• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK + tap jump, yes or no?

Raphs182

Smash Rookie
so Im trying to get a survey going of who uses tap jump with their MKs, so I can know if I should have it on or off for mine. Currently Ive had it on, but iono, if there is a good reason other than player preference. So let me know, thanks.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I have it turned off. I can't jump forward or backward very well at all with it on, plus it makes for some very unnecessary jumping if I'm juggling my opponents with Uair or if I decided to use Utilt.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I usually leave it on, but I rarely ever use it... only once in a while when I do rising up airs, lol. Leaving it on doesn't really give me any problems.

Mezna

Smash Cadet
I like to have it for MK at least. Since he has so many jumps he can make an upward WOP just by holding up and mashing A. Pretty fun IMO

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
I usually have it off but either way I never use it. Controlling your jump height is just much easier with out using the tap jump. By the way, it is possible to do rising up-airs fairly easily with tap jump off. Hold up on analog, and quickly slide your right thumb from X to A in one fluid motion. (For gamecube controller obviously)

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
I turned it off for my Diddy, but I miss being able to up B out of shield with it as MK. It allows for easier up tilts though, which can be pretty dangerous for opponents.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
although ub-b outa shield is good, with the new drop shield mechanic you omight as well just drop shield then up-b

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I have it off because I play other characters who benefit from it being off (Snake, DK). That and I am more used to using "X" to jump. With MK it is fun doing rising u-airs but I think that leaving it on for that reason alone doesn't make much sense. Personal preference as well.

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
lately i have used it on.... it makes up air combos really easy to pull off.... but at the same time it eats up your jumps... lol
but i have beeen thinkin about trying a new button layout....
using the L trigger as jump.... so u dont have to take ur finger of A.... namean???
i think it will work weelll once i get used to it... ill post back when i try it out

ckm

Smash Journeyman
well, i have asked this question many times and always get a mixed response. I tried tap jump off, and I think it could work well, but after spending so long practicing certain moves with tap jump, I felt like a total noob trying to relearn them and eventually gave up. The toughest part for me was performing edgehogging b moves and arials. I use the control stick to drop and then jump, then do the arial. Depending on the attack and my intentions, I drop and jump different distances, requiring the timing to be just right. I ended up killing myself alot, and gave up on the whole deal. Ive just been practicing doing my Utilt with a gentle hand on the control stick.

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
well, i have asked this question many times and always get a mixed response. I tried tap jump off, and I think it could work well, but after spending so long practicing certain moves with tap jump, I felt like a total noob trying to relearn them and eventually gave up. The toughest part for me was performing edgehogging b moves and arials. I use the control stick to drop and then jump, then do the arial. Depending on the attack and my intentions, I drop and jump different distances, requiring the timing to be just right. I ended up killing myself alot, and gave up on the whole deal. Ive just been practicing doing my Utilt with a gentle hand on the control stick.

in other words your showing us MAD SKEEELZZZZ :-{D

3GOD

Smash Ace
You should have Tap Jump ON so that you can spam Up-B from shield and from dash more easily (with it off, you'd have to jump with X or Y and then very quickly hit Up-B to do it off the ground).

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
You should have Tap Jump ON so that you can spam Up-B from shield and from dash more easily (with it off, you'd have to jump with X or Y and then very quickly hit Up-B to do it off the ground).
Very good point.... when your doing the edge up b..... it just comes out ever so slightly a tiddly biddily bit slower...

i suggest it on yo
least thats what us good meta knights do...:chuckle:

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
Tap jump off. Using the tip of the my thumb to press Y with the joint of my thumb resting on the A button, much more reliable way of jump imo ;P

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
I leave it on but I never use it to jump.

When dashing in flicking up on the control stick and then immediately down on the c-stick results in an ultra shorthopped DAIR, which I find really effective.

forute

Smash Ace
I leave it on but I never use it to jump.

When dashing in flicking up on the control stick and then immediately down on the c-stick results in an ultra shorthopped DAIR, which I find really effective.
That's why I play with a claw grip sometimes
Index finger on X, thumb on c-stick

Sino

Smash Journeyman
I had the same problem, i sometimes do a jump but i dont want to. Or i can;t do a Utilt without jumping first. I think I wil try L as jump button, because i dont use it for shielding or with the claw grip. But isn't Y better for jumping than the X-buuton for the claw grip?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I have to have it on. That way, when using my up-air to carry opponents up, all I have to do is hold the control stick up and keep mashing A. ;)

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I hate Tap Jump. I've used jump button since Smash64 and never regretted it. Especially with the extra sensitivity of Brawl, I'm so thankful I can turn it off.

However, I definitely see where it has its uses, especially with MK. Up-B and Usmash are amazing out-of-shield, and I really love the Rise-of-Pain (upwards WOP). These are all MUCH harder to do with Tap turned off.

I think it depends on personal preference overall.

Top Bottom