• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so it as thinking about better combos on fast fallers and I found that up throw, up air, up B, then sweet spot fair gets 41% which is better than downthrow to jab(11%) or ftilt (14%), but anyway the problem is they can Just barely get out of it before the up air hits, what do you guys think? I hope they will buff up throw into a good combo move because our combo options are limited on fast fallers,

EDIT: just found up throw, up B to fair does 25 not sure if they can get out of it or not

Did this on a CPU in training so no DI I believe I landed this online once anyway Just throwing out hopes and dreams

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Hey guys so it as thinking about better combos on fast fallers and I found that up throw, up air, up B, then sweet spot fair gets 41% which is better than downthrow to jab(11%) or ftilt (14%), but anyway the problem is they can Just barely get out of it before the up air hits, what do you guys think? I hope they will buff up throw into a good combo move because our combo options are limited on fast fallers,

EDIT: just found up throw, up B to fair does 25 not sure if they can get out of it or not

Did this on a CPU in training so no DI I believe I landed this online once anyway Just throwing out hopes and dreams
Uthrow > Up B > fair is escapable. I actually looked into this string myself months ago, but nothing extensive. They can DI up throw in either direction to avoid Up B or, if they get hit by Up B, vector/DI away to avoid the fair.

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Idk, I feel like thats an unnecessary mix up. That definitely wouldn't work at higher percents, and when it would be viable it seems d-throw --> nair / uair would just be better.

On the subject of fair though, what do you guys use to follow up weak fairs? I generally end up with a hurried dash attack to guarantee some extra damage, but I'm curious if anyone has found something useful.

Its really too bad our grab range is so small, weak fair to grab would be so cool.

Furret24

Smash Master
Idk, I feel like thats an unnecessary mix up. That definitely wouldn't work at higher percents, and when it would be viable it seems d-throw --> nair / uair would just be better.

On the subject of fair though, what do you guys use to follow up weak fairs? I generally end up with a hurried dash attack to guarantee some extra damage, but I'm curious if anyone has found something useful.

Its really too bad our grab range is so small, weak fair to grab would be so cool.
At lower percents, I like following up with either jab or down tilt, depending on the situation. At higher percents, dash attack is usually the way to go.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I've been trying to get into G&W lately, but I had a question. Is utilt really the best follow up from a dthrow at 0%? The damage seems kind of lame compared to his other combos at mid percents. Is judgment better than utilt?

Also two observations: this board is dang inactive and this board is almost as negative as the Samus boards. Lol.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to get into G&W lately, but I had a question. Is utilt really the best follow up from a dthrow at 0%? The damage seems kind of lame compared to his other combos at mid percents. Is judgment better than utilt?

Also two observations: this board is dang inactive and this board is almost as negative as the Samus boards. Lol.
It depends on the character fast fallers and certain others won't be hit by both hits of uptilt which does 14 with both hits, against jiggs you can Nair at 0%, for some reason king DDD can't be hit with both even though he's gigantic but anyway after uptilt you can jump into Nair and so

Furret24

Smash Master

Down Throw to Up Smash works on heavies, but most characters will be able to break out of the combo.
Down Throw to Up Tilt is your best option. It works on every character and if you only land the first hit, it combos into Neutral Air.
Down Throw to Judge is pretty unreliable, so only use it if you feel lucky.

Also yes, it's pretty desolate here. It gets lonely here. Some of us are pretty pessimistic too, notably JustKindaBoredUKnow. If you have any other questions, ask away.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
U-tilt used to be better, but Sakurai figured we couldn't have one half as good as Mario's.

Nair is usually a safe bet, but as has been stated you can fit a u-tilt in between them in some match ups at lower percents.

Also G&W < Samus.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I was thinking about playing some more For Glory in order to get better at Final Destination with G&W, but after turning into a salt shaker I'm starting to question if it's worth it. That, and FG has more rolls than a bakery.
U-tilt used to be better, but Sakurai figured we couldn't have one half as good as Mario's.
I know Link's Usmash got better so now you'll always get hit with the last strike. Maybe we could do with something similar to G&W's Utilt, or perhaps just give it bigger hitboxes.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Yo, i labbed around Nair & found out that you could do a semi chain grab with your Nair.
I'd advice you to test it on Duck Hunt, at 10%.
You want to DownThrow to SH FF Nair, while slighty getting away of Duck Hunt, if you did it correctly, the last hit will not connect & Duck Hunt will be directly in front of you, leading into a regrab. I'd advice doing it twice and finish off with another grab combo of your choice, the damage is pretty consistent , reaching around 60% for 2 Dthrow nairs to dthrow nair parachute.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OK I know ultilts hit box sucks but has anyone noticed the massive priority it has? It snuffs out almost every attack! Ive only seen it clank like twice! If Kirby approaches you with down air uptilt wins, you can beat yoshis down B and I think bowsers downB too

Also down throw to uptilt doesn't work on fast fallers at 0% or even a falcon that Di's down he can shield it

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
hello game & watchers!
I am considering picking the 2D man up, but I struggle at approaching. Usually i go for full hop nairs and fairs, sometimes throwing out some food, weaving in and out, but that sort of thing fails against characters like Link or Mac.

Any tips for a fellow Flatzoner?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
hello game & watchers!
I am considering picking the 2D man up, but I struggle at approaching. Usually i go for full hop nairs and fairs, sometimes throwing out some food, weaving in and out, but that sort of thing fails against characters like Link or Mac.

Any tips for a fellow Flatzoner?
Welcome!

I'm not too much on the competitive side, but I'll try to help you out a bit. Basically, against Little Mac, you don't really need to approach him. You can literally just sit there and wait for him to come to you, then grab him, throw him off stage, and use either the Turtle or Box, depending on which way you're facing of course. The knock back should make it so he can't recover (when can he ever?).

Against Link, I dunno. But I'll try to give you some general tips (though you may already know them). Turtle, from what I've seen, is one of his best aerials. I'm usually able to string two or three of them before landing from two full hops. Apart from that, Down Throw is a great set up for many combos, just read this page! And lastly, I've been able to escape some combos, damage the opponent, and lift the opponent off screen (haven't killed anyone yet) by using Fire in the middle of their combo. I can always get out of Ness' PK Fire to Down Throw to double Forward Air by doing so.

Hope this helps!

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
What I pretty much do vs. LM and Link

Little Mac: Respect his damn ground game, our priorities don't mean anything when he has super armor smashes. Stay around him and be mindful. Don't get caught off guard with random pivot ftilts or even smashes. Landing with him on the ground is tough, so I tend to ledge reset. I don't know much else, just remember how chaotic he can be all of a sudden.

Link: Crouch under full charge arrows (probably never gonna happen). Powershield, powershield, and powershield. Don't take the bucketing his bomb bait. Be mindful of his jab. You screw up, he jabs you, reset the damn situation.

Yes, these aren't full gameplans. This is all I know. Hope it helps.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Thanks! This was actually pretty helpful.

Especially the fact that I can escape combos by using Fire and to avoid the bomb-baiting. Thanks a lot!

Furret24

Smash Master
OK I know ultilts hit box sucks but has anyone noticed the massive priority it has? It snuffs out almost every attack! Ive only seen it clank like twice! If Kirby approaches you with down air uptilt wins, you can beat yoshis down B and I think bowsers downB too

Also down throw to uptilt doesn't work on fast fallers at 0% or even a falcon that Di's down he can shield it
If you can't land U-Tilt, use either Jab or D-tilt.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
If you get little mac offstage you can down tilt and the wind box will float him in the air(both his side B and his up B) making him miss the ledge, you can then read his air movment and punish with a smash,

Example, if little mac uses up B and you down tilt, he will be sent straight into the air and then he has 2 options,

he can try to drift back toward the middle of the stage
OR He will try to go for the ledge again
If he goes for the stage you can slowly walk and read his air movement for an up smash, if he goes for the ledge you can charge an f smash and it will probly kill that close to the edge (needs good timing tho) hope that helps!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks! This was actually pretty helpful.

Especially the fact that I can escape combos by using Fire and to avoid the bomb-baiting. Thanks a lot!
Ya, no problem.

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys, we beat Pac-Man in last week's conquest. Congrats if you supported him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We did??? Sweet! Wonder what reward I'll get for supporting him...

deleted

Smash Cadet
Hey um what percent does bair kill cuz i noticed when you land its pssible to do 12 % damage if timed right and was wondering if theirs any benefit in landing it

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey um what percent does bair kill cuz i noticed when you land its pssible to do 12 % damage if timed right and was wondering if theirs any benefit in landing it
It's very hard to do, but if you can land all four aerial hits, then the ground hit, you do 12% (huzzah). Outside of the extra 3%, it's mostly useless due to it's angle not allowing combos while not being strong enough to KO either.

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
The benefit is that you get 3% more damage when getting the landing hit. Bair doesn't kill early enough for you to not use another option like fair, uair, or dair while airborne. The landing hitbox also sends them diagonally upwards away from you so take that as you will because in a given situation it can be beneficial or detrimental depending on what you want to do next. It's usually not going to be helpful to you though.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
bair in neutral can kill lighter characters at ~160%+ with poor DI and that's about it. Aside from that it shouldn't really ever be considered a kill move unless used offstage.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Except without fullbody invincibility, a lot of moves just trump the invincibility. A move large enough to envelope all of G&W (like Ike's fair) breaks it no problem. Then there's also certain moves like Marth's Fair that baits a u-smash and just follows with a punish.
Well acknowledging that, its still all learnable. Consistently is achieved through practice, the game isnt random, judgement aside

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
...who are you?

ONE G&W ever has taken ONE decent placing at ONE national where NO ONE had any G&W experience. #greatargument

I've watched GIMR's vids. Everyone plays piss poorly against him. Everyone constantly over estimates range, power, and cool down. That set against Nairo was DISGUSTING. Clearly missing 5 or 6 guaranteed kill-punishes. That match shouldn't have lasted half as long as it did, and it just proves my point that people just don't know how to play against him.

Bottom three in: Smash speed, aerial speed, and character weight. WOW WHAT A GOOD CHARACTER.

No one here has anything to offer as far as arguments other than "do better." There's no strategy discussion because there isn't anything viable. For ****'s sake the most exciting thing to happen for us in the past 3 months is "OMG BAIR TO JUDGE WORKS SOMETIMES." It's pathetic and embarrassing.

I dare any G&W main to go to Big House. Including GIMR or Regi. I promise you'd lose to every single person on MI's PR. $20 to any G&W who can beat anyone on MI's PR.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying but "anyone on Michigan's PR?" That's laughable

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, what's your favorite G&W color?

Personally I stick with the dark blue one, sometimes a switch over to Black or Red, though.

Furret24

Smash Master

Personally I stick with the dark blue one, sometimes a switch over to Black or Red, though.
Everyone uses Black, Dark Blue, Light Blue, and White, atleast from what i'm seen from the 20 G&Ws i've seen so far.

Personally, I always use the Green Game and Watch color.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Default is always the way to go, with every character. Except, ironically for me, R.O.B., who's Famicom color swap WAAAAY outclasses his dull NA default option. That color just looks boring.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
OK, after switching around for a bit, I've decided to stick with Dark Green.

Camo-Game&Watch.

oh and I just had the truest of all combos: 8 into 3 into 9. Uploading it as I type this.

EDIT There it iiiiis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyuBwi7QBUY

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
We need to bring this thread to life more i feel playing gw i have something to prove, most people usually thing he is bad and I love melting their faces off

Furret24

Smash Master
We need to bring this thread to life more i feel playing gw i have something to prove, most people usually thing he is bad and I love melting their faces off
Because he is bad. Just because you do good with a character, doesn't mean he's good. Vermanubis won a legitimate tournament with Ganondorf in Brawl and Triple R does great with Melee Kirby. Are they good characters?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
He's not fundamentally bad but is lacking in a few key areas that hold him back (mainly safe spacing options, kill options, and weight, though the latter two are related).

I use red Game & Watch.

Is the Game & Watch amiibo only going to be available as part of the retro bundle, or will he be sold seperately?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I got 13th of 92 last night as G&W, which is fairly good. I was sent to Losers because I tried Diddy, but I then climbed up through Loser's bracket with the master of 2 dimensions. Only reason I got knocked out was due to severe matchup inexperience against Dedede. Any tips?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
G&W amiibo should be sold separately eventually, I wanted one in the box by himself. No word on it officially however.

Against D3, I feel like theres not a whole lot going for us. You definitely want to get a solid start in, i'm sure we can 0-40/50 him before he hits the ground. But the other side of this is D3 is super hard to kill if you don't hit during the TOOT TOOT window.

I prefer big, open stages, because Gordos are pretty easy to reflect in open scenarios. I smash slow gordos and bacon fast ones. Messing with how fast you reflect them really mindgames them on the return. (for anyone who didn't know, the gordo will AIM for d3 on the hit-back.)

I don't try to follow up mid-air strings all that much either, because D3's aerials will outrange ours, so I try to bait a bad landing with bacon and punish accordingly.

Also, definitely go for stage spikes. D3 has those super armor frames, but if you can catch him fast enough a lot of D3 mains aren't used to teching during recoveries.

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
I got 13th of 92 last night as G&W, which is fairly good. I was sent to Losers because I tried Diddy, but I then climbed up through Loser's bracket with the master of 2 dimensions. Only reason I got knocked out was due to severe matchup inexperience against Dedede. Any tips?
made a reponse to this on SeanS's MU thread, hopefully itll help

Top Bottom