• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

most essential basic fox tech's

Zodiac

Smash Master
Uthrow>Uair
Waveshine up smash.

That's all I got, what do you guys think are the most essential basic techniques for a fox main to learn and be proficient at?

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dash dance
Waveland
Wavedash
SH
FF
L-cancel
SHFFL
JC grab

Fox is a character where movement is emphasized greatly. If you want to be good with him, you need to know how to move with him. SHFFL is broken down intentionally - you need to know how to use the pieces of it too, not just the completed technique. All its pieces have their applications... SHFFL is just one form of attacking. Using its components individually and in different combinations gives different ways to attack and such... which is gravy.

An oft-overlooked skill is simply good timing out of your attacks (including throws). Being able to action immediately and understanding when the timing window starts opens up a lot of combat options you don't have otherwise (compare Fox that can dash ASAP after their SHFFL to Fox that can't... the difference is staggering). It's also the first step to building a sophisticated, effective punishment game.

Specific things like JC u-smash, waveshine > u-smash, and u-throw uair are techniques that expand upon the skills outlined above. But being strong at the basics will make these easier and give you a better idea on what they're used for.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
As KK said, any technique that boosts Fox's movement, that let's Fox move and punish quicker. Fox IMO is a character that should be played to crawl all over the opponent, and should be movement-heavy enough that whatever he's fighting feels uncomfortable no matter where on the stage he is.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
hey kirbykaze, why is SHFFL gravy. baiting?

i notice mango doesn't laser much.

also, after i develop those fundermentals, whats next? whats the next step in developing a sofistocated punishment game?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
hey kirbykaze, why is SHFFL gravy. baiting?

i notice mango doesn't laser much.

also, after i develop those fundermentals, whats next? whats the next step in developing a sofistocated punishment game?
Shuffle is bread and butter for every single class. If you can't shuffle, you cannot attack shields and exert pressure.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
SHFFL gravy is

1 part dair
1 part uair
3 parts bair
2 parts nair

Stir in with dash, shine, and wave-stuff for the recommended thickness

No heating is necessary, although almost everyone benefits from a warm-up

BEHR

Smash Hero
Picking up the controller,going to the character select screen,pick Fox,****,win,get *****es

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
U-tilt and soft aerials into moves. Regrab whenever possible in your combo, because it usually leads to good things.

Animal

Smash Lord
Shine out of shield
Wavedash out of shield
upsmash out of shield

Top Bottom