• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be fair, the airships would've attempted to attack the Comet Observatory anyway. Of course, it should be noted that not all airships have organic beings on board; a good portion are probably operated by an AI system. So for all we know, Rosalina never took any lives going through that airship blockade.
Going through the game's airship levels, the airships are often boarded by many of Bowser's organic minions. Even if they are AI piloted, troops board them. That's likely how they reach the various galaxies in the game.

Just as an FYI, I'm not saying this as a point against Rosalina. It's quite the opposite actually, as she only uses her more intimidating power when she really needs to - when the cosmos or her Lumas are gravely endangered. She was justified in doing it (far more justified than Mario ever has been in trampling them individually!), and she actually nullified it through rebooting the universe and giving birth to many reincarnations.

EDIT: In MK8, Rosalina kind of looks like she has kawaii cat lips when she opens her mouth.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
The Luma spawns automatically? That's pretty cool. Does this mean that Rosalina's animation for spawning a Luma in her initial trailer was just using a well-timed taunt of hers for trick-footage?

Tricky, tricky, Sakurai...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Luma spawns automatically? That's pretty cool. Does this mean that Rosalina's animation for spawning a Luma in her initial trailer was just using a well-timed taunt of hers for trick-footage?

Tricky, tricky, Sakurai...
So far, that seems to be the case, since no one has reported the Luma Shot being able to summon a new Luma faster than normal yet. Based on some game play footage that I saw, it takes about 8 seconds for a new Luma to spawn automatically after the last one gets KO'd.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I recall Mario having a lot of old Brawl voice clips in older videos, but now has new ones.

I think I heard some familiar Sonic voice clips too, from newer Sonic games.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, I got to play as Rosalina at SmashFest. Gotta say, she was a lot of fun! She also packs a wallop. Sandwiching opponents between her and Luma and comboing the crap out of them is a lot of fun. Her recovery is awesome, too. I'm definitely looking forward to playing as her more.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I was trying to listen to Rosalina's voice in the videos posted with her. It seems she is voiced by Laura again, but this time, with an echo effect again, just like she needed. I'm fine with it.

Also I gotta say I love the new voice announcer, especially for Rosalina and Luma. He also sounds more Melee-esque with the echo effect readded to the announcer again.

(FYI: I didn't go to the SmashFest, this is just from videos on YouTube.)

andimidna

Smash Master
Hey, Rosalina fans! If you're satisfied with Rosalina in Smash, how about coming to the RTC and rating her? Today is rating the satisfaction% of the first 6 newcomers :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...revious-newcomers-satisfaction.351920/page-98
Maybe @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , @ Rose alumna Rose alumna , @ Oz37 Oz37 , @ GunBlaze GunBlaze , @Rosalina suporter , @Rosalina , and @ Krazy4Krash Krazy4Krash would like to stop by?
She usually gets rated very low- around the lowest scores- just like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja
:(
So please help!
And maybe @ HeroMystic HeroMystic , @ Claire Diviner Claire Diviner , and @majora_787 too! :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Eh, she'd inevitably win compared to Miis, no matter how inherently flawed people's view of Best Mario Character is.

I'd give her 100%. (I don't think I ever voted on the matter...)

andimidna

Smash Master
Eh, she'd inevitably win compared to Miis, no matter how inherently flawed people's view of Best Mario Character is.

I'd give her 100%. (I don't think I ever voted on the matter...)
I wasn't counting the ones yesterday, but yea, that's true.
(and if you didn't vote please do :o)

andimidna

Smash Master
What are the odds that the low ratings are due to players not utilizing the Luma right?
Mega Man: 85.40%
Little Mac: 82.69%
Palutena: 80.77%
Villager: 80.25%
Pac-Man: 78.05%
Rosalina: 73.46%
Greninja: 71.18%
Wii Fit Trainer: 61.93%
Mii Fighter: 49.42%

Actually, she ended up doing OK. And most of the ratings weren't influenced by gameplay. Usually, the reasoning for giving her a low score was "Bowser Jr and Toad"
Which seems a bit odd... there could be 6 Mario characters, it's not like it's her fault, but oh well. Once there's another newcomer they'll all get rated again.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pffft. She's a ton more original than either of them would've been, and as much as I like them, they'll never be better than my favorite Mario character.

That said, I wholeheartedly will be supporting "Captain" Toad for SSB6.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That is true. The low ratings could also be due to the lack of killing potential moves that Rosalina & Luma has.

I mean, out of all her moves, she only seems to have about 2.
I could've sworn that I've seen her score KOs with more than just two attacks. So far, I did see her KO Little Mac with the forward smash, and Samus with the down smash.

Anyway, I think that if one were to use Rosalina more defensively, she'd be more troubling to stop, since Gravitational Pull would neutralize just about any item thrown at her, forcing head-to-head combat for her adversary.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seems like Gravitational Pull will be particularly useful against Samus, Peach and Greninja to name a few.

Do we know if it affects Substitute yet?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's Rosalina VS Greninja, singles match. Spoiler alert, Rosalina loses the match, but take it with a grain of salt. The Rosalina player didn't really use Luma effectively all that much, and kept Luma by Rosalina's side for most of the match.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sad to say that none of my nearest Best Buy locations were doing the Smash-Fest at all. This pretty much means that my thoughts on Rosalina will be going without an actual conclusion right now.

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
Still bothering me that the inside of her dress is BLACK! I thought that by now Sakurai improved her texture but I suppose he will keep this lame black void until the release version. :(

andimidna

Smash Master

I've always thought Rosalina was going to be a starter character, despite the popular opinion being that she'd be unlockable.
This artwork solidifies that for me. She is very prominent on the front box art for the first version of the game.
I think ALL 11 of these will be starters.
Just look at Brawl's

All 11 of these characters were starters!

And I'm pretty sure everybody thinks these 10 will be starters.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be honest, Rosalina is on Mario Kart 8's box art, but she was still an unlockable character in that game. It's possible that some of the characters on the 3DS box art may actually be unlockables (Ex.: Rosalina, Marth, and Little Mac), but like in Mario Kart 8, you may end up facing them in Classic Mode, even though you haven't unlocked them yet. It would basically be similar to with Super Smash Bros., where you would fight against Luigi in 1P Mode, despite the fact that he's an unlockable character.

Interestingly though, I've portrayed all the characters on the Wii U box art to be starters.

I guess all that I'm saying is that I'm just finding it very weird to be treating Rosalina be a starter, while Luigi would still be treated as an unlockable.

andimidna

Smash Master
To be honest, Rosalina is on Mario Kart 8's box art, but she was still an unlockable character in that game. It's possible that some of the characters on the 3DS box art may actually be unlockables (Ex.: Rosalina, Marth, and Little Mac), but like in Mario Kart 8, you may end up facing them in Classic Mode, even though you haven't unlocked them yet. It would basically be similar to with Super Smash Bros., where you would fight against Luigi in 1P Mode, despite the fact that he's an unlockable character.

Interestingly though, I've portrayed all the characters on the Wii U box art to be starters.

I guess all that I'm saying is that I'm just finding it very weird to be treating Rosalina be a starter, while Luigi would still be treated as an unlockable.
Well because of hints and tradition, it's what I'm leaning towards.
I don't think Mario Kart 8 can really be compared, as it's Mario Kart tradition to start with only 12, and the full roster was officially revealed long before the game released.

I think Smash should be compared to Smash to look for evidence and such...
PS: I didn't even realize she was on the box art until you said she was and I checked :p
----
So, how about that tier list guess by CT Zero?
Ranks Rosalina at what I assume would become a B Tier if organized the same way as they have been in the past.
High Tier sounds decent, thoughts?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could see Rosalina being in the top tier rankings if one were to utilize the Luma to perfection, and have the knowledge to be using Gravitational Pull against projectile games.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
After seeing Rosie in action, I'm even more convinced her full meta game will take the longest to develop.

The Luma adds so much depth to the character, someone who really knows how to play her will really be a treat to watch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's a shame Rosalina wasn't available to use in the 3DS demo, I really wanted to see how she fared in Smash Run.

I can imagine that when you get her speed and jump stats up, she'll more or less be able to fly since she's so floaty! :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After seeing Rosie in action, I'm even more convinced her full meta game will take the longest to develop.

The Luma adds so much depth to the character, someone who really knows how to play her will really be a treat to watch.
Pretty much this. Brawl Olimar had a very long developing curve himself, and that eventually got him a good tier ranking in the competitive world.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I visited some Rosalina related topics on the GameFAQs MK8 boards.

Never again.

Also tried to read some fanfics related to her, but it wasn't a good first experience.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Hey, Rosalina fans! If you're satisfied with Rosalina in Smash, how about coming to the RTC and rating her? Today is rating the satisfaction% of the first 6 newcomers :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...revious-newcomers-satisfaction.351920/page-98
Maybe @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , @ Rose alumna Rose alumna , @ Oz37 Oz37 , @ GunBlaze GunBlaze , @Rosalina suporter , @Rosalina , and @ Krazy4Krash Krazy4Krash would like to stop by?
She usually gets rated very low- around the lowest scores- just like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja
:(
So please help!
And maybe @ HeroMystic HeroMystic , @ Claire Diviner Claire Diviner , and @majora_787 too! :upsidedown:
Man, I didn't get on SB these past days. Can I still?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've dabbled into fanfics a few years ago. How (bad) were they?"
One was basically a huge forth wall breaker where someone used a certain other character to rant on their hate for Rosalina as a character, and apparently she died because said character really upset her with all of the fourth wall breaking to the point where she is implied to have offed herself:

The character the writer used to personify their hate for Rosalina was Dry Bowser, and one of the biggest complaints they had was that Rosalina is an unoriginal Peach clone. DRY BOWSER.

Also, Toadette and Dry Bowser talk about her while visiting her grave, Toadette mourns, Dry Bowser just talks more ****.

The other was a really out of character romance fic between Rosalina and some OC (to it's credit though, it did sell me on the fact that Rosalina desiring romance is actually totally likely considering her past, due to one specific point, and that's now another headcanon I have for her).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom