• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Stage Model Imports

Which is more important?

• Total voters

zankyou

Smash Lord
Id periodically check the second post. There might be some sort of beta coming very very soon.

zankyou

Smash Lord
No idea what going on with his eyes. But ill say that it seems imports by jaystring run better than others whove imported from smash 4.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Sounds about right. Im gonna guess that the WiiU Captain Falcon you did was based off DSX8/ShotgunColors' Brawl import? If so, DSX8's character imports are known to be made pretty much only with Dolphin users in mind, thus much heavier duty.

zankyou

Smash Lord
How do you import models?
Parsing the Arc file, then reweighting the vertices to melee bones, converting structures, and rewriting the dat file. If you want to import mario look for the super mario bros melee thread. Now that Ive figured out how to navigate through an Arc file things are a lot easier.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
What do you guys think. I could import this as a 3 platform stage. I was kinda fond of the 2 platforms because it was a little different though.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What do you guys think. I could import this as a 3 platform stage. I was kinda fond of the 2 platforms because it was a little different though.
Both? I did like the two as well, because they were a little different than normal. But if you do a 3 platform version, it can always just be changed to two.

With your new tools, how long did this take you?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Both? I did like the two as well, because they were a little different than normal. But if you do a 3 platform version, it can always just be changed to two.

With your new tools, how long did this take you?
Hard to say. Most of my time goes into fixing bugs and editing the file and tools (since theres no interface) to make things compatible.

zankyou

Smash Lord
These images are high tier and definitely staying. I just wish you could read them all.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Added this list to the OP. http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Super_Smash_Bros._Melee_songs
So finding songs should be easier now.

Ill probably use DTW to find and remove a lot of the pics since its a little distracting and release that one as the official one. Also hopefully I it wont be over peachbtt. I started to replace and remove some of the messages to get rid of the clutter but ill release it like this so that you guys can also find and keep the ones you want.
Miiverse- PeachBTT

Create by DemonSlayerX8

Updated. I didnt mean to get rid of the color groups. I wanted to test a different flag and Im pretty happy with it.
New one
Miiverse- PeachBTT

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

Filesize is around 2.9mb. Ill say though that 90% of the file sizes come from the textures so Ill probably start down scaling things in the background.

edit: Looks like I was spot on. The extracted data from the arc file totals in 2.89nb. The texture data from that though is 2.71mb. And my final file size is 2.95mb. I used brawlbox to reencode every image to half its size (512x512 -> 256x256) and the file file size is around 689kb. Obviously this is overkill and ill probably aim for a file size around 2mb, 2.5mb at most. Its a good sign for dolphin users.

look for this wip

Im not really a fan of changing things about the stages since Id like a 1:1 import. But this stage is massive and an up smash from fox kill puff at 49 which is lower than it does on YS. So I upd the top blast zone to around 180 I think instead of 150.

Last edited:

Guesmu

Smash Apprentice
Parsing the Arc file, then reweighting the vertices to melee bones, converting structures, and rewriting the dat file. If you want to import mario look for the super mario bros melee thread. Now that Ive figured out how to navigate through an Arc file things are a lot easier.
Thanks, just wondering.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Z zankyou have you ever seen the displaylist data NOT go in the following order?
vertices --> normals --> color --> UV

So this was the result of my new bone injection program.
Lol do you want to try and import the Suzaka (SmashU) main platform and see what you get? I would guess this to be a UV problem, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Colors look good.

Capture.PNG

EDIT:
Nvm. Set the wrong flag for UV stride.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Filesize is around 2.9mb. Ill say though that 90% of the file sizes come from the textures so Ill probably start down scaling things in the background.

edit: Looks like I was spot on. The extracted data from the arc file totals in 2.89nb. The texture data from that though is 2.71mb. And my final file size is 2.95mb. I used brawlbox to reencode every image to half its size (512x512 -> 256x256) and the file file size is around 689kb. Obviously this is overkill and ill probably aim for a file size around 2mb, 2.5mb at most. Its a good sign for dolphin users.

look for this wip

Im not really a fan of changing things about the stages since Id like a 1:1 import. But this stage is massive and an up smash from fox kill puff at 49 which is lower than it does on YS. So I upd the top blast zone to around 180 I think instead of 150.
Looks good, but what about enabling the color groups?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Z zankyou have you ever seen the displaylist data NOT go in the following order?
vertices --> normals --> color --> UV

So this was the result of my new bone injection program.
Lol do you want to try and import the Suzaka (SmashU) main platform and see what you get? I would guess this to be a UV problem, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Colors look good.

View attachment 117126

EDIT:
Nvm. Set the wrong flag for UV stride.
View attachment 117129
There could be things before or after it, I dont usually take note of the order

This is what I got with the color groups enabled. On the other one the color groups are enabled some of the times but not others.

I guess I could finish this version of the stage if you guys want.

Were getting closer

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I got stuck several places on an import. So I went ahead and implemented vert cloud editing.
Downside is that I dont understand stripification so its limited to just a vertex cloud. I plan on fixing this later but since UMC already exports objects properly its way down the list on things to do.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I told you guys a proper import was coming. Now that I have weight and display list editing theres no longer any need for 3ds max.

Also I may have jumped the gun when calling the brawl models giants. It seems like Melee is making the characters larger, or stage smaller. Either way theres some scaling going on that Im not certain of.

or

Last edited:

Silent J

Smash Rookie
This is what I got with the color groups enabled. On the other one the color groups are enabled some of the times but not others.

I guess I could finish this version of the stage if you guys want.
This stage would be sick for doubles on a import stagelist, color issues nonwithstanding

zankyou

Smash Lord
This stage would be sick for doubles on a import stagelist, color issues nonwithstanding
Dont look at the black areas. Those are just transparency flags I have to set after an import which I didnt do here. The color of the wood is what changes with the color groups.

DRGN

Technowizard
I told you guys a proper import was coming. Now that I have weight and display list editing theres no longer any need for 3ds max.

Also I may have jumped the gun when calling the brawl models giants. It seems like Melee is making the characters larger, or stage smaller. Either way theres some scaling going on that Im not certain of.

or
I also think the last one looks best.

Milun

Smash Ace
Hooooooooow did I not know about this thread? Consider me subbed! Makes the model importer I was working on seem kinda silly :p

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Hooooooooow did I not know about this thread? Consider me subbed! Makes the model importer I was working on seem kinda silly :p
Nows the best time. I just got my program working with characters and stages.
What file format was your converter going to be compatible with.

Milun

Smash Ace
Nows the best time. I just got my program working with characters and stages.
What file format was your converter going to be compatible with.
... .obj's and that's about it. It doesn't work very well either, since I don't really know what I'm doing. The reason I make it is because it keeps the order of the verts the same as they are in Melee, so that I can import it back into the file without changing its structure. It's also unfinished and buggy, but I do have Tcll helping me out with it, who is a genius. I'm at the point where I can move the architecture of Brinstar Depths around and make an FD out of it, which was my long-term plan for it anyways.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
... .obj's and that's about it. It doesn't work very well either, since I don't really know what I'm doing. The reason I make it is because it keeps the order of the verts the same as they are in Melee, so that I can import it back into the file without changing its structure. It's also unfinished and buggy, but I do have Tcll helping me out with it, who is a genius. I'm at the point where I can move the architecture of Brinstar Depths around and make an FD out of it, which was my long-term plan for it anyways.
Obj importing was actually a feature I was planning to add at some point. But Id rather just add that functionality to umc whenever tcll gets to a decent point in his new build. Right now I can import and export vertices just fine. But thats the extent of Obj support.

Milun

Smash Ace
Obj importing was actually a feature I was planning to add at some point. But Id rather just add that functionality to umc whenever tcll gets to a decent point in his new build. Right now I can import and export vertices just fine. But thats the extent of Obj support.
Fair nuff. I'll continue on with my one, make Depths, and see where I go to from there. I see why you wouldn't bother with .obj's. You can just import them into Brawl Box anyway and put em into the game that way.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Just gonna test what I can and cant do real quick

Alright good enough

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Probably a silly question, but would it be possible to say, import Snake over Ganon? Or would the bone structure not match up and break it?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Probably a silly question, but would it be possible to say, import Snake over Ganon? Or would the bone structure not match up and break it?
Probably. You can import anything with a topn bone into a character. Animations working are dependent on a few things. If you want, you can try importing snake over mario and seeing how that goes. Look for the super mario bros thread below this one for the importer.

Top Bottom