• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Stage Model Imports

Which is more important?

• Total voters

IndigoSamus

Smash Cadet
Well in this case the file size is around 2.5mb which should be a little under the limit I think. Im also getting the issue with Castle BattleField which is weird because its literally the same file that was sitting in my onedrive folder from a year ago. And that one worked. Might be the new dolphin, might be rotational velocidensity.
Is there a way to fix it? I can't play on battlefield anymore which sucks :/

zankyou

Smash Lord
If not Ill redo it. Its one of my favorite stages.

Meta question: Characters dont belong in the subforum, but I made this thread with the intention of including both in it. Im a year late with characters and now this thread is categorized for stages. I dont mind making a new thread somewhere else for character imports, but is it a bad idea to repurpose this sub forum for model hacks. I feel like the stage hacks are technically model hacks and I dont think anyone is actively model hacking stages. And character imports dont really have a subforum to go in anyways.

Lastly look at the second post.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

zankyou

Smash Lord
I dont know how I got here. But its too late to stop now.

Be sure to look at the second post for wips and more.

DRGN

Technowizard
If not Ill redo it. Its one of my favorite stages.

Meta question: Characters dont belong in the subforum, but I made this thread with the intention of including both in it. Im a year late with characters and now this thread is categorized for stages. I dont mind making a new thread somewhere else for character imports, but is it a bad idea to repurpose this sub forum for model hacks. I feel like the stage hacks are technically model hacks and I dont think anyone is actively model hacking stages. And character imports dont really have a subforum to go in anyways.

Lastly look at the second post.
Yeah, I think it would make sense to change this subforum into "Customized Models", one for all models. Someday it might grow too big and need to be divided, but I think it would be a while for that to happen, and this subforum would do just fine for now combined. So then you could just make a new thread here for characters.

Started work on Return to Dream Land (Night)

View attachment 116014

View attachment 116015
This is freaking amazing.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Seeing the WiiU Captain Falcon in the second post, it got me thinking: how well, theoretically, would you think Smash 3DS player models would work? They don't seem very intensive at all.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Seeing the WiiU Captain Falcon in the second post, it got me thinking: how well, theoretically, would you think Smash 3DS player models would work? They don't seem very intensive at all.
This man is on to something!

zankyou

Smash Lord
Im importing from brawl. Since no ones imported those into brawl I wouldnt expect them. I could learn a model format one day like dae files, but for now my philosophy is that theres so much good content brawl modders have produced. Why not bring those to melee.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Unfortunately, that is an issue - there are very few 3DS model swaps for Brawl characters (off the top of my head I can only think of Ryu over Captain Falcon, PacMan over Sonic and also Mario, Mega Man over Ness, and Shulk over Ike).

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Capture.PNG

Z zankyou
Questions:
1) Was this stage re-imported with your model placement discovery?
2) If not, do you plan to re-import it doing such? Will this "fix" the background problem you described?
3) The stage file size is quite large (2.6mb). Nonetheless, upon initial tests, it seems to boot up four players just fine. Does the creation of your structure stripping tool play any factor into re-importing this stage?
4) I could be wrong, but it felt as though there was lag/frame drops or whatever on console when playing with four players sometimes.

I realize number 4 was not a quesiton, but regarding it:
1) Can we have a version with the default Dream Land background (just a plain flat image to edit) to reduce poly count?
2) In a version with the imported background elements, I believe there are still optimizations to be made to reduce poly count. One example is the blue island mountains. If it would help the lag problem, I would certainly consider taking them out completely and may do that with the current file as a test. But we could start with a smaller measure and remove the mountains circled below.

Capture2.PNG

The only time these circled mountains are ever seen is when the game is paused with camera rotation. So they are pretty unnecessary when poly count is on the line. All the mountains in the map are a single object though, which means I have no idea of how to remove select ones from simply within the DAT file. I assume you would have to use 3ds Max to edit the mountains out during the import process. Can I help with this in any way?

What can I do to help you with importing/optimizing models?

Other Comments:
1) With this stage, disabling the (00000002) color group material flag and enabling the (00000004) color struct material flag value to almost all objects will make them basically look like my above image. The only exceptions are the main tree leaves and the background stars which use the (00000004) flag but have modified color struct values.
2) You've probably noticed this, but there is an issue with the leaves in one section where there is some overlapping/clipping issue that causes a bit of image flickering. This is a pretty minor thing, though.

Capture3.PNG

It's so beautiful.

As always, if you finalize the base import files, I will work on polishing.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
View attachment 116159

Z zankyou
Questions:
2) If not, do you plan to re-import it doing such? Will this "fix" the background problem you described?
3) The stage file size is quite large (2.6mb). Nonetheless, upon initial tests, it seems to boot up four players just fine. Does the creation of your structure stripping tool play any factor into re-importing this stage?
4) I could be wrong, but it felt as though there was lag/frame drops or whatever on console when playing with four players sometimes.

1) Can we have a version with the default Dream Land background (just a plain flat image to edit) to reduce poly count?
2) In a version with the imported background elements, I believe there are still optimizations to be made to reduce poly count. One example is the blue island mountains. If it would help the lag problem, I would certainly consider taking them out completely and may do that with the current file as a test. But we could start with a smaller measure and remove the mountains circled below.

View attachment 116162

The only time these circled mountains are ever seen is when the game is paused with camera rotation. So they are pretty unnecessary when poly count is on the line. All the mountains in the map are a single object though, which means I have no idea of how to remove select ones from simply within the DAT file. I assume you would have to use 3ds Max to edit the mountains out during the import process. Can I help with this in any way?

Other Comments:
1) With this stage, disabling the (00000002) color group material flag and enabling the (00000004) color struct material flag value to almost all objects will make them basically look like my above image. The only exceptions are the main tree leaves and the background stars which use the (00000004) flag but have modified color struct values.
2) You've probably noticed this, but there is an issue with the leaves in one section where there is some overlapping/clipping issue that causes a bit of image flickering. This is a pretty minor thing, though.

View attachment 116163

It's so beautiful.
It really is beautiful. I really like how the light appears to be coming from the star.

For reducing poly count, much more of what's on "our side" of the camera might be removable. Parts of the blue snow-globe looking dome, as well as parts of the island you mentioned to remove the mountains from could be trimmed down. This is possible by modifying the “Display List Blocks” value in the Mesh Structs. As you know, if something has a value of 40 or something and you change it to 00, it will no longer be rendered. But if you change it to 10 instead, it will render just those first 10 blocks/polygons just fine. Though since we're at the mercy of what happens to be listed first, the effect will be kinda random, so this method would need some luck. And I admit this is a little hacky. Modifying the models themselves prior to import sounds like a better solution.

As for the overlapping/clipping issue with the leaves, I expect that's caused by those objects/textures having the same z-axis value. If one were changed slightly, they should overlap properly.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
It really is beautiful. I really like how the light appears to be coming from the star.

For reducing poly count, much more of what's on "our side" of the camera might be removable. Parts of the blue snow-globe looking dome, as well as parts of the island you mentioned to remove the mountains from could be trimmed down. This is possible by modifying the “Display List Blocks” value in the Mesh Structs. As you know, if something has a value of 40 or something and you change it to 00, it will no longer be rendered. But if you change it to 10 instead, it will render just those first 10 blocks/polygons just fine. Though since we're at the mercy of what happens to be listed first, the effect will be kinda random, so this method would need some luck. And I admit this is a little hacky. Modifying the models themselves prior to import sounds like a better solution.

As for the overlapping/clipping issue with the leaves, I expect that's caused by those objects/textures having the same z-axis value. If one were changed slightly, they should overlap properly.
I have not tried modifying the display list block count for the mountains, but I should. I've never had luck with "trimming" portions of the object though using this, similar to your comment about it seeming random to the person editing the value. Last time I tried this was with the original HD Dream Land import trying to remove whispy but keep the bushes. Iirc, decreasing that value would remove parts of the trunk model on all the tree trunk objects and basically move from top down.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, I expect that the polygons/object parts that list is composed of, or the effect of reducing the value, would start on one side or part of the object, and move contiguously to the other side. I'd play around with it right now with this stage if I could. Such exciting advancements lately!

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey zankyou, just wanted to say zanks for all your hard work. Every new post of yours brings us nothing but joy, and reading through the captions makes it that much better.

Btw, achilles, do you plan on implementing any of these into the alt stages of the next 20XX release or is that thinking too far ahead?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Do they play well?
Hard to say. I cant test on console right now. I doubt ryu does. What makes the smash 4 models unique is that they dont use textures for details really. Its normally in the model bump map.
Hey zankyou, just wanted to say zanks for all your hard work. Every new post of yours brings us nothing but joy, and reading through the captions makes it that much better.

Btw, achilles, do you plan on implementing any of these into the alt stages of the next 20XX release or is that thinking too far ahead?
Thanks. I really put more time than I should into this so knowing theyre appreciated means a lot.

zankyou

Smash Lord
View attachment 116159

Z zankyou
Questions:

View attachment 116162

Other Comments:

View attachment 116163

It's so beautiful.

As always, if you finalize the base import files, I will work on polishing.
1) Yes. The issue there came into play with assets that had rotation transformations. Looking at the star, since its in the right place means that the rotations are in order.
2) As for the background, this was made right before you found my error in the relocation table for multiple textures. If you look where the water is supposed to meet the night sky there are some weird transparency issues. Im hoping I can fix this but I dont know if I can. I tried fairly hard to make it as subtle as possible but its still glaring if you are looking for it.
3) Im trying to make it work with the current stages. For a stage as close as YS I really dont want to have to do the whole thing over.
4.1) Probably. I have to check my other harddrive but I import the mdl0 files for stages one by one and I cant remember the order I did this one in.
4.2) There are a lot of reasons for possible lag. One thing Im not certain of is whether or not its related to the way I was attempting to duplicate objects for multiple textures before. I know for castle battefield I could only have two textures that way for the water instead of three because it caused some ridiculous lag. And the stages that have that "lag" feeling are the ones where I do that. Ive seen some weird things happen in dolphin which would mean its not actually lagging, but that could also be dolphin so its hard to say.
For other possible optimizations, Mipmaps are fairly low on my list of things to figure out in melee. I made a script that just grabs the 1st image in the tex0 file (contains multiple smaller textures sometimes). From the looks though the textures are already fairly low res so it might not help.

If you or anyone else want to start editing things in 3ds max before I import them let me know. I really dont know how to use it well so its quite a headache for me. I had hoped people would start producing stages for melee with brawlbox. With the intention of having them imported. The mountains are probably one stream. Though finding them without a model viewer that has a feature for that seems like a chore. Trust me I know.

As for the clipping, I dont think I can fix it unfortunately. If its possible its definitely related to the unknowns in the texture struct. Switching between 0x00040010 and 0x00050010 seems to have an effect on how transparency is handle as well as color.
Is this what your shadow flickering issue looks like?:

View attachment 79367

I knew I'd seen it in vanilla Melee before, and I found a way to easily reproduce it. Looks like it happens whenever two textures or objects are at the same z-index (probably the same for other axis too). I remember it appearing on some really old stage hacks too, with all vanilla structures. I imagine it was caused by structures (with textures) that were in the same position on one of their axis. (Also happens when you spawn a lot of the same item into the same space, iirc)

Maybe the game normally renders shadows onto a separate object from the texture, and offsets it slightly somehow. And so in the cases above with the flicking, they're not offset as they should be. Perhaps the positional data for a shadow could be compared to the positional data of something it's known to go with. If the pair doesn't have separate positional data, maybe this is something done automatically whenever the shadows are rendered, and they're not being offset for a different reason (flag? structure order or type?).

Just some thoughts.

Z zankyou Achilles1515 Achilles1515

zankyou

Smash Lord
So I know I said I was switching my main to falcon but...

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I cant tell if its scarier that Marth is a giant in brawl or that their swords are about the same size.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but I've got two more: would it possible to implement only certain parts of a Brawl skin and slap it onto a pre-existing, or "base", Melee character model (e.g. Just taking a helmet from a Falcon skin and throwing it onto Melee Falcon's model)?

Also, how well are metals functioning (if at all) for these imports? No clue if the application of metal textures works similarly in Brawl and Melee.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I have no idea what metals do for brawl so I just removed them. But Ill say that if they are used for the metal box then melee defaults to a different file for those textures.
And as far as merging models. It depends. If its something thats weighted to a single bone then probably. Melee bones and brawl bones are not the same so it might end up in a weird spot.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
1) Yes. The issue there came into play with assets that had rotation transformations. Looking at the star, since its in the right place means that the rotations are in order.
2) As for the background, this was made right before you found my error in the relocation table for multiple textures. If you look where the water is supposed to meet the night sky there are some weird transparency issues. Im hoping I can fix this but I dont know if I can. I tried fairly hard to make it as subtle as possible but its still glaring if you are looking for it.
3) Im trying to make it work with the current stages. For a stage as close as YS I really dont want to have to do the whole thing over.
4.1) Probably. I have to check my other harddrive but I import the mdl0 files for stages one by one and I cant remember the order I did this one in.
4.2) There are a lot of reasons for possible lag. One thing Im not certain of is whether or not its related to the way I was attempting to duplicate objects for multiple textures before. I know for castle battefield I could only have two textures that way for the water instead of three because it caused some ridiculous lag. And the stages that have that "lag" feeling are the ones where I do that. Ive seen some weird things happen in dolphin which would mean its not actually lagging, but that could also be dolphin so its hard to say.
For other possible optimizations, Mipmaps are fairly low on my list of things to figure out in melee. I made a script that just grabs the 1st image in the tex0 file (contains multiple smaller textures sometimes). From the looks though the textures are already fairly low res so it might not help.

