• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

I hope so , but chances are that it will be since those usually have more content than the handheld counterpart.

Even so , this Rio Olympics 3DS are not gonna top the Vancouver games from DS ; that game is still the best portable one to me.
London 2012 on the Wii is my most favorite.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
London 2012 on the Wii is my most favorite.
i didn't play that one as much , i guess it was only the events such as Ribbon Dancing and the Track Field races.

For portable and console the vancouver Winter games are better for me.

But at the end ,this series already lost charm as it has been milked for no particular reason (it doesn't even sell that well IIRC)

i guess it's more of a tradition for the Olympics rather than sales , as the abysmal Wii U won't help these low tier games at all.

In the end , the Rio Olympics was already ruined for me ; i still have preference for the Winter events .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They still make the M&S Olympic Games series because the Olympic Committee commission SEGA to make them (Nintendo just licenses them and the Mario stuff). The normal Olympics video games never really do too well since they lack any sort of flair. Mario & Sonic Olympics sells very well though.

The only one that didn't sell well was Sochi and that was because the Wii U didn't have any real install base at the time. And it was a particularly lacking entry in the series. It also didn't have a handheld version to fall back on.

SEGA Sports R&D are the studio that makes the games, and also made the regular licensed Olympics games. However, Mario & Sonic Olympics is all they work on anymore. This is why Sochi was so lacking. They were feeling burned out and lacked any drive, and so didn't bother as much, and didn't bother with a handheld one. It doesn't help that the real-life Sochi Olympics had a poor event line-up, and they had to stick to that regardless of how fun the game would be with that line-up.

Rio at least has a lot of events to work with though.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
All of this beautiful discussion about Rosalina's voice made me realise something important that needed to be adressed.

The fact that , it's kind stupid that Rosalina's debuts in each spin off series is in a Low tier game , aka Garbage.

The only exception being Mario Kart , because it was Mario Kart Wii.

Smash is a crossover so it doesn't count.

I feel like , i really really want this year to pass quickly so the Wii U can finally die in hell forever , and we can focus on what i think will be a better console. Besides , Super Mario Galaxy 3 or some actually good Mario Game may come out for the New console which clearly gives Rosalina having more chances of being interesting and helpful again , instead of being your new favorite party filler that sounds like a chicken dying.

Before the Wii U dies forever , however , i want my New Zelda game (hopefully it will be just fine) and pray that Star Fox isn't garbage.

There's a lot of praying that i need to do as with Nintendo , i cannot be confident anymore.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, the only thing that really died today is the ability to run Homebrew exploits on your 3DS system. The newest system update pretty much fixed the exploits that were usable in the older updates, which means that you can no longer hack your equipment supply in Smash 3DS until a new exploit is developed, and who knows when that will ever happen.

And to add insult to injury, updating your 3DS hardware is mandatory if you want to continue using the Nintendo Network services, such as the Nintendo eShop and Nintendo Badge Arcade.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Frankly, the only thing that really died today is the ability to run Homebrew exploits on your 3DS system. The newest system update pretty much fixed the exploits that were usable in the older updates, which means that you can no longer hack your equipment supply in Smash 3DS until a new exploit is developed, and who knows when that will ever happen.

And to add insult to injury, updating your 3DS hardware is mandatory if you want to continue using the Nintendo Network services, such as the Nintendo eShop and Nintendo Badge Arcade.
Weren't those types of exploits fixed shortly after people were using Cubic Ninja as a method? Was this just a new method?

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33

I don't understand what you mean. I've recently updated my 3DS, but I didn't know what actually really happend.

On another note, I found this amazing cosplaying of Zelda, Rosalina pulled off very well. And I don't mind if their bodies swap, they are both wise and cunning as we all know.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't understand what you mean. I've recently updated my 3DS, but I didn't know what actually really happend.
The system update is simply an attempt to remove any unauthorized software from your 3DS system. The Internet Browser has also been updated, so that the current browserhax exploits can no longer be used. You can still use the Internet Browser if you're running an older system version, but all Nintendo Network services can't be used at all until the update has been installed.

Browserhax is basically the simplest way to run Homebrew exploits, since it's free, unlike with most other exploit options.

I'm just fortunate that I did my equipment hacking before the update came, but I did have to revert back to my original non-hacked Smash 3DS game data before doing the system update.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see how Rosalina has been consistently debuting in low tier iterations of spin-off series'.

The only one everyone agrees is subpar is Ultra Smash (and even then it's just a content thing, the gameplay is still solid, best it's ever been I hear).

Everything else is subjective. I liked Mario Party 10 (though she technically debuted in Island Tour).

But I actually personally hated MKWii, and Rosalina's portrayal in it is probably her worst or second worst too.

Also those voice and character "derailment" arguments while I was gone were exceptionally silly.

Saying Rosalina's character was "derailed" is a complete lack of understanding of what the term means. The only Mario characters to ever suffer legitimate character derailment are Bowser (they can't decide whether he's just a lovable "not necessarily evil" villain or a vicious Ganondorf-wannabe, which usually results in downplaying other characters to make him look better. The former is better as it has consistently led to him having more of a personality), and Peach (originally touted as the wise ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom possessing some kind of magical power that Bowser wanted, turned into a complete "dumb blonde" stereotype. They occasionally re-rail her though). TV Tropes agrees with me too.

Rosalina has not been derailed as she has never exhibited some kind of outrageously major out of character behaviour. She's only had small instances (MKWii, Mario Party 10) and none of them even define her portrayal in those games, plus they aren't story driven to begin with, so they need not be taken seriously. Rosalina was just a much more diverse character than most Nintendo characters from the get go, so there is a lot they can work with. Some games might hone in on specific traits of hers more than others, but that's not a bad thing and meets complete sense (for example, it makes sense to hone in on her motherly side in Smash since Luma fights with her, but you can't really do much with it in 3D World since Rosalina flies solo or with the other playable characters there, so her competitive, tough, cool, collected, and confident side is emphasised much more here, as it fits the tone of the game. She had all of these traits in Galaxy, though).

With all that said, I want to share something:

rosalinariostory.jpg

This screenshot has been shared here before, but PushDustin (owner of SourceGaming, they translate a lot of Japanese stuff, like interviews with Sakurai, he's a mod on this site too), casually translated this when I posted about it in another thread. Rosalina is saying "Well then, let's go to a fantastic extra world together!".

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd share. I guess Rosalina is going to take the player to another world at some point in this game? Maybe she is our gateway to dream events in the story mode.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i honestly forgot about the methods hacking the 3DS.

Now i see why there has been soooo many updates for it.

but when support for the system stops , people are still going to find a way to get into exploits and mod the games.

It's just that , it will never be as easy as it was with the Wii .

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't see how Rosalina has been consistently debuting in low tier iterations of spin-off series'.

The only one everyone agrees is subpar is Ultra Smash (and even then it's just a content thing, the gameplay is still solid, best it's ever been I hear).

Everything else is subjective. I liked Mario Party 10 (though she technically debuted in Island Tour).

But I actually personally hated MKWii, and Rosalina's portrayal in it is probably her worst or second worst too.

Also those voice and character "derailment" arguments while I was gone were exceptionally silly.

Saying Rosalina's character was "derailed" is a complete lack of understanding of what the term means. The only Mario characters to ever suffer legitimate character derailment are Bowser (they can't decide whether he's just a lovable "not necessarily evil" villain or a vicious Ganondorf-wannabe, which usually results in downplaying other characters to make him look better. The former is better as it has consistently led to him having more of a personality), and Peach (originally touted as the wise ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom possessing some kind of magical power that Bowser wanted, turned into a complete "dumb blonde" stereotype. They occasionally re-rail her though). TV Tropes agrees with me too.

Rosalina has not been derailed as she has never exhibited some kind of outrageously major out of character behaviour. She's only had small instances (MKWii, Mario Party 10) and none of them even define her portrayal in those games, plus they aren't story driven to begin with, so they need not be taken seriously. Rosalina was just a much more diverse character than most Nintendo characters from the get go, so there is a lot they can work with. Some games might hone in on specific traits of hers more than others, but that's not a bad thing and meets complete sense (for example, it makes sense to hone in on her motherly side in Smash since Luma fights with her, but you can't really do much with it in 3D World since Rosalina flies solo or with the other playable characters there, so her competitive, tough, cool, collected, and confident side is emphasised much more here, as it fits the tone of the game. She had all of these traits in Galaxy, though).

View attachment 98293

This screenshot has been shared here before, but PushDustin (owner of SourceGaming, they translate a lot of Japanese stuff, like interviews with Sakurai, he's a mod on this site too), casually translated this when I posted about it in another thread. Rosalina is saying "Well then, let's go to a fantastic extra world together!".

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd share. I guess Rosalina is going to take the player to another world at some point in this game? Maybe she is our gateway to dream events in the story mode.
You hated MarioKart Wii?

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Well on my part i did enjoy MKWii , even though it's a bit frustrating ; Then again it didn't got boring as fast as Mario Kart 8.

Mario Kart 8 is fine but bottom line is that , the game forces you to play defensively because of all the changes made and that's certainly BORING.

You cannot place bananas while in first because you may regret letting it go since you have chances to get coins in the next item set for example.

