• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves with the chances of Tripping?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Hello everyone,

I was playing on the demo yesterday evening as Link. I hit a grounded Mario with the weak hit of the neutral air and he tripped. Unfortunately I was unable to recreate this glitch. This brings the question of tripping and the chances of moves that will trip a grounded opponent.

Has anybody encountered this as well (outside Diddy's bananas) in the demo OR full version?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Xinc

EDIT:

http://www.gfycat.com/ThoroughColorlessAtlanticsharpnosepuffer

Pikachu does have a down tilt that trips people.

Second, better explanation

Moves with the Sakurai Angle (a special angle that at low knockback the opponent is not lifted off the ground, while at high knockback they are launched diagonally) and other moves that don't launch people off the ground have a small chance to trip.

Other moves have a chance to trip encoded in them (like Banana has 100% chance to trip people).
This does appear to be the case, as every time I manage to trip an opponent or I see someone trip, they are hit by a weak move and do not even get lifted off the ground. Thanks, Aerodrome, for the feedback. And thank you to Shaya as well for keeping this thread on track and providing insight.

Moves that have a chance to trip:
Mario: Neutral Air (weak hitbox), Forward tilt
Link: Neutral Air (weak hitbox), arrow on grounded enemy
Pikachu's Down Tilt
Kirby's Down Tilt
Falco's Reflector
Pikachu's Fair (last hitbox of the move)
Greninja's Neutral B (just slightly charged)
Falcon's Down Air (low percents)

Moves that will 100% trip:
ROB's Custom Down B (Custom)
Diddy Kong's Banana
Thanks to the people who told me what can trip:
NobleClamtasm
Gaggy Rogers
SA-Y
EdreesesPieces
Raykz
mlorenzo
Zzuxon

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Most down tilts definitely have the effect. The only ones I remember watching in streams is Pikachu's and Kirby

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this has been a thing from at least Brawl...prob Melee, because IK at least a few chars can do it in PM. Zelda is prob another that can in SSB4 with D-tilt, not sure about others.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Warning Received
Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I noticed that several specific moves, such as Mario's nair, as well as Link's, can trip opponents in the demo. My thoughts were confirmed when I saw a trip in the VGBC stream today, where Doctor Mario tripped when doing a specific move. It does not seem that tripping is randomly done, like in Brawl, but implemented through moves. Moves I've seen that happen so far to trip are: the weak hit of Mario's nair, Link's nair, and Megaman's forward air (the fire sword).

This means that bananas are not the only move that can trip you (even though the tripping is extremely unreliable). Tripping is extremely difficult to force in the 3ds version, but when someone trips, it can lead to a very crucial punish.

I attached a photo of Link tripped by Mario in Omega Battlefield. I will update OP for any more tripping instances in the demo.

Attachments

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Zero showed on stream that Falco's reflector can trip opponents, but it seems to stop doing this after becoming stale. :)

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
Do you know approximately which part of the move actually hit them, and on which part of their hitbox? That could be useful for pin-pointing exactly how to replicate this.

Link with a nair that could consistently trip + auto-cancel would be insane. Reads for days.

I just got Mario to trip by using Pikachu's fair. It seemed to be the very edge of the hitbox on the last hit of the move.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tripping in moves from Brawl:
Moves that are over a certain knockback but while below a certain knockback all universally have a chance to trip.
When these trip you, within the first few frames (of hit lag / or knockback?) you need to be on or near the ground for you to actually go into the trip animation. Otherwise to you, it'll seem like being hit by any other move (although there is an initial trip animation that can be seen, even if they're hit in the air [at least this the case in Brawl and was only noticeable on FATTIES]).

In Brawl, certain moves had higher chances of tripping. Meta Knight's down tilt had a 30% chance to trip for example.

You shouldn't have made a new thread for this~

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Tripping in moves from Brawl:
Moves that are over a certain knockback but while below a certain knockback all universally have a chance to trip.
When these trip you, within the first few frames (of hit lag / or knockback?) you need to be on or near the ground for you to actually go into the trip animation. Otherwise to you, it'll seem like being hit by any other move (although there is an initial trip animation that can be seen, even if they're hit in the air [at least this the case in Brawl and was only noticeable on FATTIES]).

In Brawl, certain moves had higher chances of tripping. Meta Knight's down tilt had a 30% chance to trip for example.

You shouldn't have made a new thread for this~
My mistake. I thought it was pertinent enough to alter gameplay.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You could've bumped your old one is what I mean.
Eh? I thought it got deleted? I couldn't find it. >.<;;

EDIT: Derp.

DOUBLE POST:

Do you know approximately which part of the move actually hit them, and on which part of their hitbox? That could be useful for pin-pointing exactly how to replicate this.

Link with a nair that could consistently trip + auto-cancel would be insane. Reads for days.

I just got Mario to trip by using Pikachu's fair. It seemed to be the very edge of the hitbox on the last hit of the move.
It's not a guaranteed trip. But yes, the soft nair has a chance to trip and it follows up to jab and even side tilt.

In my experience, Link is far easier to trip than any of the other 4. Maybe because he's a bigger target.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
Eh? I thought it got deleted? I couldn't find it. >.<;;

EDIT: Derp.

DOUBLE POST:

It's not a guaranteed trip. But yes, the soft nair has a chance to trip and it follows up to jab and even side tilt.

In my experience, Link is far easier to trip than any of the other 4. Maybe because he's a bigger target.
I've gotta say, that's a pretty disappointing dose of RNG. I suppose I'll just have to stay on my toes and watch out for trips. I have a feeling that soft-hit nair is probably useful for comboing around 70+ percent anyways, which is around the time that you'd REALLY benefit from a trip on your foe.

I think Link is easiest to trip because the other characters in the demo are all lighter than him, so the knockback threshold is probably exceeded faster on, say, Pikachu. It may help to keep in mind if you're fighting a heavier character.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

Moves with the Sakurai Angle (a special angle that at low knockback the opponent is not lifted off the ground, while at high knockback they are launched diagonally) and other moves that don't launch people off the ground have a small chance to trip.

Other moves have a chance to trip encoded in them (like Banana has 100% chance to trip people).

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Thanks for explaining.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I have effectively tripped people with Link's arrow on the demo. Also Greninja's neutral B just slightly charged has tripped my opponents. Definitely sure some projectiles can trip.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Excellent. Will update OP accordingly. Have landed a trip with Mario's side tilt today in a FFA with friends and against the CPU today as well.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
R.O.B apparently has a custom down b that trips people, but this is probably more akin to bananas that what this thread is about.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Falcon's Dair can cause tripping at low percent.
Did you see this through stream or did you experience this yourself? You mean dair on grounded opponent, I hope.

R.O.B apparently has a custom down b that trips people, but this is probably more akin to bananas that what this thread is about.
It's probably like a banana, but I'll jot that down.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
I experienced it while I was using Falcon. If you Dair a grounded opponent at low percent, it has chances of tripping.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
All 45-degree ish angle moves will trip if the knockback is low.
I guess that would explain projectiles like Link's Arrow. I remember it tripped my opponent when I hit him in the knee. (I remember specifically because I made the very overdone "arrow in the knee joke" to friend next to me).

One of Villager's custom variations of Down B also has a 100% trip rate. It basically works like a stationary banana.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I did a lot of research on it when Brawl came out. In Brawl there was a special hitstun animation for moves that were capable of tripping, if sm4sh has the same thing it'll make finding those moves easier. Anyway, it was rather hard to use, since the majority of moves only had around a 10% chance (though some were about 50%), and the range of opponent %s where you could trip was usually small. Like a 10 damage window or less. Interested in seeing if it's more viable this time around.

One interesting detail was that the slope of the ground the opponent was standing on influenced the % window where they could be tripped. IIRC, if you were hitting them upslope, they would trip at higher percentages, and the reverse for downslope.

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Tripping is seen in the how to play video.
I'm pretty sure it's just like Brawl, except that you don't randomly trip when you start dashing.

Top Bottom