• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Move Set: Changes, Custom, Nerfs, and More!

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
I'm happy Meta Knight is nerfed! At least he won't glide under the stage in tournaments. That was really annoying. Now to talk about the Ice Climbers, I'm kind of on the fence with them because I'm pretty sure that Sakurai has mentioned in the past that they had some problems with them on the 3DS. I'm sure they're in, but just a heads up.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Given how Meta Knight IS going to get a considerable amount of nerfing, I suppose him getting one projectile couldn't hurt, depending on how this Sword Beam is handled exactly.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
A lot of people seem to be forgetting about his up air and down air. You could throw those things out there like they were nothing. They both need to be slowed down to about half the speed they were. Or down air could get replaced all together...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
More landing lag on aerials, no transcendent priority, slightly reduce speed. His recovery seems serious nerfed with the cutting of gliding and I expect his Shuttle Loop will now bound Meta Knight forward slightly after the loop. I like how Project M made his Drill Rush have a shorter duration, which should aid this.

No sign of Mach Tornado. Sure, it's very fitting to his character (used in just about every one of his boss fights) and it worked well in his kit. I could come back no problem as long as it is seriously nerfed as it saps all the life out of shields and many character in brawl had trouble dealing with it.

If something needs to replace it, there's still many options. Sword Beam from the Master Sword ability of Amazing Mirror? Wonder how projectiles would work on Meta Knight. The charged tornado attack that travels along the ground from Superstar onward? Or even that ground-based energy wave from Superstar? Maybe he could throw a projected image of his sword like the 2nd phase of his Superstar boss fight. Need a melee attacks? Bring out the charged rapid sword spin like in Return to Dreamland, which is very similar to Link's Up Special. Hell, give him an into air option for it too! Serves the same function as a rapid multihit attack, but with the shorter duration could compensate with more damage output and knockback.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wish he had more of a unique feature. Anything more of a knight!

Guys... Ultimate crossover....
What if Meta Knight rode in on Epona 0_o ??!?!!?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Some reduced priotirity would be nice. One thing I'm sure of is that he won't be made slower, he's supossed to be a fast character.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I'm so glad this game isn't being balanced by the Marvel vs Capcom 3 team. If it was then when ever Meta Knight hits 40% or over in Smash 4 his mask would fall off and he'd receive a buff. Increased attack speed and increased damage, allowing him to do combos he couldn't do before.

I'm rather optimistic about the balance changes I've seen thus far. Kirby, Bowser, Zero Suit, Fox all look like strong characters but none of them seem broken in the least. I have faith in the development team to sort Meta Knight out. Personally I think Little Mac will have a lot of fun in the match up since his super armor can go through all of Meta Knight's usual approaches(excluding dash grab).

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Meta Knight really only needs power and priority nerfs and he has to lose the teliport exploit from Brawl. This way Meta Knight is more about speed rather than an unhealthy balance of both speed and power, that's just how I see it anyway.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Top tier Ganondorf would be so hype.

As for Meta-Knight. I really hope one of his variants is a projectile. Could make things pretty interesting.
Yeah that'd be cool. He could flap his cape and a guest of air comes out or something...having no projectiles was like, his one weakness in Brawl.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Removing Mach Tornado is definitely not an option since it is one of his most iconic moves. Just nerf it a little bit instead.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Meta Knight was OPP in brawl. There will (hopefulyl) be big changes for him so he will be less dominate. What specific changes do you want to see for him? Could be a move change or drop a move entirely for something new and unique!

Here are some of my thoughts!

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
A balanced MK
Overall lagger moves.
No more transcendent priority on sword.
Weakened front hit of down smash.
Mach Tornado has low priority and loses vertical and horizontal acceleration.

Thats it. MK is completely manageable with these things. Frame 2 up air is not bad, the fact that it had zero lag in Brawl made it OP. So give it some lag!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I was away on a mini vacation during his reveal and didn't get to talk much about Meta Knight, but I'm happy he's back in the game. Personally, I really liked his up special but it wouldn't work obviously with all the characters' glide being removed, but I'm still looking forward to seeing his new up special in action. I hope the rest of his move-set stays, but at the same time also nerf them a bit in some areas.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

For anyone who hasn't seen it ywt. Mach Tornado is definitely back, but it seems smaller and has turned white, though it seems it still has a fair bit of knockback at the end. There are also two of his Drill Rush customizations, but we don't have a translation yet to know what they do. Hopefully we'll hear if Mach Tornado has been nerfed at least.

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman

Here you all go, it's translated! Just thought I'd help out in case noone knows yet, everyone is way too busy focusing on the recent leak. Then again I kinda am focused on it too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Here you all go, it's translated! Just thought I'd help out in case noone knows yet, everyone is way too busy focusing on the recent leak. Then again I kinda am focused on it too.
Those moves looks great

But looking at mach tornado

OMG IT LOOKS NO DIFFERENT FROM THE BRAWL ONE!!! :mad:

(But its not over yet though famistu saids nothing about up B being nerfed so still a chance its nefed.)

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
mk.jpg

If we take a look at Meta Knight's profile box in this photo, we can see that Famitsu is explaining how Meta Knight is balanced in this game. Here it is, "he makes use of high speed and his long reach. In exchange for his strong point of attacks, his small body is very easy to send flying." Well, there you have it. Meta Knight will still be quick, and have strong sword priority in the new Smash like in Brawl, in exchange for being very light.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I Think a a Mach Tornado custom should be the ginormous tornado attack in nearly all his games; chargeable, but can't move, it acts like a shorter Kratos Level 2.

An up b custom could be giving his glide back :lol:

Down B could be a reflect like in the E3 2006 Brawl trailer.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I am slightly worried I hope they balance metaknight out fairly and not just nerf him to s*** like Kirby from 64 to melee.
Nether the less metaknight they may not alter the speed of metaknight attacks to much. I am so happy to be looking visually BETTER THAN EVER!:rotfl:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Those moves looks great

But looking at mach tornado

(But its not over yet though famistu saids nothing about up B being nerfed so still a chance its nefed.)
It's one thing to look identical and another is to have the same properties. Let's wait until we see it in action to see how it fares.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If we take a look at Meta Knight's profile box in this photo, we can see that Famitsu is explaining how Meta Knight is balanced in this game. Here it is, "he makes use of high speed and his long reach. In exchange for his strong point of attacks, his small body is very easy to send flying." Well, there you have it. Meta Knight will still be quick, and have strong sword priority in the new Smash like in Brawl, in exchange for being very light.
He was already fairly light in Brawl, so it's no difference really. In the end it'll be the numbers that are going to make the difference with Meta Knight.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
He was already fairly light in Brawl, so it's no difference really. In the end it'll be the numbers that are going to make the difference with Meta Knight.
I know he was light in brawl, but I was thinking that he is even lighter in this game because of how easily you get KO'd now.

I am slightly worried I hope they balance metaknight out fairly and not just nerf him to s*** like Kirby from 64 to melee.
Nether the less metaknight they may not alter the speed of metaknight attacks to much. I am so happy to be looking visually BETTER THAN EVER!:rotfl:
Look at my post. He is not nerfed, but he is now balanced.

But honestly, I think Meta Knight isn't really going to change that much (which is great for me, because he was my main in Brawl) besides from him moving into Smash 4's heavier engine, and gliding being gone.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085

Well, it looks like Metaknight is still spinning while Marth has already been launched, perhaps meaning that the attack deals fewer multi hits or maybe even just one instead of keeping them inside the attack for the entire duration. The tornado effect seems to be a bit smaller, perhaps an indicator that the hitboxes aren't as large as they used to be, also it also seems to be easier to see metaknight inside the tornado, which could probably help with spacing. Seems like a pretty reasonable list of changes to me, especially if it's still around 12 frames of start-up like it did in Brawl. All just speculation, but that what it seems like they'd want us to discern from the picture.

Top Bottom