• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Pretty much we want justified reward for good fundamentals (spacing, mixing up, reading). Most of the other characters who struggle to kill (Sheik, Pika, etc.) at least have safety built into their toolkits. We don't really have that.

Furret24

Smash Master
Pretty much we want justified reward for good fundamentals (spacing, mixing up, reading). Most of the other characters who struggle to kill (Sheik, Pika, etc.) at least have safety built into their toolkits. We don't really have that.
True. Killing is my biggest gripe with Game and Watch. Which is funny, because he's supposed to be a glass cannon.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
wishlist:
- why dtilt more punishable than our smashes. change that
- for god's sake why does the first hit of uair have KBG. change that
- killthrow pls
- change utilt back to original
- why do we have to sweetspot fsmash for it to be a good move. change that. make it linger a bit i guess? idk i never played brawl
- why doesn't dtilt hit opponents in the air offstage with the actual hitbox and not the windbox. change that
- maybe give fair more kill power

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Missed a notification here I guess. But now I'm back. What'd I miss?

Furret24

Smash Master
Missed a notification here I guess. But now I'm back. What'd I miss?
I gave this thread a bump, asking everyone here what they thought of the new update coming on September 30. We ended up talking about changes we want to see Game and Watch get in patch that surely to follow. Participate if you so desire.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I really can't say too much since I don't pay too much attention to frame data, hitboxes, etc., but I know that we need a down air improvement. I'd also like a buff with the Torch's sour spot.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can't believe I haven't shown this yet...
image.jpg

Being the character he is, G&W was the easiest of my drawings so far. Enjoy.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I mean you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head. But what do you think would benefit us most? (within reason of course)

-Set knockback on U-Air1. It would be akin to the HOO HAH. Except we actually have to work to get the grab

-Kill throw. I'm not asking for Ness's B-throw, but is it too much to ask that a throw towards the blastzone on the edge of the stage kill under 200%? Even if it was closer to 120%-130%, it'd give us such good zone control.

- FIX. THE. SOURSPOTS. I had a crowd literally WTF outloud today when a fully charged down-smash sour spotted on a Falcon at 135% and he recovered no problem. F-smash's is pretty bad too, but I'd prefer the hitbox to just actually connect to G&W to begin with. So many characters get this stupid "from-behind" hitbox on their f-smashes and ours wont even hit if you're pushing against our faces.

-Stronger fair, less landing lag on dair. We all know how embarrassingly weak our Fair is compared to some other characters' single hit aerials. Dair isn't strong either, but it should at least be speedy.

And an honorary mention: LET US BUCKET FLASHING MECHAKOOPAS AND DHD CANS. WTF SAKURAI. THEY ARE LITERALLY BOMBS.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I mean you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head. But what do you think would benefit us most? (within reason of course)

-Set knockback on U-Air1. It would be akin to the HOO HAH. Except we actually have to work to get the grab

-Kill throw. I'm not asking for Ness's B-throw, but is it too much to ask that a throw towards the blastzone on the edge of the stage kill under 200%? Even if it was closer to 120%-130%, it'd give us such good zone control.

- FIX. THE. SOURSPOTS. I had a crowd literally WTF outloud today when a fully charged down-smash sour spotted on a Falcon at 135% and he recovered no problem. F-smash's is pretty bad too, but I'd prefer the hitbox to just actually connect to G&W to begin with. So many characters get this stupid "from-behind" hitbox on their f-smashes and ours wont even hit if you're pushing against our faces.

-Stronger fair, less landing lag on dair. We all know how embarrassingly weak our Fair is compared to some other characters' single hit aerials. Dair isn't strong either, but it should at least be speedy.

And an honorary mention: LET US BUCKET FLASHING MECHAKOOPAS AND DHD CANS. WTF SAKURAI. THEY ARE LITERALLY BOMBS.
Killing F-air is my most wanted buff. N-air and B-air have just as much kill power, which shouldn't be a thing.

Interestingly, I actually made a kill with N-Air at 150% with a lot of rage a while back. Pretty strange.

Furret24

Smash Master
https://youtu.be/dU4Kv_SS4LQ

A little after 35 seconds in, is that the sliding chef someone was mentioning somewhere? Because that little bit of distance definitely made the difference on that kill, It'd be very nice if we could figure out what causes it
As a question to build on this, when I got Sliding Chef to work, I barley went anywhere. Yet here, you going almost 2 Game and Watches. If we learn how to get the glitch to work, we should figure out how to manipulate how far you slide.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
we should also figure out if there's any way to stop Chef soon enough that we can use a move during the slide, otherwise it's gonna be really situational and mostly useless tech

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I don't think that its situational, I just think it doesn't do much for us to begin with. But us G&Ws really have to grasp at all the straws we can.

