• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hmmm.... Still doesn't convince me. I think it looks boring as hell, to be honest.

And it bugs me to no end that all characters' profile icons depict them looking at the front except Yoshi's, which has him looking sideways. I wonder why.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hmmm.... Still doesn't convince me. I think it looks boring as hell, to be honest.

And it bugs me to no end that all characters' profile icons depict them looking at the front except Yoshi's, which has him looking sideways. I wonder why.
Yoshi's nose is quite big, which is the likely reason for why his face is turned to the side.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298

I guess they don't want his face to be obstructed by his big nose. I think it makes sense, but it's out of line with the other character icons. Since Yoshi's is like that, the others should too.

By the way, the game looks better than Mario Party 9 imo, mainly some of the minigames look more appealing, the design of the maps look fantastic, and the character choice is good. I'm gonna get the game and play it with my younger brother and sister since they like this kind of stuff, just like me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess they don't want his face to be obstructed by his big nose. I think it makes sense, but it's out of line with the other character icons. Since Yoshi's is like that, the others should too.
Rosalina's hair bang does bring an issue in that you won't see her face very well if her face is facing left.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Rosalina's hair bang does bring an issue in that you won't see her face very well if her face is facing left.
I thought that would be an issue, however Yoshi is facing to his right, so if the Rosailna did the same, Rosalina's face would be just fine.

On another note, there's a Mario Kart 8 soundtrack for Club Nintendo members in Japan. It turns out Rosalina is on the CD.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sever...tendo-japan-mario-kart-8-soundtrack-and-more/

C3CC

Smash Lord
Yoshi's nose is quite big, which is the likely reason for why his face is turned to the side.
But in Mario Party 9 Yoshi is looking at the front... Oh well.

Rosalina is being featured in the second CD?! Not Luigi, Peach, Bowser, but Rosalina?! Get that spotlight, yo!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And to think that those who argued against her inclusion in Smash 4 was because "she was too new"/"not established enough a character", or "not popular enough"... :laugh:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, Nintendo is forcing Rosalina upon us. Im not saying its a bad thing but theyre making sure we dont miss her in the games shes in.
Not really, she is no more forced than any other character. She just appears in games and that's that. Only games they particularly hyped her up internationally were 3D World and Smash.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Not really, she is no more forced than any other character. She just appears in games and that's that. Only games they particularly hyped her up internationally were 3D World and Smash.
By even putting her in those games validates my point no? She could've just stayed a specific character for the Galaxy series but now she's even in multipile kart games, mario party, a secret character to a limited mario cast in 3D world and to top it off, a unique character for the Super Smash Bros. Series. It's not like she was an insanely popular character after the Galaxy series was she? Now she's becoming a steady part of the Mario family.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So here's Rosalina in the Mario Party 10 commercial for Japan. They are really using Rosalina a lot more in these commercials.
By the way, Rosalina's earrings actually move and they're not frozen in place.
Also, it turns out the father is a furry. :p I'm obviously joking.
Can wait to buy a Wii U some day.
You guys may have notice I seldom post comments recently, well it's time for me to pick a college now, I'm a bit frustrated...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
By even putting her in those games validates my point no? She could've just stayed a specific character for the Galaxy series but now she's even in multipile kart games, mario party, a secret character to a limited mario cast in 3D world and to top it off, a unique character for the Super Smash Bros. Series. It's not like she was an insanely popular character after the Galaxy series was she? Now she's becoming a steady part of the Mario family.
So I guess they are forcing Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and all of the others down are throats too then?

She was insanely popular. Even the Mario series creators have acknowledged it, and have stated it as the exact reason why she is appearing in games and being promoted into the main cast.

I also find it extremely hypocritical that Rosalina branching out of Galaxy is a crime, yet Yoshi branching out of Super Mario World is fine, Wario branching out of Super Mario Land is fine, Bowser Jr branching out of Sunshine is fine, etc.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly, Nintendo is forcing Rosalina upon us. Im not saying its a bad thing but theyre making sure we dont miss her in the games shes in.
It's too bad that the photographs in Smash Wii U hardly ever showcase Rosalina at all. In Challenges, only "two" photographs have Rosalina present, and the credits photographs only display Rosalina, IF you're playing as Rosalina; she doesn't make any kind of cameo in all the other character photographs.

Instead, characters like Mega Man (9/140 challenge photos), PAC-MAN (8/140 challenge photos), Villager (10/140 challenge photos), and even Captain Falcon (11/140 challenge photos) have been getting milked like crazy with their photo appearances. Even Peach (5/140) and Greninja (3/140) appear in more challenge photos than Rosalina.

Smash 3DS is also like that, as only one challenge photograph has Rosalina present, but Rosalina does make a cameo in one of Zelda's credits photos.

For a company who's trying to milk Rosalina, it did a very poor job of it for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I thought that would be an issue, however Yoshi is facing to his right, so if the Rosailna did the same, Rosalina's face would be just fine.

On another note, there's a Mario Kart 8 soundtrack for Club Nintendo members in Japan. It turns out Rosalina is on the CD.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sever...tendo-japan-mario-kart-8-soundtrack-and-more/
The CD looks so... luxury...
And to think that those who argued against her inclusion in Smash 4 was because "she was too new"/"not established enough a character", or "not popular enough"... :laugh:
Those reasons are really unconvinceable. Some perhaps really simply thinks her conclusion is too much, I can accept that. But for the ones who just dislike her, or even hate her for personal reasons, they should still take her for granted and respect her fans.
And a reason that no one can accept of hating Rosalina is "She is Hentai" by mariotehplumber... yeah... sorry to put this guy up again. Over the past few weeks I have a further research of this guy and have a debate in his video comments on Youtube (Yeah, there are some weirdos who still supports him), and eventually had a short comment on my profile.
In the end here my review of him: This guy is arrogant, weird, and too over condindence of himself. And one thing that I think you guys will agree is his abuse words on his both twitter and videos, this idiot couldn't utter three words without saying an offensive word.
At first I did had thought that he apologized, but after his recent videos, I really think he had took back his words. (I'm very sorry for putting this guy up again! I'm not with him, I just trying to see what's the prolem with him just out of curiosity)
You have to start college or you have to step it up by working on your homework?
Taiwan's high school to college enrollment is a bit anxious compare to the US.
I had mentioned that I had an exam this Feruary,the exam's grade is for determinte how many college you can pick, now the grade is out, and turns out my grade isn't good enough to enroll my ideal college, so that's why I said I'm a bit frustrated.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I also find it extremely hypocritical that Rosalina branching out of Galaxy is a crime, yet Yoshi branching out of Super Mario World is fine, Wario branching out of Super Mario Land is fine, Bowser Jr branching out of Sunshine is fine, etc.
I think people forget these instances all the time. I'm pretty sure back then (before Rosalina existed) people were upset about Daisy and Waluigi appearing in Mario games, but now nobody bats an eye (even though they were on a much smaller scale an pretty obscure). I honestly don't know what makes people perceive Rosalina is being shoved in our faces when that happens all the time with other characters.

For a company who's trying to milk Rosalina, it did a very poor job of it for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U.
I don't think that's really the case for Rosalina in general. However, I won't argue that Rosalina is getting a lot of the spotlight recently. I mean, she's on a CD for goodness sake. Maybe she's really that much more popular in Japan.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, for someone who's appearing a lot lately, you'd expect Rosalina to appear in more than just two measly challenge photographs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really, the only characters I feel are forced in our faces these days are the Koopalings - they were completely forgettable, easy, and one-note boss characters in SMB3, carried on that role in the NSMB series, and now they take up a lot of space on the Mario Kart 8 roster, as well as being playable in Smash.

I mean, over here in Europe, they're literally called "Bowser's Minions" officially. Like, seriously, I don't see why people have such a problem with Rosalina showing up in stuff and claim she's being shoved our faces, in light of how the Koopalings are shoved in our faces and everyone is OK with that.

Oh that's right, nostalgia.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Come to think of it, Bowser Jr. only appeared in "one" challenge photo in Smash Wii U. But he is fortunate enough to make three appearances on Smash Wii U's credits photos.

Challenges

Credits

But yeah it is very ridiculous how people have a hard time with Rosalina for being so new, and yet they have no problems with the Koopalings being present.

Amusingly, the Koopalings have been completely absent from the Super Mario series for almost 19 years after Super Mario World was released in Japan. And this excludes remakes and RPGs.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Really, the only characters I feel are forced in our faces these days are the Koopalings - they were completely forgettable, easy, and one-note boss characters in SMB3, carried on that role in the NSMB series, and now they take up a lot of space on the Mario Kart 8 roster, as well as being playable in Smash.

I mean, over here in Europe, they're literally called "Bowser's Minions" officially. Like, seriously, I don't see why people have such a problem with Rosalina showing up in stuff and claim she's being shoved our faces, in light of how the Koopalings are shoved in our faces and everyone is OK with that.

Oh that's right, nostalgia.
Only The New Super Mario Bros. series calls them Bowser's Minions, outside of that they are called in different manners, though in European French they are usually called Koopa Minions nevertheless.
And for that matter, European names are completely out of the character, for istance, Rosalina in Italian is translated Rosalinda, literally Beautifulrose (actually it should be Rosebeautiful because in Italian the adjective comes after the substantive it refers to).
Also from my experience, there are two cases where people complain about someone/something being somwhere
  1. They claim that he/she/it took place over what they hoped for(such as people claiming that clones took place over Chorus Men/Ridley/whoever
  2. They hate the w/e in the first place.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Only The New Super Mario Bros. series calls them Bowser's Minions, outside of that they are called in different manners, though in American French they are usually called Koopa Minions nevertheless.
And for that matter, European names are completely out of the character, for istance, Rosalina in Italian is translated Rosalinda, literally Beautifulrose (actually it should be Rosebeautiful because in Italian the adjective comes after the substantive it refers to).
Also from my experience, there are two cases where people complain about someone/something being somwhere
  1. They claim that he/she/it took place over what they hoped for(such as people claiming that clones took place over Chorus Men/Ridley/whoever
  2. They hate the w/e in the first place.
They're referred to as Bowser's Minions in Smash, and I believe Mario Kart too.

Also, I don't see how "beautiful rose" is out of character for Rosalina. I mean, she is SUPPOSED to be beautiful in appearance, and roses are associated with pure beauty. Also, roses live for a long time when left uncut or if tended properly when they are uncut. Rosalina is also seemingly immortal and has certainly lived for a long time at the least.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
They're referred to as Bowser's Minions in Smash, and I believe Mario Kart too.

Also, I don't see how "beautiful rose" is out of character for Rosalina. I mean, she is SUPPOSED to be beautiful in appearance, and roses are associated with pure beauty. Also, roses live for a long time when left uncut or if tended properly when they are uncut. Rosalina is also seemingly immortal and has certainly lived for a long time at the least.
I don't recall Mario Kart 8 ever mentioning the Koopalings together, though I recall a tip calling them minions, but I may be wrong.

It's possible that her name is an allegory, but I would doubt that primarly because no other character has an allegory as name when translated but are rather straightforward, for istance Luma becomes Sfavillotto, Sparky, while Polari becomes Nerello, Blacky, and in the second place because of several episodes where a name gets screwed up with another that has nothing to do with the thing himself, such as Impact Hammer translated Catapult.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yay! Game Translations!

In Dutch, The Koopalings are called Bowsers handlangers (Bowser's Henchmen) in the MK8 Direct (and I think trailers too), and Bowsers bende (Bowser's Gang) in Smash 4 (Trophy Descriptions)

Certainly better then Minions, but not ideal at all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
So I guess they are forcing Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and all of the others down are throats too then?

She was insanely popular. Even the Mario series creators have acknowledged it, and have stated it as the exact reason why she is appearing in games and being promoted into the main cast.

Responding sarcasticly isn't very nice but you obviously got my point as you mentioned other characters branching out. I never said it was a crime or a negative thing, In fact I really really like the attention to Rosalina, it upped my interest in the Mario series again, she's a lovely character.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Responding sarcasticly isn't very nice but you obviously got my point as you mentioned other characters branching out. I never said it was a crime or a negative thing, In fact I really really like the attention to Rosalina, it upped my interest in the Mario series again, she's a lovely character.
I wasn't responding sarcastically, I was applying your logic to other characters to show the flaw in it.

A character appearing in games =/= being shoved in your face, if the attention they get is justified. And for one thing, you really don't have to play as any specific character in a lot of these games.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
hey guys how are you
i ask for some helps to improve my skills
someone can help me also with a skype call or chat for a few matches or for any suggestion

I beleive that some strong rosalina mainer can give me important tips :D
my skype id is ballabio.alessandro

C3CC

Smash Lord
I just hope that she keeps getting important roles in the main games. I don't want to see her become a spin-off exclusive like Daisy. I also hope they stay loyal to her origins and don't ruin her somber personality. They went a little bit too far with that horrible voice they gave her in Mario Kart 8. At least in Mario Party 10 she's taller than the rest of the cast and she floats instead of running. Hopefully they'll keep doing things like that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just hope that she keeps getting important roles in the main games. I don't want to see her become a spin-off exclusive like Daisy. I also hope they stay loyal to her origins and don't ruin her somber personality. They went a little bit too far with that horrible voice they gave her in Mario Kart 8. At least in Mario Party 10 she's taller than the rest of the cast and she floats instead of running. Hopefully they'll keep doing things like that.
Her voice is the same in 3D World and MK8 though (and it's likely she will be in MP10 too, since it's using new clips).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Jester Kirby Jester Kirby : Unlike Shadow (who is an anti-hero), Rosalina has always been portrayed as a hero character.

You see, Shadow's backstory is much darker than Rosalina's, since he lost his best friend, Maria, all thanks to G.U.N.. And because of the incident, Shadow developed a huge grudge towards humanity, and would do anything to get his revenge on the humans who took Maria's life.

Rosalina's backstory is more peaceful, as she spent most of her life with the peaceful Lumas. And while she did have some traumatic moments when remembering her past, Rosalina never did anything evil.

Yay! Game Translations!

In Dutch, The Koopalings are called Bowsers handlangers (Bowser's Henchmen) in the MK8 Direct (and I think trailers too), and Bowsers bende (Bowser's Gang) in Smash 4 (Trophy Descriptions)

Certainly better then Minions, but not ideal at all.
At this point, the Koopalings should just be referred to as Bowser's high-ranking generals.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually think Rosalina's backstory is a fair bit darker than Shadow's. When you understand the undertones of Rosalina's story (Shadow's didn't have any really), the themes it deals with feel all too real and relatable, and I could legitimately see someone seriously breaking down if they read Rosalina's story under certain personal circumstances (e.g. after just losing a loved one).

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Hey wanted to introduce myself, names Lange and played Rosa since the game came out and really enjoy her. Just wanted to integrate in the dashboards Rosa community more and get to know the group. Thanks look forward to being apart more.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Her voice is the same in 3D World and MK8 though (and it's likely she will be in MP10 too, since it's using new clips).
I know it's the same voice actress, and it's weird because I think Laura Faye Smith did a good job in 3D World but a horrible one in Mario Kart 8.

someone can answer me pls :`(
Hey there! It all depends on what you want/need to know. Is there anything related to controlling Rosalina you're having a difficulty with?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Pretty awesome looking. :o
I just hope that Nintendo doesn't ruin what made Rosalina so special in the first place...
I don't think they lost track yet. After all, Captain toad's original plot was going to involve Rosalina being the one to tell the story through her storybook.

Next, Rosalina isn't being shoved down throats. She's merely getting the credit she deserves. :happysheep:

Lastly, I got an email last night apparently confirming my Shulk amiibo purchase. (Finally). This is important because I got both Shulk and Rosalina at the same time, so soon I may finally, FINALLY get my Rosalina amiibo. After so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom