• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Cartoon Network deserves another chance and attempt at a Smash-clone game, whether a reboot or sequel to Punch Time Explosion.

This time has other classics like the Eds, Courage, and such along with newer popular characters like Mordecai & Rigby, Finn & Jake and Gumball.

What I'd still kill though to have a Nick vs. CN game...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The one problem with speculation with these games, besides the obvious 3rd parties, is that WB catalogue is so broad there is like no definitive character to hold as the darling of speculation like say someone like Ridley or Geno are for smash.

Which is why half the wishlist is cartoon network characters since most people have the impression this CN Punch Time explosion 2. Although if it were up to me, i would have all the roster from that game be transplanted to multiversus just for funsies.
That would be hilarious for me just for the simple fact that Captain Planet could get to interact with DC heroes for real (also, because the fan project Earth-27 has his series in its universe).

Maybe we should think characters with thematics ties to team work. Finn and Jake was a really obvious to start.

Using that logic, no way we aren't getting Scooby Doo.
OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes has some prime candidates, mainly K.O., Rad and Enid.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that it would be against the spirit of this game if the roster was bloated with CN characters.
I disagree, due to the fact that, at the end of the day, pretty much any animated Warner Bros. characters had their shows air on either Cartoon Network, or the now-defunct Kids WB. Like, even characters that weren't CN originals like Tom and Jerry, the Looney Tunes, DC Comics characters, and the Scooby-Doo gang are, to many people, Cartoon Network characters, due to the fact that their shows constantly ran or even still run on the network. Even The Iron Giant got shown pretty much yearly every Thanksgiving on the channel! And that's not even getting into Adult Swim, which is really just a nightly Cartoon Network block, so we can add Rick and Morty to the list.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to the animation side of Warner Bros, the vast majority of properties are going to be in some way tied to Cartoon Network, and at that point any distinction made just feels like a technicality in the eyes of most. It's all still Warner Bros animation in the end.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I disagree, due to the fact that, at the end of the day, pretty much any animated Warner Bros. characters had their shows air on either Cartoon Network, or the now-defunct Kids WB. Like, even characters that weren't CN originals like Tom and Jerry, the Looney Tunes, DC Comics characters, and the Scooby-Doo gang are, to many people, Cartoon Network characters, due to the fact that their shows constantly ran or even still run on the network. Even The Iron Giant got shown pretty much yearly every Thanksgiving on the channel! And that's not even getting into Adult Swim, which is really just a nightly Cartoon Network block, so we can add Rick and Morty to the list.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to the animation side of Warner Bros, the vast majority of properties are going to be in some way tied to Cartoon Network, and at that point any distinction made just feels like a technicality in the eyes of most. It's all still Warner Bros animation in the end.
It would just make the game feel too much like a sequel to Punch Time Explosion instead of its own unique game. I want this game to be as unique and interesting as possible, and that includes the roster.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It would just make the game feel too much like a sequel to Punch Time Explosion instead of its own unique game. I want this game to be as unique and interesting as possible, and that includes the roster.
I mean...it plays literally nothing like Punch-Time Explosion (as evidenced by the fact that this game is actually functional), so any similarities that exist would be on a superficial level at most.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I made a list of franchise that appear in Space jam 2 and are not confirmed to be in Multiversus. Maybe it can help to see what WB have and we could see in the game. Some of them appear according to leak or datamine:

Casablanca
Clockwork orange
Mad Max
Gremlins
Goonies
Beetlejuice
Animaniacs
The matrix
Wizarding world
Small foot
Yogi Bear
Flinstones
Captain Caveman
Space ghost and Dino Boy
The Jetsons
Wacky races
Jabberjaw
Magilla Gorilla
Peter Potamus
The Herculoids
The mask
Middle Earth
Austin Powers
The Sopranos
It
Thundercats
Wizard of Oz

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I made a list of franchise that appear in Space jam 2 and are not confirmed to be in Multiversus. Maybe it can help to see what WB have and we could see in the game. Some of them appear according to leak or datamine:

Casablanca
Clockwork orange
Mad Max
Gremlins
Goonies
Beetlejuice
Animaniacs
The matrix
Wizarding world
Small foot
Yogi Bear
Flinstones
Captain Caveman
Space ghost and Dino Boy
The Jetsons
Wacky races
Jabberjaw
Magilla Gorilla
Peter Potamus
The Herculoids
The mask
Middle Earth
Austin Powers
The Sopranos
It
Thundercats
Wizard of Oz
In terms of those series Gandalf has bene leaked from the very beginning, Beetlejuice and the Wicked Witch of the West were found in the datamines, and Mad Max and Fred Flintstone were part of the initial rumors about the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Casablanca
Clockwork orange
Mad Max
Gremlins
Goonies
Beetlejuice
Animaniacs
The matrix
Wizarding world
Small foot
Yogi Bear
Flinstones
Captain Caveman
Space ghost and Dino Boy
The Jetsons
Wacky races
Jabberjaw
Magilla Gorilla
Peter Potamus
The Herculoids
The mask
Middle Earth
Austin Powers
The Sopranos
It
Thundercats
Wizard of Oz
Incidentally, earlier I thought about how Jabberjaw could reasonably show up, due to being the most popular of the Scooby-Doo clones.

Also, in terms of properties that technically wasn't a cartoon to start with, The Mask would be fun to have.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Just have the Powerpuff Girls be the equivalent to the TMNT from Injustice. Select your girl and they'll get dedicated interactions and dynamics.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Honestly I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having PPG be made as a stance change character to switch between mid battle. Grounded up special could be the input used and free up down special for more moves

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think that it would be against the spirit of this game if the roster was bloated with CN characters.

I don't see how including more than four characters from only two Cartoon Network shows keeps this from being a unique crossover or turns it into "just a Punch Time Explosion sequel" at all.
This game is going to have nine DC Comics characters in it according to leaks (and that's excluding any we don't know about yet) and that is one single universe. That's more DC characters than Fire Emblem characters in Smash, and I don't hear anyone complaining that this is turning into Injustice but it's a platform fighter.
Cartoon Network is a very broad spectrum of characters from practically hundreds of shows and IPs, and like it's been said before, several of the animated characters already in the game have appeared on the channel because it's the Warner Brothers animation channel.

We're still getting characters from live action, if youre so worried about that. The most recent leak has Ted Lasso for god's sakes. Putting in Johnny Bravo along with him isn't going to subtract from that.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't see how including more than four characters from only two Cartoon Network shows keeps this from being a unique crossover or turns it into "just a Punch Time Explosion sequel" at all.
This game is going to have nine DC Comics characters in it according to leaks (and that's excluding any we don't know about yet) and that is one single universe. That's more DC characters than Fire Emblem characters in Smash, and I don't hear anyone complaining that this is turning into Injustice but it's a platform fighter.
Cartoon Network is a very broad spectrum of characters from practically hundreds of shows and IPs, and like it's been said before, several of the animated characters already in the game have appeared on the channel because it's the Warner Brothers animation channel.

We're still getting characters from live action, if youre so worried about that. The most recent leak has Ted Lasso for god's sakes. Putting in Johnny Bravo along with him isn't going to subtract from that.
Technically it's 5 characters from three shows, as Craig (from Craig of the Creek) was implicated in the datamines, and is notably the only CN character who isn't already revealed who was in the datamines.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Technically it's 5 characters from three shows, as Craig (from Craig of the Creek) was implicated in the datamines, and is notably the only CN character who isn't already revealed who was in the datamines.
the four others were from a leak before the datamine

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I know. I was only counting the four in the Alpha because as far as I'm aware all we have to go off of with Craig is a few voicelines from other characters.

That's only one more character. Everything I said still stands.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just want this game to be seen as its own game and not as an extension of Punch Time Explosion. And as for the leaked characters, until I see them in the datamines I will not buy that it's real.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m not opposed to seeing more CN content, Samurai Jack is one of my most wanted, I just think there’s a bunch of other properties WB has access to that haven’t been spotlighted in a while, let alone in a crossover fighter, that if like to see some focus on
Yeah. We already have PTE for most CN characters (specifically the pre-2010 roster) so I think that this game should spotlight the channel's modern lineup because the classics already had their time to shine in a platform fighter.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
PTE sucks tho. I want some of PTE's chars in a good platform fighter.

