• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG's Super Champ Combo (Sept 29-30) STOP POSTING HERE, SEE RESULTS FORUM THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Here's a part of a conversation I had with Neal back when he made this thread:

[23:06] nealyung: you guys can starve for all I care
[23:06] nealyung: you're on your own for food :-P

Well, I'm fairly certain there's a bunch of food places near the venue, but all I can think of right now are Burger King and Bakers. We could probably order some delicious Papa Johns pizza too. :)

ChaosTheory

Smash Ace
Count me in on this ....considering I missed out on Champ Combo because everyone is Az thought someone else was bringing me.

so I will not miss this one...even if I have to hid in the back of Tony's car for days so they dont forget me again .

j/k

Charoo

Smash Champion

Well, I'm fairly certain there's a bunch of food places near the venue, but all I can think of right now are Burger King and Bakers. We could probably order some delicious Papa Johns pizza too. :)
neal is crazy! I'm sure we'll have food & beverage at the venue

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I forgot about the potato wedges! Those could satisfy anyones hunger >=)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I will let you know when registration is available.

Panda: there will most likely not be a cap on registration, but I have to check with the venue owner first.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Heyy I too know how to run these tournaments, and I'll be there as well haha, but yeah no worries...Neal definitely knows what he's doing;)
Oh wow, not only are people going to be watching Neal to make sure he does everything right but now there's even COMPETITION over that meaning even the watchers are going to be on point. Which means Neal has to be on double point...

This is insane, folks!

Cort

Apple Head
Will there be ammonia at the venue?

I'll only go if there's a lot of ammonia.

edit// Dangerous amounts.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Arizona is getting pretty pumped about SCC. I've heard maybe around 10 ppl so far say they'd like to come.

You can count me in, but it looks like I might retract my offer to bring a TV as I might be flying with my girlfriend instead of driving.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm going to go to this one.

I'm serious this time. It's after I move out of my facist house.

And gimpy living in California? Can we handle it?

araknophobik

Smash Master

oh ****, if this OOS ****** think In n Out is da **** they ain't ready for Bakers

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Can there be housing accomadations the night before the tourney?

And should we schedule our flight home the night of or morning after the tournament?

Like is it ending @ 6pm or 11pm, and will anyone be able to house us 3 Washington peeps the night after the tournament if we need to fly the next morning?

Sorry I just want all the info in one post so I can buy plane tickets tonight or tomorrow for the cheapest rate possible =D.

Silent Wolf is about to be in AR mode by the time this rolls around lolz.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Can there be housing accomadations the night before the tourney?

And should we schedule our flight home the night of or morning after the tournament?

Like is it ending @ 6pm or 11pm, and will anyone be able to house us 3 Washington peeps the night after the tournament if we need to fly the next morning?

Sorry I just want all the info in one post so I can buy plane tickets tonight or tomorrow for the cheapest rate possible =D.
basically applies for me too....

cheaper tickets make me happy xD

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let's be honest: the tournament will very likely run through late Sunday night. So you'd probably be better off getting a Monday flight back home, or very late Sunday night but run the risk of having to leave early.

As for housing, well, I'm hoping some people step it up. I probably won't be able to host anyone at my house because it's very much under construction (yes, still).

If you're planning on flying in, you should use San Bernardino International Airport. LAX is a good 80-100 miles away from the venue, and if you choose to fly there you will most likely be on your own trying to get to the venue.

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Unless I'm not doing something right, you cant fly from Seattle to San Bernardino =\

Edit: At least expedia and travelocity can't find any times, I guess I'll call the airport and see what I can find.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whoops, my bad. Read that website wrong. You're right, San Bernardino does not have any passenger flights. Give me a few mins to get a better flight location.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Yeah, san bernardino is a **** airport.

In fact, despite living here for 21 years, I just now found out there IS a san bernardino airport.

Neal, nothing can be done about finding these guys a way to get to the venue?

I know for sure there is a train that goes from LA straight to San bernardino for not so much money. It'd take some extra planning, but if anyone is willing to try this out, message me on AIM and I'll explain the process if you want to fly into LAX.

pockyD

Smash Legend
ballpark price on the train?

i just realized i am the kind of person that would spend 250 on a plane ticket but be unwilling to spend 20-30 on a train once i get there =\

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, here we go.

