• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK will never tornado you again.

POKE40

Smash Lord
om nom nom nom...eating mai popcorn whlie watchn' vid

lol this is really helpful.
I can suggest perhaps this.
  • Do this technique the very FIRST time MK uses the tornado
This wil have the user not to use tornado on you again. If I'm wrong please tell me :(
Wow that find is encouraging. Thanks!

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Something I wanted to point out from the get-go, but couldn't without confirmation, is that you can't SDI G&W's Uair wind.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Something I wanted to point out from the get-go, but couldn't without confirmation, is that you can't SDI G&W's Uair wind.
This.

Much like a throw, windboxs don't have that inital hitstun that allows you to SDI.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
This.

Much like a throw, windboxs don't have that inital hitstun that allows you to SDI.
Yup my bad. At first I thought it was SDI-ing the hitboxes. Turns out it's just you re-fastfalling after being pushed up again.

Wow I love G&W =)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
GaW does have great matchups, but MK is not one of them.

MK Marth and Snake are good reasons to have a secondary, although the matchups are winnable they aren't fun, or in your advantage.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
GaW does have great matchups, but MK is not one of them.

MK Marth and Snake are good reasons to have a secondary, although the matchups are winnable they aren't fun, or in your advantage.
That they are. In order of difficulty I find MK, Marth, then Snake. They are all really annoying.

In teams, however, G&W has no bad matchups (given the right playstyle). Most of those characters lose what they would normally have on G&W in teams. I enjoy playing against MKs and Snakes in teams =) and sometimes Marth since he is easier to gimp.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Snake i say is the worst ,you'll have to be really good to defeat a pro snake
itz hard:/

as for MK ,it's not a good match up,but it's not as bad as snake or marth IMO

anyway the tornado thing sounds interesting
i think i've been doing it already though lol
a vid would be nice if there is one:p

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yeah really sorry about no vid yet. It's been difficult without someone to play as MK. Hopefully I'll have one up tonight. I found some cool timings with MK's side-B too.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
If it helps everyone any Zac does this to me all the time. It for sure works and it for sure makes me eat smash attacks all the time >.<"

Zac is also the best teams partner evar. Has he shown you guys the nonsense he pulled in teams against Lee Martin and UltimateRazer? He seriously saves me from a Snake up tilt at like 130% with his up air. Zac is bahroken~ <3

Cyan_

Smash Lord
If it helps everyone any Zac does this to me all the time. It for sure works and it for sure makes me eat smash attacks all the time >.<"

Zac is also the best teams partner evar. Has he shown you guys the nonsense he pulled in teams against Lee Martin and UltimateRazer? He seriously saves me from a Snake up tilt at like 130% with his up air. Zac is bahroken~ <3
Lol, yeah I saw that vid. It was amazing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I tested this on my own and it works pretty well.

A few things I found:

As long as you up-b while you are within 2 character distances away and UNDER(you can be to the bottom left or right as well) the tornado you will make him rise and you will be chipped for 1% or just miss. Either way MK flys above you and it's easy to punish.

While you are on the ground if MK ever tornados your shield you can destroy him. Right as the tornado hitbox touchs your shield(you can up-b a tiny bit early to be safe) up-b and you will rise with MK while he is in his nado. Make sure and go straight up otherwise you might knock him out. MK will actually hit you out of your up-b stopping your momentum and giving you 1%, but putting you in perfect position to punish.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I like the MK vs GaW matchup. It really pisses me off, I mean, but sometimes it is fun. He has to outdamage you a fair amount if you can sweetspot your d-smash or land an u-smash at the right times.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I hate the MK match-up and I often feel like there is almost nothing GW can do in it aside from gimmicks :/. That's probably a byproduct of playing with some of the best MK's in the nation though lol.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol so true....about that
Mk match up is hardx_X
the only way to get better against em is to simply keep on playing good MK's so ya know what to expect

D:

Noa.

Smash Master

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i think it helps vs mk, but certainly doesn't make it a neutral or matchup thats in favor of gw. It still sits around 6/4 for mk, it certainly isn't hopeless for gw, and he can def make it a winnable matchup

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
If up-b was a great counter for tornado than why don't I see people using G&W while fighting MK? I would if I new how to use him.
Because if you use G&W vs. MK and the MK knows about this, then why would MK ever use tornado against you? It just removes one of his moves, which honestly wasn't a threat to us to begin with.

The probably with MK lies in his Fsmash, UpB, and utilt.

In related news, my MK friend will be stopping by tonight. Hopefully i can convince him to help me record the findings from this thread. I'll post link in the OP when it's up.

Also, there's another cool trick that I don't think many G&W know about. It's very important. Helped me win a tournament because I didn't lose a stock otherwise. I'll make a new thread about it later, let the guesses begin!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'll make a new thread about it later, let the guesses begin!
is it more bacon? lol

but yea
im pretty sure an MK player will know about it
besides,you have to do this during battle without having to think about doing it D:
it has to flow,like dodging lol
otherwise you die D:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Videos uploading in the OP. Watch them =) I tried showing all angles of the UpB so you could get an idea of when it works and when it doesn't.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice

Noa.

Smash Master
Nice to see the videos up. Does this mean that when MK tries the Uair into tornado KO, that Upb might just kill him with you? Would this work as an effective counter to that combo of MK?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Nice to see the videos up. Does this mean that when MK tries the Uair into tornado KO, that Upb might just kill him with you? Would this work as an effective counter to that combo of MK?
What I did in the bonus vid is quite difficult. I can't get UpB to work everytime while inside the tornado, but somehow I was able to execute it right as the last hit of the tornado hit me and popped me up into the blast zone.

Noa.

Smash Master
What I did in the bonus vid is quite difficult. I can't get UpB to work everytime while inside the tornado, but somehow I was able to execute it right as the last hit of the tornado hit me and popped me up into the blast zone.
So it doesn't work everytime huh? Well, kudos for having it work in that match. It's really funny seeing MK go for the combo, and then you see that he also ends up dying.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
You should show them what happens when it goes wrong, like when we were on Pipes :D

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
nice videos
but looks really difficult to do...lol on how you couldnt do it often :(
its very useful though

hmm nice

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
nice videos
but looks really difficult to do...lol on how you couldnt do it often :(
its very useful though

hmm nice
It really is easy to do. The video was trying to show what happens when you do it at different angles. The spacing for it is quite tight. Also my friend is very used to me doing this to him, so he was always hesitant about approaching and kept messing up.

Spend about 10-15min and you can get this down easy. The problem is you need a friend to help you learn, cause computers don't really do this.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
god. this has been known for a long time, nothing new, this is basic info. and no, this doesn't effect the match up at all. maybe one in 14 tries you might get a hit on him. the rest of the time the MK will fast fall or DI away to a safe distance.

you know, its bad enough G&W really doesn't have any potential for any further AT advancement, but when you beat a dead horse like this, G&W will never go anywhere.

i understand this was done with good intentions in mind, but the G&W community needs to realize that in order to keep things moving, lets not worry about re-explanations and start worrying about new ideas.

Top Bottom