Not only that, but there were a couple of Classic CN chars that weren't in PTE, like Courage or the Eds.
The Eds will most likely never be in a fighting game because Danny Antonucci (the show creator) have a unique contract and he co-own the show, so he has the say in everything CN and WB can do with the show. This is why the Eds never appear in crossover except once they cameo in a crossover episode called "The Grim adventure of Kids nex door"

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
The Eds will most likely never be in a fighting game because Danny Antonucci (the show creator) have a unique contract and he co-own the show, so he has the say in everything CN and WB can do with the show. This is why the Eds never appear in crossover except once they cameo in a crossover episode called "The Grim adventure of Kids nex door"
Edd also made a cameo in the OK KO episode Crossover Nexus, and all 3 of them appear in a couple of bumpers, both old and new. I don't think it'll be too hard to get the Eds.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
As far as the Eds go, that's another one where I'd prefer them to be separate but I'd imagine the possibility of them being an all in one is there, however that would work.

If we're only allowed one though, I'd say Ed is the obvious choice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is priceless.

(For context, there are some lines in the game implying that Finn has a crush on Garnet, so Quartey simply ran with it.)

As far as the Eds go, that's another one where I'd prefer them to be separate but I'd imagine the possibility of them being an all in one is there, however that would work.

If we're only allowed one though, I'd say Ed is the obvious choice.
If their VAs are still with Ocean Productions (based in Canada), there would need to be some work done to contact them.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If their VAs are still with Ocean Productions (based in Canada), there would need to be some work done to contact them.
I do wonder if they even could do the voices again. It's been 13 years since the last Eds media (the movie). They all getting pretty old, especially Ed voice (Matt Hill) who's now 54. Also Edd voice actors (Tony Sampson) has stop doing voice acting after the Eds movie 13 years ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do wonder if they even could do the voices again. It's been 13 years since the last Eds media (the movie). They all getting pretty old, especially Ed voice (Matt Hill) who's now 54. Also Edd voice actors (Tony Sampson) has stop doing voice acting after the Eds movie 13 years ago.
Any active veteran VAs can step into their older roles like a worn, comfortable pair of shoes if they're still healthy enough to do it.

Not to mention that briefly stepping out of retirement to do a specific character occasionally happens (case in point, Joshua Seth coming back for Digimon Adventure Tri's dub).

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The Ed’s ain’t getting in lmao. Or at least at this point in time. I mean, Playstyle wise they would be a more tame version of the Warners, who would be an infinitely better character choice imo. You never know, but I feel like with the leaked WB Water Tower Stage, they would be a much better fit early on, especially with Tom and Bugs already on the Roster.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Tony Sampson did Eddy, and he retired from acting to do oil mining, of all things. I think he's a musician now.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
What about Eddy?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While it is true that Antonucci seemingly has veto rights, they have appeared in other crossover material beyond The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door.

Namely, they appear in numerous CN City bumpers, appeared in the Cartoon Network Racing GBA game (alongside Jonny 2x4, no less), appeared in Fusion Fall, and appeared as a cameo in the pilot movie for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. There was also Double D cameoing in OK KO, as was mentioned previously.

Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if the reason he vetoed Punch Time Explosion was because...well, he likely saw the game, lol. A passion project with love and money behind it would likely be more enticing than literal shovelware.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Still think the Warners work better, but Double D could be interesting considering them being portrayed as the weakest character in the show consistently would make them a perfect Experimental Character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still think the Warners work better, but Double D could be interesting considering them being portrayed as the weakest character in the show consistently would make them a perfect Experimental Character.
I mean I don't really see why the Eds and the Warners couldn't coexist. Especially if the Eds come standalone.

In my eyes the Warners would likely take after Bugs and be a Mage/Ranged character, while Ed, for example, would be a Tank.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mean I don't really see why the Eds and the Warners couldn't coexist. Especially if the Eds come standalone.

In my eyes the Warners would likely take after Bugs and be a Mage/Ranged character, while Ed, for example, would be a Tank.
True. I just feel like if one should get in first, it should be the Warners considering the leaks.

Top Bottom