Also , no matter what , Mario Kart Wii remains Rosalina's best spin off apperence to date. She was so beautiful. Nowdays , i'd rather play as Wendy Koopa ... well not really, im not that desperate. I actually would play as Blaze since apparently she is taking over the cool female role now that Rosalina is terrible in the Olympics.

Yeah , i'll take Blaze instead. The best part is that she is a Cat and that she isn't Amy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not liking MKWii is like liking Roman Reigns...bad
To be very fair, Mario Kart Wii had some major flaws, which included the wheelie boosts, the character specific bonuses, and even the standstill mini-turbo. You might as well rename the game to "Funky Bike Wii", because Funky Kong was just way too dominant in that game, and the standstill mini-turbo heavily defies the acceleration stat.

Mario Kart 8 at least tried to be more diverse with the character and vehicle stats, but even that game had its problems, which included the acceleration tiers, the poor item system, and some stats just felt quite useless as a whole (most notably, traction).

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Perhaps that's where I went wrong in Mario Kart Wii by maining Bowser Jr. He just didn't have nearly enough funk. Am I the only one that misses having the ability to do wheelies on bikes in Mario Kart? I personally felt that it was a neat thing to strategize with finding out the best times to use it and when to control my turns to get good times.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
It's funny cause , just now i was called out because i legit said that Rosalina's new voice is terrible , which it is btw in case anybody forgets , now suddenly it's not ok to not to like MKWii. By this i mean that i was called out for treating ''my opinion'' as ''a fact'' , and then the same happens just now ironically by the same person who called me out. I love it.

I'm seriously done XD like i can't .

--------------------------------------------

Moving on from that , i will say:

Perhaps that's where I went wrong in Mario Kart Wii by maining Bowser Jr. He just didn't have nearly enough funk. Am I the only one that misses having the ability to do wheelies on bikes in Mario Kart? I personally felt that it was a neat thing to strategize with finding out the best times to use it and when to control my turns to get good times.
I mean yeah , there were some fun mechanics in MKWii , wheelies even when they were clearly Broken as hell , were really cool to perform.

I honestly feel that MKWii was good since , along with the Wii itself , it was an inovation , you know. New Controls , new characters , new mechanics , a new vehicle type , a big online mode.

It was cool , unbalanced as hell but cool.

To be very fair, Mario Kart Wii had some major flaws, which included the wheelie boosts, the character specific bonuses, and even the standstill mini-turbo. You might as well rename the game to "Funky Bike Wii", because Funky Kong was just way too dominant in that game, and the standstill mini-turbo heavily defies the acceleration stat.

Mario Kart 8 at least tried to be more diverse with the character and vehicle stats, but even that game had its problems, which included the acceleration tiers, the poor item system, and some stats just felt quite useless as a whole (most notably, traction).
I don't feel that MK8 did any better to be honest. I don't see how they tried anything by clearly giving the Heavy characters a major advantage since the Vanilla game. In fact , that issue wasn't even touched after so many patches.

Even more , call me crazy but IIRC in MK7 the Monster Tires actually had an Off road stat boost , which is clearly not showing in MK8 ; They are useless.

Those and many other instances of changes that made the game just as bad as Wii Could be ; Maybe even worse making the characters squeak, forcing you to play defensively which is Boring as hell , and overall downgrading the items and how they play in-game.

I still praise it's music , and it's replay value since it has good tracks tho , so no hard stuff on that.

I just Wish the Wii u didn't bring low tier games such as Mario Party 10 , a game that CLEARLY nobody with real taste likes and a game that clearly nobody needed.

But what can we say , at least we got Smash , so that's something.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not liking MKWii is like liking Roman Reigns...bad
Still fanboying me will get you nowhere. Mario Kart Wii is perhaps, in my opinion, the worst game in the series. I considered Mario Kart 8 to be an improvement over Wii (aside from Rosalina's horrible voice, questionable made up characters like Pink Gold Peach and Battle Mode) even though I no longer play that game anymore.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see why MKWii Rosalina is so revered.

She was super out of character at times. I've listened to the voice clips a lot recently while making my mod.

People complain about MK8 Rosalina sounding over the top, but I don't see how. She gets excited on ramps and stuff, but that's not out of character and she showed that trait in the Galaxy games.

But in MKWii, they forgot she's supposed to have a cool, nonchalant edge, and gave her some really silly lines like "OUCH OUCH OUCHIE" and "BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB". She literally whines and stuff when she takes damage. Meanwhile, MK8 Rosalina just shrugs it off with a simple "Woah" or "Huh" or something. Mercedes also had a bunch of high pitched voices too, no different to Laura, arguably more frequently, so you can't hate Laura for that alone

I feel Laura is the best of the three from an objective standpoint, since she's the most consistent of the three actresses. She isn't perfect but she captures the character well and does that with more consistency. She also sounds the oldest. She never makes Rosalina sounding like a five year old or a Looney Toons character, at least.

Either way though, none of the three are amazing, but I have a fondness of sorts for all of them.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Still fanboying me will get you nowhere. Mario Kart Wii is perhaps, in my opinion, the worst game in the series. I considered Mario Kart 8 to be an improvement over Wii (aside from Rosalina's horrible voice, questionable made up characters like Pink Gold Peach and Battle Mode) even though I no longer play that game anymore.
Nah I ain't fanboying(I'll do that if it's MK7 or Double Dash, cause those are my favorites)

Funky needed some love

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, wheelies make the bikes far superior than the karts. Their removal from Mario Kart 8 made things feel more balanced, but some may argue that the inside drifting bikes are still overpowered, when in truth, they don't handle the sharp turns as well as the outside drifting vehicles, and they can't fire-hop either.

Even more , call me crazy but IIRC in MK7 the Monster Tires actually had an Off road stat boost , which is clearly not showing in MK8 ; They are useless.
Ironically, some Time Trial records involved the use of the Monster tires. But I will say that traction should've also influenced how much speed is lost on off-road terrain, because absolutely nothing could drift on normal off-road in Mario Kart 8.

Funky needed some love
But giving him the highest top speeds of all the racers pretty much took things too far.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I have never seen somebody claim that the bikes in MK8 are still OP . If anything most people noticed the obvious downgrade for them ; they are now more viable thanks to the 200cc break mechanic so they can take turns better , but Karts still are better overall .

At this point , since Rosalina is annoying I will say , give me better items Add balance in weight classes so I can Main Peach easily online again without being bumped off the road .

The game did get boring after a while since the gameplay is not active or a little crazy like MKWii ; the character preferences are also annoying as hell in 8 , it was better in 7 because even though metal Mario was the common spam choice , not everybody played as him in the same way they play as Morton Koopa

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Frankly, wheelies make the bikes far superior than the karts. Their removal from Mario Kart 8 made things feel more balanced, but some may argue that the inside drifting bikes are still overpowered, when in truth, they don't handle the sharp turns as well as the outside drifting vehicles, and they can't fire-hop either.

Ironically, some Time Trial records involved the use of the Monster tires. But I will say that traction should've also influenced how much speed is lost on off-road terrain, because absolutely nothing could drift on normal off-road in Mario Kart 8.

But giving him the highest top speeds of all the racers pretty much took things too far.
Funky needs it...besides

If it's broken, leave I
If it's not broken, fix it

TriTails

Smash Lord

Random Rosalina doodles. Still erasing heavily with these stuffs.
When I saw 3DS version of Rio had character assignments, I lost my drive for that game in an instant. I fricking hate those and the sole reason why I think London sucked. Characters bruh, CHARACTERS.

Why can't we have nice things like DK iceskating back then in Winter DS? Also, I fail to see the stats' usefulness because Rosalina has stats... when she is only playable in one event lmao.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I like your drawings TriTrails!

And yes , the stats are literally very pointless especially for newcomers playable only in 1 event ; Even more the Hoop event is pretty easy with any character available.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have never seen somebody claim that the bikes in MK8 are still OP . If anything most people noticed the obvious downgrade for them ; they are now more viable thanks to the 200cc break mechanic so they can take turns better , but Karts still are better overall .
You can look at the following thread link from Mariokartwii.com to see the many different things that people have complained about Mario Kart 8. Inside drifting bikes do get the hate treatment by some users.

http://www.mariokartwii.com/threads/137235-The-vent-your-anger-about-MK8-thread

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

When I saw 3DS version of Rio had character assignments, I lost my drive for that game in an instant. I fricking hate those and the sole reason why I think London sucked. Characters bruh, CHARACTERS.

Why can't we have nice things like DK iceskating back then in Winter DS? Also, I fail to see the stats' usefulness because Rosalina has stats... when she is only playable in one event lmao.
Is that Sakurai creeping up behind her?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

There's still the Wii U version

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I just realized my favorite Olympic game in the Mario and Sonic series, and that would be the Winter games for the Ds. I like the music, the story, I mean. Who wouldn't like *Insert whatever amazing in story mode here* in adventure mode? Perhaps Rosalina could have similiarity and roles as the Snow Spirits (Not being a damsel in distress.).

View attachment 98293

It wouldn't make sense for Rosalina to appear in sights from the protagonist's view constantly now, would it? The only thing I want is for Rosalina to be displayed as wise and mature in the story mode. I really do hope that unlocking Rosalina won't be as hard as unlocking a Mii in Mario Kart Wii.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I only want to play the boxing event with Rosalina, right now. I'm so glad the Wii U version doesn't have character lock... I wanna play soccer and boxing with Rosie so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom