• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum revisted

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
As I'm sure you're all aware, we're currently using momentum at 92.5%. This is largely because some chars feel too unwieldy with the higher momentum. But why are we basing a global decision on the outliers that rest on the top of the momentum bracket? We should be giving those outliers specific momentum tweaks and setting the global momentum to a value appropriate for what is actually the majority. Most characters aren't unwieldy even at 100% momentum, so why are we placing a global value so low?

Also, characters like fox and falcon do need their momentum to be slightly lower than 100%, however, I don't think all of the big momentum characters need this reduction, either. Ganon, for example, is not only not unwieldy, but plays a lot smoother with full momentum. Spacing his running fairs is remarkably natural and helps his relatively poor approach game.

shanus

Smash Hero
I believe most chars are right at 92.5%. I more strongly believe that a strong case should be made why they need more momentum as the whole point is that the approach game is pretty well balanced right now and most characters should not cover significant ground per jump. It facilitates campiness and mobility for most chars. I still don't think ganon needs to fly around like he did at 100%, it was just too much. I had fun with it, but it just was stupidly large distance covered by such a slow character.

And if we talk about buffing ganon, i think boosting his fair knockback would be a more suited buff than boosting his momentum

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't want 100% momentum, it's not very controllable, even now for Falcon at 92.5% it's still rather hard to keep myself together at times with the good ol' Captain. 100% would just make it worse and IMO, we don't need 100%.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I don't think Falcon would get 100% but either way. I disagree with the way we have been going about buffs recently. Just because a character plays better with a move buff or physics buff doesn't mean they deserve it.

Almas

Smash Lord
I plan on rewriting many of the codes to produce a more organized layout of memory using increased linespace. Each character will be able to have a unique value for momentum.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think we should up momentum. It improves the pace of play, allows us to close the gap better which is much needed. If people like falcon feel unwieldy its because of the low friction. If we can get a char spec friction code, that would do wonders for upping the momentum on certain characters since I don't feel falcon is unwieldy at all. The sliding part is just the annoying part

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
SMK: Falcon wouldn't get the full momentum, obviously. Think about all the characters that don't have insane momentum, which is the majority of the cast. There are some things that you can't get around having to balance around an upper or lower outlier (see: chain throws on higher grav characters), but this is not one of them. We have the ability to set the chars with insane momentum to a lower value without affecting the rest of the cast, so why not do that?

Shanus/GOG: Physics tweaks are supposed to be done to optimize the characters to their playstyles. Move edits are supposed to be done to buff/nerf the characters. In ganon's case, the higher momentum complimented his playstyle considerably. I think that for a lot of chars that don't get much momentum now would play more optimally with full (or close to full) momentum.

Almas: Awesome.

Almas

Smash Lord
I mentioned atleast a month ago that I already have the resources available for character specific friction. I even made a thread solely for it's purpose, and it had no replies.

I don't think we should rule out modifying physics in order to weaken a character, but by default each one should have what feels most natural to them.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I would very much like char spec friction. Falcon doesn't feel right sliding away after a shffl and Im sure several others are similar

Top Bottom