• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOAST Circuit -- The Texas/Oklahoma Circuit (first post updated w/ Point structure)

Velox

Smash Ace
Pound 2 is on the 16th, so both the 9th and 23rd conflict equaly.

Scav, my only 2 problems with the 9th are:

A.) It is very likely that the 9th will be very close to the TBAed May event, thereby dwindelling out tourney numbers.

B.) The 9th will probably be booked by like tommorow, due to its realative closeness to Magnolia's high school graduation, and because it is just plain closer to today's date.

I dunno though, I'll give people a day to post/think about this before I do anything else. Me and G@BE are leaving now to a Houston fest, we'll take pictures on the way of the venue and post them here.

Also, Scav, are we going to make a seperate thread for each tournament once we know they are going to happen? How else will people know about the tournaments? What do we call each tournament? Does god really exist?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Edit: Here's a weird question. If I offered to buy old, beaten controllers from you for $5, would you do it? You = everyone.
Are you gonna offer this still? Because i have somewhere around 3-5 old controllers laying around that have been discarded in preference of newer ones :)

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I thought pound was the 23rd and 24th, my bad. I'd love to have a tourney here in May because I miss hosting. :( The problem right now is venue. SA has a good one and I have none. :ohwell:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I can't speak for those that would be organizing it, but if April or May is still open, I think Oklahoma could have something set up by then. I'll talk to our resident organizers and see if we can't get something off the ground by then.

I was meaning to post something sooner, but I was waiting to see what everyone's response would be. Glad to see you back in the swing of things, Scav! My Luigi still owes your Mario one. Hopefully we can settle it soon...

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Excellent an all counts!

For controllers:
Yes I'm still interested in buying some to set up a stockpile of "rentals." All I ask is that they be in a playable condition for a normal player. Loose buttons and sticks are ok and expected, but please don't try to sell me a controller where the rubber has rubbed off the control stick, or the x button doesn't press anymore :p

The going rate remains $5. I'll be renting them for free, of course, either all day with an id for collateral, or for the duration of a match without.

Po pi: I'm very interested in a tournament in Oklahoma. I'm going to be up front right now -- I dont know how well this will work. It all depends on how much everyone is willing to travel. I *do* plan on having incentives for people to attend every tournament (hot tip - start putting together your regional crew teams now!), but it all depends on mobility.

Right now the only open slot for a circuit tournament is May. If Oklahoma can get a venue and get a tournament going some time around May 19th, that would be ideal.

But, Oklahoma might decide it would be better to host a post-FC tournament in August. It's a long way off, but it might serve as a better kick-start to the fall season.

Also, tournament hosts, be thinking of ways to make your tournament unique. [Lame analogy] I envision them being like the Final Fantasy games -- each having the same chocobos, themes and icons, but with a distinct feel.[/analogy] Try to move beyond the "low tier/crew battle" method of making a tournament interesting and plan a side event or two that reflects your region's personality.

This is why I want the regional events to keep their names. The April event will be Do a Barrel Roll 3, for instance. I'm hoping the circuit will consist of a buffet of OHSNAPs, WYTMs, HOSTs, DaBRs, Blueforks, and maybe even a Gaybar. These are easily recognizable names, and something that each region can take pride in hosting.

tsetse

Smash Lord
As always prolly the texas area with the biggest smash community is forgotten about. The valley is home to at least 4 crews. Leprechaun wants to host a tourney down here. What dates are available? We have a venue, actually the guy running the venue is a big smash fan, he's on the boards as Textbook ninja. Now only thing we need from the rest of the state, is support. We have hosted numerous tourneys with months of notice before the tournies but someone always manages to host a tournie in san antonio or somewhere else that keeps people from showing up to ours. We are more that willing to host another big tournie if we cant have an exclusive date. I have crystal cities support, some of mexico and possibly laredo. With Upper state support i am sure we can break 100 people. No Johns valley has traveled numerous time up state its now ya'lls turn to return the favor, trust me it will be fun we will host house you and take care of you. And for those that have never been to mexico Ill give you a tour of it if you have the time for it. So yeah we have a venue at our diposal just give us the date, remember exlusive.

Velox

Smash Ace
Okay, I think I have decided upon renting the venue for the 23rd of June. I'll rent it Monday unless someone, over the weekend, posts reasons to change the date. I'm totally open to discussion, just because I went ahead and picked 1 of the 3 possible dates, doesn't mean I'm being close-minded about which date the tournament will be held.

Scav: I'll try to get with you on AIM soon to discuss rules/thread/special event/name for the June Magnolia tournament.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I am awesome at forgetting the Valley.

Once again, the big open date right now is May 19th. At this stage, regions that already have a venue secured and host on board are getting priority -- that's why I was quick to let Magnolia have the June slot. The Valley is a rough trip for Oklahoma, unfortunately, so I'm going to have to work on figuring that out.

But if the Valley can secure a date in May, I'm definitely willing to let them have that slot. Please get in touch with me with venue information -- size, prices per day, etc.

As things take shape, I'm starting to think I would like to have larger tournaments every other month, as well as space out the tournaments that require, on average, more travelling. A 75+ Valley tournament in May would work perfectly with this.

So, the schedule would start looking like this:

March 24th - Dallas Pilot run
April 14th/21st - Do a Barrel Roll 3 (Dallas)
May - The Valley, San Antonio, or Oklahoma
June - Magnolia

July - FC3 (No state circuit tournament, perhaps a few placeholder events)

August -
September -
October -
November -
Early-Mid December -

So, we have a lot of slots to fill, and frankly, those should be juicer slots because the hosts will have more time to prepare, advertise, etc. I'll be spacing non-established hosts out as well, so since Magnolia is "unproven," so to speak, I would like the May and August tournaments to be by established directors.

I'm really worried about travel time, so I'll have a good 2 months between a Valley tournament and an Oklahoma tournament, or any other city on the periphery (:urg: Lubbock :urg:). Tsetse, would yall prefer the May slot, or something in September/October that would give you more time to plan, and support a larger event?

My "gut feeling" schedule looks something like this:

March 24th - Dallas Pilot run
April 14th/21st - Do a Barrel Roll 3 (Dallas)
May - San Antonio
June - Magnolia

July - FC3 (No state circuit tournament, perhaps a few placeholder events)

August - Austin
September - Valley
October - Waco? Something in N Texas
November - Oklahoma?
Early-Mid December - Houston
January - Dallas

Apparently there are a looot of places in Texas ;) so getting a good distribution going will be tricky. Oklahoma, I need to talk to you guys about this -- I'm increasingly skeptical that this can support you. It's not your community's fault, just that Texas is a freaking huge state. I'm sure we can get a good turnout in getting a bunch of Texas to travel to a single Oklahoma tournament, but I'm worried Oklahomans won't be able to travel to many Texas circuit tournaments, and will get jilted in the prize structure.

Let me know what you think, and how we can make this work.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Actually a summer slot is better for us since it may help people out that need to travel. We actually would prefer summer. Since we are so detached from the rest of the country, summer may allow better scheduling for people that need to travel. So we would like to have summer. This way people dont say they have school or something else if they need to travel all the way down here. So yeah give us the summer slot we have a venue ready but we just need the date.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
How about May 19th? Does anyone know of a conflict there?

Edit: Evo East is May 25th, and Evo North is June 24th. Magnolia, just letting you know that the date you're shooting for conflicts with it.

tsetse

Smash Lord
How about May 19th? Does anyone know of a conflict there?

Edit: Evo East is May 25th, and Evo North is June 24th. Magnolia, just letting you know that the date you're shooting for conflicts with it.
Sounds good.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I lied, I'm busy the weekend of May 19th. The 26th would probably be better :p

Of course, that's just me.

I remember having air fresheners galore at Moast3. That wasn't as good as one of the TGA tournaments, though, when they walked through the room spraying it in the air :p and then they got on the PA system...

Velox

Smash Ace
Just so that we can get our scheduling straight:

May 20th: Nothing I know of

May 27th: Evo East

June 2nd: A-Kon

June 9th: Nothing I know of

June 16th: Pound 2

June 23rd: EVO North

June 30th: Scav event (?)

July 6th: Nothing I know of

July 12th: MELEE FC

If we follow the rule that tourneys cannot conflict with EVO dates, it looks like the May tourney will have to be on the 20th, and that the June tournament will have to be on the 9th.

I really really really don't want the Magnolia tournament planned for the 9th and have the May tournament take place on the 27th anyways. That would mean that there would be 1 weekend between the two events, which isn't enough, we would certainly sacrafice attendance, and likely, it would be attendance to the Magnolia event... Do you see my delima? I of course don't want to plan the Magnolia event over EVO though, because some people might actually go to EVO North (I don't know who would though...)

Not to mention that if the Magnolia tournament was held on the 9th, that would mean there would be a whole month afterwards, if not more, that there would be no smash in Texas.

tsetse

Smash Lord
26th is bad because of graduations, from high school some parents may not let there kids go out so close to graduation plus there may be graduation trips and such. So July is better then. July date is good for valley so we will take it.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Scav, if you need help setting up and planning a San Antonio tourney, PM me. I may be able to get a venue at a convention center.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
26th is bad because of graduations, from high school some parents may not let there kids go out so close to graduation plus there may be graduation trips and such. So July is better then. July date is good for valley so we will take it.
no july cause FC3 rey, get september, september its ok.
and lets go to the SA one on may ^.^

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
BETTY: Best Ever Texas Tourney Yo

I think since Bluefork is a thing of the past, we should just call it BETTY: Best Ever Texas Tourney Yo. Since like I just randomly thought of it. And the HEB that forkgirl's church bought is a great venue that can support many more tvs.

Umm so like who's in charge of SA? Forkgirl and Felix? I'd be willing to help too, since I have one tourney under my belt (a crappy one albeit, but I know what NOT to do at least)

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Not really sure. Forkgirl isn't helping me with my tournaments, nor did I help her with hers. Not that I really need it, so far all of mine have been small enough one man could run them, but RNJ has been helping me out. And they'ld likely help me out on a big one (Greyfox and Riceburner in particular.)

But yeah, Scav, have you checked your PMs recently??

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I have, I'm going to confer with the council today or tomorrow to get most of this pinned down.

Many, many thanks to everyone who has volunteered. This will be a great season ;)

forkgirl

Smash Lord
okay...could i maybe do one in october and people who come dressed up in a costume dont have to pay an entry fee??!?!?!?! eh? I can finally put my samus costume to use!!! is this the sort of "unique ideas" you meant??

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
okay...could i maybe do one in october and people who come dressed up in a costume dont have to pay an entry fee??!?!?!?! eh? I can finally put my samus costume to use!!! is this the sort of "unique ideas" you meant??
0_o samus costume?????? for reals?

forkgirl

Smash Lord
of course, scav! oh boy oh boy!!! I call normal samus!! :D although I cant really use a controller when wearing her big green gun :/

Velox

Smash Ace
lol

Hey Scav, just out of curiosity, if we don't do the Magnolia tournament in June, exactly what smash event will happen in Texas during June. It does seem weird not having anything in Texas for the whole month, especially just before MELEE FC.

I think the schedule conflictions are too... national scale to not have a state tournament in Texas during June I guess is what I'm saying...

I think someone should just ask Rob/Cave/Wes/etc. if they are actually going to go to EVO North, and if they are not, we should just hold a state tournament on the 23rd. But it's whatever... I really don't want to press the matter, I'm just saying.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Actually, the scheduling wasn't because of Evo. It's in trying to find a good balance. There will be a Circuit tournament in June, don't worry.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Scav I need til next wednesday to decide if june is good for us. You will know for sure by wednesday.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Alright, please let me know as soon as possible. It's looking like either June or August is best for the Valley -- they are both "summer", though August is less so I realize.

Also, this just in:

The Mewtwo Soulbreaker glitch IS NOT BANNED in circuit tournaments. I know, I know, MLG bans it, but we don't think it's a broken strategy. If you can win the tournament with it, well, we'll double your prize money, since it requires a red shell. And I think it only works on Bowser or something.

Time to get to work on my Zamus costume. Anybody have a blonde wig?

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
I actually like that idea, but where will the prize be if everyone comes in a costume? Regardless, I want to come as a pirate!

Top Bottom