• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
ggratz at winning the tourney, andre. . . looking forward to playing you this winter if I come down for dgdtj
(weird acronym. . .)

lol kenny you of all people know i dont give a **** about jeff or any falcon in particular
. . . except for Jpeg, of course! that dude's madd fly!
Fixed

great vid kenny. . . changed my world. . .

who is project styles?
he the new scorpion king??

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ggratz at winning the tourney, andre. . . looking forward to playing you this winter if I come down for dgdtj
(weird acronym. . .)
yes sir!

who is project styles?
he the new scorpion king??
he's basically the young link player who taps robots and giant apes all day in a little boy skirt

favorable low tier matchup against better players + triforce power = win

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
totally agreed ^

lets talk about a much better game than smash...

starcraft 2

^_^
Blasphemy

Well yeah SC2 is definitely "deeper" than any smash game out there.

Anyways a lot of the "brawl sucks" mindset, I think, comes from this one argument Gimpyfish and a few others made after the release of brawl and everyone rode the "brawl has no combos, no depth, no balance, no tech skills, etc" train after that. The game has really developed pretty well, and the results from MLG / other tournaments really show how varied the top results are. It's just a different game, but it's definitely a good game.
Its because brawl has no combos, no depth, no balance, no tech skills, etc. That's why it sucks. hahaha. I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that Brawl is a good game. Brawl should have been the first version of smash, then 64, then melee. Thats fine if you like Brawl and all, but like....there's AllisBrawl for that. lol. K, done being an @sshole for the moment. Bwahahaha

Miztik

Smash Master
who cares about gimpyfish really?

also people say brawl sucks because it in fact does suck there is no argument to it.

Brawl is good, but can be very dull. Occupying a platform is inordinately powerful in many match-ups that matter.
Yeah, it can be dull. Platform camping all day against ICs.

Anyhow Mexican if you think smash64 is better than brawl, I don't even know what to say about that. Smash64 is by far the worst game in the series, it's the game with the least amount of depth, but it's pretty obvious why.

I'd say 64 is deeper than Brawl, personally. What're your obvious reasons as to why Brawl's deeper?
The combo situations are almost always the same as DI has pretty no influence on the outcome of the combo. You can still slightly DI horizontally, but not vertically. 0-death combos that you can't get out of leads to poor game design. In melee you have loads of combos that can turn to 0-death combos, but you always have the option to DI them to either get out or make the opponent react to switch up to another set of moves to carry it out. Things like that add depth to a game. In smash64 you know the outcome of a combo once they get in the first hit, if they mess up, that's their own problem.

There's no side B, there's only foward and back throw. Without dthrow, you don't really have much of a tech chase game in melee. With less characters there is less match-up knowledge you need to learn. Is it even viable to shield in this game? I know the stun is very long and you have ness, pikachu, fox who walk all over the shield and break it / grab you. In melee you can shield pressure, but even with perfect skill using fox's drill shine has a window of 7 frames which is enough for something like OoS shine to break away.

There are less characters, less stages, that always limits the options available in a game. Of course brawl isn't going to be a deeper game than melee solely on that, but it is something to take into account. You could always argue "but smash 64 has more tech skill than brawl!" but I don't think that covers all the more basic options brawl has over smash 64.

tl;dr I don't even know how anyone can claim smash 64 is better than brawl. Melee being better than brawl makes perfect sense, but this?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
lol

if i wanted to play a fun exciting game with tons of depth, id play melee or smash 64 or starcraft

if i wanted to play a boring game that had tons of depth, id play chess

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
64 is a good game but im not good enough at it to talk about if its good or not

brawl takes a lot of patience but u can still really get off if u read people hehe

lol

if i wanted to play a fun exciting game with tons of depth, id play melee or smash 64 or starcraft

if i wanted to play a boring game that had tons of depth, id play chess
Well one thing is saying I like smash 64 because I think it's more "fun" than brawl rather than "smash 64 is better than brawl" (I take better as it being a deeper / more user friendly game). If it's the first thing, then it's pretty much taste

I don't know if chess is the right game to call "deep" since there's no way a human can beat a computer now. You could get a stalemate at best. You could say chess is already solved and there is always a "best" move in that game. I don't like chess nor do I really play it though. All those top players have memorized many, many openers and end game situations. With starcraft you still have the element of surprise so eh it's something different since it is done in real time.

I am probably talking a lot of nonsense, but you can blame the admins / mods of shoddy battle for my boring attitude towards determining the depth of games because they do coding for various projects, some even have jobs as programmers. I'm a mediocre programmer, but whatever.

Violence

Smash Lord
Chess is not solved. We simply cannot beat the top computers. The top computers, however, have not solved chess.

I think that the game where there are many more defensive options, such as multiple air dodging and auto sweetspotting, don't really increase a game's depth, but only make it more stable. The system of combat for Brawl favors less aggression and solid leads of over a stock are rarely overturned, from what I've seen. The on the ground game of Brawl seems less complex to me than 64 smash, where Z-canceling gives you more options for approaching. 64 smash doesn't favor defense, as getting stuck in shield pressure is one of the worst situations, and misreading your opponent can lead to many bad punishments, but I don't think that necessarily means a lack of depth. I would argue that 64's faster pace, and the presence of Z canceling make it trump brawl in terms of depth. Whenever you have to make important decisions based on complex details in a shorter amount of time, I think that does contribute to more depth.

And Brawl does have inescapable 0-death combos too. Jab locks, hobbling, chain throw infinites, etc.

Miztik

Smash Master
why in the hell would anyone play chess against a computer? its already a boring thing to do but then to play it alone? epic ****ing fail. lol

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
why in the hell would anyone play chess against a computer? its already a boring thing to do but then to play it alone? epic ****ing fail. lol
LMAO

for some reason i cant stop laughing at this

and oh yeah, when i said stuff about chess being deep, i really dont know what im talking about since i suck **** at chess haha

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't really think turn based games should be compared to real time games personally. Brawl's slow enough it seems turn based on occasion though lol

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Oh, and uh... the next modesto tourney's gonna be next sunday on the 12th like originally planned. Yes, i know that combofoodpalooza is the same day and merced is the day before, but I won't be able to host another tournament for 4 or 5 weeks so I figure i might as well have one that day anyway. I haven't been doing so hot recently and there's a chance I might not be doing well enough to even go on that day. If that happens you guys can just consider it a smashfest I guess, but something's gonna happen that day regardless.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
i think its

1. melee
2. 64
3. brawl

brawl is alright, the other 2 are just better

64 has the best chance to be decent with a low tier prolly

melee is the most balanced as a whole id say

Chess is not solved. We simply cannot beat the top computers. The top computers, however, have not solved chess.

I think that the game where there are many more defensive options, such as multiple air dodging and auto sweetspotting, don't really increase a game's depth, but only make it more stable. The system of combat for Brawl favors less aggression and solid leads of over a stock are rarely overturned, from what I've seen. The on the ground game of Brawl seems less complex to me than 64 smash, where Z-canceling gives you more options for approaching. 64 smash doesn't favor defense, as getting stuck in shield pressure is one of the worst situations, and misreading your opponent can lead to many bad punishments, but I don't think that necessarily means a lack of depth. I would argue that 64's faster pace, and the presence of Z canceling make it trump brawl in terms of depth. Whenever you have to make important decisions based on complex details in a shorter amount of time, I think that does contribute to more depth.

And Brawl does have inescapable 0-death combos too. Jab locks, hobbling, chain throw infinites, etc.
Yeah I see what you mean. Yeah it's really difficult to say overcome stock leads in a game like brawl for the most part unless it's one of those few aggressive match-ups / ICs. Good players are able to overturn those stock leads and comebacks do occur, but not as often as melee or smash64.

Allisbrawl's community is a huge joke for the most part. If anything the better brawl players still post on smashboards. I think melee has more depth, balance, etc than brawl for sure, but I'm thinking a lot of people are holding on to smash 64 because of it's nostalgia factor. Smash 64 is still a pretty good game, but I don't think it's above brawl

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
64 is one of the weirdest games I've ever played. Shielding is generally terrible, horizontal mobility tends to be relatively limited, the reward for landing a hit tends to be very large (although this does vary greatly by match-up), yet it's very hard to punish a lot of things. You really need to know how to approach in 64; whenever I play really good people, I feel like they're always barely out of range and very difficult to hit in general, but they also find ways of squeezing through my defenses when I try to emulate them.

Oh, and uh... the next modesto tourney's gonna be next sunday on the 12th like originally planned. Yes, i know that combofoodpalooza is the same day and merced is the day before, but I won't be able to host another tournament for 4 or 5 weeks so I figure i might as well have one that day anyway. I haven't been doing so hot recently and there's a chance I might not be doing well enough to even go on that day. If that happens you guys can just consider it a smashfest I guess, but something's gonna happen that day regardless.
I'll try to make it to this. My sunday should be free, but who knows

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
seeing as i have more driving freedom i might choose ownapalooza over modesto tourny

gonna head back to daly now hehe sad i didnt get to hang out

kieth didnt answer text and nick is sick haha
hung with dotey today though :)

hes very good at adapting in barlw lol

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
Yo! miss yo face too, Jr!
And the rest of you modes. . . tinatians as well =p

I would post more, but I forget, for the most part, and have touggh times getting on a comp during night hours. . . and usually caught up with something in the daytime. . ill have alil more time when I go back to vegas in a week. . . im still up for driving over to pick you up in dec Jr, if your still available then

legs feeling a bit better. . . i can start moving it well and working it out after all the PT ive been doing. . . .
Im still full-on reppin' the crips, tho =D. . . I have several more months til i 100% recoup

hope everything's still doing good with you guys. . . will prolly see you all sometime this Dec if I CAN actually get the opportunity to drive over there and maybe bring a vegas meleer or two with me to dgdtj

and as far as chess vs 64 vs brawl goes. . . first off, theres something to be said about the fact that, in chess, the first like 20-30 or so moves in the game are just auto, at this point, and any derivation from it will lead you with a loss to someone who knows what their doing. . . . . but thats obv at the highest levels, for the most part. I still enjoy it every now and then as long as my opponent isnt Russian. . .
And I could see how people enjoy 64 more and see it as the better game . . . prolly because ppl feel as if superiority in skill tends to . . . .reveal itself easier, i guess would be a decent way of saying it. . . . whereas in brawl, even though the better player will still win a set over the worse for the most part, the "skill" (or tech. . . maybe) in the game isnt as blatant for the audience to immediately latch onto and recognize. . . . or even as entertaining to watch as melee/64. . . .
just a late night thought. . .
i could make a bunch of poker analogies that would be relevant to. . . but its prolly not the place

and how do you really feel about sc2, jr? is it sweet?
is it actually on a level with melee competitively? or are you just ***** with my emotions?

o yeah. . . . and wheres foy?? =p

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
john your posts still confuse the fk out of me lol

so im just gonna reply to the parts where you were directly talking to me

uhm, when did you plan on picking me up in december?

im actually coming home to stockton in november, then coming back to socal in december, then im going back to stockton on december 17th (give or take a few days)

so i might not even need you to pick me up heh. (actually cant remember why you were gonna pick me up in the first place) lol

oh, and sc2 is pretty **** competitive, i can link you to some great matches on youtube.

im pretty average at it

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
i dont mean to confuse . . . .
i mean, they make sense to me. . . . well actually, that may not be the best thing. . . . .

Didnt know if you wanted to go to 'dont go down there' and needed a ride. . . figured it would work perfectly if I came a couple days earlier and stayed n smashed at ur place in socal . . . or even a motel nearby. . .

and as far as sc2, could you? I actually thought about looking some up but figured id be sifting thru a bunch of crap seeing it was a new game n all

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i check smash boards once a week or less and i come home looking for sum o' dem lulz but all i see is another melee vs brawl argument.

you guys know what's more boring than ledge camping in brawl?
arguing about how boring brawl is...

i'll see you guys in about a week.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
howdy kenny!
ya come back here right now, ya'hear??!?!?

have you seen the movie inception? I would think that the movie would definitely appeal to you at least. . . . . . . I think it was a pretty great movie. basically expanded on what little thought ive ever put into the matter as a kid. Thoughts anyone? Ill reach into it further if more ppl have seen it/ ppl havent but no one wants cares to have to have the plot/ending blown

mai badz if this has, in fact, been discussed before. . .

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
lol. inception was... okay.

it was similar to the matrix in that the perceived reality is not the "real" reality

but i liked the matrix trilogy much better

inception was more mainstream, so it was a bigger hit in the box office i guess

Violence

Smash Lord
and as far as chess vs 64 vs brawl goes. . . first off, theres something to be said about the fact that, in chess, the first like 20-30 or so moves in the game are just auto, at this point, and any derivation from it will lead you with a loss to someone who knows what their doing. . . . . but thats obv at the highest levels, for the most part.
I think it's more like, the first 5-6 moves determine the next 20 or so. But you're right in that there's a ton of memorization, that's why I stopped playing.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Top Bottom