If you or anyone else want to start editing things in 3ds max before I import them let me know. I really dont know how to use it well so its quite a headache for me. I had hoped people would start producing stages for melee with brawlbox. With the intention of having them imported. The mountains are probably one stream. Though finding them without a model viewer that has a feature for that seems like a chore. Trust me I know.

As for the clipping, I dont think I can fix it unfortunately. If its possible its definitely related to the unknowns in the texture struct. Switching between 0x00040010 and 0x00050010 seems to have an effect on how transparency is handle as well as color.
That would be awesome if you could get the script working for already created stages. I am about finished on a Python script that will completely remove a section of the DAT file and adjust all the pointers in the file appropriately. You simply designate a file offset and a length to remove, so it is not as robust as what it sounds like you have. All I've done is modify DRGN DRGN 's code that increases the file size.
The lag thing is interesting. I think I'm going to start messing around with Brawlbox some more.

Couple more things to discuss:

Let's go back to the Hyrule 64 import for a sec.
I finally reread Brandondorf's out-of-nowhere post about blending modes. I had a feeling this might have been the cause for the castle windows looking weird, and I found success. Changed the blending mode word at offset 0x8f134 from 01040105 to 01040505.

Capture2.PNG

Cool! I also rotated the top stone texture into correct place using the same method as I posted about for Yoshi's Fortune.
Now, if you watch Edwguard's video of the brawl import, you'll notice there are shadows underneath the platforms.
Capture.PNG

So I went into Brawlbox and found the platform objects.
Capture.PNG

That "model19" texture is a 32x32 white texture that is used for those shadows. It also has a blend structure.
http://imgur.com/a/4YxJy

That 32x32 white texture is included in the DAT import of yours. I figured fixing the shadow would be just changing the blending mode flags for that texture, identical to what I did for the castle windows. But after changing the blend mode flags, no shadow appeared. I tried messing with some of the material flags in combination with new blend mode flags and still couldn't get it to appear. What are your thoughts on this? Some other random flags (texture struct flags maybe?) that need to be set, or do you think/remember ignoring the placement of that object in your import or something?

Also, more textures appear in Brawlbox, than when I open up your import in DTW. Is there a reason you didn't import them?
Yes, I'd love to. Ideally some new ones and some of the old ones touched up.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
That would be awesome if you could get the script working for already created stages. I am about finished on a Python script that will completely remove a section of the DAT file and adjust all the pointers in the file appropriately. You simply designate a file offset and a length to remove, so it is not as robust as what it sounds like you have. All I've done is modify DRGN DRGN 's code that increases the file size.
The lag thing is interesting. I think I'm going to start messing around with Brawlbox some more.

Couple more things to discuss:

Let's go back to the Hyrule 64 import for a sec.
I finally reread Brandondorf's out-of-nowhere post about blending modes. I had a feeling this might have been the cause for the castle windows looking weird, and I found success. Changed the blending mode word at offset 0x8f134 from 01040105 to 01040505.

View attachment 116332

Cool! I also rotated the top stone texture into correct place using the same method as I posted about for Yoshi's Fortune.
Now, if you watch Edwguard's video of the brawl import, you'll notice there are shadows underneath the platforms.
View attachment 116333

So I went into Brawlbox and found the platform objects.
View attachment 116334

That "model19" texture is a 32x32 white texture that is used for those shadows. It also has a blend structure.
http://imgur.com/a/4YxJy

That 32x32 white texture is included in the DAT import of yours. I figured fixing the shadow would be just changing the blending mode flags for that texture, identical to what I did for the castle windows. But after changing the blend mode flags, no shadow appeared. I tried messing with some of the material flags in combination with new blend mode flags and still couldn't get it to appear. What are your thoughts on this? Some other random flags (texture struct flags maybe?) that need to be set, or do you think/remember ignoring the placement of that object in your import or something?

Also, more textures appear in Brawlbox, than when I open up your import in DTW. Is there a reason you didn't import them?

Yes, I'd love to. Ideally some new ones and some of the old ones touched up.
Yeah I did this stage before I found blend struct. I noticed the problem and spent a long time trying to fix it, but back then I didnt know of the struct that was needed. Its incorporated in all stages after I read that thread though. And as far as the shadows, because the model wasnt weighted I removed them because they were in a crazy position and the only way to fix it would be to guess and check by loading the game.Similarly with textures I couldnt get multiple textures working back then. Technically Im not sure if I have them working 100% since it seems that they dont work if the color group is activated. Ive come a long way in how I do things in the past year.

zankyou

Smash Lord
So before too many people start asking for character imports, if you want a character thats not marth, falcon, or mario this list has to be filled out. Its not hard but can be a bit tedious. Let me know if you are interested in helping here and Ill explain how it has to be done. Only requirement is that you have brawlbox.

List of Characters

Captain->74
Mario->9
Mars->141
------
End of List

Mario::61
Bone_0=TopN
Bone_1=TransN
Bone_2=XRotN
Bone_3=YRotN
Bone_4=HipN
Bone_5=WaistN
Bone_6=LShoulderN
Bone_7=LShoulderJA
Bone_8=LShoulderJ
Bone_9=LArmJ
Bone_10=LHandN
Bone_11=L1stNa
Bone_12=L1stNb
Bone_13=L2ndNa
Bone_14=L2ndNb
Bone_15=L3rdNa
Bone_16=L3rdNb
Bone_17=L4thNa
Bone_18=L4thNb
Bone_19=LThumbNa
Bone_20=LThumbNb
Bone_21=LHandNb
Bone_22=NeckN
Bone_23=HeadN
Bone_24=HatN
Bone_25=LHigeN
Bone_26=MouthN
Bone_27=NoseN
Bone_28=RHigeN
Bone_29=RShoulderN
Bone_30=RShoulderJA
Bone_31=RShoulderJ
Bone_32=RArmJ
Bone_33=RHandN
Bone_34=R1stNa
Bone_35=R1stNb
Bone_36=R2ndNa
Bone_37=R2ndNb
Bone_38=R3rdNa
Bone_39=R3rdNb
Bone_40=R4thNa
Bone_41=R4thNb
Bone_42=RHaveN
Bone_43=RThumbNa
Bone_44=RThumbNb
Bone_45=RHandNb
Bone_46=WaistNb
Bone_47=LLegJA
Bone_48=LLegJ
Bone_49=LKneeJ
Bone_50=LFootJA
Bone_51=LFootJ
Bone_52=LToeN
Bone_53=RLegJA
Bone_54=RLegJ
Bone_55=RKneeJ
Bone_56=RFootJA
Bone_57=RFootJ
Bone_58=RToeN
Bone_59=ThrowN
Bone_60=EyeYellowM
------
End of Bone Names

Captain::63
Bone_0=TopN
Bone_1=TransN
Bone_2=XRotN
Bone_3=YRotN
Bone_4=HipN
Bone_5=HolsterN
Bone_6=LLegA
Bone_7=LLegJ
Bone_8=LKneeJ
Bone_9=LFootJA
Bone_10=LFootJ
Bone_11=LToeN
Bone_12=RLegA
Bone_13=RLegJ
Bone_14=RKneeJ
Bone_15=RFootJA
Bone_16=RToeN
Bone_17=RFootJ
Bone_18=WaistN
Bone_19=BustN
Bone_20=CollarN
Bone_21=LShoulderN
Bone_22=LShoulderJA
Bone_23=LShoulderJ
Bone_24=LArmJ
Bone_25=LHandN
Bone_26=L1stNa
Bone_27=L1stNb
Bone_28=L2ndNa
Bone_29=L2ndNb
Bone_30=L3rdNa
Bone_31=L3rdNb
Bone_32=L4thNa
Bone_33=L4thNb
Bone_34=LHandBN
Bone_35=LThumbNa
Bone_36=LThumbNb
Bone_37=LSideN
Bone_38=NeckN
Bone_39=HeadN
Bone_40=MouthBN
Bone_41=MouthN
Bone_42=RShoulderN
Bone_43=PadN
Bone_44=RShoulderJA
Bone_45=RShoulderJ
Bone_46=RArmJ
Bone_47=RHandN
Bone_48=R1stNa
Bone_49=R1stNb
Bone_50=R2ndNa
Bone_51=R2ndNb
Bone_52=R3rdNa
Bone_53=R3rdNb
Bone_54=R4thNa
Bone_55=R4thNb
Bone_56=RHandBN
Bone_57=RHaveN
Bone_58=RThumbNa
Bone_59=RThumbNb
Bone_60=RSideN
Bone_61=ThrowN
Bone_62=ToothClose_ -(YellowEye?)
------
End of Bone Names

Mars::90
Bone_0=TopN
Bone_1=TransN
Bone_2=XRotN
Bone_3=YRotN
Bone_4=HipN
Bone_5=LLegJA
Bone_6=LLegJ
Bone_7=LKneeJ
Bone_8=LFootJA
Bone_9=LFootJ
Bone_10=LToeN
Bone_11=LLegS
Bone_12=RLegJA
Bone_13=RLegJ
Bone_14=RKneeJ
Bone_15=RFootJA
Bone_16=RFootJ
Bone_17=RToeN
Bone_18=RLegS
Bone_19=Saya01N
Bone_20=TsukaN
Bone_21=WaistN
Bone_22=BustN
Bone_23=Unk1
Bone_24=Unk2
Bone_25=LShoulderN
Bone_26=LArmor01N
Bone_27=LShoulderJA
Bone_28=LShoulderJ
Bone_29=LArmJ
Bone_30=LArmJb
Bone_31=LHandN
Bone_32=L1stNa
Bone_33=L1stNb
Bone_34=L2ndNa
Bone_35=L2ndNb
Bone_36=L3rdNa
Bone_37=L3rdNb
Bone_38=L4thNa
Bone_39=L4thNb
Bone_40=LHaveN
Bone_41=LThumbNa
Bone_42=LThumbNb
Bone_43=LShoulderJb
Bone_44=CMant01N
Bone_45=CMant01NM
Bone_46=CMant02N
Bone_47=CMant03N
Bone_48=CMant04N
Bone_49=LMant01N
Bone_50=LMant01NM
Bone_51=LMant02N
Bone_52=LMant03N
Bone_53=LMant04N
Bone_54=RMant01N
Bone_55=RMant01NM
Bone_56=RMant02N
Bone_57=RMant03N
Bone_58=RMant04N
Bone_59=NeckN
Bone_60=HeadN
Bone_61=Jaw01M
Bone_62=Jaw02M
Bone_63=Jaw03M
Bone_64=Jaw04M
Bone_65=Jaw05M
Bone_66=Jaw06M
Bone_67=RShoulderN
Bone_68=RArmor01N
Bone_69=RShoulderJA
Bone_70=RShoulderJ
Bone_71=RArmJ
Bone_72=RArmJb
Bone_73=RHandN
Bone_74=RHaveN
Bone_75=SwordN
Bone_76=SwordHeadN
Bone_77=R1stNa
Bone_78=R1stNb
Bone_79=R2ndNa
Bone_80=R2ndNb
Bone_81=R3rdNa
Bone_82=R3rdNb
Bone_83=R4thNa
Bone_84=R4thNb
Bone_85=RThumbNa
Bone_86=RThumbNb
Bone_87=RShoulderJb
Bone_88=ThrowN
Bone_89=EyeYellowM
------
End of Bone Names

To help, grab the bone zip from this thread.https://smashboards.com/threads/viewing-character-bones.439567/
And name those bones according to their brawl counterpart. If the bone doesnt exist dont worry about naming it. I just append an A or S at the end if it doesnt exist. Ill warn you though that if two melee bones are in the same spot that only one bone is in for brawl, the second bone is probably the corresponding one. Also if you can just rename them it brawlbox that would be preferable. Ill handle the final list.

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
God I hope I did this right
------
Falco::72
Bone_0=TopN
Bone_1=BlasterM
Bone_2=EyeYellowM
Bone_3=TransN
Bone_4=XRotN
Bone_5=YRotN
Bone_6=HipN
Bone_7=LLegJ
Bone_8=LKneeJ
Bone_9=LFootJ
Bone_10=LToeN
Bone_11=RLegJ
Bone_12=HolsterBN
Bone_13=HolsterFN
Bone_14=HolsterSN
Bone_15=RKneeJ
Bone_16=RFootJ
Bone_17=RToeN
Bone_18=ReflectorN
Bone_19=TailNa
Bone_20=TailNb
Bone_21=WaistN
Bone_22=BustN
Bone_23=BackN
Bone_24=BackE
Bone_25=CollarBN
Bone_26=CollarFN
Bone_27=LShoulderN
Bone_28=LShoulderJ
Bone_29=LArmJ
Bone_30=LASabN
Bone_31=LHandN
Bone_32=L1stNa
Bone_33=L1stNb
Bone_34=L2ndNa
Bone_35=L2ndNb
Bone_36=L3rdNa
Bone_37=L3rdNb
Bone_38=L4thNa
Bone_39=L4thNb
Bone_40=LHandNb
Bone_41=LHaveN
Bone_42=LThumbNa
Bone_43=LThumbNb
Bone_44=LSSabN
Bone_45=LZipperN
Bone_46=LZipperE
Bone_47=NeckN
Bone_48=HeadN
Bone_49=MouthN
Bone_50=ScopeN
Bone_51=RShoulderN
Bone_52=RShoulderJ
Bone_53=RArmJ
Bone_54=RASabN
Bone_55=RHandN
Bone_56=R1stNa
Bone_57=R1stNb
Bone_58=R2ndNa
Bone_59=R2ndNb
Bone_60=R3rdNa
Bone_61=R3rdNb
Bone_62=R4thNa
Bone_63=R4thNb
Bone_64=RHandNb
Bone_65=RHaveN
Bone_66=RThumbNa
Bone_67=RThumbNb
Bone_68=RSSabN
Bone_69=RZipperN
Bone_70=RZipperE
Bone_71=ThrowN
------
I would like to see the Smash 3 and Smash 3C characters imported into melee, they look like wiiu characters and probably have a smaller poly count too.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
God I hope I did this right
Falco::72
Bone_0=TopN
Bone_1=BlasterM
Bone_2=EyeYellowM
Bone_3=TransN
Bone_4=XRotN
Bone_5=YRotN
Bone_6=HipN
Bone_7=LLegJ
Bone_8=LKneeJ
Bone_9=LFootJ
Bone_10=LToeN
Bone_11=RLegJ
Bone_12=HolsterBN
Bone_13=HolsterFN
Bone_14=HolsterSN
Bone_15=RKneeJ
Bone_16=RFootJ
Bone_17=RToeN
Bone_18=ReflectorN
Bone_19=TailNa
Bone_20=TailNb
Bone_21=WaistN
Bone_22=BustN
Bone_23=BackN
Bone_24=BackE
Bone_25=CollarBN
Bone_26=CollarFN
Bone_27=LShoulderN
Bone_28=LShoulderJ
Bone_29=LArmJ
Bone_30=LASabN
Bone_31=LHandN
Bone_32=L1stNa
Bone_33=L1stNb
Bone_34=L2ndNa
Bone_35=L2ndNb
Bone_36=L3rdNa
Bone_37=L3rdNb
Bone_38=L4thNa
Bone_39=L4thNb
Bone_40=LHandNb
Bone_41=LHaveN
Bone_42=LThumbNa
Bone_43=LThumbNb
Bone_44=LSSabN
Bone_45=LZipperN
Bone_46=LZipperE
Bone_47=NeckN
Bone_48=HeadN
Bone_49=MouthN
Bone_50=ScopeN
Bone_51=RShoulderN
Bone_52=RShoulderJ
Bone_53=RArmJ
Bone_54=RASabN
Bone_55=RHandN
Bone_56=R1stNa
Bone_57=R1stNb
Bone_58=R2ndNa
Bone_59=R2ndNb
Bone_60=R3rdNa
Bone_61=R3rdNb
Bone_62=R4thNa
Bone_63=R4thNb
Bone_64=RHandNb
Bone_65=RHaveN
Bone_66=RThumbNa
Bone_67=RThumbNb
Bone_68=RSSabN
Bone_69=RZipperN
Bone_70=RZipperE
Bone_71=ThrowN

I used the smash 3 falco, does that matter? I would like to see the smash 3 characters imported, they probably have a smaller poly count too.
Oh man. I was gonna write a short guide on how exactly this has to be done when I got back. I didnt expect anyone to attempt to tackle it this fast. Unfortunately the melee bones and brawl bones do not share the same bone ordering. In brawl you can move the bone ordering around but you cant in melee. So this works best if you can find a melee character in brawl.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
:facepalm: oh well lol, mabe there's some overlap?

zankyou

Smash Lord
:facepalm: oh well lol, mabe there's some overlap?
Theres a lot of overlap since they still are the same characters. But the indexing might be a little off. In this case falco only has 66 bones in melee whereas he has 72 in brawl. In melee TransN is going to be index 01. Brawl cut corners on certain animations so theres probably not a BlasterM bone.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So without editing Brawl models in 3ds Max, is there any way to make these model imports “tournament viable”? aka collision bubble locations are kept in the exact same location. I assume the answer is no, because collision bubbles seemed to be directly tied to bone locations. And if I am understanding your import logic correctly, you are modifying Melee bones to be in the same location as Brawl bones so that the model animates correctly.

On a side note, my initial attempts to install 3ds Max have failed (the extractor hangs), and with a little research it looks like the likely cause is the firewall on my [work] laptop that I cannot control. Gonna try a few more things, though. My goal with 3ds Max is to attempt to edit stage models so that the tops of platforms are separate models so that we can cast character shadows on only the top of platforms and not the sides and underside of platforms. I really need to get my desktop computer back up and running.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
So without editing Brawl models in 3ds Max, is there any way to make these model imports “tournament viable”? aka collision bubble locations are kept in the exact same location. I assume the answer is no, because collision bubbles seemed to be directly tied to bone locations. And if I am understanding your import logic correctly, you are modifying Melee bones to be in the same location as Brawl bones so that the model animates correctly.

