• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MookieRah's Lucario Impressions: Updated 2/7/08 @ 3:45 PM

WFL

Smash Journeyman
HE IS TOO **** GOOD!

OFF TOPIC:
Also, ROB looks ****ing great. The new wifiwars vid begins to show ROB's potential towards the end of that fight. Marcus was discovering that he can literally fly around the stage.

So yeah, top tier being Lucario and ROB?
I definitely agree with that off topic because he can fly from underneath a stage in order to recover without using his second jump, plus most of his laser moves have small amounts of lag.

Concerning Lucario, he's definitely the right pokemon to put in this game to replace Mewtwo. Also, the only reason I ever went through a "considering to main Mewtwo" stage a month or two ago was because of his tilts and how they combined with his aerials to make creative and fun combos. Hopefully, Lucario will be the same way, while also working well late in a match when he has a lot of damage and needs to get one powered up hit to win the game, unlike Mewtwo who would get owned by light, floatiness.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OK guys, I've made an update on the Aura Sphere and the down smash. This crap is BROKEN! Seriously, take a look at it to see what i mean.

I also updated a portion discussing how broken ROB is as well XD.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Yeah I saw the vid with Olimar 20min ago or so and when it knocked Olimar off the edge I couldn't believe the potential of it. And the down smash has ridiculous range. And I was thinking of not maining Lucario.. Fool that I was.

off topic: I may also use R.O.B.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
So what is the deal with that mid-air stall he has when he does his dair?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
So what is the deal with that mid-air stall he has when he does his dair?
Thanks for reminding me! I meant to edit that in. I don't know why they did it, but I think it's amazing. It's a good way to stall, and it also makes his dair easier to land as it stays out longer while remaining in the same spot. This would work as a way to trick your opponent, who would expect you to come at him at a steady pace. Keep in mind, with these kinds of things you shouldn't overdo them, as they will just get you thrashed.

But yeah, it's definitely nifty.

Smash Ace
Wow, Lucario is really looking pretty good. I admit to still being a bit miffed that they took out Mewtwo -- he was one of my favourites, even if I wasn't that good with him -- but Lucario looks awesome. I'm glad to have him.

Thanks for this thread, Mookie. It's a good source of Lucario information.

Re ROB: chimp (one of the better ROB players we've seen in a video) said that using his up-b too much is risky because, if you are hit while using it, you cannot do so again for a bit. See here. While very flashy and probably powerful, I don't think that it will be nearly game-breaking.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Mewtwo -- he was one of my favourites
I'm sad too. I was hoping to retake my old title back from Taj and be the best Mewtwo in the states again, but that won't happen now :-(. It's alright though, my new goal is to be the best Lucario. and my quirky as Mewtwo play is going to slingshot my performance quite a bit.

But yar, thanks 2.72, you've quelled my fears of ROB's brokenness. Now it seems he is merely REALLY GOOD.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, Lucario for god tier. Does anyone know if the aura sphere's wave has to hit the person hanging from the ledge, or can a fully-charged, straight shot do it? Unless Pit or PT can compare to this, I think I've found my new main.

Also, Lucario possibly has the greatest down smash in the game. I am throughly impressed by these pics from the video MookieRah posted.

R.O.B. for top tier too, -Oath

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Mookie, if you look at about 1:32 in that Lucario vs Olimar video, you can see Lucario's back throw, and I must say, it looks insane. It almost kills Olimar at only 76%!

Sariku

Smash Master
Bi God for someone who has supported Lucario since I heard of him in 2005, and I am very happy you loved him so much MookieRah. But how much do you truly know about him...?

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Lucarios DS is amazing......that's just wicked! I'm gonna put at least 7 hours of training and testing combos before heading online and own people.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
I haven't had the opportunity to watch any videos of Lucario in action, myself.

For all I know this could be common knowledge, but has anyone been able to confirm if you can store his aura sphere or not? And if his up-b can be interrupted mid-flight?

Smash Ace
ROB's laser randomly has extra-strong shots, like G&W's side-b or Luigi's missile. Chances are that if you saw it absolutely own somebody, it was one of those shots.

By the way, it also has a recharge timer so that you can't spam it.

Source:
The laser beam takes a couple seconds to recharge. You can aim it up or down and it reflects off platforms and the stage. Randomly a very powerful laser will come out with higher knockback.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
That video convinced me...Lucario is made of pure awesome!!

All B moves are from the pokemon games...

Neutral B = Aura Sphere
Up B = Extreme Speed
Side B = Force Palm
Down B = Counter

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Mookie, Good news!
I've mostly confirmed Lucario's hit multipliers.
Which means, using that info, I can pump out a potential Meta-Game Plan, and I'll post it. Review it if you'd like.
Sticky it too.

A question.

Does having a higher percentage increase the damage of all of Lucario's moves, or only Aura Sphere?
The example I had was with Aura Sphere, because I didn't think it had a specific sweet spot.
However, I am almost positive that this applies to ALL of his Aura Based moves.(Which...is every single one, isn't it?) The only thing special to Aura Sphere with his multiplier is that it grows larger and charges faster.

Since it IS larger, you could use it to Sweep Ledges more effectively, even while playing defensively.

-DD

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Very interesting indeed. I like what I have seen of Lucario so far. Despite Lucario not being as cool as M2, he is proving to be a worthy successor. ;)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay! I had my friend do his DSmash multipliers now!

0%-13(1.0)
50%-17(~1.30)
100%-21(~1.6)
150%-25(~1.9)
200%-28(~2.2)

Keep in mind, his DSmash probably has Sweet Spots, so thats why its a bit different than the Aura Sphere's. Its basically the same though, capping out at 2x the Damage and Knockback.

Thanks to ro0kie42!
-DD

Smash Ace
Wow, that's a more significant increase in power than I had envisioned. Thanks for the stats, DD.

Lucario is shaping up to be an interesting character to play. I just hope that he doesn't have strong counters (probably characters who get early KO's). I think that strong counters (ie Marth for Peach) can really gimp a character.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
From what we've seen in videos so far, it just looks like those who fall faster and have good air games(Diddy, MK) have an "Advantage" over Lucario.
Of course, none of those Lucario players are listening to me, so I think thats half the reason they suck so bad.
Sorta j/k!
=P.
I'll post my Meta-Game Design for Lucario when I get around to typing it all up sometime tomorrow.
-DD

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I can't sticky stuff because I don't mod this section :-(. If I was to sticky something though it would be your Lucario database.
But how much do you truly know about him...?
This is all observations from vids. He is so similar to Mewtwo, so I can really see how all these factors add up. Sadly I don't have a copy of Brawl, so I'm waiting till it's US release.
it just looks like those who fall faster and have good air games(Diddy, MK) have an "Advantage" over Lucario.
I'd have to argue that with you DD. I say that cause both Diddy and MK have a hard time getting KOs. What that means is that they will have to deal with a super charged Lucario quite a bit in the match.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I'd have to argue that with you DD. I say that cause both Diddy and MK have a hard time getting KOs. What that means is that they will have to deal with a super charged Lucario quite a bit in the match.
Well, thats why that Lucario player sucks so bad XD!
Also, I hear MK's FSmash and FAir>B^ are decent finishers.

Diddy was just...
I dunno wtf was up with that.
>.<
-DD

Sudai

Stuff here
I don't think people have seen the potentially bad aspect to Lucario's charging with percents. Not only will you have to look at your opponents percents for combos, you'll have to look at your own as well. It'll also multiply the "Can't combo for a kill" effect that many characters had to deal with after about 130% damage in melee. Don't get me wrong, I think that the damage increase based on your own percent is freakin awesome, just pointing out potential downsides.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people have seen the potentially bad aspect to Lucario's charging with percents. Not only will you have to look at your opponents percents for combos, you'll have to look at your own as well. It'll also multiply the "Can't combo for a kill" effect that many characters had to deal with after about 130% damage in melee. Don't get me wrong, I think that the damage increase based on your own percent is freakin awesome, just pointing out potential downsides.
Too much power possibly a bad thing you say? hmm.

Yeah potentially, the increased knockback could affect his ability to combo efficiently, but I don't think that would be a problem.

I reckon by the time the opponent is at that level of percentage, you will be going for the kill with a single attack (typically) anyway.

Of course, perhaps the best way to get said kill is through the use of a combo. Don't ask me, i'll just be a poor poor spectator for a very long time (Europe =[...)

What I love most about this property though, is exactly what your talking about; the extra level of thought required! It requires a whole new mindset on how you will approach playing Lucario.

Will we see competetive players purposely allowing themselves to take moderate amounts of damage, specifically because their playstyle requires the increased power?

How will we see these players adapt and change according to the damage that has been inflicted upon them? It all sounds really awesome!

I think...

Dave

Fluff

Smash Cadet
ok.. so i read your thoughts mookie... and it sounds like Lucario is sort of a mix of Fox, jiggs (floaty), bowser, and mewtwo... which were my mains in melee... i know you cant practice for brawl using melee, but thats just to awesome! im so pumped about lucario!

Top Bottom