• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More competitive than brawl...right???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vro

Smash Lord
This brings nothing new to the table. You've just reposted old news and asked for more Brawl vs Melee debate. If you want more thoughts, lurk around and you'll find more than you need to know.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
melee on slow mo has more competitiveness than brawl, as there are so many more factors to take in to account. I don't know where this whole faster = more competitive argument comes from or how it makes sense. Seriously, can we go ahead and say tic-tac-toe is more competitive than chess because in tic-tac-toe people generally come up with their moves faster? No, because if you sit down and document every possible move option for both sides, and play out every possible game (which I did once when I was bored for 2 hours with nothing but pencil and paper), you soon realize that EVERY match will end in a draw if both players know what they are doing. This MAY be true of chess, but the MASSIVE amounts of permutations in gameplay make figuring every game out practically impossible, and allows every game to be different. I have played chess competitively in tournaments for 4 years now, and I don't think that I have ever played the same game twice.

The real things I think make melee more competitive would the increased sheild stun that allowed you to overcome sheilds with things besides grab. Also, light shielding added more options for the shielder and gives the offensive player more to think about. The fact that spacing can determine where your opponent is sent makes the ability to make large combos deceptively hard, as you need really precise spacing. In brawl, spacing doesn't matter nearly as much, imo, as no matter what the distance you are from your opponent when you connect with that attack, they can probably sheild grab you anyway. Also, combos are in melee. I think we all know that though. There is a lot more to add like edgeguarding tactics and a broader selection viable movement options opened up through AT's, but I'll stop here. That's my 2 cents.

I expect this to be locked soon though...

Eggm

Smash Hero
What are you thoughts on Melee's competitiveness. i think we should use melee for tourneys and serious matches and brawl should just be for fun. Melee is faster and WAY more competitive than brawl's slow speed. Post your thoughts about this and please no bashers.
I agree completley too bad the majority of people are idiots

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I agree completley too bad the majority of people are idiots
Thats because you'll get good in brawl without much effort and they're loving it. If they switch over to melee, they'll get ***** for months until they get decent.

I played my first versus brawl match a few days ago, and I just went random, and I beat a guy who's been playing hardcore since its release. Not cool.

Amide

Smash Lord
Brawl is more competitive, but Melee is a better competitive game. This is a point that isn't brought up much. Melee, SHOULD be more competitive, but look at it this way. If how complicated a game is judged its competitive factor, the 100m dash would be less competitive than Chess. There is far more competition surrounding the 100m dash than chess. So yes, brawl is more competitive because of popularity, and yes, melee is a better game.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I don't like that analogy. The purpose of the 100m dash is to be the ultimate way of testing sprinting speed. It tests the intended skill very well. Chess also tests the intended skill of tactical reasoning very well. Melee tries a wide variety of skills very well. Brawl was designed for scrubs to have fun in an environment where they won't run the risk of being beaten too badly. Melee is a better test of skill in almost every area, if not every area.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I believe that Melee had more skills to learn, some of which were not programmed intentionally, which made for an overall more competitive battle. However, I would still say that I prefer to play Brawl, although I do not always win in the new game. I like the addition of characters and stages; especially Custom Stages.

Amide

Smash Lord
I don't like that analogy. The purpose of the 100m dash is to be the ultimate way of testing sprinting speed. It tests the intended skill very well. Chess also tests the intended skill of tactical reasoning very well. Melee tries a wide variety of skills very well. Brawl was designed for scrubs to have fun in an environment where they won't run the risk of being beaten too badly. Melee is a better test of skill in almost every area, if not every area.
Yeah, Melee takes more skill, strategy, practice, mind games, etc. But that doesn't make it more competitive. Brawl is more competitive because it has more competition surrounding it. (Yes, there are more brawl tourneys than Melee)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Thats how I play it, or at least I take melee much more seriously than I take brawl during tournaments.

rhan

Smash Hero
TLink_King said:
Yeah, Melee takes more skill, strategy, practice, mind games, etc. But that doesn't make it more competitive. Brawl is more competitive because it has more competition surrounding it. (Yes, there are more brawl tourneys than Melee)
You're not making much sense.

Just because Brawl has more people playing it then Melee does not mean that it's more of a competitive game.

Amide

Smash Lord
You're not making much sense.

Just because Brawl has more people playing it then Melee does not mean that it's more of a competitive game.
If it has more tournaments, then yeah, it does. But most people don't see my line of thinking, so whatever.

Skler

Smash Master
More competition =/= more competitive. Being competitive means it is a good measure of skill.

There was a national Rock paper Scissors tournament once, the grand prize was something like $50,000. Rock Paper Scissors is not very competitive but it had a lot of competition (for that short time).

rhan

Smash Hero
TLink_King said:
If it has more tournaments, then yeah, it does. But most people don't see my line of thinking, so whatever.
More tourney's means nothing. It just means that more people play that game. Doesn't make it more or less competitive. The competitive aspect of both games are way different. They can be argued to a learge extent. I rather not though since the debate will only end in a flame war.

oldmankungfu

Smash Journeyman
In a house... in Miami,Fl Close to MD South Campus
more tourneys means that it's more popular than melee. i think that melee has a chance to survive if we take it upon ourselfs and make melee tourneys. im tired of brawl tourney were one guys who's being playing for a long a$$ time gets beat by someone who has been playing for 3 weeks.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
When I play Brawl, I sit back. When I play Melee, I lean forward. I played Brawl last week for the 1st time with friends who had it since its release. I picked DDD and got off some nice chain grabs. Then, I made the sad mistake of going offensive in playstyle. Bad move. I later won due to camping with shield grabs and Waddle Dees. I won, but I didn't feel like I accomplished much.

daisey

Smash Apprentice
definitely, i think brawl is mario party type fun with friends, but not good for competition.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm going to warn people who make Melee vs Brawl threads from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom