• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Ok, how am I supposed to solo with Heavy Bowgun? Or should that just be a 3-4 player coop thing...
It is difficult. Look up the monster weak points, and know the effective range of your bow gun. If you screen shakes when you hit the monster, you are doing the maximum amount of dama he with that shot. It takes patience being a solo gunner, and it will put your knowledge of the monsters to the test.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea downloaded the quests. Apparently the Akantor quest is for the Link armour.

I started it and both of my teammates died thrice >.< Had to stop there as I had to watch the Xenoblade X presentation!

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Wait, there was a Nintendo direct or something today? A Zelda quest and I'm still trying to finish story mode D:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yea downloaded the quests. Apparently the Akantor quest is for the Link armour.

I started it and both of my teammates died thrice >.< Had to stop there as I had to watch the Xenoblade X presentation!
I thought the Akantor was for the weapons.

Wait, there was a Nintendo direct or something today? A Zelda quest and I'm still trying to finish story mode D:
I feel you there. I still need to beat the story myself.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Not exactly. It was mainly a Japanese presentation by Nintendo and Monolith Soft about the combat of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I thought the Akantor was for the weapons.
Maybe so. I was not sure.

Well done with the story myself, the main high rank bit, just some more 10 star quests left like the Silver Rathalos and the Savage Deviljho.

Player-3

Smash Hero
akantor is weapons the triple monster quest is armor

farmed 6 fires for the bow but been gemstarved on gore for like 9 runs zzzzz

update, 17 kills in to gore magala i got my first gem halfway there boys

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
My internet was lagging too much so had to leave. Don't want to grind solo. MH3U kinda drained me of that, for now atleast.

Guess I will try tomorrow.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
How do I stop almost dying from the Gore Magala? How should I approach it if it's in rage mode?

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
At the boat stage or when you are further ahead in the story to hunt it down?
Further ahead on A. Steppe. Like I only got it by tranquilizing which the game suggested with the EZ Shock Trap in the chest. I had to use 2 mega dash potions for unlimited stamina (my dual blades are Cleaving Jaws), all of the first aids (all upgraded with honey), my 10 honey plus more natural honey, and more than half of my original amount of mega potions. I was playing safe too.

Armor is upgraded like four times at least.
Nerscylla head
Ditto chest
Unrusted hunter vambraces
Seltas faulds
Ner pants

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Further ahead on A. Steppe. Like I only got it by tranquilizing which the game suggested with the EZ Shock Trap in the chest. I had to use 2 mega dash potions for unlimited stamina (my dual blades are Cleaving Jaws), all of the first aids (all upgraded with honey), my 10 honey plus more natural honey, and more than half of my original amount of mega potions. I was playing safe too.
Hm, well I guess I'm not the best to give advice. However, I took my time with that fight. I would try to get the monster in a position where I could mount and do damage. In order to remove it from the rage mode I would get a couple of hits on its head and then retreat until the "horns" would break. In the end when it was exhausted I used a trap to remove it from its second rage mode and get the kill. I really spent my time just looking at its patterns and attacks so I could respond correctly. Also I couldn't get the kill the first time in.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hm, well I guess I'm not the best to give advice. However, I took my time with that fight. I would try to get the monster in a position where I could mount and do damage. In order to remove it from the rage mode I would get a couple of hits on its head and then retreat until the "horns" would break. In the end when it was exhausted I used a trap to remove it from its second rage mode and get the kill. I really spent my time just looking at its patterns and attacks so I could respond correctly. Also I couldn't get the kill the first time in.
Alright. Fortunately I did it on my first attempt no faints, but the struggle was real. Yeah I was mounting and everything but there's that point where you just can't mount anymore. I tend to get into it by its side and wreck havoc, but I can't afford any more Michael Bays and it's followups. I'm decently skilled, but you're just not allowed to make too many mistakes. Plus the potential of getting chain attacked is real and frustrating. I don't like running away because they can recover or even chase you.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
You can stop getting hit by Gore easily by sitting pretty much on top of his crotch, he doesn't have hitboxes there, so when in doubt, roll towards this area.

He becomes more aggressive in Frenzy mode, but if you keep doing damage, you'll knock him out of it. Save mounts for when he goes into it and wail on the face to not only break his feelers for a 100% chance for Gore Feeler in rewards, but also to do maximum damage towards taking him back down to normal.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Just got the new game. MH4U is too stronk. I can't get over how many times my eyebrows are made fun of.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
How do I stop almost dying from the Gore Magala? How should I approach it if it's in rage mode?
Like someone else mentioned, save your mounts for frenzy mode.

I use charge blade so I get all buffed and ready during the fight and then the moment he goes frenzy I am looking for that in to mount and then I run in, attack with r+a+x, A, then a again for the supercharged attack and It almost ALWAYS breaks feelers and either he is almost knocked out of it or is. The head is where you need to hit to unfrenzy him

D

Deleted member

Tons of googling led me to no avail, so will any kind soul explain to me what Dragon Treasure nets me? Thanks.

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
So much love for Monster hunter 4u right now with all the small optimization that was implemented

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
It's such a good game! D:
yeah my friend has already sunk in 110 hours into the game and I'm around 40. It loves to play off the perfectionist in me that wants to complete every armor set available :p

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
What other good armor sets are there? I want to both counterpick (fire vs ice, etc.) and have quite a few slots...

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Just finished my full zinogre armor set + great sword yesterday, and I'm inching towards 20 hours of game play.
I don't think I'll be able to put this thing down for a while hahaha.

Does anyone have any insight into what the best armor set and weapon are for a great sword user?

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Just finished my full zinogre armor set + great sword yesterday, and I'm inching towards 20 hours of game play.

Does anyone have any insight into what the best armor set and weapon are for a great sword user?
One skill to keep your eye out for is critical draw. I djnt think it's available in low rank, maybe highrank. It makes any attack out of sheath (weapon on your back) a guaranteed crit

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice

there's also a quick sheath skill available I believe. Also look into seregios weapons/armor because they have a self sharpen and constitution so it doesn't consume as much stamina when you evade

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Then there is the Focus skill.

Reduces charge time so you can charge upto level 3 faster. Obviously your charge sniping timing will have to be adjusted accordingly but it might give you more hits.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I will look into all of those! Thank you, friends. I have heard that critical draw is amazing for great sword users.

Also, I think I've decided that this installment is easier than previous games. I have 0 trouble with new monsters. I think I've been carted once. Though maybe that's because I haven't hit high rank, yet? I'm expecting to hit a wall at some point.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I will look into all of those! Thank you, friends. I have heard that critical draw is amazing for great sword users.

Also, I think I've decided that this installment is easier than previous games. I have 0 trouble with new monsters. I think I've been carted once. Though maybe that's because I haven't hit high rank, yet? I'm expecting to hit a wall at some point.
There are some Monsters who hit like a truck. I have never been so surprised when I faint than when fighting seregios. It's a fun fight, I love it. I am currently working on becoming him

Also can we talk about HOW much I hate zinogre. Always have, always will. He is the literal bane of my hunter existence.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
There are some Monsters who hit like a truck. I have never been so surprised when I faint than when fighting seregios. It's a fun fight, I love it. I am currently working on becoming him

Also can we talk about HOW much I hate zinogre. Always have, always will. He is the literal bane of my hunter existence.
I LOVE THE ZINOGRE. Its armor is so cool. I'm using the Zinogre great sword until I can get the Red Pincer one but I don't think I can get it till high rank? Not sure.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I LOVE THE ZINOGRE. Its armor is so cool. I'm using the Zinogre great sword until I can get the Red Pincer one but I don't think I can get it till high rank? Not sure.
I get my ass absolutely handed by him. It was just as bad last game.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I have zero problems with Zinogre, and all of LR was super easy for me. HR, on the other hand, took me by complete surprise (and I'm HR 78 on MH3U). That friggin' Daimyo Hermitaur destroys me, as does Cephadrome. Monoblos isn't too bad as far as the actual fighting goes, but it feels like a HP sponge like nobody's business. (This is all caravan, mind you)

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Tips on fighting Zinogre as a dual blades?

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
The Combos are real, that tail whip gets me everytime
This.

My top 3 worst monsters (including variants):

Zinogre
Rathian
Barioth

My best are
Nargacuga
Brachydios
And uhhh iunno. Nerscylla isn't too bad, neither is tigrex

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Tips on fighting Zinogre as a dual blades?
When going with DB, I focus on front feet, which break and roll him over pretty quickly. Then I work his face while he's down. After both feet go, I like to chase his tail for the extra carve. As far as general tactics, DB is great for him because of the mobility. Dodge like mad, and get your hits in while he's charging up. Just know when to back off so you don't get zapped. And never forget Demon Mode. You get such a better output, so use it often.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
When going with DB, I focus on front feet, which break and roll him over pretty quickly. Then I work his face while he's down. After both feet go, I like to chase his tail for the extra carve. As far as general tactics, DB is great for him because of the mobility. Dodge like mad, and get your hits in while he's charging up. Just know when to back off so you don't get zapped. And never forget Demon Mode. You get such a better output, so use it often.
Yeah I'm a SA/CB guy. My friend uses hammer and his 0 issue...probably because he can stop the inevitable super saiyan mode from happening as soon

Last edited:
Top Bottom