• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
you guys are mean.

andre, you can 4stock me with your falcon whenever you want to, ok?

More like people making **** up. Maybe if it was all falcon dittos since none of us know how to do anything with falcon. I can moonwalk with falcon, is that good enough to not get 4stocked? I'll make Andre do some bobacks on yoshis with my moonwalking pressure

Are we playing some smash on black friday or no?

Edit: Some guy from my locals got top 8 at some really big tournament for yugioh. (Probably 500-1000 people, I dont know if this one was really small or not). Good stuff to see I don't play against scrubs at Kriers

DRGN

Technowizard
Su is good at breaking chains of events. Also one time he beat everyone once including Andre and it was done with fsmash only hahaha. I think I got the business from random wavedashed fsmashes from ICs that time, everyone else got marth fsmashed
When I do this they call it the Durgan combo. lololol

'Why does it work?!? Only Durgan knows!' lmao

Chok, even though I haven't played with you that much, I'd bet you're the type who enjoys playing on wacky stages, huh?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
so i played with fly and s2j today

fly was beating me pretty solidly, but never more than 2 stocks and i even managed to take a few games off of him. at this point in time im pretty convinced that ic's > marth

and vs s2j, we went pretty even, i think he won like 3 sets vs my 2 sets of him

also played some guy named sung, he's really good and mad technical but he is lacking in matchup knowledge and he doesn't know how to play against marth's who camp

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I first heard about sung about 6 months ago, so I think he's a relatively new player. He's supposedly pretty good though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Chok, even though I haven't played with you that much, I'd bet you're the type who enjoys playing on wacky stages, huh?
haahaha of course! how do you know?
so i played with fly and s2j today

fly was beating me pretty solidly, but never more than 2 stocks and i even managed to take a few games off of him. at this point in time im pretty convinced that ic's > marth

and vs s2j, we went pretty even, i think he won like 3 sets vs my 2 sets of him

also played some guy named sung, he's really good and mad technical but he is lacking in matchup knowledge and he doesn't know how to play against marth's who camp
i agree that ic's beat marth, but not by much, maybe 55:45. marth has to keep the pressure on, and maybe old ken vids with help... otherwise, use fox vs ic's! :) unless you wanna stick marth only forever...

ken was the best marth ever at the ic's matchup. next, that can be KFC! :D :D

fly watched and analyzed the set that me and you played before. if he didn't point out your habit of doing sh fair to double jump, be weary of doing that too much, cuz ic's can catch on and get under marth.

respect blizzard, ice block, and wd dsmash. everything else, marth pretty much beats.

what were some things u were having trouble with? i wanna help u beat fly :)

also, did you go marth vs johnny? :)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
yeah i went all marth vs johnny

only played fox like twice the entire night and it wasnt vs fly or johnny

fly said i was doing pretty well dealing with his projectile spam, but he said that i needed to be more aggressive because i dont pressure enough vs ice climbers

so i tried to be more aggressive, had some success, but then that opened me up and got me punished a lot

just gotta find more effective ways to turn on the pressure

its just like... marth can only hit icey's like once or twice, but the second marth gets hit or grabbed, he's dead

also he said i needed to work on my edgeguarding vs iceys

overall i didnt do too bad though. managed to take a few games off fly out of the dozen or so we played. he's def way better than i am

fly was telling me he generally has an easy time vs marths, so im pretty proud of my performance vs him =D really gonna step it up next time though (the last thing i said to him when i left the smashfest was, "i'll play you next time when i have more choknator practice" lol

hmm... i really wanna know fly's thought process on the matchup. i hope he checks this thread or name searches or something. FLY AMANITA

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My general approach to the match-up is to not let Marth pressure me and to look for lots of little combo openings, most of which are created via blizzard. Hence, I usually sit back with projectiles and sporadically approach with Nanapults. If I think I can squeeze in something a little more substantial based on how the Marth likes to move, I'll also start approaching with things like uair (obviously when he's not on the ground), wavedash -> jab/dsmash, fair (specifically to counter dtilt), and dash attack. When Marth does pressure me, my usual response is to get away and get a blizzard out, or just skip the retreat and immediately blizzard, usually with belay OoS. These obviously aren't the only things I'll do and there are a number of ways I'll respond based on how exactly the Marth likes to pressure and what I think he will do.

In the game that you did win, you did a good job of killing Nana, keeping me above you, and not letting me always get a blizzard out whenever I wanted to. I adjusted the next round by more firmly sticking to the ground, using faster blizzard desynchs (namely, DD and belay OoS), and choosing my approach options more carefully.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
nah, just start censor dodging and he'll be here, you can count on that. did any of your matches get recorded jay rawr?

edit: damnit way to make me look bad fly. damnit jr you need to come back up soon i wanna play smash now, as well as sc2!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i play myl's marth a lot lately and marth can establish a lot of momentum off those "1 or 2 hits"

marth has to get ic's in a spot where they can't freely initiate a desynch, which is basically at the top of marth's sword range. at that range, dtilt, side B, and jc grab are all good ways of putting the pressure on. marth likes bringing them to the edge bc their off the stage game is so weak.

when edgeguarding ic's, you just have to remember all their options. it's just like falcon. his recovery options are small, but enough to mix people up. ic's are similar, though a little better than falcon

both ic's:
- side B
- up-B
- up-B ledge trick where popo grabs the ledge and nana flies up

solo ic
- side-B recover high
- side-B through opponent
- sweetspot up-B
- air dodge

for popo to use up-B to save nana, nana must NOT be in a tumble state. if nana was in a tumble state and still has to double jump, she will have to fall to about stage level or below before she uses her double jump. when she double jumps, popo can teleport her to himself to use up-B from a really big distance.

when i was playing m2k, he discovered that when ic's use up-B, nana will ALWAYS try to land near the edge of the stage that she's coming from, no matter where popo goes. it's basically the worst spot she can go. just remember that she has invincibilty and a hitbox on the way up, but you can hit her out of her descent. basically if ic's are forced to use up-B (usually a case when popo has to wait for nana's double jump and then save her), you can either get off on popo so that he can't go save her, or you can just let them up-B and then charge fsmash or neutral B or tipper nana when she lands. nana is SUPER FREE if they up-B, but most people who aren't aware of the invincibility get stupidly blown up. just wait for her to fall down by the ledge.

as for solo popo, he will almost always try to recover high. in fact fly recovers high way more often than i do, because air dodging to the ledge is super risky and can be easily hit by marth. so what you should do here is watch popo as he's falling, and try to anticipate and intercept his side-B used from ANY height during his descent. so try not to jump too high too early, but jumping high at the right time is great so that you can stop his side-B, or at least intercept popo on the top platform. i'm sure u can figure out the nuances jr

if you can't edge guard them, you can wait for them to land, but you have to put on the pressure IMMEDIATELY. CHASE THEM if they happen to recover. don't let them get in a good spot. if they get a chance to land and roll/wd around, they are already at an advantage. ic's are pretty susceptible to spaced dtilt pressure or grabs after they land.

as for getting through blizzard........

i can't help you there :troll: LOL

(it's actually because i don't know how to get through it myself.)

but JR i think you already know how to deal with it. i think what you can do is learn how to pressure better after getting those "1 or 2" hits, cuz basically that is all any character needs vs ic's. ic's are a character who can't do anything whenever they want. vs marth, they have to set up first, because marth wins the fight easily if there are no projectiles on screen, as long as he doesn't get shield grabbed.

one thing that i saw ken do often is space tippers vs ic's even if they're shielding. obviously u have to get really great at tippers because if you whiff an fsmash, or hit their shield with a non tipper, you're dead. but if you hit their shield with a tipper, they have too much shield stun and are pushed SOOOOOOOOOOOOO far. ken would also try to tipper nana at like 30% and she dies.

generally you are a very reserved player, so if you ever play me or fly next time, try out more things that are aggressive. even if you get blown up a lot for making stupid moves, you're never gonna figure it out unless you try approaching!

if marth and ic's are zoning each other the whole time................ ic's win haha.

DRGN

Technowizard
haahaha of course! how do you know?
Lol, it's much too clear.

Man, we could have fun with this game. A lot of people I play with don't like them, lol. Luckily I've been weening my bro onto them a bit more, occasionally, lol.

Also, this conversation is interesting; makes me wish I could play with you guys. I've always thought Marth had the advantage in the match-up, even at higher metagame. Short hop fair, dtilt is soooo good. And once they're separated it's easy pickin's. Tilts and jabs are amazing for stopping approaches.

I'm sure you've played plenty of good Marths, but of them who has similar IC experience in the match-up?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
tilts and jab and dtilt are good if ic's approaches, but ic's don't really need to approach that much.

marth vs ic's, i've discovered, is about a few things
1. abusing their most ranged attacks to defend and force the other to approach
2. approaching by inching toward the opponent
3. finding openings

however ic's can do sudden bursts sometimes haha. i call it the chudat when ic's dash back, wd toward marth while facing away, and bair, or shield and bair oos

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i'm hella mad that i have to watch rom 4 videos in **** quality all squished beyond the point of being able to recognize distance between characters.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree kenny. It's hard to appreciate the good sets when it's so difficult to tell whats going on most of the time

Just feel the crowd in those games, if that person screaming like a little girl is at it then you know someone is getting ****ed up

The quality's pretty bad. I thought I was looking at RoM 1 for a second and had to double check if it really was RoM4

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LOL @ egg throw shield pressure!!

but yeah, the funnest thing about watching these high level pros, is seeing where they made a decision i wouldn't have thought of... but i can't "play along" when i don't even know how close they are to each other or the ledges.

"oh... i guess he was in tipper range... couldn't tell..."

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
spenser, let's play tetris. i see you're playing marathon.....................

LET'S PLAY

edit: oops double post. sorry? nobody cares, huh?

Miztik

Smash Master
Nobody is better than Jamie at yoshi!

i remember one time i rested andre's IC's great success

Kenny i heart you with all my d***

Nick is a trick

Keith is pretty sexy

Jr is hella asian

Spencer is a jew

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
fly is anti american, bring him down! were all about change here in america, and all fly has is dollar bills -_-

Top Bottom