• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Popular Melee Side Event?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It's been a long time since I've seen some Melee side events. Usually if there's anything besides singles and doubles these days I usually see some sort of crew battle, etc. I'm looking for an event though that people can enter as a third Melee event for Winter Brawl.

There used to be low tier tourneys and such, is there any interest for this anymore or would people prefer a different side event?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333876

dkuo

Smash Lord
i like cactuar stamina pancake
Cactuar Stamina Pancake Ruleset

1. loser of last match picks a stage
2. both players random
3. winner of last match chooses to re-random his character, his opponents, or pass.
4. loser of last match chooses to re-random his character, his opponents, or pass.
5. play game

repeat until set is over

*Note: if you random zelda, random again: if that random ends up in the bottom row you get sheik. if it doesn't, you get zelda. No transforming

Sets are best of 7 (stamina mode is 1 stock)

2 stage bans per set

RPS or judgement hammers or something to decide who flips first for game 1.
game 1 stage is random.

Banned stages:
temple
depths
icicle mountain

the rest are legal

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
low tiers, draft crews, falcon/ys only, character vs character crews, feather/fur ******ry vs sheik sausage, pizza mm

:phone:

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
honestly low tier tourneys are the best side event except for project: m. back in the day (before my time lol) they used to have those, atleast in EU. why doesnt it happen anymore? ;(

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see a Low Tier Tournament actually on youtube. As far as I can tell, they don't exist there. Low tier crew battles would also be really cool. Especially East vs West. It would be great seeing what all the top players would do if they had to pick up a low tier. And it'd be cool to see which low tier mains actually replace the top players for such a crew battle.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've never heard of anyone doing this, but I think it could make a cool side event. You seed everyone into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seed. All the best players (who are first seeds), are team captains. They go from 1st seed A to 1st seed F (or however many first seeds you have). F would be the stronger 1st seeds while A would be the weaker first seeds. Then going in alphabetical order, captain A would draft a 2nd seed player to his team. Then B, then C, and so on. Then once each team has 2 players, the cycle would be repeated starting with captain F this time. Captain F would draft a 3rd seed, then E, then D, etc.

Then once you're done you'd have 6 teams of 3 players. Just doing a simple single elimination bracket, you would have each mini-crew face off against other mini-crews. The 1st seeds would play each other, then the 3rd seeds would play each other, and the 2nd seeds would play each other for the tie breaker. I like this order because:
- It guarantees you will get to see the top players play.
- The 3rd seeds will get to experience "grand finals"-esque pressure if their crew is down 1-0.
- If it goes to the third game between the 2nd seeds, they will be a little more competent so it won't seem as jank as the 3rd seed match, but you are still giving players who don't normally advance far in tournament a fun opportunity to experience that "grand finals" pressure.

I think this kind of event would really be nice for locals because it really encourages players of different skill levels to support each other. Having new players teamed up with players they probably look up to is always cool, but unlike standard crew battles, there won't be any huge mismatches that take away from that excitement, and one good player can't carry his team to victory. The good players will feel motivated to help out the new/worse players in a friendly rivalry with other mini-crews.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I've never heard of anyone doing this, but I think it could make a cool side event. You seed everyone into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seed. All the best players (who are first seeds), are team captains. They go from 1st seed A to 1st seed F (or however many first seeds you have). F would be the stronger 1st seeds while A would be the weaker first seeds. Then going in alphabetical order, captain A would draft a 2nd seed player to his team. Then B, then C, and so on. Then once each team has 2 players, the cycle would be repeated starting with captain F this time. Captain F would draft a 3rd seed, then E, then D, etc.

Then once you're done you'd have 6 teams of 3 players. Just doing a simple single elimination bracket, you would have each mini-crew face off against other mini-crews. The 1st seeds would play each other, then the 3rd seeds would play each other, and the 2nd seeds would play each other for the tie breaker. I like this order because:
- The 3rd seeds will get to experience "grand finals"-esque pressure if their crew is down 1-0.
- If it goes to the third game between the 2nd seeds, they will be a little more competent so it won't seem as jank as the 3rd seed match, but you are still giving players who don't normally advance far in tournament a fun opportunity to experience that "grand finals" pressure.

I think this kind of event would really be nice for locals because it really encourages players of different skill levels to support each other. Having new players teamed up with players they probably look up to is always cool, but unlike standard crew battles, there won't be any huge mismatches that take away from that excitement, and one good player can't carry his team to victory. The good players will feel motivated to help out the new/worse players in a friendly rivalry with other mini-crews.
This actually sounds really cool.

This and the pancake thing.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
I think bones idea is very interesting, should try it out
provided there are enough players if each tier
:phone:

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see how a 3v3 crew battle mini-bracket would turn out. As in crews for different area codes or something similar. I also like the low tier tourney and low tier crew battle ideas.

EDIT: One more, how about four way falcon battles?

Impp

Smash Ace
I wanted to see a doubles tournament with team attack off. I think it'd be ugly, but worth a try as a side event.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
We've changed the CSP rules since the quoted set. We just do always random stages and no bans.

Obviously you can run it how you want but we found always random stages to be way better.

Since we came up with it we've been running it every local, and it quickly passed singles and teams as the hype event of the tournament. We decided to also add CSP teams (where a whole team gets flipped at once, with 1 flip change per team) and it's great too.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice

This is actually really neat...mainly because it doesn't involve limiting character selection by tier. As a complete amateur, I thoroughly enjoy this idea.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
After witnessing it myself at a Chicago tourney this past weekend, I have to go with Cactuar Stamina Pancake.

dkuo

Smash Lord
We've changed the CSP rules since the quoted set. We just do always random stages and no bans.

Obviously you can run it how you want but we found always random stages to be way better.

Since we came up with it we've been running it every local, and it quickly passed singles and teams as the hype event of the tournament. We decided to also add CSP teams (where a whole team gets flipped at once, with 1 flip change per team) and it's great too.
i was playing flip team friendlies at apex housing. **** is fun as ****

ah the censors are still here. neat

Ramo

Smash Cadet
Break The Targets competition. A couple bucks buys three tries or something. Money goes to a prize pot for that character. Prizes for each character after a predetermined cut-off point. Maybe same with home run competition?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Can't decide where to cut off low tiers I guess? It seems like most low tiers poo on the characters even lower than them.
anything below the Links sounds about right. Though I can see the issues, since of the 3 games Mid Tiers seem to do better in Melee tourney wise.

Top Bottom