• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mobile Suit Gundam: The General Gundam thread. Unicorn site is up and running.

Darkslash

Smash Master

Possibly my favorite Anime series. Gundam has been airing since 1979, and it still airing through Gundam 00.

Gundam has around 7 time lines, 6 presumably branch off of Anno Domini while Anno Domini being its own time line. The other 6 time line's are

1)Universal Century:
The original and most developed time line. With Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counter attack to name some. Had one of the best and worst Gundam series.
2)Future Century
The G Gundam Universe.
3)After Colony
Gundam Wing. The series that brought Gundam to mainstream America.
4)After War
Gundam X time line. Series is mostly forgotten
5)Common Century
The most chronologically confusing timeline. ∀(Turn A) Gundam takes place here with numerous references to other series
6)Cosmic Era
This was a "modernized" version of Universal Century. Unfortunately it became the most hated in the series with reused battle scenes, copied mechs with the same name and some episodes almost doing nothing but talk. Destiny was a huge culprit of this as there were numerous flashbacks from the first series and reviving a dead guy. Also changing the main Protagonist to a secondary character as well.
7)Anno Domini
The first real time line used in a Gundam series. Anno Domini takes place in the year 2307-2312.

Gundam is turning 30 years old on April 7. Seeing Gundam 00 will end on an estimated March 28th and presumably Full Metal will also do a 25 episode run like the 2 other shows that occupied it time slot, the new Gundam based on the Universal Century will be out in the fall.

Turns out our 30th anniversary gift..is a game...a good looking one at that though.

So discuss any thing here from the anime, the games, the novels and GUNPLA.

UPDATE

Gundam Unicorn English site is up and running.
http://www.gundam-unicorn.net/en/index.html

Spring 2010

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love Gundam, especially the UC ones.

Tomino is too good. I rewatched 0079 and it's a masterpiece.
I haven't really gotten into 00 yet. I've only watched 12 episodes of season 1. I might hold off until season 2 is done so I can breeze through it.

When exactly does it get better? Or do I not have an acquired taste for 00? That'd be a shame. I've loved every single series of Gundam so far.

Darkslash

Smash Master

When exactly does it get better? Or do I not have an acquired taste for 00? That'd be a shame. I've loved every single series of Gundam so far.
Around 15. But then Season 2 has this stupid shallow dip that kinda messed it up. I advise you skip some episodes.

You also like Destiny? That's an amazing feat.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You also like Destiny? That's an amazing feat.
Er... Yeah, forgot about that one. LOL

I suppose I did enjoy the beginning with Shin. It all fell apart quickly though.
Stupid Saviour Gundam gets in one fight and it loses to Kira...

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
wasnt there already a gundam thread a long time ago.
and i dont mean the gundam 00 thread.

i freaking love gundam, my favorite is probably g gundam
then the uc ones
gundam 00 was only enjoyable the first season, i found second season enjoyable to a certain extent then it started to go downhill. i havent seen the past few eps so i hope it has picked up with only i think 6 eps left.

i collect gunpla
i only have a few compared to some other fans. around 10 or so.
planning to buy more when i get the chance
there is an anime jungle near where i live so i can go and look at there gunpla as soon as there released
i also have some pvc's and figurings of some of the pilots and other cast members

i dont really care for the games or novels

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh, and for some reason, I love Gundam games (the good ones).

I like the Gamecube one called Gundam: The Ace Pilot.
And I also like the Versus games too.

I never get sick of playing through UC timelines. It's like WW2, but better. LOL.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Any of you guys watched IGLOO? In my english class I all did was act like Kuspen. I did great :laugh:

Ohh yea the new UC gundam

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-said-to-be-revealed-in-gundam-ace-manga-mag
The story will star Hugues Couraud, a 32-year-old officer in command of the Earth Federation's Phantom Sweep Team. The special operations unit is ordered to hunt down the remnants of the losing Zeon forces after the end of the One Year War of the first Gundam series. When he was young, he once had his entire unit wiped out.

The other main character from the Phantom Sweep Team is a 24-year-old woman named Sherry Allison. She was a test pilot for prototype units, but she has been assigned to the special operations team to fill its ranks. On the opposing Zeon side is Eric Blanke, a 20-year-old male officer born to a prominent family in the Principality of Zeon. He is leading the counteroffensive unit named Invincible Knights to avenge the Zeons' loss to the Earth Federation.

The story is set in 0081 of the Universal Calendar, one year after end of the One Year War. While peace and order are being restored to the world, small-scale battles still crop up here and there due to Zeon remnants continuing to offer resistance. A veteran Earth Federation officer assigned to mopping up the remaining Zeon forces, and a young officer executing a top secret operation to revive the Zeons, cross paths on this new battlefield.

Looks a bit SEEDy but its an bridge of Gundam and Zeta, so I can't wait to see this.

EDIT:
LOL Acguy feels left out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I was hoping for Tomino to return for the 30th anniversary Gundam. Kind of like what he did with Turn A.

They haven't revealed who's directing this yet, have they?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've enjoyed the Gundam series, but I've only seen a few. G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed(never watched the second season, heard enough bad things to avoid it) and Gundam 00 both seasons, though I've missed the last one because it's getting less interesting each episode.
I liked Gundam Wing and G Gundam.
Gundam Wing has nostalgia to go with it, first Gundam and well show of the Mecha genre that I watched. It's been so long though so I don't know what I'd think about it if I saw it again.
G Gundam, how can I not like something so hotblooded.

So anyways, with a new show coming out in a pre-established universe it might be a good time to ask for a list of the order I should watch older shows that I missed.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I like UC a lot, I tend to wonder how much more story can they put right after the One Year War? It's beginning to get clustered now.

And the character do look a little SEED-y. But it's nice to see an older protagonist every once in awhile.

Oh, and my favorite non-Tomino UC story would be Gundam 08th MS Team. I loved the story in that. It really went past my expectations.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Too bad the director of 08th MS Team died before the last episode.

The last episode was really boring.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Except when that GM Sniper got owned. I mean GM Sniper was a cool guy. doesn't afraid of Zaku's or space ships.
Wait, I'm talking about the last last episode. The one with the weird kids.

It's actually been awhile since I've seen 08th.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
The one Gundam series I really got into was G-Gundam during it's Toonami run a few years back. Wing was a bit before my time, and I was "too young" for Evangelion, so it and Beast Wars were pretty much the only mech shows I got to watch.

Loved it, though. Loved it to death. I've wanted to get into the other shows ever since.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
G Gundam was before Wing but aired in the US after? lol wth?
G Gundam was the first timeline outside the UC timeline

only character i liked in the CE was athrun and lunamaria
lol destiny only good thing of destiny was the zaku cause lunamaria's was fuchsia(sp?)
freaking bandai trying to make 89237923 versions of the strike and selling it

Evangelion is too good. I love that more

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm still waiting for them to make an Anime version of The Last Outpost. That manga was pretty good, though it was only 3 volumes long.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Wait, I'm talking about the last last episode. The one with the weird kids.
Ohh that last episode. Lol at Micheal(?) boozing up because he got dumped.

Evangelion is too good. I love that more
Evagelion was okay. Not my cup of tea.

I'm still waiting for them to make an Anime version of The Last Outpost. That manga was pretty good, though it was only 3 volumes long.
Wing is pretty much done, and they already did an OVA. Of course the said could of been said about that new Gundam set in 0081 but that's more of a bridge of Gundam and Zeta.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Any one here do GUNPLA? I'm buying a OYW HGUC RX-78-2 with some tools and a fine tip if I can find them. Here's what its supposed to look like.

Not bad for a 10$ set.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
ya i do gunpla but i'm probably not buying some new ones till AX.
there is a bandai gunpla booth there that usually has older ones
so i dont have to order online
also there is an anime jungle near where i live that have older models too
they also sell the markers to do touch ups

is that one a 1/144? pretty good for $10

Darkslash

Smash Master

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
did anyone else read the news that bandai is going to make a 1/1 scale RX-78-2 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Gundam? I would link a source but its in japanese. lol

Darkslash

Smash Master
did anyone else read the news that bandai is going to make a 1/1 scale RX-78-2 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Gundam? I would link a source but its in japanese. lol
yea complete with 30 lights and vents for its backpack.

Goddam how much money did bandai make off its GUNPLA!?

Any ways buying a 1/144 00 Gundam..too bad you have to paint it to get it to look properly..but I can do that when I get more experience. Also they discontinued the HGUC sets at stores..

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Are you serious? A 1/1 scale Gundam!?

Actually... it kinda makes me wonder what took so long.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
Are you serious? A 1/1 scale Gundam!?

Actually... it kinda makes me wonder what took so long.
i know thats pretty crazy
im hoping for a zaku for the 40th or something
50th celebration better be ridiculously cool

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I really enjoy the Gundam series. I remember watching Gundam Wing when i was a kid. It was like....awesome. Seriously. I didn't really get that one episode, but ever since, i was liked hooked to that show.

Then i watched G Gundam. It was pretty cool when i watched it. I didn't get to finish the series, but yeah, i enjoyed it.

Then i watched Gundam Seed. I really liked it. I liked the story (like with Kira fighting for his friends and giving no sympathy to Athrun lol). As for Destiny, it was kind of meh for me.

Right now, i'm watching Gundam 00. It's like...my favourite of the entire Gundam series right now. I just finished season 1 yesterday. I'm hooked to this anime. So yeah, i think that the Gundam series is awesome lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess I'm the only one not "clicking" with 00.
I'll give it another chance when I have time.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
wow...
just wow...

Sunrise/Bandai has been disappointing me

Spire

III
BRoomer
Darkslash, my respect for you just jumped a couple flights. Gundam is so nostalgic. I was introduced of course, by Gundam Wing, but I was HUGE on the model building of Gundams from across the series.

GOUF CUSTOM is my absolute favorite mobile suit ever:

Darkslash

Smash Master
Darkslash, my respect for you just jumped a couple flights. Gundam is so nostalgic. I was introduced of course, by Gundam Wing, but I was HUGE on the model building of Gundams from across the series.

GOUF CUSTOM is my absolute favorite mobile suit ever:

3 Human types, guarding 3 tanks. These human types have beam weaponry! The Kurgis(?) will be easy pickings by them.

Norris and his Gouf are awesome. But can't forget Ramba Ral. No Zaku boy NO ZAKU!

I just finished a good HG 00 2 weeks ago too.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm still a little disappointed with the new Gundam series that was revealed.
It's the 30th(?) anniversary for Gundam, they really could've done better.

I'm all for a UC Gundam storyline, but nothing close to the One Year War.
I'm not sick of it, but there's only so much you can do. It's ridiculous.

They should've done one further into the future like V Gundam (but Tomino hates V Gundam).
UC shouldn't mean "One Year War", it should really be about the original essence of Gundam.

Oh, I'm going to be watching all of 00 season one real soon.
I'm starting to get into Gundam mode again.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
My favorite Gundam: Deathscythe
Favorite Pilot: Kira

So far, 00 hasn't disappointed me.

Top Bottom