advertising budget - spending money on reveals that will generate returns via word of mouth, instead of the usual bombardment of ads as pre-rolls and such...

It'd be a pretty logical progressive move too, as they once refused to even have a fighting game featuring their villains fighting each other, yet now we have a mobile game where many from their stable can mix it up without issue: https://insidethemagic.net/2020/04/disney-sorcerers-arena-bt1/

Also, have Wander and Sylvia in it (among other post-90s properties), Wander Over Yonder deserves that much.
I'm not sure if the MOBA market would be my first choice of markets to try and break into in 2021, but, uh, best of luck with that one Disney!

I think we probably will get fancy reveal trailers for subsequent fighters, though they may be Smash-4-DLC-style and not proper CG trailers. I say this because Jeff Grubb's comments about the game before it was properly announced included him saying that Warner Bros wants to recapture the hype of Smash and the "break the internet" nature of reveals, which makes me think that they may take some risks in the advertising budget - spending money on reveals that will generate returns via word of mouth, instead of the usual bombardment of ads as pre-rolls and such...

I'm not sure if the MOBA market would be my first choice of markets to try and break into in 2021, but, uh, best of luck with that one Disney!
I mean, if they did CGI trailers, they need to have high budget like smash does, since also Warner Bros makes the game, so WB is alos rich company like Nintendo, so they don't have problems for making CGI trailers for multiversus, unless they change models for bit, so it wont look uncanny and weird.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah it took smash five games to unseat SF2

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
yeah it took smash five games to unseat SF2
In terms of numbers, yes but in terms of impact, no. SF2 and a number of other fighting games still are held in higher regard compared to Smash in terms of legacy and contributions to the FGC. So while another platform fighting game may eventually succeed Smash in terms of sales and value, the imprint and legacy that the series left can never be overpassed or succeed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In terms of numbers, yes but in terms of impact, no. SF2 and a number of other fighting games still are held in higher regard compared to Smash in terms of legacy and contributions to the FGC. So while another platform fighting game may eventually succeed Smash in terms of sales and value, the imprint and legacy that the series left can never be overpassed or succeed.
No arguments here

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I say this because Jeff Grubb's comments about the game before it was properly announced included him saying that Warner Bros wants to recapture the hype of Smash and the "break the internet" nature of reveals, which makes me think that they may take some risks in the advertising budget - spending money on reveals that will generate returns via word of mouth, instead of the usual bombardment of ads as pre-rolls and such...
I mean, if they did CGI trailers, they need to have high budget like smash does, since also Warner Bros makes the game, so WB is alos rich company like Nintendo, so they don't have problems for making CGI trailers for multiversus, unless they change models for bit, so it wont look uncanny and weird.
Well, that's inspiring enough to hear, at least. Even the most overlooked of WB properties would benefit from that kind of reveal.

Also, does anyone else think we might get a Midway arcade-themed stage at some point? The expansion pack for Lego Dimensions was cool.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t have much stake in this game but here are a few characters I do want to see:
Aquaman
The Flash
Joker
Witchking of Angmar
Yosemite Sam
Daffy Duck
Marvin the Martian
Space Ghost
Blue Falcon and Dynomutt
Captain Caveman
Jon Snow & Ghost
Scorpion
Sub-Zero

Just some off the top of my head. My knowledge of the WB library is confined to a certain amount of properties.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t have much stake in this game but here are a few characters I do want to see:
Aquaman
The Flash
Joker
Witchking of Angmar
Yosemite Sam
Daffy Duck
Marvin the Martian
Space Ghost
Blue Falcon and Dynomutt
Captain Caveman
Jon Snow & Ghost
Scorpion
Sub-Zero

Just some off the top of my head. My knowledge of the WB library is confined to a certain amount of properties.
For The Joker, it's a question of when rather than if. He's had a consistent track record in WB-related fighting game appearances ever since Netherrealm first used him in their twilight years as Midway for MK Vs. DC.

I wonder if there'll be seasons that specifically add villains.

Also, on a side note, I find it hilarious that Harley is labelled as an Assassin type. She's the furthest you can get from stealthy.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
What stages are you looking forward to within Cartoon Network and Warner Bros?

I'm pretty hyped for Titans Tower.

Azarath is another stage I would love to see, Raven's homeworld.

lol Probably another roof stage, but the Powerpuff Girls house would be nostalgia.

Samurai Jack's. You can get real creative with Samurai Jack's home stage. And Steven's house are stages I hope are legit.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

lol Probably another roof stage, but the Powerpuff Girls house would be nostalgia.

Samurai Jack's. You can get real creative with Samurai Jack's home stage. And Steven's house are stages I hope are legit.
From Cartoon Network, Dexter's lab could be cool. From Mad Max maybe the citadel from Fury road could work well. If they want a black and white stage I think the best one they could do would be the bar from Casablanca.

From Scooby-Doo, I'm not sure which locations is very iconic but I would like either the Ghoul schools or Zombie island.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I saw someone, I don't recall where, suggest a stage based on Inception. It's one of the coolest ideas I've heard and I def support it.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I wonder what's the base roster number gonna be.

I personally would be fine with 25 characters at the start but if the leaks are correct besides the two obvious ones we have seen, we are due to have 8 more character reveals i believe? 21 characters is in line with NASB's roster number funnily enough

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the potential of having Carol and Mr. Gar got me thinking: what are the chances that some co-op moves will be exclusive to specific character teams?

We already have Finn and Jake to possibly demonstrate it.

Lakewood Plaza Turbo would be cool, while Courage's Nowhere would be funny since trying to leave it would now kill you, literally.

I think we as a community should pay more attention to the fact that Muscle Man is eligible
Honestly, I've thought of Rigby and Mordecai first. 🇨🇦

I personally would be fine with 25 characters at the start but if the leaks are correct besides the two obvious ones we have seen, we are due to have 8 more character reveals i believe? 21 characters is in line with NASB's roster number funnily enough
Doubly funny since Nick and CN are rivals, and this is basically set to become CNPTE2:
Imagine if Multversus was basically Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, but along with other WB properties like DC, Hanna Barbara, Looney Tunes and Adult Swim.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So, the potential of having Carol and Mr. Gar got me thinking: what are the chances that some co-op moves will be exclusive to specific character teams?

We already have Finn and Jake to possibly demonstrate it.
That would be a cool idea, that would explain also why Steven Universe have two characters. Also there was a leak that they wanted Harry Potter and Ron, so maybe this is what they where going for?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i might as well do a lsit of characters id like to see

DC: flash (barry) green lantern (hal) robin (tim) of course with the endless reboots they may not be the versions of them i like

SU: ruby and sapphire as a tag team, lion

AT: B-MO, marceline, ice king

LT: daffy, wil.e, road runner, elmer fudd, yosemite sam, granny, michigan j frog, marvin the martian

HB: top cat, the titular pigeon from catch the pigeon, the ant hill mob

Baysha

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm more interested in the more team based gameplay than the character potential. The platform fighter genre is just starting to break out with new games that can innovate in areas where Smash is too set in stone to change. Though I may not even get the game due to it being F2P. It's why I haven't tried Brawlhalla.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the bright side, the potential characters being added won't mostly just be glorified skins like for Brawlhalla (which seems to add guests for the sake of whatever it is that interested the developers that day), and the forthcoming open beta will potentially let players inform the devs about any issues that could use ironing out.

Seriously though, can we get playable Bubblegum Princess in this rather than Brawlhalla?

amageish

Smash Master

As it is F2P, I'm not too worried about the base roster size. Like, even if the roster was just the announced characters + a few of the leaked ones, it seems plausible if not likely that they'll have a few characters ready for just after launch - keeping engagement up in the first couple months with a new character every week or two.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Spinel would literal steal the spot of any other Steven Universe rep 😐 I just need Jasper bruh.

I keep forgetting about ThunderCats, I'm interested in them tho. If their modern designs are used, could be amazing. They don't serve as retro picks anymore since ThunderCats 2011. Fred will most likely be the retro pick. But I'd much rather Speed Racer or something.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Spinel would literal steal the spot of any other Steven Universe rep 😐 I just need Jasper bruh.

I keep forgetting about ThunderCats, I'm interested in them tho. If their modern designs are used, could be amazing. They don't serve as retro picks anymore since ThunderCats 2011. Fred will most likely be the retro pick. But I'd much rather Speed Racer or something.
Why can't they both be there? Then we'd have 2 heroes and 2 villains for SU.

And this isn't Smash, so we don't know if they'll be doing the "obscure retro character" pick. (Even though I think it would be great if they did.)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I can see, we already have some of WB's biggest characters and properties, so depending on how this goes (as soon as Mortal Kombat, The Matrix, The Flintstones, Rick & Morty and Lord of the Rings get in, even if Harry Potter doesn't), it'll only get steadily more obscure from here.

For all we know we could even get the SWAT Kats or something.

I would like to see Panthro myself.

Not sure how likely Speed even is, although they could work out something with Tatsunoko and the Wachowskis.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So, here's a fan wish list I've seen on DA:

Pretty solid one overall. Honestly, I wouldn't mind (Two-Ton) 24.

The Warner Siblings would be interesting to implement, since we've never had a true tag-team trio character.
Instead of Starfire, I would add Beast boy from Teen titans. Not only I think he could be more unique, but Beast boy was never in a Injustice games so he would feel even more special.

Top Bottom