• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MookieRah's Lucario Impressions: Updated 2/7/08 @ 3:45 PM

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Nice vids.

It's about time a decent Lucario user popped up. His dair tricksies are definitely what I like to see. Dair is a great move with so much potential.

Hopefully more will show up. I hope to have a few taped on Friday and uploaded by the end of the weekend.

Probably versing Kish^2, KishPrime, and Izmo.

We are hosting a Brawl tournament this weekend. If anyone is in or near the South Bend Indiana area, be sure to check out our thread in the Midwest Forum. = )

Whatnow88

Smash Rookie
Central California BFC 0516-6973-7296 Up for anyth
Final Smash

I found this video of someone using Lucario's Final Smash witch I haven't seen before. He also really connects some of Lucario's attacks well. Here are the times of good stuff.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A8cEeD7x1Bo

0:50-0:55 Lucario at 81% uses Dair Pit 0% off the stage to the left.

1:20 Final smash

Sadly the video is against CPU and the Final Smash gets cut off but I hadn't seen Lucario's FS and wanted to post it for others.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
We are hosting a Brawl tournament this weekend. If anyone is in or near the South Bend Indiana area, be sure to check out our thread in the Midwest Forum. = )
Mangz, you guys are lucky. Being in an area that is populated with smashers and having access to someone with Brawl. This month is going to freakin kill me >_<.

I look forward to your vids though, as to you are someone who actually has Mewtwo experience so you kinda know what I've been talking about. Good luck.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Mangz, you guys are lucky. Being in an area that is populated with smashers and having access to someone with Brawl. This month is going to freakin kill me >_<.

I look forward to your vids though, as to you are someone who actually has Mewtwo experience so you kinda know what I've been talking about. Good luck.
Thanks, I couldn't even begin to imagine what you have to be going through. Fortunately for me, I have my Brawl thirsts quenched until release. Lucario is just so fun to play. I can't get over his crawl animation. It is so great.

I will get those vids up ASAP. We will have friendlies and tourney matches. The tourney is this Saturday. Friday, Saturday after the tourney, and Sunday are all day friendlies. So there will be plenty of Lucario play to be seen.

I am the only Lucario player in my group and have been picking him up pretty well. We will see where it gets me. We had a few tournaments through tournament mode, and most people just can't play Lucario's. He is just so good in this game. I have gotten the others to curse his name, so I guess that is a good sign. :chuckle:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
He is just so good in this game. I have gotten the others to curse his name, so I guess that is a good sign.
Haha, awesome. Well all the old Mewtwo mains probably won't have much trouble with him, considering Lucario doesn't look half as quirky as Mewtwo was. Our time has come guys XD. We'll win now.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Looks awesome. I played non-competitively in melee, but the way I've been seeing people play in brawl looks awesome (and I won't be a few years behind). This thread alone has gotten me very interested in Lucario, so congrats on another convert. Keep it up, looking forward to as much info as possible.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
On one of those vids, Lucario 3 stocks a good Pit player O_O
Yup. Forte knows what he is doing. The Lucario players prior to him didn't realize how much of an offensive juggernaut he was. Lucario has range, priority, speed, recovery, and control over his opponents. I've been saying this for a while now, but Lucario is definitely shaping up to be one of the best characters in Brawl.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
In some of the Forte vids it looks like Lucario can edge hop his Fair. Id be interesting to see how effective his other edge hoped aerials would be like Dair.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think that the Aura Sphere hitting Olimar was a product of the wave it travels in. It just bent down over the stage to hit.

-Oath

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
I think that the invicibility frames on grabing the edge may be shorter but I think that that aura shpere hit ollimar cuz his big head was sticking up over the stage. in one of the link vs. lucario vids, an aura shpere is launched at link grabing the edge but it flies right over him. Link however was completly under the stage except for his fingers while olimar's whole head was sticking up.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Either way, that really weakens Olimar's edge game against a Lucario...or any character with a low flying attack...
-DD

Dem0n

Smash Apprentice
First of all, assumtions on videos is cool - but this thread is turning into an obsession lol.
Second, STOP COMPARING LUCARIO TO MEWTWO!!!!. He's a completely different character. All of his moves are different and none combo anywhere near the same. Its like saying samus is a mewtwo clone because she has a charge shot and is floaty.
Third, Dont make assumtions on what he can or can't do just on a single video, ask somebody who's played before.

Lucario feels to me like he can be a combo king. I posted a seperate combo thread with some of my combos that i regret because i realized that so many people are gonna be copying what they see in videos like robots.

I would share techniques but that just makes getting combos off in a real match dull and not as satisfying as it should.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> I have played...

Mookie will be playing soon, and has gotten info from other people who have played.

Also, I strongly suggest editing out that "Second" part, before Mookie sees it and explodes.

If you were a competitive Mewtwo player, which I'm going to assume you are not,(as they are few and far between as it is) then you would realize exactly how wrong you are.
-DD

kaid

Smash Master
If you don't want to hear the nations best Mewtwo player compare a character to his main, I suggest you find another thread.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Second, STOP COMPARING LUCARIO TO MEWTWO!!!!
I'll stop comparing them when they stop being so **** similar.
Lucario feels to me like he can be a combo king. I posted a seperate combo thread with some of my combos that i regret because i realized that so many people are gonna be copying what they see in videos like robots.
Nobody will bother copying your combos. Most combos with Lucario will be freeform due to his power scaling and move decay. The days of preset combos are gone, and you my friend aren't as crafty as competitive players.
I would share techniques but that just makes getting combos off in a real match dull and not as satisfying as it should.
So by using good advice from other people it's no longer fun or awesome when you pull them off? That's not the smartest thing I've heard...
If you don't want to hear the nations best Mewtwo player compare a character to his main, I suggest you find another thread.
I'm no longer the best. Not even the second best. I passed my title onto Taj a good long while ago, and I quit playing Mewtwo for about a year. I've recently been playing with him again and while I've gotten better for no reason due to lack of play I'm still significantly behind the metagame. That said, there is still random **** I do that I don't see other Mewtwo players doing that is pretty **** effective.

Dem0n

Smash Apprentice
>.> I have played...
Also, I strongly suggest editing out that "Second" part, before Mookie sees it and explodes.
looks like i didn't get back in time lol.

Mookie, i didn't explain myself well enough. My friends are already taking some of my aerial tactics so it kinda got annoying. i've got approaches combos and pressures i havn't seen yet in videos, so i'd rather not share them openly in the beginning for my own reasons.

*edit*
Nobody will bother copying your combos. Most combos with Lucario will be freeform due to his power scaling and move decay. The days of preset combos are gone, and you my friend aren't as crafty as competitive players.
Oh yeah and i find it funny how you say that im not as crafty as compeditive players. I can gladly retire from Melee knowing i've never lost to a falcon in a serious match, tourney match or money match... ever. And no its not just another noob blabbing his mouth - i've beaten PC's falcon, G-regs falcon at the most recent VLS, KDJ, Hax, Azen. Pretty much the whole eastcoast lineup. Anyway, Combos in brawl aren't completely freeform, they all have the same base preset, they will only vary on how long or how you can finish them because of the decay. EX: If falco's pillar had reduced knockback every time you Dair'd, you'd have to end your combo sooner with a Bair or link do a different hit.*edit*

But please, back to what posting here is about and not about bragging on the past. Lucario and Mewtwo are similar in the fact that they have a similar Neutral B, upB and they kinda float similar, other than that, they are two completely different characters. Completely different combos and strategies to playing.

If you wan't info on Lucario just send me a PM or something - all i've been doing is playing lucario learning how he plays, combos, approaches, edgeguards, mindgames, everything from page 1 of the smash handbook - i'd gladly give some advice or info. But if arguing with me and calling me a noob is all you want to do then suit yourself - im only stating what i belive to be true through my experience with the game.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Oh yeah and i find it funny how you say that im not as crafty as compeditive players. I can gladly retire from Melee knowing i've never lost to a falcon in a serious match, tourney match or money match... ever. And no its not just another noob blabbing his mouth - i've beaten PC's falcon, G-regs falcon at the most recent VLS, KDJ, Hax, Azen.
Mangz man, my bad. I didn't bother actually checking your credentials before posting. It's just that you popped in here around the time I was trying to talk sense into someone that was ******** that set me off like that. I just simply assumed and it's biting me in the *** now. Sorry about that.

While I believe and realize some mechanics of Lucario are similar to Mewtwo, I more than likely have gone a bit overboard with the similarities of how they actually play. While the moves themselves are similar most (if not all) have very different knockbacks, either it being up and out instead of straight up (fair and dtilt) or just more power behind it in general (pretty much every of Lucario's moves). These slight changes make a BIG difference in overall play, and you were right to slam me.

That said, I'd LOVE to get some Lucario info from you. If there is stuff you are willing to tell me but not want posted I'll keep it to myself, but I'd like to get more info from more sources.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Mookie, nice thread, I managed to get my hands on Lucario last night for about 5 1/2 hours, in that time I dug up some wicked combos.

But you really have to mindgame people in brawl before you can get the good stuff that is "video worthy". My buddy recorded some of our matches and I'm pretty sure there are some good combos in them showing off Lucario's strength.

His dodging is very twitchy and makes for several mistakes before you get the hang of him. Once he puts the matches up, up I'll put a link here to show you, but you will notice that during several of my dodges I fire my Aura sphere the wrong way due to this twitchy dodge. Just holding the joystick over for a split second flips Lucario around after his dodge. It works well for quick attack though since you can dodge into them and fire your Aura sphere at close range without them noticing. If somebody lables that as an advanced tech then it will be called the Dodge Sphere:lick: Mwah ha ha!

And at a higher percentage, you will get some quick KO's. The damange increase of moves is much more significant than I thought it would be as Lucario reaches higher percentages.

Can't wait to get my hand on him again. He's tricky to use, but so far he looks like one of my mains.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
First of all, assumtions on videos is cool - but this thread is turning into an obsession lol.
Second, STOP COMPARING LUCARIO TO MEWTWO!!!!. He's a completely different character. All of his moves are different and none combo anywhere near the same. Its like saying samus is a mewtwo clone because she has a charge shot and is floaty.
Third, Dont make assumtions on what he can or can't do just on a single video, ask somebody who's played before.
There was a thread about comparing lucario to mewtwo, and I got in a big discussion with Mookierah, Dguy, Dark Dragoon, and a bunch of other people about their comparison.

What I came out of it was they are similar, combo wise maybe not but their attacks are similar.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Having played the game, and as Lucario..

Yes, there are several similarities to Mewtwo. They're not 100% different from each other by any means.

It's true what they say, Lucario's hitboxes are deceptive to both the user and the attacked... but he's so much fun to play :D

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
I would just like to point out that the video showing Lucario's Aura Sphere hitting an edge-hanging Olimar from on the stage (on the first post) is probably due to Olimar initiating some kind of action (get up, jump, roll, or attack, I don't know) just before he's hit. I just think it's a bit premature to start thinking of this as a new property of the move before trying to conclusively find out what happened.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I would just like to point out that the video showing Lucario's Aura Sphere hitting an edge-hanging Olimar from on the stage (on the first post) is probably due to Olimar initiating some kind of action (get up, jump, roll, or attack, I don't know) just before he's hit. I just think it's a bit premature to start thinking of this as a new property of the move before trying to conclusively find out what happened.
It wasn't so much a property of the move, as much as a new realization about invincibility frames on ledges.

Even if Olimar had JUST initiated some action, this is still a discovery, because there is STILL lack of invincibility frames.
-DD

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I just think it's a bit premature to start thinking of this as a new property of the move before trying to conclusively find out what happened.
My thoughts on that were purely speculative. Everything I see in vids I will thoroughly test when the game is out.

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
Someone please respond to this; I've been watching more vids, and reading more impressions of Lucario, and it seems like he isn't all that great. I AM CONFUSED! Please tell me that the people playing just sucked....

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I have only seen a handful of people claim that Lucario wasn't that great, and these are people that I have never heard or seen around the smashboards, so it's my assumption that they suck and their opinion doesn't matter much. As far as good people talking about Lucario, KishPrime recently made a post in which he placed Lucario in the upper portion of the cast, although not the top.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that Lucario is in the average section of characters. If he's too good, a ****load of people will use him only for his ability to do well. Besides, the less people using him, the more special he is for those that DO use him.

And to be quite honest, I don't choose characters based on how good they are. People can say whatever they want about a character be it good or bad, and I couldn't care less as long as I like the character.

In a month I'll know which characters I'll be fond of and which ones I'd rather stay away from. Hopefully Lucario will be one of those that I enjoy using.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I have only seen a handful of people claim that Lucario wasn't that great, and these are people that I have never heard or seen around the smashboards, so it's my assumption that they suck and their opinion doesn't matter much. As far as good people talking about Lucario, KishPrime recently made a post in which he placed Lucario in the upper portion of the cast, although not the top.
To follow up on this, I'd just like to point out that initial impressions, although very important, do not shape the entire standing overall. Marth was always considered "Good", but never made much headway through the ranks like he did until Ken redefined him.

=P Same could be true with Lucario, Good, but not the best at first, and then rockets up the charts when high skill levels are applied.

=P At this rate though, it seems to be true of ALL characters, because the field is going to be pretty square, thanks to the attack/knockback diminishing.

However, what WILL push Lucario to the top are the factors that
A) MANY of his attacks can be used in combos, and very FEW of them are not always useful. (For example, to approach, you can DashA, SHBAS, etc., and in the air, you can basically use ANY of his aerials to start a combo.)

B) As long as the match stays even, Lucario can continue spamming and using his Multipliers to push through the knockback and damage reduction.

C) He basically can only die from being killed. Not often does he fail to return to the stage when knocked off.

-DD

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
I totally agree with it. I looked over it and I really agree with a lot of the points that he made. I am pretty sure my Lucario influenced his place some. As I think I am the only Lucario player he has seen. Although, he did give Lucario a whirl for a while, so that definitely factored into it also.

We did get a set of me playing my Lucario taped. It was VS Joshu. They'll be uploaded to the database whenever Kish^2 gets around to it. :p

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWMRhSEnjV0
This video is very cool. There a few interesting stuff in it like showing how useful Lucario's edge hopped Nair is (1:06), he can fully charge his Aura Sphere when hes off the edge and still recover easily (1:03, 3:35), he has a legit grab combo Uthrow>Utilt at low percentages (0:18,1:26), he can Extreme Speed recover straight vertically down onto an edge (1:12, 3:10), he can somehow force momentum into his Dair (0:23), and his Fsmash is longer than Pit's Fsmash and intern probably a lot of other characters Fsmashes. Edge hopping his fully charged Aura Sphere could be fun too (3:48).

squarez

Smash Apprentice
I just played this game and all I got to say is WOW, this guy blows mewtwo away 10fold. It's hard to explain but the character just handles a lot better.

Top Bottom