• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
What you been up to, G?
Not a clue.
Wait, hold that though. I'm willing to bet he's been busy supporting Shantae for Sm4sh DLC I presume.
What I have been up to:
-studying Japanese using Anki (daily)
-reading Berserk in Japanese
-doing some work for a computer science course I am currently undertaking
-listening to some good old rap music (it keeps me sane)
-playing Resident Evil in Japanese
-posting on these boards mostly to support Shantae for Smash DLC
-playing Final Fantasy 7 in Japanese
-listening to Japanese Anime in the background (mostly Baccano) while I do other stuff (see above)
-posting a list of the stuff I have been up to

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
What I have been up to:
-studying Japanese using Anki (daily)
-reading Berserk in Japanese
-doing some work for a computer science course I am currently undertaking
-listening to some good old rap music (it keeps me sane)
-playing Resident Evil in Japanese
-posting on these boards mostly to support Shantae for Smash DLC
-playing Final Fantasy 7 in Japanese
-listening to Japanese Anime in the background (mostly Baccano) while I do other stuff (see above)
-posting a list of the stuff I have been up to
Ah, I see. Embracing the Japanese lifestyle.
And rap music keeps me motivated, mainly southern rap.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Well, it looks like I've been here for a year now... Yay me I guess. :p I'm surprised I've been with the Rosalina boards for that long.

award.jpg

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
I'm pretty much this way myself mainly because of my busy lifestyle. It's hard to keep up with things they have on topic and stuff.
Yeah plus every time I have discussions about Rosa I get criticized all the time for defending her against hate on twitter. Which is sometimes true but only when reasonable.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Yeah plus every time I have discussions about Rosa I get criticized all the time for defending her against hate on twitter. Which is sometimes true but only when reasonable.
Whenever I see hate against most fictional characters (not just Rosalina), it's usually unwarranted hate that's heavily opinionated with unjust or weak arguments. Like if someone hated the living crap outta Mario just because he's a popular gaming icon, that just comes off as bratty and annoying. It's similar to the dumb "debates" about which console is better.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Whenever I see hate against most fictional characters (not just Rosalina), it's usually unwarranted hate that's heavily opinionated with unjust or weak arguments. Like if someone hated the living crap outta Mario just because he's a popular gaming icon, that just comes off as bratty and annoying. It's similar to the dumb "debates" about which console is better.
Yeah and just recently I was telling someone on twitter I was talking with, including another guy and they say I'm the one causing all the Rosalina defense problems. I'm just stating objective statements about the character in Smash and they literally say bs anyway and disregard anything I say cause I main the character.

Edit: heck as of this edit, one completely blocked me for no reason cause they refuse to talk it out or listen.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I really don't give a **** what the haters say about Rosie. In fact, they're the main reason why I find myself playing as her way more often than any of my other mains in the game, to the point where I might consider dropping every one of them (except for Mega Man, Little Mac, Ganondorf and Falco). Every time I boot up Smash 4, I couldn't help myself but to choose her.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
I really don't give a **** what the haters say about Rosie. In fact, they're the main reason why I find myself playing as her way more often than any of my other mains in the game, to the point where I might consider dropping every one of them (except for Mega Man, Little Mac, Ganondorf and Falco). Every time I boot up Smash 4, I couldn't help myself but to choose her.
True, but it's the unjustifiable comments that need to be addressed cause they take only there side and anybody who agrees to it. Especially when the opposition is giving so objective insight about it. I don't know it irritates me that ignorant comments are getting a free pass about this subject.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
True, but it's the unjustifiable comments that need to be addressed cause they take only there side and anybody who agrees to it. Especially when the opposition is giving so objective insight about it. I don't know it irritates me that ignorant comments are getting a free pass about this subject.
She's just awesome that way. In my eyes, they can't handle her awesomeness. :grin:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Can't blame you, she is ridiculously good in For Glory. Just wait for your opponent to do a smash attack....then you have so many options to mess with your opponent, such as the grab up-throw up-air.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't blame you, she is ridiculously good in For Glory. Just wait for your opponent to do a smash attack....then you have so many options to mess with your opponent, such as the grab up-throw up-air.
It's a mixed bag, actually. She's top tier, but online, she NEEDS a good connection.

>Faces Diddy player yesterday
>More than a second of delay on all inputs
>Diddy can afford to carelessly jump around and throw out attacks without worrying too much
>Rosalina literally can't do anything, she keeps swiveling off to where I don't want her to be and none of my moves come out in time and I just get bodied

After a while I just stopped trying.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Online is an awful location for any Rosalina main if you're doing For Fun or For Glory, simply because the lag that you might have to contend with just ruins her potential.

When battling with friends, however, the connection might be better if it's just a 1-on-1 bout, AND you can choose to utilize the custom specials as well.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, it looks like I've been here for a year now... Yay me I guess. :p I'm surprised I've been with the Rosalina boards for that long.

View attachment 57774
Congrats! I can't wait until mine!
Some just hate her in Smash because they found her hard to fight with. Some are irritated of her in too many, which doesn't make sense. And a few ones hate her for some really odd reasons.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some just hate her in Smash because they found her hard to fight with. Some are irritated of her in too many, which doesn't make sense. And a few ones hate her for some really odd reasons.
I find it much harder to use characters like Greninja, Robin, and Sheik. Even Shulk is a tricky fighter to use, thanks to his Monado Arts.

When it comes to competitive matches, people prefer to do close combat fighting. However, Rosalina isn't exactly a close combat type of fighter; she's more of a strategist who prefers to take advantage of her adversary's mistakes, instead of charging into battle recklessly like most other fighters. This is fueled even further when you include the custom specials, as Luma Warp and Shooting Star Bit are highly efficient moves that Rosalina can use.

In a way, the Luma serves as the close combat side of Rosalina, as it can fight head-on, and not worry about getting shield-grabbed. It does seem cheap at first, but that's what separates Rosalina from the other fighters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's up to the player how they play Rosalina. She absolutely can go up close herself, due to having a lot of high priority moves. She can handle any kind of situation, but it's up to you to figure out how.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
It's up to the player how they play Rosalina. She absolutely can go up close herself, due to having a lot of high priority moves. She can handle any kind of situation, but it's up to you to figure out how.
This is very true. Most might see Rosalina as the defensive type only, but I've seen an aggressive Rosalina player before and it's no joke. It just goes to show that people play Rosalina and Luma with different playstyles all the time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ideally, playing Rosalina & Luma as paradigm shifters is best, as that means changing the playstyles of both characters on the fly, meaning your are playing optimally according to the situation, and remaining unpredictable.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Ideally, playing Rosalina & Luma as paradigm shifters is best, as that means changing the playstyles of both characters on the fly, meaning your are playing optimally according to the situation, and remaining unpredictable.
I agree, but it can be difficult if you're not commanding the battle or in neutral. What I mean by that is whenever Rosalina is being heavily pressured, she'll be forced into a defensive playstyle most of the time, and when this happens sometimes people are even forced to use Luma into a defensive playstyle as well. Playing Rosalina & Luma as paradigm shifters is the best, but when the opponent forces them into a playstyle that the opponent can then capitalize on, from that point on it'd be difficult to change their playstyle on the fly until they're back in neutral or in command of the match.

Now the situation I said above mainly applies when Rosalina & Luma are facing upper tier to top tier characters (like Sheik, Zero Suit, maybe Luigi), since they can compete pretty competently against them. However, it also applies to people who are not that good with Rosalina & Luma or if the person they are facing against is a much better player.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well if the opponent manages to force you into a defensive playstyle against your will, then that is entirely your own fault, as the game starts off in neutral, at which point Rosalina has an inherent advantage against most if not all characters in the game.

However, I still say even if being heavily pressured, staying strictly to defense isn't always best, as that essentially means your opponent KNOWS what you're going to do - you're going to try shielding and maybe even dodging a lot, you're going to run away when Luma isn't around, you're going to try interrupt with Star Bits, etc - if the opponent knows what paradigm you're gonna play under due to making you feel like you have to play that way, they've already won the stock in most cases.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina has the most flexibility of any fighter; she can be defensive, offensive, campy or any combination of the three and still work. I feel her full potential is only as expansive as her player's imagination.
To add to this, Rosalina's button commands are quite simple, and she's a relatively safe fighter in that you don't always have to charge into battle when you can have the Luma do just that for you.

So while Rosalina may seem like an advanced fighter, she is actually easier to use than someone like Ryu, whose moveset is extremely advanced with the multiple button commands that need to be inputted for his stronger attacks. Likewise, Sheik, Greninja, and Shulk have rather large learning curves, with the latter requiring you to fully understand which Monado Art should be used for certain situations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To add to this, Rosalina's button commands are quite simple, and she's a relatively safe fighter in that you don't always have to charge into battle when you can have the Luma do just that for you.

So while Rosalina may seem like an advanced fighter, she is actually easier to use than someone like Ryu, whose moveset is extremely advanced with the multiple button commands that need to be inputted for his stronger attacks. Likewise, Sheik, Greninja, and Shulk have rather large learning curves, with the latter requiring you to fully understand which Monado Art should be used for certain situations.
Wait, what?

Sheik is no way more advanced than Rosalina. She's incredibly easy to use. Extremely safe rushdown/combo game, exceptional recovery that is hard/risky for most characters to gimp, she can camp with needles, and she has virtually no lag on anything. Literally her only drawback is that she can't KO at early percents, but it's not a big deal, as she can always pressure people off stage. She's easily a pick-up and play character.

Greninja is really an intermediate character, the main thing about him is you just have to bait-and-punish more than anything. Once you get into that mindset he's pretty easy to use.

While I think Shulk and Ryu are about Rosalina's level of technicality (they are the three most technical characters in the game), it's mind boggling to claim Sheik and Greninja are above her there. Especially Sheik. Part of the reason Sheik often beats Rosalina on tier lists despite arguably being a bit worse in overall potential and potency, and despite having a match-up against Rosalina that is no better than even, is because she's so easy to use , and because of tournament results just being better than Rosalina's. However, that's only because she's easier to use than Rosalina, not because she's necessarily better overall.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I find it much harder to use characters like Greninja, Robin, and Sheik. Even Shulk is a tricky fighter to use, thanks to his Monado Arts.

When it comes to competitive matches, people prefer to do close combat fighting. However, Rosalina isn't exactly a close combat type of fighter; she's more of a strategist who prefers to take advantage of her adversary's mistakes, instead of charging into battle recklessly like most other fighters. This is fueled even further when you include the custom specials, as Luma Warp and Shooting Star Bit are highly efficient moves that Rosalina can use.

In a way, the Luma serves as the close combat side of Rosalina, as it can fight head-on, and not worry about getting shield-grabbed. It does seem cheap at first, but that's what separates Rosalina from the other fighters.

Yeah, I do think Shulk is a hard fighter to use too. I still have a hard time to use his monado arts properly

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I wonder how reliable KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer statistics are, because based on his stat ratings, difficulty-wise, Samus is very easy to use, while Shulk is very hard. And even though Greninja's difficulty rating may be ranked lower than Sheik's and Rosalina's difficulty rating, it often felt like a very unsafe fighter on my end.
http://smashboards.com/threads/samus-frame-data.405752/

reading this cancerous thread gives insight into why Samus' difficulty sits at 1/10 instead of its originally given 7/10

Also Rosalini is hard to use, but not on the same level of Sheik/Ryu/Shulk difficulty since Rosalini can honestly just jab her way to victory 80% of the time.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!

reading this cancerous thread gives insight into why Samus' difficulty sits at 1/10 instead of its originally given 7/10

Also Rosalini is hard to use, but not on the same level of Sheik/Ryu/Shulk difficulty since Rosalini can honestly just jab her way to victory 80% of the time.
If you're going to overgeneralize like that, I can easily say that all Sheik needs to do is Forward air and occasional needles. Also thanks for calling this thread cancerous, that was really nice of you! ^.^

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Even for the ones who can't really control Luma well can still do a great job too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina can't jab her way to victory. Even before the little nerf it recently received, it isn't her fastest move and can leave her quite open. Over use of her jab is an amateur tactic.

Even for the ones who can't really control Luma well can still do a great job too.
Not really. A player like that is bound to lose a lot, as they will likely start running around like crazy whenever Luma is gone.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I don't understand how saying Rosalina jab shuts down many characters is "hate".

The difference between Rosalina jab and Sheik fair is that you have to perfectly space fair. Jab is just something you can use anywhere and be effective with.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
I don't understand how saying Rosalina jab shuts down many characters is "hate".

The difference between Rosalina jab and Sheik fair is that you have to perfectly space fair. Jab is just something you can use anywhere and be effective with.
It wasn't the jab thing, it was saying the thread is cancerous but you weren't talking about the Rosalina threads, it was a misunderstanding on my part and I'm sorry.
I know what you mean there. I tend to have difficulty detecting sarcasm a lot.
Yea, maybe one day there won't be Rosalina hate, but that really wishful thinking.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina can't jab her way to victory. Even before the little nerf it recently received, it isn't her fastest move and can leave her quite open. Over use of her jab is an amateur tactic.

Not really. A player like that is bound to lose a lot, as they will likely start running around like crazy whenever Luma is gone.
I recently saw Mew2King use Rosalina on his stream, he wasn't good at utilizing Luma than Dabuz.
When Luma is gone, this leaves Rosalina fragile, and lose most of her KO potential attacks like up tilt and side smash

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Except Rosalina's jab requires much more of a commitment than Sheik's F-air.

I recently saw Mew2King use Rosalina on his stream, he wasn't good at utilizing Luma than Dabuz.
When Luma is gone, this leaves Rosalina fragile, and lose most of her KO potential attacks like up tilt and side smash
That's a huge exaggeration. Since when is Rosalina's own Side Smash weak? It still KO's earlier than a lot of Side Smashes in the game. Luma's is a cherry on top, not the bread and butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom