• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOAST Circuit -- The Texas/Oklahoma Circuit (first post updated w/ Point structure)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The points being awarded to teams rather than individuals sounds prime to me. It would encourage to experiment what team works best for you so that you and your partner can benefit the most. That way there is no team whorring going on.

Also, in reference to the OOSers attending this, I had a questions. Is the MOAST Circuit just Oklahoma and Texas or all of the Southwest? I'm from New Mexico and I get my provisionals in June and I would be very interested in attending some of these tournaments. So say by the off chance I were to place in a ranking position, would I be awarded points or not? Is New Mexico and the other Southwest states to be just left out of this whole ordeal?

bluezaft

The True Zaft
The points being awarded to teams rather than individuals sounds prime to me. It would encourage to experiment what team works best for you so that you and your partner can benefit the most. That way there is no team whorring going on.
No, it would encourage teams never to change partners, even if there is someone better you can team with, because it would result in losing all your points. Also, it would make your points dependent not only on your ability to attend, but also your partner's. If the points are given to individuals, you're free to change teams at any time and not suffer a penalty.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Right now, there are not plans to award points to out of staters. One factor is a stodgy philosophical view on my part.

I'm willing to make compromises. For instance, We can give points to nearby states (Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico...) but not have them be a part of the Circuit rotation. That is a consolation prize at best, considering OOSers will almost by definition be attending Circuit events less frequently.

Part of it is an issue of scale. A lot of what we're talking about is pretty ambitious, but in terms of scale we are starting very small.

I absolutely would love for Out of Staters to attend and do not want to do anything to discourage them. In that sense, it might be silly for us to restrict points -- after all, if Ken or Forward or whoever travels to enough circuit events to take away the final prize, then we're in good shape indeed.

At the same time, the MOAST philosophy has always been "local first, national second." We want to blow away the local community with awesome incentives and coolness, which hopefully results in OOS attention simply because they see what an effective tournament it is.

Edit: A valid point in regards to teams below, but I'm not that worried. If Caveman decides to team with me in order to boost my points total cuz he's such a nice guy, the only people gaining points will be our opponents :p In theory, while both players on that "imbalanced" team win 16 points, the better player would have 200 while the lesser player has... 16.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
However, that could potentially encourage teaming up less skilled people with more skilled people. By this I mean that a single person could carry the weight of the team, directly influencing the less skilled person's points, giving off an inaccurate representation of their team playing ability.

In regards to you, Scav, that makes sense. I can see where you are coming from. Regardless, points or not, I'm interested in going simply to improve my own playing ability. I mean, that's what the game is about, no? Not points but meeting others and having a good time while improving your capacity.

Mr.C

Smash Master
However, that could potentially encourage teaming up less skilled people with more skilled people. By this I mean that a single person could carry the weight of the team, directly influencing the less skilled person's points, giving off an inaccurate representation of their team playing ability.
No good player that is playing to win money will jeopardize his chance to get top 3 by playing with a scrub lols.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Just so everyone knows, I'm going to be out of town until Sunday. Please direct any questions to Sintenal. He may not know anything, but his answers will be funny.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
lol Sintenal.

MrC that isn't entirely true because I thought about the team upbringing as well.

Caveman usually teams with Taylor for fun, and if he does this at a local 8x or 16x tourney then yeah she can get a little boost over time and other people would definitely ***** about that.

felix45

Smash Lord
Ok, I have 1 problem with the way points are going to work or will be working.

First I need clarification on HOW they are working with teams. Will team and individual points add together for just 1 grand total at the end of the circuit, or will individual and 2v2 points be in seprate catagories?

If they are combined I have a bone to pick with the way the points are to work! anyone know?

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
Just so everyone knows, I'm going to be out of town until Sunday. Please direct any questions to Sintenal. He may not know anything, but his answers will be funny.
great now i have to be funny, THANKS ALOT YOU JERK

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Another problem I have with the individual point system for teams. Teams are in and of themselves something different from singles, why should they be treated as such? Singles points should be based on an individual's ability and team points should be based on the ability of the team as a whole. That is what teams are.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Teams points have to go to individual people, not the team itself. Getting to a tournament is oftentimes hard enough, but if your teammate has something come up and can't make it you shouldn't be penalized anymore than having to find another teammate.

Also teams and singles points should be in separate categories. If they aren't I'll yell at Scav until they are.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Attention, Texans!

Please start using the Tio Tournament Organizer. You will be happy that you did. If you can't get it to work for whatever reason, TM is still great, but...

Please send me your tournament results. The full ones. If you've run a tournament with more than 16 people in the past few months, send me the results so we can compile them.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I just DL'd Tio and went thru the tutorial. I must say, it is really awesome and will be a great asset to running tourneys more efficiently and easily.

Top Bottom