On a side note, my initial attempts to install 3ds Max have failed (the extractor hangs), and with a little research it looks like the likely cause is the firewall on my [work] laptop that I cannot control. Gonna try a few more things, though. My goal with 3ds Max is to attempt to edit stage models so that the tops of platforms are separate models so that we can cast character shadows on only the top of platforms and not the sides and underside of platforms. I really need to get my desktop computer back up and running.
Not really. I could what I did here

and just cut the weights out for the parts of the model that mess up during animations. Alternatively if I could get brawl box to do what I want it has the ability to move the bones around without moving the model or alternatively moving both around. The issue here is that brawl bones are weird.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Not really. I could what I did here

and just cut the weights out for the parts of the model that mess up during animations. Alternatively if I could get brawl box to do what I want it has the ability to move the bones around without moving the model or alternatively moving both around. The issue here is that brawl bones are weird.
That Falcon looks great to me, at least in that still image.

I had hoped people would start producing stages for melee with brawlbox. With the intention of having them imported.
Good news for you, Zankyou, is that I am here to make your hopes and dreams come true!

I "made" the following stage in BrawlBox.

Capture.PNG

Source - Suzaku Castle Smash3DS

Simple big background is imported from Hyrule 64 (image to be edited later). A Anutim successfully split the top of the platforms from the side and underside, like I stated in an above post. But while importing it back in the shading was lost on everything. I decided to use what he did in a different way since I still can't mess with 3ds Max. I made a completely separate 3DModel of the platform tops and changed their texture to a 4x4 green CMPR image. Underneath this model are the regular platforms tops. The green is just a placeholder as well for you to easily see it - once it is in Melee, the CMPR texture will be converted to fully transparent and then the flag will be set to enable character shadows to be cast on the object. So if my logic is correct, it should look exactly like the character shadows are only on the tops of the platforms. This new bone also has a Y-translation of 0.01 so it is slightly higher than the actual platform top for safety.

Capture.PNG

Seems like it would be an easy one for you. There are only a couple objects.
Suzaka Platform Hyrule.PAC

Here is also the "full" version with the future platform shadows. I don't know anything about how many polygons is too many polyons to introduce any lag, which is why I made the "safe" version above.

Capture3.PNG

Suzaku Platforms Edit.PAC

Let me know your thoughts!

zankyou

Smash Lord
That Falcon looks great to me, at least in that still image.

Good news for you, Zankyou, is that I am here to make your hopes and dreams come true!

I "made" the following stage in BrawlBox.

View attachment 116483
Source - Suzaku Castle Smash3DS

Simple big background is imported from Hyrule 64 (image to be edited later). A Anutim successfully split the top of the platforms from the side and underside, like I stated in an above post. But while importing it back in the shading was lost on everything. I decided to use what he did in a different way since I still can't mess with 3ds Max. I made a completely separate 3DModel of the platform tops and changed their texture to a 4x4 green CMPR image. Underneath this model are the regular platforms tops. The green is just a placeholder as well for you to easily see it - once it is in Melee, the CMPR texture will be converted to fully transparent and then the flag will be set to enable character shadows to be cast on the object. So if my logic is correct, it should look exactly like the character shadows are only on the tops of the platforms. This new bone also has a Y-translation of 0.01 so it is slightly higher than the actual platform top for safety.

View attachment 116485

Seems like it would be an easy one for you. There are only a couple objects.
Suzaka Platform Hyrule.PAC

Here is also the "full" version with the future platform shadows. I don't know anything about how many polygons is too many polyons to introduce any lag, which is why I made the "safe" version above.

View attachment 116486

Suzaku Platforms Edit.PAC

Let me know your thoughts!
Interesting idea. So from now on we could just take 1 object thats simply 4 vertices and has a transparent image. Then copy it for every platform and use the same material struct on it. It would fix the issue of shadows being on the sides and since its just around 12~16 verts shouldnt hurt any performance.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Interesting idea. So from now on we could just take 1 object thats simply 4 vertices and has a transparent image. Then copy it for every platform and use the same material struct on it. It would fix the issue of shadows being on the sides and since its just around 12~16 verts shouldnt hurt any performance.
That's the idea. I think it will work, but we need to test it.

zankyou

Smash Lord
So now that the sub forum has been changed to customized models, and this thread is called model imports, should I keep characters in this thread.
At first I thought it was a good idea, but the more I think about it, if people start changing the textures on characters this thread could blow up really fast. No one seems to want to spend the effort editing stages except Achilles, but that might not hold true for characters.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread for character model imports. (It will still probably be a while until many people are able to do it though, so I don't think it warrants a new subforum.)

zankyou

Smash Lord
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Im not sure why your images are down in the OP but could you reupload a screen shot of them. I should probably include a spoiler for the things you changed as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom