• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monk/Honkey/Banana Tournament Advice Hotline

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Welcome everyone to the Monk Advice Hotline Thread. The purpose of this thread is to re-introduce the idea of basically...a smash coach...someone that can advise you of ways to fix your game and mindset. I created this thread as a means to help boost tournament performance for Mario players...because apparently Mario needs to be repped harder in tournaments.

Now you probably have a few questions

1) Who are you...and why should I care?

I'm Monk...I've been going to tournaments since 06 and I have always used Mario....When brawl came out I was the original Mario (next to Boss of course). I have participated in quite a few large Florida tournaments...and placed fairly well in them (16th out of 100 and stuff like that). Now then...why should you care? I honestly don't know...but if you're placing poorly at tournaments and you don't want to grab the hand reaching out to help you...that's you're own problem....

2) So this is a hotline...can I call you?

Yes, if you post in this thread that you need help...and you would like to call me...then I will get in contact with you through PM or another preferred form of communication and give you my number

3) What if I don't want to call you?

I understand some people are a little hesitant on calling some guy from the internet for smash help so if you would rather not call me I have created an AIM account specifically for the purpose of helping people(TheMarioMentor)....you can contact me there.

4) Which form of communication would you prefer

I personally would prefer if people contacted me through phone...I believe that there is a more personal connection when you hear someone's voice...but besides that I really have no preference

5) Who have you helped in the past?

If I recall correctly...the only two people that used my hotline for advice before were...BO X7 and Hippie...and if you want to know their opinion on it...just ask them

6) I don't feel like sifting through the thread for your AIM info...where can it be found?

At the very bottom of the thread

7) I am a Mario player that doesn't need help...but would also like to offer my mentor services...can I do that?

I would like some help...if you are interested in that...contact me
---

now then...some rules

1) Please...do not give out my number to your friends that need help...if they want advice... have them contact me through the AIM account or a PM

2) Don't give out my number to random people off the street...I mean...that's just plain rude

3) Times that are listed in this thread for my schedule are going to be EST...if you're in a different time zone...you'll have to figure it out before calling...or talk to me on AIM
---

the schedule(Will be constantly updated)

Saturday - Anytime after 1:00 PM
Sunday - Anytime after 2:30 PM
----

Contact Methods

Phone # - Available on request
AIM - TheMarioMentor

FoxFatal

Smash Rookie
Dude I personally have mained Mario since the original Super Smash Bros but these days people are always trashing him. I'm really good (I think) but I wanna get better...like tourney good. Then, Marios everywhere can rub it in the faces of those who are tier scrubs :D

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
O shiz. l just saw this LOOOOOOOL.

Yo kids real talk, I remember starting out fresh and newb from the tourney scene, if there was something like a form excitment or nervousness or just needed someone to talk to after scoring that 3 stock on a pro, Monk is your man seriously.

I can def vouch for him and def legit status, he may be MIA but hes veteran years def show his glory.

SHOW'EM G!!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Then Monk, allow me to indulge you.

I've been attending tournies for about two years now, and yet I still get 'tournament jitters'. What's the best way to stay relaxed/not stress at a tournament/during a match (Especially if you start losing said match)?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Then Monk, allow me to indulge you.

I've been attending tournies for about two years now, and yet I still get 'tournament jitters'. What's the best way to stay relaxed/not stress at a tournament/during a match (Especially if you start losing said match)?
Before the brackets are up and everything...take a few minutes to talk to someone there you're close to(teammate, smashers you hang with, etc..), just joke around and keep a positive mentality, get some friendlies in...and not just with people you're familiar with...play with everyone possible...it will allow you to open up and feel connected with the whole tournament...

during brackets, don't get shook up by anything...if you see you're paired up against a really bonkers player round 1 don't let it get you down...that's just how the seeding worked...just go into the match with what you know and do your best...

during a match try to control your breathing.... for starters just take deep breaths and just think about whatever you can about the match...reassure yourself you know your character, you know the level, you know your opponent's character...mainly just don't lose your cool...take whatever time you can to figure everything out in game...if you can't go near your opponent just stay on the other side of the level camping until you can figure something out...

don't let every mistake beat you up...you counterpicked wrong in round 1 and lost...or you just SD'd at 0%...don't carry that with you through the tournament or that match it will affect your performance

also...water is your best friend in between rounds and matches

hopefully that was useful to you

SKidd

Smash Master
I have a few problems like that, and I'll keep those in mind.

FoxFatal

Smash Rookie
I have a question, Monk. Is fair ever a good option for anything? I mean I use it for spikes sometimes to show off, but does it have any practical use?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have a question, Monk. Is fair ever a good option for anything? I mean I use it for spikes sometimes to show off, but does it have any practical use?
If you KNOW it's going to hit, then go for it. It is technically Mario's highest damage aerial, and meteoring someone on stage is a good way to either set up juggles or perhaps spike them into the ground for a techchase (they could tech it, but they probably won't. The probably will also do something extremely silly like roll towards you by accident).

Edgeguarding with it is quite rewarding as well. Rarely practical. Also you can platform pressure with F-air a bit. The hitbox does reach above Mario.

May sound noob-ish, but can you use bair to approach from the front? Does mario's head act as a hitbox for instance?
Hero summed it up.

At the right percents, this can be an interesting way of starting combos, but U-air is usually better if you're approaching forward.

FoxFatal

Smash Rookie
:)Thank you Hero and A2ZOMG. I ask because I am attempting a down throw, uair, nair, utilit, bair combo. I like trying to create new ones.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Here's a very very important tip fro me... Do not. AND I MEAN DO NOT watch the first Do the Mario and get the mindset that's how Mario should be played! xD

Sometimes I feel obligated to blame myself when I fight Marios who only approach with Uair xD

Top Bottom