• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, in my personal ranking (not based on any tier lists or outside influences) G&W is #2. In an actual tier list, I think the best he'd be able to do is right in the middle of the roster. He'd likely be either very center of the tier list or lower.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Hi. I've been using G&W lately and wonder what I should practice to be better? How to properly combo and stuff. I also posted a video in the vid thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/lcd-...ideo-users-thread.369089/page-3#post-20382585

Where would you G&W mains rank him?
I don't main G&W, but I fight with Furret24 Furret24 (A dedicated G&W main for 6 years) at least once every few days, so I think I have some credibility here. I believe G&W is bottom 10 at best. He has some pretty good strengths:
-High damage output
-Powerful smashes
-Good recovery
-Good combos
-Great reward from grab
-Low end lag

However, not one of those outweigh his crippling weaknesses:
-High startup on most moves
-Huge and weak sourspots on side and down smash
-Very light
-Low survivability
-Crummy grab range

But these are just my two cents.
:4lucas:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't main G&W, but I fight with Furret24 Furret24 (A dedicated G&W main for 6 years) at least once every few days, so I think I have some credibility here. I believe G&W is bottom 10 at best. He has some pretty good strengths:
-High damage output
-Powerful smashes
-Good recovery
-Good combos
-Great reward from grab
-Low end lag

However, not one of those outweigh his crippling weaknesses:
-High startup on most moves
-Huge and weak sourspots on side and down smash
-Very light
-Low survivability
-Crummy grab range

But these are just my two cents.
:4lucas:
I think he's better than that in the hands of the right player. Ya he's got weaknesses, but when I play as G&W, I rarely lose against human players (of course I never lose against CPUs). However, I'm sure there are quite a few players that could make my G&W look like absolute trash. But again, I don't think G&W is absolutely horrible. He's got a few strengths that, when in the hands of the right player, could be put to pretty great use.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I think he's better than that in the hands of the right player. Ya he's got weaknesses, but when I play as G&W, I rarely lose against human players (of course I never lose against CPUs). However, I'm sure there are quite a few players that could make my G&W look like absolute trash. But again, I don't think G&W is absolutely horrible. He's got a few strengths that, when in the hands of the right player, could be put to pretty great use.
I still consider him decent (As a good chunk of the are, so he's are 44-47 including Miis types as seperate fighters).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I still consider him decent (As a good chunk of the are, so he's are 44-47 including Miis types as seperate fighters).
I know and I'll respect your opinion, but for me, G&W can do better than bottom 10. Let's see, we have...55 characters total, including each Mii type as a different fighter and including DLC. At the very best (and this is still stretching it a bit, even for myself) G&W could be low 30's (low meaning 31-34, 33 being the absolute best G&W could go).

Then again, I'm not too into the competitive stuff, so I may not be taking all factors into account. I'm just saying, if I were to create an official tier list with none of my own bias, that's probably the best he could get to.

Furret24

Smash Master
I think Game and Watch being bottom 10 is a stretch, but so is low 30's. His matchup spread is too good to be bottom 10 (there aren't many where he's at a big disadvantage) though he still has major flaws that hold him back severely.
Is this where I have my video critiqued?
vs Mega Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkLlBP3j5s
I started playing around with G&W again and am getting better but never had official training. Any critiques/advice is welcomed :) Thanks.
From what I saw, you had a bit of an overreliance on dash attack in the beginning. You also missed a lot of potential punishes on Megaman (he whiffed two utilts) and didn't go for many grabs.

Furret24

Smash Master
Happy Halloween guys. :)

Try to forget the fact that this is a double post. :/

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Found out something awsome you can eat the apple in midair haha anyone else know that?????

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
To my knowledge you've always been able to eat food in mid-air...

Last edited:

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I got 17th of 103 at New England's regional (GUMS4) this last Saturday. I played really well, and I was dunking pretty strongly in doubles with my crewmate Kuma (@kuma-b4 )- He's #1 in NH and I'm #2, and we managed to get Top 8 in doubles which is good since we haven't really teamed much before.

The only issue Saturday was that I was seeded poorly, and I ended up playing the player who placed 3rd very early in Winner's Bracket, and I had to fight Kuma who got 4th place not much longer after. Despite this, I played strongly and I am excited to show what I can do when I hit up some out of region tournaments down the line.

I'll try and do you all proud <3

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
congrats! a NE crew came down to NJ this past weekend for KTAR XIV, hope to see you around here soon. KTAR XV is around the corner on 12/5 ;)

EDIT: OH and share any VODs of your playing from the tournament!

Last edited:

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
congrats! a NE crew came down to NJ this past weekend for KTAR XIV, hope to see you around here soon. KTAR XV is around the corner on 12/5 ;)

EDIT: OH and share any VODs of your playing from the tournament!
I was hoping to go to KTAR XV actually! You might see me there, which would be really cool.

I don't have anything videos from GUMS4 because they didn't put me on stream. It sucks because I showed really well. Hopefully next time!

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
So guys
Does anyone know if Songun/Regi are going to Genesis 3?
Hopefully we can see some footage, and with the hope of result, stop being depressed about how our character is. ( no offense )

Folie

Smash Apprentice
So guys
Does anyone know if Songun/Regi are going to Genesis 3?
Hopefully we can see some footage, and with the hope of result, stop being depressed about how our character is. ( no offense )
I know Regi is, idk about Songun (tho from what I've heard he's switched to Sheik? idk). Vader, another good G&W is going as well and has the potential to make some upsets. As far as being depressed go, that's mostly just people on this board who don't really know what they're talking about (and reddit, but idk why the hell you'd ever listen to anything reddit says about viability). As a whole we're all pretty optimistic (but still grounded) about our character.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just curious, what would you say your characters strengths and weaknesses are, where he falls on the tier list, and the types of characters he loses to are? Last time I checked he was widely considered a bottom 10 character, but its been a really long time since I last checked and I've been hearing varied opinions about him lately.

Also maybe what you think of the :4megaman: matchup? I don't find it problematic exactly, but it does feel weird when you get an easy bucket off lemons and you seem almost impossible to edgeguard.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
I'll try and do a quick write up of my opinion.

His strengths are his throw combos, lingering disjoints, use of aerials/dash attack/usmash, etc to vortex opponents above him, great offstage game and great recovery

His main weaknesses are the he's forced to be an aggressive character because of his lack of fast defensive options and good projectile, and his lack of kill confirms combined with being susceptible to dying very early from rage or strong moves in general.

The general opinion of tourney-goers is the he's mid/low-mid, most relatively succesful G&W mains put him at mid/high-mid. Personally I'd put him at mid, mostly because of his abysmally bad MUs against some top 10 characters. I'm kind of a scrub tho.

The main characters he loses to are the ones who can easily exploit his inherently aggressive playstyle and lack of fast options, especially ones with fast, effective oos options (sheik, fox, diddy, sonic)

Sounds like you have the general idea of his Megaman MU. Bucket, while not being massively strong when filled with lemons, can be an effective deterrent to lemon spamming and none of Megaman's other moves are particularly troubling in neutral. Gimping G&W is p hard and Megaman's recovery is vulnerable to runoff bair/dair. I don't have much experience vs megaman but i assume usmash and dsmash punishes are effective against G&W. MU's probably slightly in G&W's favour.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been using G&W a bit. The Ganon MU gave me a ton of trouble. I couldn't figure out how to get in. How should I play it? Also sword zoners in general like Marth are a pain to fight.

What are G&W's combos and throw combos?

Furret24

Smash Master
I've been using G&W a bit. The Ganon MU gave me a ton of trouble. I couldn't figure out how to get in. How should I play it? Also sword zoners in general like Marth are a pain to fight.

What are G&W's combos and throw combos?
I can't help much, but I would like to point out an easy combo on Ganon that kills him early.

Bair -> Bair -> Fire is easy to do, just be careful of Ganoncide. You can setup into it via a dthrow or dtilt. It makes the MU much easier for me. :)

D

Deleted member

I can't help much, but I would like to point out an easy combo on Ganon that kills him early.

Bair -> Bair -> Fire is easy to do, just be careful of Ganoncide. You can setup into it via a dthrow or dtilt. It makes the MU much easier for me. :)
I'm definitely keeping this in mind. I've always had trouble against Ganon as G-dubs but I'll try this out more.

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm definitely keeping this in mind. I've always had trouble against Ganon as G-dubs but I'll try this out more.
I do too (I've died to fsmash at 50% more than once), but this combo will help deal with him better, or atleast it helped me.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Hey real quick is it common knowledge that GW can bair while holding an item?? I was holding peaches turnip and while I was floating after up b I was able to use back air instead of throwing the item

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Does the melee (no parachute) Up-B custom have a hitbox out as fast as default? Wanna know if it's just as good as a reversal/OOS/etc.

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
Hey real quick is it common knowledge that GW can bair while holding an item?? I was holding peaches turnip and while I was floating after up b I was able to use back air instead of throwing the item
you can use any aerial while in your parachute, you won't throw any item while in your parachute.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
Does the melee (no parachute) Up-B custom have a hitbox out as fast as default? Wanna know if it's just as good as a reversal/OOS/etc.
frame data here (kurogane's data doesn't include customs): http://smashboards.com/threads/mr-frame-data-frame-data-information-ko.383626/

it's slower, while the other (heavy trampoline) is a bit faster in terms of hitboxes. Both aren't worth taking imo, the default's gimping ability is too good and you either sacrifice horizontal or vertical recovery ability on one of the best recoveries in the game by taking a custom.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
GUYS I MADE IT TO NUMBER 1OF OMNIS TOP 5SHORTS!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOK!!!!! :D

https://youtu.be/kGIsBXwYnRc
While I hope that one of these days a Smash Short of Game & Watch will make it in that doesn't have Judge 9, I have to admit that this made me smile. The Random Number God favored you there. Judge is a move that you just have to feel when to use and its payoff is incredible. I remember a Judge 8 to 8 to 9 combo I got once, made me laugh.

Furret24

Smash Master
While I hope that one of these days a Smash Short of Game & Watch will make it in that doesn't have Judge 9, I have to admit that this made me smile. The Random Number God favored you there. Judge is a move that you just have to feel when to use and its payoff is incredible. I remember a Judge 8 to 8 to 9 combo I got once, made me laugh.
It's a shame that the only thing most people see when they look at Game and Watch is 9 (and Bucket, but not to the same extent). There's more to him than that.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Maybe by going around in FG as G&W:
I might be able to pull a combo based around Nair Cancel, rack up about enough % , then dthrow fair, and get a dair read.
That'd be already cleaner, don't you think so?
Anyway, it's not like Smash Shorts are a thing to care about, they are like combo videos: A showcase of things you could do with your character at a tournament, but it won't happen because your opponent most likely has enough skill to know such basic things as DI & Mixups when you're in disadvantage state.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Does it look like G&W is the only character able to do this?
Hmm maybe chars with fast up specials that are powerful like doc, Lucina marth, ryu, IDK though this is like 1 in a 100 games I actually play a zss that can do this combo in the first place

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hmm maybe chars with fast up specials that are powerful like doc, Lucina marth, ryu, IDK though this is like 1 in a 100 games I actually play a zss that can do this combo in the first place
That's true. We had this Ryu super damage this Ness at Umebura 20 just for being caught in PK Fire.

(At the exact beginning)

http://oddshot.tv/shot/shi-gaming-201512277303982

Looks like he can pull that off too.

Top Bottom