On another note, is there anyone who could put together a video showcasing all of G&W's garbage, kind of like the samus one from a couple weeks ago? Watching that video, I was able to make direct comparisons almost the whole way through.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
it wouldn't be as effective, bc g&w isn't nearly as bad as Samus and the bad things aren't as obvious. the only things you could really showcase without explanation is our throws never killing ever, fair being weak af and dying super early. and uairs wiffs i guess maybe. G&W's problems are a lot more subtle than Samus's, and not as bad in general

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
You play those off like they're not that important. Samus and G&W both have equally worthless kill potential with throws. U-air not connecting is just as devastating as Samus's up-smash not connecting. A montage of G&W dying sub 70% to a handful of characters. I think that alone speaks volumes. Add in how awful sourspot d-smash is, how f-smash will just miss if the opponent is too close, u-tilt won't connect on most characters, our laughable grab range... I also think it'd be pretty easy to show off how unsafe on shield every move is.

Plus, thanks to G&W's animation style, I think his shortcomings would be easily illustrated to a viewer.

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
Alright so I'm bad and am absolutely lost on what to do in the Link and Toon Link match ups. Between Link's reach and the mobility of TL and not being able to get in his space effectively, I'm having a hard time figuring them out. Anyone have any tips?

Folie

Smash Apprentice
You play those off like they're not that important. Samus and G&W both have equally worthless kill potential with throws. U-air not connecting is just as devastating as Samus's up-smash not connecting. A montage of G&W dying sub 70% to a handful of characters. I think that alone speaks volumes. Add in how awful sourspot d-smash is, how f-smash will just miss if the opponent is too close, u-tilt won't connect on most characters, our laughable grab range... I also think it'd be pretty easy to show off how unsafe on shield every move is.

Plus, thanks to G&W's animation style, I think his shortcomings would be easily illustrated to a viewer.
hm yeah maybe it'd be easier than I thought. I mean, we're obviously not nearly as bad as Samus, our MU spread is p decent for a a character a lot of people consider low tier, but there are definitely some dumb things that don't make sense in any design, especially uair not connecting on 2nd hit. why is there KBG on the first hit? seriously.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
forgot to multiquote my b

Alright so I'm bad and am absolutely lost on what to do in the Link and Toon Link match ups. Between Link's reach and the mobility of TL and not being able to get in his space effectively, I'm having a hard time figuring them out. Anyone have any tips?
both MUs are generally considered even (though we might have more of an edge on TL since he relies on bombs more, but idk i feel like he can punish bucket p bad), you have to be good at powershielding while approaching, and then you want to get in their face and bait out a panic option (link's tilts/jab, TL grab, etc) and punish from there, and that's the general idea I'd go by. I've never really fought a good TL or Link tho tbh so it's mostly just theorycrafting from me

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

G&W hype!!! Just something I found on YouTube. Enjoy.

P.S.: Let's try not criticizing this video, like we've been criticizing everything else about G&W.

Furret24

Smash Master

G&W hype!!! Just something I found on YouTube. Enjoy.

P.S.: Let's try not criticizing this video, like we've been criticizing everything else about G&W.
"Showing the same thing over and over again but with different characters isnt really interesting.. Or hype." -Testcat

On the flip side, I never knew you could Up Tilt into Down Smash at low percents on fast fallers. Pretty neat.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
128 at Big house. Not thrilled about it but when MVD is in losers you kinda don't stand a chance, haha. Shout out to Citi, if you visit here, taught me some things I didn't know.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but "anyone on Michigan's PR?" That's laughable
Also, GIMR lost a MM to a MI player not even in PR. In case anyone remembers this.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
128 at Big house. Not thrilled about it but when MVD is in losers you kinda don't stand a chance, haha. Shout out to Citi, if you visit here, taught me some things I didn't know.

Also, GIMR lost a MM to a MI player not even in PR. In case anyone remembers this.
I ain't qualified to talk about this in the least but GimR's gameplay hardly seems optimized to me. That said, he has probably gotten more results than most other Game & Watch players, but AFAIK hasn't done as well lately (could be wrong here, haven't kept up with results). We need to start utilizing B-reverses more, particularly with Chef, as well as learning more uses for platforms and autocancel heights, IMO.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
"particularly with chef"

Is there another special even worth reversing? I mean judge kiiiinda does but not really. Either way I do plenty of edgeguarding with chef, spaced almost entirely by reversing it, especially after following a string.

I think something worth visiting is up-b gimping. Do it enough and you can condition predictable air dodges out of your opponent

Also I'm thinking this patch is really just going to either do nothing notable or hurt us. Our frame data is so garbage that even with shield stun it doesn't really help. Still not sure if jab to grab on shield is a thing.

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
imo b-reverse chef has too much endlag and the angle has is too inconvenient truly propel us any notable distance in the metagame. In neutral it's only really good at harassing bad characters that we didn't need chef to beat anyways and good characters have no problem punishing it. In friendlies with other G&W mains we've tried to make use of it but we would rarely get anything out of that worth making a fuss over.

As far as edgeguarding goes, it's an option, but it's a very situational option. A lot of situations in which you could use it, you're probably better off using bair or runoff dair. Useful, but not useful enough to be a gamechanger imo.

curious, does the new shield stun in the newest patch benefit benefit G&W ?
p much what JKBUK said, most of our moves are too laggy and dont hit hard enough to really capitalize off of it, especially against characters with good, fast oos options. we have a couple new tricks, mainly uair>jab>sometimes grab, but that's about as far as it goes for helping us. Defensively it doesn't help since our oos shield options aren't great.

I think something worth visiting is up-b gimping. Do it enough and you can condition predictable air dodges out of your opponent
It's more or less already a p big part of our (really good) offstage game, not much more to explore about it.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
curious, does the new shield stun in the newest patch benefit benefit G&W ?
No, he by and large suffers for it. Fair is literally too strong to benefit because it bypasses shield lock frames, and back air / down air safety hasn't significantly changed. Meanwhile, characters with safe aerials with generous landing lag are by and large benefitted.

Namely, Sheik, and to a lesser degree, characters which were already high tier. Which no one wants to talk about, but whatever, let's have Reddit's circlejerking on shield stun creep onto Smashboards as well.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
"particularly with chef"

Is there another special even worth reversing? I mean judge kiiiinda does but not really. Either way I do plenty of edgeguarding with chef, spaced almost entirely by reversing it, especially after following a string.
Fair enough, lol. Yeah, AFAIK Judge is our only other B-Reversable special and you could get some good surprise attacks from it and hope for a 9, especially off platforms/ledges (run off then B-reverse it). Chef has notable edgeguarding potential, trapping shields/pressuring options, and can cause problems for larger characters with getting up from the ledge. I speak from being on the receiving end of the last one, but I'm not sure if some of my troubles with it stem from Wi-Fi lag.

Anyway, I like your comment about using it after a string. I remember another member mentioning that, as a way to maintain pressure. I mean, we incur landing lag 95% of the time anyway, might as well through out a lingering projectile that can set up for more hits.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
finally got my G&W Amiibo, I am mainly displaying the mighty 9 on the stand!

btw, I havn't played G-dubs since patch 1.1.1 came out, but his smash attacks feel stronger.... I even compared the kill % from the thread to my own findings (training mode, mario, FD) and my results were almost always 10% earlier than the killpercentage shown in the metagame thread

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
finally got my G&W Amiibo, I am mainly displaying the mighty 9 on the stand!

btw, I havn't played G-dubs since patch 1.1.1 came out, but his smash attacks feel stronger.... I even compared the kill % from the thread to my own findings (training mode, mario, FD) and my results were almost always 10% earlier than the killpercentage shown in the metagame thread
placebo, we've already tested kill percents from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm going to display G&W's official artwork when I get his Amiibo, and the other 3 poses will be set up near him. Alas, I probably won't be getting any Amiibo until Christmas, but I may be able to get enough money beforehand for a Ness or Greninja Amiibo. Finding Villager will be pretty tough, and I'll get the Retro 3-Pack for G&W, but order the Famicom colored R.O.B. and display both versions next to each other. The Duck Hunt Amiibo will be a nice bonus, and I am actually pretty good with him.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I currently have 5 G&W amiibo. One unopened, haha
nice! I assume you display each pose? Pretty awesome!

btw, Mine still sports the Nine-Hammer in lieu of his in-game name:" CptnHammer!"

Corporate Tool..

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Not that derail this thread but I was thinking of a new taunt for gw
Mr game and watch pulls out a hammer that has a 0 on it lol he judges your performance and gives you the lowest score possible haha and it makes a ugly 'buurrrrrt' sound
What do you guys think?

Furret24

Smash Master
Not that derail this thread but I was thinking of a new taunt for gw
Mr game and watch pulls out a hammer that has a 0 on it lol he judges your performance and gives you the lowest score possible haha and it makes a ugly 'buurrrrrt' sound
What do you guys think?
I'd prefer one where he interacts with his turtle, kind of like how Lucas has a short conversation with Rope Snake as one of his taunts.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Where does he keep the turtle??!!?!?! ......:o
In his empty cake box. It used to have a cake in it, but Kirby ate it at some point or another, which is why the move is so weak and not-so-laggy in 4.

Being logical, probably hammerspace.

Top Bottom