LA-Ontario International Aiport (ONT) is about 25 minutes from the venue along Interstate 10. The 10 is a major freeway in the Los Angeles area and I'm sure a lot of people will be traveling it to get to the tournament, so there's a good chance someone will be able to pick you up on the way.

Your other option is John Wayne Airport (SNA). It's 45-60 minutes from the venue, so I'd only fly there if you're sure someone can give you a ride. The good news is that a solid number of smashers live near SNA, meaning you might be able to find housing there, but I cannot speak for anyone.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
RE: the train. The San Bernardino Amtrak Station is 4 miles from the venue. I'm sure someone would be willing to pick up anyone who wants to train to the tournament.

EDIT: there is an Amtrak train that leaves from Union Station in Los Angeles to San Bernardino at 6:45PM nightly. It's a $24 ride and takes an hour and 45 minutes. There isn't a train that runs into SB during the day that I can see. So anyone who wants to train will have to arrange for housing on Friday night. The train going the other direction leaves San Bernardino at 5:30 AM (!) and gets to Los Angeles at 8:15AM -- it's an extra hour of travel time, but only $13.

SEE HUGS' NEXT POST.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
TRAIN COSTS IF YOU ARE ARRIVING AT LAX

10 bucks for one way on a weekday.

7.50$ for one way on the weekend.

Cost to drive there on a weekend = 30.28$

I didn't include round trip costs because round trips need to be completed that same day.

*Note*
The train station is not at LAX airport. You will need to take a shuttle to get there. It's called the Flyaway Shuttle. Again, if you want more details let me know. Or we can possibly put it on the first post.

Gea

Smash Master
Oh man, I did all of this coming into LAX a few months ago to get to fullerton. Basically you fly into LAX. There is a bus to get you to Grand Union, which I believe costs 2 dollars. From there it is pretty easy to ask someone at a kiosk (information kiosk) where to go to get on the train, since the station is somewhat iffy. Like HUGs said, it is pretty cheap to get a train ticket.

You have alternatives! LAX does provide a shuttling service (a ton of them) that cost more money. However, you can get a 15$ deal to DisneyLand, which is in Anahiem. If you can get someone to pick you up there (alot easier than at LAX) it could be worth the money. Something to keep in mind, as it will be faster than taking the shuttle then the train. <--- I might be able to pick someone up doing this, as well. It just depends when and whatnot. This is the closest to where I will be living, though.

Do *NOT* take a taxi.

John Wayne Airport is probably the better bet. Fly Conteniental if you can, your rates *should* be lower. Into LAX you will probably want to fly American. I *might* be able to pick someone up from John Wayne, but no promises.

Oh: and the security in LAX takes less time to get through than John Wayne. So plan some extra time in there for John Wayne on the return, it takes too ****ing long. They only have two metal detectors in the entire airport. While 14 gates might not seem like many, it took me almost an hour to get through security my last trip. Please, plan ahead. I assume everyone *should* be travel savy enough anyways...

Also: the trains are really nice, and even have electrical outlets for you to plug anything into (DS charger, whooo) and a snack car. Pimpin'. I'm not entirely sure but there might be buses once you get off the train, or once again, I might be able to pick someone up. I *should* have my car unless something happens.

Edit: Oh, I'm considering sleeping there since I will have a car (assuming it doesn't break) and if you don't mind people going in and out I might be able to take people to get supper or to a local target/ walmart to get supplies. Then again I might decide my bed rawks the sawks. Who knows? If people need the help, I wanna help.

One more thing: if there is a large difference in price between LAX and John Wayne from where you are coming in from, I have somewhat of a solution. You can get on a bus from John Wayne and while it might be a bit of a long bus ride (public transit here, it really isn't that far, if Neal thinks this is a good way we can give you the routes) you can get to the same train line that runs from Grand Union.

I know this sounds like alot of speculation on my part, but I can give definitives on August 20th or so.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
For those that are flying into Ontario Airport on Friday, I would be able to pick about 3-4 people up and house them Friday night/Sunday night. My apartment is approximately 15-20 minutes from the venue. I'll have to check with my roommates about housing people, but I'm sure they will understand since they are both gamers themselves.

Also, I have class on Friday until 4 PM. This means I probably won't get to the airport until 5:30-6, depending on how fast I get out of class and how bad traffic is. So the later you fly in, the better for me.

Thats my current situation. I'll be sure to post if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom