• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOAST Circuit -- The Texas/Oklahoma Circuit (first post updated w/ Point structure)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lmao I could see you as a pirate Ben. I wonder what I would be >_>...

artarian

Smash Journeyman
expect "The Zev Guarders" to come and rock house in teams tournaments, unless hylian doesnt want to team with me anymore, or of course some1 better wants to team with me, hehehe, just kidding.....maybe :chuckle:

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
yeah, banned,

and art, me and fro challenge you and hylian to a team match ^.^

tsetse

Smash Lord
Noobs, just cuz you cant get out of it don't make it an infinite........ wait a second.

Velox

Smash Ace
If we have a Magnolia tournament, it will be banned, unless the circut organizers force us to have it otherwise.

I think it's funny that tsetse can't even have an avatar because of the rediculous sig. :laugh:

My Evangelion avatar's beastly.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
there would still be a singles and doubles fee, but those who come in costume wouldnt have to pay the ENTRY fee...there'd still be a pot. and it has to be a real costume...a good costume...not throw on a ballcap and say you're ness...

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I think I'm going to be dressed as a self-hating gay man.

Xelic, can I borrow some clothes?

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I'll probably bring my cosplay that I will have used for AKON, just because I doubt I'll have any other costume <.<

I guess that means I'll have to keep my hair the same. Oh well, I kinda like it better now anyway.

Scav, August sounds great for Austin. I'll start making plans um, as soon as I can. Might have to wait till after school is out.

Also, team Austin, Bish! and/or team Sword of DK is accepting any teams challenges as well. or at least this half of it is, but I'm sure Austin and Rayz won't mind.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
You guys may dress up as whatever you like, just as long as nobody copies my costume. I'm going as JF!!!

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Now this I gotta see...

Also, if for some reason I don't come in costume, will you accuse me of copying you? O.o

Mr.C

Smash Master
im going as brad pitt....o wait i always look like bradpitt.....

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Scav, can you update first post to include Monthly breakdowns ? Like for example :

June :
16th : Valley
23rd : Magnolia

July :
3rd : SA
17th : Dallas

It would make browsing through dates and locations much easier.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
there would still be a singles and doubles fee, but those who come in costume wouldnt have to pay the ENTRY fee...there'd still be a pot. and it has to be a real costume...a good costume...not throw on a ballcap and say you're ness...
LOL

Of course not, I'll come dressed appropriately. Got to get me an eye patch, one with a skull on it too, yeah!

TGM

Smash Lord
I have a question.

Since one of the MOAST things are going to magnolia......is it a TX and OK thing only or can OOS people come?

cause if OOS people can come i was wondering if you would allow me to advertise HOST2(since it was canceled) with the MOASTname on it so that way it will attract a massive crowd.

do u see what im saying? or is it a dumb idea?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
When are you planning to hold Host2?

OOSers are definitely welcome, but they will be excluded from the point system. Points for the end-of-year prize are only awarded to people who contribute to the Region's community. Right now, the plan is that if an OOSer wins first, those points simply won't be awarded. So, if Gabe gets 1st, Caveman gets second and Jesusfreak gets 3rd, then they get 45/30/15 points respectively. If Ken gets first, Ragnorok gets 2nd, and Xelic gets 3rd, then only 30 and 15 points are awarded.

MOAST, as always, is about building the Texas community first. If OOSers come, I want them to because it's a **** good tournament, not because of money.

TGM

Smash Lord
HOST2 was march 17th-18th but it got screwed up by EVO(waste) and then the LAN center shut down that was hodling HOST2.

so my question is, could we attach HOST2 to the magnolia tourney ONLY? that way it can bring lots of OOS people........its your shin-dig so yes or no.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Actually, it's Magnolia's shin-dig. You'll have to talk to them about it.

My plan is still to have the regional tournaments retain their identity. So, if they wanted it to be HOST, then it would be HOST2 - Magnolia, September 18th [MOAST Circuit]

Regional name first, MOAST tag second.

I actually want fairly little to do with the actual planning of the regional events. That's y'alls job. So, ask Magnolia if they want it to be a HOST, or start looking at Venues in Houston to have one of your own ;)

Edit: You didn't sound rude at all ;) it's a very valid question.

TGM

Smash Lord
i didnt mean to sound rude or anything. and yes, ill ask them magnolian fools. thanks scav.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can't wait for Host 2 lol. I'ma get all the samus's to go!!!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Alright friends, lets talk about Points!

Here is the scheme Wobbles and I drafted in a Jack in the Box. That... makes it sound terribly unprofessional, but trust me when I say there's a lot of love put into it.

The X System:
There are two kinds of MOAST tournaments. Right now, I am calling them Local and Regional. A better name might be Regional and Major, or Local and Major, etc.

A Regional tournament (also called a "Circuit Event") is a once-a-month event that is held in a different location each time. It gives the state community a series of decently-sized events while taking the strain off of any particular region -- with the number of regions in Texas, it can be more than 6 months between regional events in a single city.

In order to qualify as a Regional event, the tournament host must get in contact with the circuit organizers well in advance. You must have an established date and a venue able to support at least 30 people. The circuit organizers will provide you with benefits and promotion. In exchange, the current plan is for 10% of the pot to go towards a grand prize, and surplus registration fees to go towards benefits for that region, as well as future events. This is vague, I know, but those will be outlined as the date for the May event approaches.

Circuit organizers will be active in helping the Regional hosts plan the event.

Local events are much looser. There are only two restrictions: a region can't host more than one per month, and it can't fall on Regional Event dates.

The reason for local events is the time between Regionals. Dallas' first tournament will be in April, but after that the earliest date available is October. With the current spike in activity, many cities are hosting tournaments weekly. This is an effort to bring them into the fold, and reward attendance to these smaller tournaments.

These will be completely autonomous, beyond a cursory approval by the Circuiteers. Once again, the main requirement is that it not conflict with a Regional.

Also, for current purposes, most "regions" will be centered around major cities. Houston and Magnolia cannot each have a Local, nor can Plano and Dallas. San Antonio and Austin are the exception, as they are close together but are fairly autonomous.

The Point System
Points are awarded based on tournament placings. In the case of teams, your team will be awarded points, not the individual. If you change partners, you will start with a fresh score. This is up for debate, as it is admittedly not an ideal solution.

Points will be awarded based on an "x" system.

Local Tournaments -

4x / 8-16 People
1: 4
2: 3
3: 2
4: 1

8x / 17-32 People
1: 8
2: 7
3: 6
4: 5
5: 3
5: 3
7: 1
7: 1

Regional Events

16x / 33-64 People
1: 16
2: 12
3: 8
4: 6
5: 4
5: 4
7: 2
7: 2

32x / 65-128 People
1: 32
2: 24
3: 16
4: 12
5: 6
5: 6
7: 4

48x / 128+
1: 48
2: 32
3: 24
4: 16
5: 8
5: 8

Local events will not have more than 8 points, regardless of attendance. Regionals are guaranteed at least 16 points.

Right now, the base unit is 1 8x event. So, as you can see from the math, if you win a 16x event, 2nd place needs only to win a single 8x in order to pass you in points. This is another part up for negotiation -- the weights are very important, as I want winning a Regional to have a strong effect on the rankings, while leaving traveling to local events as a viable (but difficult) option.

There will be prizes for the top 3 points-holders in 1v1s and Teams at the end of the year.

There will also be other incentives to have points. I don't have any particulars yet, but consider there being a scaling system where participants receive (omg) a tshirt. Or a tea kettle. Or something.

So there is the skeleton. Fire away. Tell me what you want, or don't want, or what you think is ridiculous.

Mr.C

Smash Master
you can do teams kinda like how the wow arena does it

have a team of 3-4 meaning you can use those 3-4 people at tourneys without having to reset you team scores.

felix45

Smash Lord
yeah teams I was confused about, a bit more clarification on the team point system please?

other than that looks great :) how many points do you suppose will get you such consolation prizes like a Tshirt or whatever?

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure they both get their own points...I don't think Scav even talked about Teams specifically, just placement points.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Well Wombat, my plan was to do it based on Team, not on the individual team members. Buuut, thus far that idea seems very unpopular. If it offers no benefit, and just makes things difficult for people then it's not worth doing.

So, individual team points. This brings up another question, though -- scale.

A 32 person teams tournament is only 16 teams. Should it count as 16x or 32x? I could justify it as the 32 points being "split between" the two teammates, so 32 becomes 16 and 16, but to be honest, I don't know what the right solution is here.

On the one hand, it seems odd that you would get the same number of points for beating half the number of "opponents". On the other, teams is a different game. And, should I be worried about 1v1 and 2v2 being on a different "scale," where the frontrunner in 1v1 has 133 points while the frontrunner in 2v2 only has 68?

bluezaft

The True Zaft
It doesn't really matter what number of points you get in teams, as long as a consistent scale is used, since there's a separation between team points and 1v1 points (at least that's how I'm reading it). The split for teams could be 160/120/80... or any other combination, since all they are are points. Whoever wins the most teams tournaments will get the most points, that's all that matters.

If teams and 1v1 points are counted as the same, I think the same numbers should be used from 1v1, so team members would split the 16 points for 1st in a 16x tournament, each getting 8.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
I guess the separation between the members works, but I though Mr. C's idea was interesting. If you did teams on a different point scale, having a team be 3 or 4 people instead of just 2 could be very interesting. Especially so if you were allowed to change the team for each individual match. That would add some interesting depth into teams. Just an idea for if you wanted to change things up from the norm.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Mr C's concept is fascinating, but it's... inelegant. It would require us to write up a bunch of rules just to run a normal teams tournament.

Simplicity is king, so I vastly prefer individual scores to an alternate system.

Top Bottom