• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Last call for anyone who wants to contribute to the discussion on Rosalina's custom sets.

Link.

The deadline is the 17th. While the "true" deadline is the 27th, the 10 buffer days are in order to collate and organize everything. In short, posts made in the thread after the 17th are not guaranteed to be read or considered.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So, you know that Towa character I brought up before? Well, there's more to it than just looking like an evil/anti-Rosalina. I'll just paste a tumblr post I made on the subject here:

I’ve been playing Dragon Ball Xenoverse a lot lately, and I can’t get something out of my mind...

Towa from Dragon Ball Online/Xenoverse is literally like if you took Rosalina’s design and made it more evil and demonic and sultry.

Her role is even messing up time and space, as opposed to Rosalina protecting it and making sure all is right in the cosmos.

And she has a companion, Mira:

And he’s basically her Luma. Except instead of cute and cuddly, he’s muscular and imposing.

Even the backstory between these two is like a messed up version of the one between Rosalina and Luma - Towa, being a scientist, created Mira herself, EFFECTIVELY making him her child. However, she then MARRIED him, and the two of them made their OWN child together (and since I can’t find info specifying otherwise, I can only assume they did the deed together, since that is certainly within the restrictions of the Dragon Ball universe in terms of what’s appropriate...I think...).

As opposed to Rosalina meeting up with one Luma, then later meeting up with more of them, and then becoming the adoptive mother of all Lumas. Sometimes Lumas are simply reborn as other Lumas after they die. Rosalina raises Lumas so that they can be reborn as whatever they wish. As opposed to Towa, who raised Mira for her own purposes.

So both characters and their male children/partners (Luma’s Japanese name is “Chiko”, which is a boy’s name, and all named Lumas are boys, so I assume all Lumas are boys) have an element of reproduction and birth associated with them, except with Rosalina/Luma it’s innocent, and with Towa/Mira, it’s messed up.

Seriously, Towa is literally the Anti-Rosalina.

And I love it, it’s so hilarious for me.

...as a side note, Towa is totally the hottest Dragon Ball character (as if that was difficult to achieve), and Rosalina is totally the hottest Mario character (again, as if that was difficult to achieve). :V

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not gonna get MP10 just yet, I don't think I'd get enough out of it right now for the price it is going for. I'll probably buy Captain Toad first, not to mention all of the Amiibo hunting I'll have to do. And I don't consider Rosalina's inclusion to be much of an incentive anymore, since I'm not completely satisfied with how she is portrayed anyway.

EDIT:

So I found something really interesting from back in 2008.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...uareenix-level-5-games-being-tradem-26125379/

Back in 2007, Nintendo trademarked "Rosetta", which is Rosalina's name in Japanese. 2007 is also when Rosalina made her debut.

This basically means Nintendo, since Rosalina's inception, made a trademark for her.

For those of you who don't understand why this is significant:

Rosalina, like any character, is copyrighted. And of course, Nintendo holds the copyrights of her. This isn't strange though. You can literally copyright anything, even ideas that haven't been fully realised.

However, a trademark doesn't refer to an idea - it refers to a brand that you publish ideas and products under. For example, the "Super Mario" copyright refers to the character, but the "Super Mario" trademark refers to the brand, the franchise.

For reference, "Peach-Hime" (Princess Peach) was trademarked in 2004. A year later, Super Princess Peach was released. The English version of the trademark (PRINCESS PEACH) was not made by Nintendo of America until 2011, though.

So what does this mean?

It means that, since her inception, Rosalina was planned to have something published under her name.

And no, this does not need to be done so they can make merchandise of her, like Amiibos. Those fit under other trademarks. It needs to be done to publish things under HER name, and companies don't make trademarks unless they at least THINK about publishing something under it. Note how Peach had plenty of merchandise since her inception, but didn't get her own trademark until 2004, which was obviously for Super Princess Peach (and that was only the Japanese trademark).

Now we have not seen anything published under the Rosetta trademark, but the fact they made that trademark when they did means at least one of these things:

1) She was planned to get her own game or something (like a book about her) early on, possibly as a follow-up to Galaxy, but it was cancelled and never made known to the public.

2) They simply made the trademark to cover their bases in case the character got popular, so they could possibly use it when that time comes. You don't have to use a trademark immediately, or even at all.

This might not mean Rosalina is getting her own game, but it certainly means Nintendo at least had the mind to at SOME point. And if they wish to make a game for her, they can, because they already have the trademark.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Very weird that Rosalina got more dislikes than Bowser Jr. there.
Not really. Bowser Jr only has his standard detractors and even then most of them are fine with him since they can just use the koopalings anyway.

Rosalina on the other hand has her standard detractors plus the people hating her for being "op."

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really. Bowser Jr only has his standard detractors and even then most of them are fine with him since they can just use the koopalings anyway.

Rosalina on the other hand has her standard detractors plus the people hating her for being "op."
The ironic part is that Rosalina is "not" overpowered at all. They're just not willing to find her flaws, which are very obvious.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't call Rosalina overpowered (yet), but she is overpowering.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You can't deny Luma's U-Air killing at such low percent is dumb though.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Lol Poor Rosalina .

She is one of the few who didn't even reach the 50% of likes.

But i would agree that people choose to dislike her in there considering the other two characters with Most Dislikes are ...... well... :4diddy:

And the other is really obvious.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You can't deny Luma's U-Air killing at such low percent is dumb though.
That's only with rage, or if you get them really close to the top.

The former is the result of the game's overarching mechanics, the latter is pure juggling and if Rosalina's opponent is caught in that then they have themselves to blame.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You can say this is the reason why I hate Bowser Jr in Smash.
...I don't follow.

The entire reason Rosalina is hated in this game is because a lot of people find her too strong and/or annoying. I'm not sure why this is related to bowser jr. Bowser Jr. is actually usually hated more.

That's only with rage, or if you get them really close to the top.

The former is the result of the game's overarching mechanics, the latter is pure juggling and if Rosalina's opponent is caught in that then they have themselves to blame.
It's incredibly easy to get the opponent off the top. Firstly, because there are a couple of stages with low blastzones or transistions that have low blastzones, and also because most legal stages have platforms with the sole exception being Final destination. Final destination being an unpopular legal stage to even go to.

If I'm also not mistaken, double up-air is a true combo. Meaning that is another way of getting them closer to the blastzones. Then you also mentioned juggling which is another way of getting them closer to the blastzone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
...I don't follow.

The entire reason Rosalina is hated in this game is because a lot of people find her too strong and/or annoying. I'm not sure why this is related to bowser jr. Bowser Jr. is actually usually hated more.
The fact that the Koopalings are Bowser Jr.'s palette swaps may explain why Bowser Jr. has less dislikes than likes; the Koopalings are included for the Super Mario Bros. 3 nostalgia, while Rosalina is still a pretty new character.

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings don't exactly have well-detailed backstories, and are more like high-ranking generals than children to Bowser. In fact, the Koopalings aren't even related to Bowser, as it's been stated that they're NOT his children.

As for Bowser Jr., Super Mario Sunshine is the only time that we actually see Bowser have any kind of relationship with Bowser Jr., but after that, Bowser Jr. ends up becoming nothing more than an expendable character, whose role could easily be replaced by generic enemies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's incredibly easy to get the opponent off the top. Firstly, because there are a couple of stages with low blastzones or transistions that have low blastzones, and also because most legal stages have platforms with the sole exception being Final destination. Final destination being an unpopular legal stage to even go to.

If I'm also not mistaken, double up-air is a true combo. Meaning that is another way of getting them closer to the blastzones. Then you also mentioned juggling which is another way of getting them closer to the blastzone.
Air dodging through an up-air is entirely possible though. Also, double up-air is only a true combo at low-mid percents. And on really light characters like Jigglypuff and Kirby, it's more difficult to juggle them, since they can just DI.

Up-air is an excellent move, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's dumb, at least not without the rage effect. It still takes skill to use, and it's entirely the opponent's fault for letting themselves get into it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Somehow, I feel irritated.
They only "hate" her because they're too lazy to exploit her weaknesses, which has been staring at them across their faces the whole time. In other words, it's like they're saying they don't know how to take out Luma...or they just can't handle him.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be fair, it depends on the kind of player your facing. Trying to take out Luma can be your downfall if you're playing against certain kinds of Rosalina players...

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
They only "hate" her because they're too lazy to exploit her weaknesses, which has been staring at them across their faces the whole time. In other words, it's like they're saying they don't know how to take out Luma...or they just can't handle him.
I hope a majority of people only dislike her for being OP, not just because "She's wasting roster", "Bowser jr is better", "She's appearing in too many games" and we all the ones who really just dislike Rosalina should just shut their mouth up and stay away, or at least they should be polite to it's fans.
And... why there are some negative news and trifling arguments about Rosalina recently? C'mon, let's just stay calm, and love Rosalina.
To be fair, it depends on the kind of player your facing. Trying to take out Luma can be your downfall if you're playing against certain kinds of Rosalina players...
Yeah, most of players I face online aren't really good using Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH, I have never once seen a single valid reason for outright disliking/hating Rosalina as a character (i.e. not as in the context of her being a Smash fighter). Pretty much all of the reasons I see are nothing to do with Rosalina herself ("WALUIGI ISN'T IN MK7, IT'S OBVIOUSLY ROSALINA'S FAULT"), or simply take a quality about her that actually makes her great and sets her apart, and pass it off as bad for no reason ("ugugugugh the storybook was soooo bad it was so out of place lol").

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
("WALUIGI ISN'T IN MK7, IT'S OBVIOUSLY ROSALINA'S FAULT")
Literally nobody said or says this. Particulary because there were far worse characters to begin with in MK7 , Honey Queen and Metal Mario easily get the boot , but MM is far worse than HQ since he is just a reskin.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Literally nobody said or says this. Particulary because there were far worse characters to begin with in MK7 , Honey Queen and Metal Mario easily get the boot , but MM is far worse than HQ since he is just a reskin.
I used to think Honey Queen was worse than Metal Mario at the time the game came out, but as of now I think Metal Mario takes the cake as the worst character. The fact that his back in Mario Kart 8, along with Pink Gold Petch, makes it even worse.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
False, I have seen quite a few people say it. People placed the "blame" on multiple characters.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've never heard anyone say Rosalina was the reason why Waluigi (a.k.a. Wa-Loser) didn't appear in Mario Kart 7. Really, people like to make dumb*** excuses these days just cuz they don't like a certain character. It's like they got nothing else better to do in life.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I've never heard anyone say Rosalina was the reason why Waluigi (a.k.a. Wa-Loser) didn't appear in Mario Kart 7. Really, people like to make dumb*** excuses these days just cuz they don't like a certain character. It's like they got nothing else better to do in life.
I'll be honest here, I've actually heard people use that as an excuse for why their favorite character isn't there. It's terrible really. I don't see any reason to hate a fictional character in general. Sure people can dislike a character, but hate? That's just awful.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You know what? They can say whatever the **** they want, it ain't stopping me from playing as my all time favorite Mario character ever. If they don't like it, then too bad!

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Could it be because she (Rosie) has character features that sets her apart from any other Mario character? Like, having an actual past storyline? Maybe it's because Rosie has been given the 'royal' treatment whereas any other Mario character has been treated like any ordinary 'generic', 'cookie cutter' character, which happens to be someone's favorite character, and they just wanted to resent Rosalina because of it. I don't know...I could be wrong.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
TBH, I have never once seen a single valid reason for outright disliking/hating Rosalina as a character (i.e. not as in the context of her being a Smash fighter). Pretty much all of the reasons I see are nothing to do with Rosalina herself ("WALUIGI ISN'T IN MK7, IT'S OBVIOUSLY ROSALINA'S FAULT"), or simply take a quality about her that actually makes her great and sets her apart, and pass it off as bad for no reason ("ugugugugh the storybook was soooo bad it was so out of place lol").
No, there are some, the famous Rosalina hater has to be mariotehplumber, but we all don't care about him anymore cuz his reason for hating her is too ridiculous!
You know what? They can say whatever the **** they want, it ain't stopping me from playing as my all time favorite Mario character ever. If they don't like it, then too bad!
Even though they dislike her, we respect their opinion, but of course they should respect us too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom