• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Soupy

Sage of Wind
How worth it is the most recent MH??? I plan on buying it no matter what, but I'd like more opinions. I'm a die hard great sword/lance user and so far, it seems like there's a TON of diversity in this game.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I usually wear a full set of armor to get the full benefits of it. I don't really like to mix and match armor like that. But the Tetsucabra armor should be fine for Gypceros.
Mix and matching although great to get a set of amazing skills that would normally not be on one set alone, really screws up the aesthetic of the armour. Hence I avoid it. Plus it is really a thing to do with G-rank armour since you get some skills that are not normally available on low/high armour like Handicraft, Edgemeaster, Unshakeable etc.

How worth it is the most recent MH??? I plan on buying it no matter what, but I'd like more opinions. I'm a die hard great sword/lance user and so far, it seems like there's a TON of diversity in this game.
The game is definitely amazing. Combat is faster paced, monsters have more breakable parts and there are tons of monsters. From Gen 1 to Gen 3 (the least represented in my opinion) with awesome additions from Gen 4 as well (Najarala, Seltas Queen, Gore Magala and Seregios come to mind).

Great graphics, fluid vertical combat with mounting monsters as a new mechanic. Some monsters have great concepts. Expeditions are DIFFERENT from Moga Woods and storyline is more engaging. More towns rather than a single village. Online is more streamlined although there is no keyboard chat during a quest. Plus 14 weapons to choose from and 75 monsters to kill!

Love the Lance and GS myself (didn't quite learn GS sniping yet) although this game I have been using the IG a lot. Gotta love that harvesting fluids, Kinsects and the pole vault type move.

Interestingly enough I have yet to meet a Lance and GS user online.

Got a bit sidetracked there. Conclusion: MUST HAVE Monster Hunter!

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Ohhhhhhhhhh goodness SO MUCH HYPE haha. The sheer amount of monsters is what makes me want to get it so much. I should hopefully have it by next week if my taxes come back soon.

Really? That's interesting. I'm all about the lance and GS. The IG looks really cool though! I use the hunting horn whenever I have actual parties online though, just because it's such a nice thing to have haha.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
To offer an additional opinion, this is my first MH game. A lot of people have been telling me that this might be the hardest installment in the series but I'm enjoying it and its challenge. I'm not really good at the game but hunting monsters and handing in quests is always fun.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lance, Hunting Horns, and Heavy Bow Guns are three of the least used weapons I see online.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'm having trouble facing the dragon that appears as soon as I get the ship. Any tips on this fight? I can't seem to evade its attacks successfully.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm having trouble facing the dragon that appears as soon as I get the ship. Any tips on this fight? I can't seem to evade its attacks successfully.
Gore Magala? Stay close to it. Like, to its side. If you can, try using as cannonballs as much as possible for easy damage, and if Gore goes to the front of the ship, be sure to use the drill to do some good damage. If Gore hits you, you will slowly start becoming infected with the virus. If you become infected, you will take more damage from Gore's attacks, which makes the fight much more difficult. However, if you attack the Gore enough while you are becoming infected, you can fight off the infection, and get a critical hit bonus for 30 seconds, and you won't be able to be infected by his attacks for a short time.

The fight can be difficult since you have very little room to work with, so keep at it.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Gore Magala? Stay close to it. Like, to its side. If you can, try using as cannonballs as much as possible for easy damage, and if Gore goes to the front of the ship, be sure to use the drill to do some good damage. If Gore hits you, you will slowly start becoming infected with the virus. If you become infected, you will take more damage from Gore's attacks, which makes the fight much more difficult. However, if you attack the Gore enough while you are becoming infected, you can fight off the infection, and get a critical hit bonus for 30 seconds, and you won't be able to be infected by his attacks for a short time.

The fight can be difficult since you have very little room to work with, so keep at it.
Thanks. So the ballista's are not something I should be using in the battle? They seem like a liability really, but since the game kept saying to use them...

Soupy

Sage of Wind
To offer an additional opinion, this is my first MH game. A lot of people have been telling me that this might be the hardest installment in the series but I'm enjoying it and its challenge. I'm not really good at the game but hunting monsters and handing in quests is always fun.
Wow, really? That's a new one. I'm so down for that, though. I love a good monster hunting challenge.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hardest? You sure?

Or maybe the singleplayer is too easy in the early stages considering the last story boss (low rank) fell in 10 mins. To be honest I was disappointed as I felt that the fight was just heating up and then it winds up dead >.< And I did not have a high rank armour.

Well high rank quests are still more challenging.

The game is still really great though. And sometimes mounting the monster out of nowhere or doing some extremely cool maneuver using the new vertical combat feels great. Like using the Kinsect to make a Rathian fall when it is fleeing. The only thing that beats that (in my opinion) is using an upward slash with gunlance and then shell to deal the final blow :)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That's what others have been telling me. I can't judge on that since MH4U is my first MH game.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Well, tbh, I haven't really considered MH games to be difficult until high and G-rank stuff, so I'll just judge by that. No matter what though, I feel like I'll enjoy it.

I had like 250-300 hours into MHTri and that one only had like 18 large monsters in it haha.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Is strafing, circling, and pulling off For Glories generally a good habit?

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well, tbh, I haven't really considered MH games to be difficult until high and G-rank stuff, so I'll just judge by that. No matter what though, I feel like I'll enjoy it.

I had like 250-300 hours into MHTri and that one only had like 18 large monsters in it haha.
Yea G rank is one where soloing gets tougher. Even with maxed out weapons.

My 699 hours (yes I am one hour short >.<) are a testament to that since 500 of those would be on G rank solo farming monsters for their weapons and armours.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Yea G rank is one where soloing gets tougher. Even with maxed out weapons.

My 699 hours (yes I am one hour short >.<) are a testament to that since 500 of those would be on G rank solo farming monsters for their weapons and armours.
That is 100% understandable. I can't wait to get into G-rank! Time to stack up those hours~
Since it's portable, I feel like this will be my only DS game for the entire year haha.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
That is 100% understandable. I can't wait to get into G-rank! Time to stack up those hours~
Since it's portable, I feel like this will be my only DS game for the entire year haha.
Yea the reason I had so many hours was because it was on 3DS so I had to everything solo.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Thanks. So the ballista's are not something I should be using in the battle? They seem like a liability really, but since the game kept saying to use them...
As for the ballista, I wouldn't recommend using them, since you are stuck in place trying to aim at a pretty mobile monster.

As for the game's difficulty, I would say that the Low Rank stuff is intentionally easy. After all, in my opinion, the real fun doesn't begin until High Rank.

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
Please note:
Nice more monster hunter people. Anyone enjoy the transforming axe, I loved that weapon to death. Not sure if its in monster hunter 4 3ds cause i dont have but will get the 4rth game eventually. I will update for seeking member when i do get it for 3ds. I also use the katana,gun lance and great sword. Need to mix it up so i dont get board of my favorite weapons.

A ****ing epic trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGUDlfKRdM

So one of my major goals for this thread, besides wanting to interest new players, will be to give people who will be going online a place to find teammates with whom they can associate (even if only slightly) via being part of this community here. And while I'm sure there will be or is a very similar type of forum dedicated to MH3 which will surely be more useful than this jury-rigged thread, I would like to (once April 20th rolls around) allow any member who got their "hunting license" to feel free to post their hunter name and ID# here so I can make a list of willing online players looking for more party members.

Monster Hunter is a series of games whose genre is essentially tactical hack-and-slash. One starts off small--inexperienced but determined. Through various missions presented to you, you're asked to help out npc's who are in need of a hunter's skills. Some quests have you finding rare items, retrieving dangerous ones, but most imporantly, slaying monsters (via the justification of things like "Stop them from terrorizing our village/herds!" or "This beast attacked our caravan, help us!"
One of the major appeals of this game is the development of your character. Not only can you customize (to an extent) your appearance but you're given an enormous amount of options from what kind of hunter type you want to be. There are many different weapons (each with their own varieties) as well as armor you can make, and all by making use of the monsters you slay (think of it as respectfully not letting any of the monsters go to waste :p). All of which you'll be able to apply online with 3 other people, not to mention split screen.

I. It was originally intended to be a PS3 title but due to high production costs, they "took a step down" to the Wii.

II. A new dimension of battle and exploration is possible via underwater potential! One can attack and move normally and ascend and descend with corresponding camera movement up or down.

III. While hours of fun can be had offline, much more content can be delved into online allowing 4-player co-op, which:
--A. Is free. There are no online subscription fees.
--B. Supports Wii Speak, which I imagine will make fighting as a team MUCH more smooth.
--C. Doesn't use Wii friend codes but is rather hosted by Capcom. You'll get your own code and can make your own name, either of which allow players online to find you.

(While it may only be trivia):
-MH3 is Japan's best selling third-party Wii game.
-Weekly Famitsu, a major Japanese videogame magazine, has given MH3 a 40/40, a score that's only been given 12 other times since 1998 (make of that what you will as others on their list are kinda questionable :embarrass:). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu

So as to interest potential players:

The Sword and Shield. A basic style. Popular for its flexibility in adapting to many different situations and for its high maneuverability.

The Great Sword. Possesses the greastest destructive power and the longest reach out of all weapons, and can be used to block in place of a shield. The key is figuring out how to make up for its loss in speed.

The Hammer. A melee weapon that sacrifices defense to focus purely on offense. Charge up its power to unleash a variety of techniques that will send monsters to an early grave.

The Lance. With the advantage of an impenetrable shield, strike your foe down with your long, deadly fang from afar.

The Longsword. With beauty in its strength, this spirited blade slices through steel like paper. (Can raise its attack power by building up hits.)

The Switch Axe. New technology has brought forth a miraculous new weapon of phantasmogoric might. (That's right, phantasmogoric. Can transform from an axe to a sword with a limited supply of phials.)

(descriptive blurbs provided by Capcom's MH3 Player Guide)

A NOTE OF IMPORTANCE:
In online play, you're around other people. And while your attacks may not hurt them, they do indeed go through the animations of being hit. Mashing (the term I use (anyone else?) for when the team ***** a monster that has been disabled via traps or paralyizing etc.) is extremely hindered if a member has just launched 2 other players in the air. USE WEAPON ETIQUETTE:

Greatsword users: Please do not upswing when next to other players.

Sword and Shield users: Tbh, the range is small enough to where if someone gets hit by you, it's probably their fault. :p

Longsword users: Please keep in mind, your weapon has notable horizontal range and is very capable of stopping several players at once.

Lance users: Please make sure no one is already in your path when you begin to charge.

Hammer users: Please don't use your power attacks (Golf Swing and Mega Pound) or draw attack when right next to other players.

Switch Axe users: Same advice as Greatsword users I guess.

Bowgun users: Please do not use Pellet S if other players are anywhere on the screen. You are exempt when taking out lots of minions.

EVERYONE: If someone with a big weapon is already mashing a spot, let them use their power attacks, they got there first. Everyone is just as responsible for not getting in the way of larger attacks as they are for not using them haphazardly.

Thank you.

YOUR FELLOW SMASHER-HUNTERS

Name: DerpDB
ID#: -

Name: Bowserla
ID#: 4LZEMX

Name: LoBoBoBo
ID#: C7CG7J

Name: Insetick

Name: Zigsta

Name: SSB Fan
ID#: FQN8K2

Name: Jane
ID#: 6TNK16

Name: Masamune
ID#: 2J2TT6

Name: Wolfang
ID#: 28RHPJ

Name: Juwan
ID#: KKGKK3

Name: Hatter
ID#: QC73N2

Name: Rikana

Name: Arturo
ID#: 85C886

Name: coY
ID#: JPWYFX

Name: Giga

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
He's quoting the OP.
HA, that makes too much sense!

I DO play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate if anyone wants to play sometime. Never tried online yet, as I've been mainly sticking to story quests. Right now I'm trying to unlock the first Tigrex hunt so I can farm for my gunlance upgrade.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
if anyone wants to play I got a room up with @Aeroflos aerodrome w/e it is this second!

gathering hall id: 66-1425-6938-6535
passcode 3333

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm now calling him Aero Floss forever

-

I promise I'll get less bad so I can hunt with guys once day.
I find it better that you play online with people who can help you out. If you can, skype works wonders in the fact that people can explain in more detail on what you should be doing/looking out for.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
if you guys play let me know and I should be around :3

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
does anyone know if gunlance is in mh4 and if its been improved since the psp version of it. Or what weapons in general are available in mh4 3ds? Im too broke to get it right now. I lost to many king of fighters tournaments and had to sell my panther. Never seen homeless rugal before right? Well here I am. All joke aside, Im very curious on the weapon selection. Do cats get mario or luigi armor too? Wonder if nintendo let them use stuff.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
does anyone know if gunlance is in mh4 and if its been improved since the psp version of it. Or what weapons in general are available in mh4 3ds? Im too broke to get it right now. I lost to many king of fighters tournaments and had to sell my panther. Never seen homeless rugal before right? Well here I am. All joke aside, Im very curious on the weapon selection. Do cats get mario or luigi armor too? Wonder if nintendo let them use stuff.
Gunlance idk. There's 14 classes, 11 bladesmaster and 3 gunner. Basically standard, heavy, light/defenseless, range, and strategic. Your Palico (cat) can get either the Mario or Luigi armor if you download the first DLC pack during the first month after launch? The armor is pretty good too.

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
Gunlance idk. There's 14 classes, 11 bladesmaster and 3 gunner. Basically standard, heavy, light/defenseless, range, and strategic. Your Palico (cat) can get either the Mario or Luigi armor if you download the first DLC pack during the first month after launch? The armor is pretty good too.
Thats funny cause I was just guessing on mario and luigi armor. Did not know it was real. Now Im more excited than ever for mh4. Thanks,very helpful info.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Thats funny cause I was just guessing on mario and luigi armor. Did not know it was real. Now Im more excited than ever for mh4. Thanks,very helpful info.
There is also Legend of Zelda and Metroid themed armor and weapons for your Hunter. And a Megaman set of armor for your Palico. As for the the Gunlance, this video can help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcOKIvrWUL0

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Can't wait for the dlc so I can kick the people who cart in heroes clothes and spam Cia quotes
I am waiting on the Metroid events. Then I'll just shout THE BABY! at the top of my lungs, and call every dragon Ridley, mentioning that he is too big. =P

No, but really, I just want Metroid stuff.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Ok, how am I supposed to solo with Heavy Bowgun? Or should that just be a 3-4 player coop thing...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So we (@boozer) encountered our first hacker today, a HR 6 player with at least 3 Rare 10 Creator Talismans with impossible skill points like:

+10 Fencing, +10 Fast Charge OOO

and

+10 Edgelore, +10 Arcana OOO

I really didn't think these people existed but my sense of justice is overwhelmingly disgusted. Sorry you had to see that display @ Locuan Locuan , but I cannot sit idle when people cheat in video games that I love!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Is there any penalty of some sort to deal with hackers in this game? I haven't gotten around to picking this up yet.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
They're very few and far between, this is the first one I've seen in like, 50 hours of online gameplay, granted I normally just play with friends.

Top Bottom