• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^That's the one I was talking about.

@Derp: Yeah, it's one of the most popular hammers out there. Ala hammer, though, I think, tops the list.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I use Switch Axes 90% of the time. I'll switch to LS if things get too boring (I'm the Mr. Spamalot who loves his spirit combos), and maybe Lance or SnS against Ala or Jho if I feel like it.

Currently, I'm learning GS. Hammers I just can't get the hang of.
Good sir, if I meet you online, prepare to be upswung and super pounded if you knock me down more than twice with your LS.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Good sir, if I meet you online, prepare to be upswung and super pounded if you knock me down more than twice with your LS.
I scared to play online now cuz I want to swing Long Swords D:.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Seriously. I put Spirit Combo spammers in their place. Lance rush, upswing, and super pound counter spam ftw. Like I said, I only do that when I get annoyed (2 trips in a row, or constant, but intermitant tripping) and that usually means the LSer is spacing wrong.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Haha, don't worry, I never use the LS on a serious quest. Serious=high rank. Unless we're mining or something. In that case, good sir, it's tripping and upswinging and super pounding wars.

Lance rush spammers annoy me more than upswingers or Spirit Combo-ers.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I use a longsword on only one monster. Jhen. No one can really get upset if you swing all over the place fighting him, and there are so many places to attack anyways, not like any real collision is going to happen.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
k so, whenever I play this game I always play with my friend online at my house. As in, we set up two big screens side by side and complete missions together, usually with no help from others.

Anyways, yesterday we finally got to HR31 haha
We play like once a week or less cuz we're busy s it took awhile lo

But now that I got to HR31 I don't really feel like playing as much.

What is there to look forward to now? I do wanna keep playing and find out myself I guess, but I'm also tempted to just play my other games lol

Gah777

Smash Lord
Dude, all the best stuff comes after HR 31. The best armor, weapons, everything.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
You only fought one of the three online exclusive monsters. There's two still up ahead, and they're both beasts.

It ain't over yet, dude. Stick with it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I was trying to get Bone Axe + before work so I can take down Royal Ludroth/Barroth/Gobul easier to get Long Sword. Area12 of Moga Woods, out of 6 runs there I've gotten 8 Malachite Ores, and 0 Killer Beetles with 2 mega bug nets.

The game hates me today ;(

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So I was trying to get Bone Axe + before work so I can take down Royal Ludroth/Barroth/Gobul easier to get Long Sword. Area12 of Moga Woods, out of 6 runs there I've gotten 8 Malachite Ores, and 0 Killer Beetles with 2 mega bug nets.

The game hates me today ;(
I think it's Volcano where it's easiest to get Killer Beetles

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah but, I'm not there yet, and I think Boneax+ would be nice for Barroth >.>

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yep. I just got the Classic set with MGTri for 50 dollars XD

Gah777

Smash Lord
Been trying to get used to the classic controller pro controls since I just got it with goldeneye, seems a lot better then wiimote was.
Yeah the CCpro is great for this game, especially for me since I prefer a more solid controller. When I first heard that MH was going to use the Wiimote I had really hoped there was some alternate form of control.

In other news, I haven't been on in a while. Anything new happen?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Dude, all the best stuff comes after HR 31. The best armor, weapons, everything.
There's still a lot of fun fights to come too.
You only fought one of the three online exclusive monsters. There's two still up ahead, and they're both beasts.

It ain't over yet, dude. Stick with it.
lol
Guess I'll keep playing. I DO still enjoy the game. Maybe I'll switch up my weapon to keep things more interesting though.

Should I go Lance or Switch Axe?!?!

Gah777

Smash Lord
why chose between two weapons when you could use them both? They're both great weapons and fun to play (but i feel this way about every weapon lol)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^What he said.

(Switch Axe...and remember: if ya ain't upswinging people every other second, you're playing the game WRONG. Play the game as it was meant to be played: upswing people. Especially HR100+ hunters who come in just to help you. They'll thank you for it. Sarcastically. But it's still a thank you. And THAT'S what counts.)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
hey man, well timed upswings have actually saved people. Most are completely unintentional but sometimes a player should just be thanlful for the invincibility frames lol.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^I know!

Whenever I have my Rathian set on, and a Rathalos roars, I upswing away the hammer user in front (who'se stuck in animation and susceptible to that follow-up fireball).

Oddly enough, sometimes, those guys just go all "wtf you upswing me for". I let them have the fireball in the face to prove my point. It's easier that way.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Especially when they get upswung off a cliff right before a monster dies and they don't have time to get back and carve.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
haha, that's too good

I should play this game again.

Gah, I basically have pierce and normal boost armor. What would you consider the ideal gunner armor, since mine isn't the best defensively

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
just got LongSword. Thinking as of now, get a Great Baggi set for LS. Maybe also use GB armor for SA/GS as well. Helps charge times out, and just use diffferent jewels for each weapon.

Gah777

Smash Lord
haha, that's too good

I should play this game again.

Gah, I basically have pierce and normal boost armor. What would you consider the ideal gunner armor, since mine isn't the best defensively
You probably know a lot of this already but, there are really good three "good" styles of gunning IMO. There's pure damage, support, and mixed. Damage gunning usually is based on Pierce shots and/or Element shots. Support gunning is based around Status shots, Health shots, Armor shots, etc. Support gunners also often cary healing items (Lifepowder) and traps. Mixed gunning is usually a combination of the two previous ones, but to a lesser extent. So, it really depends on what you mean by the "ideal gunner set" as there will be multiple sets for each style, and one is not always the "best".

It seems like, based on your current set, that you're doing a variation of Damage gunning. Having a gun with high firepower and capability to hold high amounts of Pierce ammo is essential as is having ammo catered to increasing the amount of Pierce shots you can load and boosting the strength of those shots.

I know that Diablos and Deviljho armors and Jho/Diablos/Great Jaggi gun parts are good for damage gunning.

Hey, guys, which skill sets should I be putting on my Lagi armor?
Is it just regular Lagi, and you use Switchaxe, right? Well, i'd recommend AttackUp or EvadeUp. You could easily get Evade+1 without needing a Talisman, or with an Attack+2 Talisman you could gem in AttackUpL. Any variation/combination of these two skills would be beneficial.

just got LongSword. Thinking as of now, get a Great Baggi set for LS. Maybe also use GB armor for SA/GS as well. Helps charge times out, and just use diffferent jewels for each weapon.
IMO using Focus on a Longsword or Switchaxe isn't very beneficial as there are better skills you could use with them (I.e. AttackUp, EvadeUp, ElementAtkUp, etc.) and the boost in charging speed for these weapons isn't really needed. Focus does help the Greatsword and Hammer though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Well see, I'm only at Great Baggi's atm. The armor set gives Focus+10. I have speed sharpener on the armor (Sharpen+10) I'd much rather have Attackup, but =/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I no like psp though =/ Does this mean people will quit Tri ? >.>

In other news, I got Lagi killed. Farmed half of his armor too. As much as I love Long Sword, Great sword is beast for capturing him.

Small area + obstacles = bad for SA/LS due to no blocking and meh evasion (GS's roll seems longer)

I thought GS would suck on him, but the hit and run tactic was perfect for capturing him. GS also breaks his horns/tail better too =3

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Some people will quit MH3 for MHP3, but I'm not so fickle. I can tell you though I might put more time into MHP3 though since it has more variety. That game is going to be the sole reason I re-buy a PSP lol.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Yea, there was the Super Alatreon. There's supposed to be a giant Gobul and Deviljho at some point too, and I think a several new arenas had come out in your absence. Deviljho and Diablos coins.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Some people will quit MH3 for MHP3, but I'm not so fickle. I can tell you though I might put more time into MHP3 though since it has more variety. That game is going to be the sole reason I re-buy a PSP lol.
Do you think Capcom will stop caring about MHTRI for this? I can't see that though, running a console Wii MH game with the newest PSP installment would be epic for them. Also I guess I can't see everyone leaving mhtri when it is console, which differs it slightly.

I hope not, because as much as I love mhtri, I won't play the psp ones simply because I </3 psp. (I had one forever, I can say that)

Gah777

Smash Lord
I no like psp though =/ Does this mean people will quit Tri ? >.>

In other news, I got Lagi killed. Farmed half of his armor too. As much as I love Long Sword, Great sword is beast for capturing him.

Small area + obstacles = bad for SA/LS due to no blocking and meh evasion (GS's roll seems longer)

I thought GS would suck on him, but the hit and run tactic was perfect for capturing him. GS also breaks his horns/tail better too =3
Meh, I probably won't get that since I don't want to buy a system just to play one game. Besides, the control scheme and feel will be different (CCpro has mor buttons :3).

GS roll is longer and has like 3-5 more milliseconds of invincibility than other weps (or something like that lol. I saw a vid on it).

Hit and run tactics are amazing with the GS. It helps you keep up your mobility, helps you not get caught in attacks (like you would with spamming the infinite combo), and lets you still dish out great amounts of damage (assuming you're using the draw attack lots since it's the GS's fastest, strongest hit other than a fully charged attack).

MH3 PSP discussion: like with all MH games, eventually they'll take down the MH3 servers once the population there drops :/

CAN'T WAIT FOR GIANT DEVILJHO!!!!

In other news, I played this game for the first time in a while. I had to remember the controls and almost got owned by an offline Rathian (not really lol, but it did take almost half of my health, unboosted of course. Usually I only get hit once or twice, but meh.)

Top Bottom