• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Brawl! 9/13/09

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Central Mississippi Brawl!​

Venue:
The Way Cafe
108 East Broadway 2nd floor
Yazoo City, MS 39194

This venue is very nice and big please respect it. It is the location of a Christian ministry so I would ask that you keep cursing to a minimum.

Remember to bring your own controller(BYOC)

When: 9/13/09
Sunday September 13th 2009
12pm sign up starts
1pm tournament begins
10pm-11pm go home!

What:
Brawl Singles tourney -$5 entry fee
Brawl Doubles (if we have time/demand for it) - For fun
Melee Friendlies(during tourney)
B+ friendlies(during tourney)
Blazblue(after tourney)

Setups
2 Brawl tourney setups
1 B+ friendlies setup
1 Melee Setup

General rules:

3 Stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's

finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above
should be played out for any "finals" matches)

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is.
Any chain grabs must end after 5 throws

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure

3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage
from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this
system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until
only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked
later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter

Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Port Town Aero Dive
Norfair
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion

Banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario WareDistant Planet
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
Life Stealing is allowed

Set team attack to ON

AllisBrawl thread: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=107150

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It makes me more sad that MS Melee is still > AL Melee
LOL, for that you can blame my old Tupelo crew and Memphis. Hell, AL is partly to blame for us too, cause Andy would always come to our events and I played Andy on an almost daily basis back when he was at Starkville.

Which reminds me of how MS used to be, back in the day... when we actually had a full crew... It's a vicious circle. I'm going to go somewhere dark and cry. :-(

j00t

Smash Champion
LOL, for that you can blame my old Tupelo crew and Memphis. Hell, AL is partly to blame for us too, cause Andy would always come to our events and I played Andy on an almost daily basis back when he was at Starkville.

Which reminds me of how MS used to be, back in the day... when we actually had a full crew... It's a vicious circle. I'm going to go somewhere dark and cry. :-(
Haha yeah, that and DML moved to Southaven. And NES n00b is BEAST. And Shai is coming along as well, but I don't see much of him on here.

I wanted to go to PersaCon this year just to see you, but I learned too late that they moved it to Decatur. Like, what the heck. >_>;

Are you going to TO5?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Where is this full crew? Also, by full crew I meant people that I can drive no more than 15 minutes to get to their houses. Now there are just a handful of players spread out over the entire state.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Where is this full crew? Also, by full crew I meant people that I can drive no more than 15 minutes to get to their houses. Now there are just a handful of players spread out over the entire state.
Southaven. There are 4 players near each other five if you count Raymond. And I am an hour away. GET YOUR *** WHOOPED. Sorry Cyner you know no one is going to go to these tourneys on Smashboards. Check all is brawl or something.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Southaven. There are 4 players near each other five if you count Raymond. And I am an hour away. GET YOUR *** WHOOPED. Sorry Cyner you know no one is going to go to these tourneys on Smashboards. Check all is brawl or something.
3 of those live under the same roof.

And I live 30min away from that.

In another state.

The location makes me sad...=( 3.5 hours.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Well that's far to the north, Not only does MS need a scene for Brawl, it needs more than one location for Smash in itself. I do appreciate you guys reintroducing me to Melee, but only Iori even takes Brawl seriously out of all of you. So I'm starting off with Brawl and having Melee if there is enough interest. Of course i'm interested in Melee but I'm not sure how many who attend will be.

Handorin

Smash Hero
You should play brawl+ more.

You dont need to hack your wii at all now.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
more B+? I already have it and everything but none of my friends wants to do anything but play vBrawl. They won't even play Melee with me and I suck at Melee.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
The stage list is interesting, haha. I like it.

What are the prize payouts for this? Also, why only 2 setups for Brawl? Is there space for people to bring more? If so, I could probably bring something if I go.

This would be fun to go to considering I haven't really played anyone from the area. Would anyone be willing to house me Saturday night? I'm a Brawl guy, but I have fun playing Melee. I might have a few other people with me, too, but I don't know yet.

Also, anyone up for MMs if I go?

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
The stage list is interesting, haha. I like it.

What are the prize payouts for this? Also, why only 2 setups for Brawl? Is there space for people to bring more? If so, I could probably bring something if I go.

This would be fun to go to considering I haven't really played anyone from the area. Would anyone be willing to house me Saturday night? I'm a Brawl guy, but I have fun playing Melee. I might have a few other people with me, too, but I don't know yet.

Also, anyone up for MMs if I go?

The payout is 50/30/20

Only two setups cause that's all I have available while still making B+ and Melee available. There is PLENTY of space, probably for 10 or more setups.

Right now I don't have any way to house people. i'll keep you updated if that changes.

Me, Clink, or Mookierah would probably be willing to do MM's.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Cool stuff. Like I said, if I go I could bring a setup or two. I've got school the next morning, so finishing with time for me to drive home and get some sleep is a priority.

Cyner, 3/5 $5 or 10 MM using tournament rules (if I go)?

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Cool stuff. Like I said, if I go I could bring a setup or two. I've got school the next morning, so finishing with time for me to drive home and get some sleep is a priority.

Cyner, 3/5 $5 or 10 MM using tournament rules (if I go)?

well I wouldn't want you to bring so much stuff while traveling so far. If you bring one(brawl) setup that's fine.

Yeah i'd be up for a 5 or 10 MM

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind bringing the stuff with me. It won't be a big difference on gas, and I carry it around with me a lot anyways. I'd rather have an extra, unused TV than wish I brought an extra, desperately needed TV. I'll let you know what I'll have as this gets closer.

After more consideration, I think I'll be able to do this if I can get somewhere to stay Saturday night or I get someone to come with me that can do most of the driving that morning. I just don't like driving more than an hour or so right before a tournament, haha. Also, I need to make sure my finances are straight and I can afford it all, but I think I'll be okay on that end.

I'll get back to you on whether I'd like 5 or 10, unless you have a preference. I'm leaning towards 10, but it really depends on how much I can afford to spend/ lose that weekend, haha.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Haha yeah, that and DML moved to Southaven. And NES n00b is BEAST. And Shai is coming along as well, but I don't see much of him on here.
I'm pretty sure Shai is in Oregon now...if not, he's supposed to be soon.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I don't mind bringing the stuff with me. It won't be a big difference on gas, and I carry it around with me a lot anyways. I'd rather have an extra, unused TV than wish I brought an extra, desperately needed TV. I'll let you know what I'll have as this gets closer.

After more consideration, I think I'll be able to do this if I can get somewhere to stay Saturday night or I get someone to come with me that can do most of the driving that morning. I just don't like driving more than an hour or so right before a tournament, haha. Also, I need to make sure my finances are straight and I can afford it all, but I think I'll be okay on that end.

I'll get back to you on whether I'd like 5 or 10, unless you have a preference. I'm leaning towards 10, but it really depends on how much I can afford to spend/ lose that weekend, haha.
How far are you driving exactly? Right now I just don't have the ability to house many people. I would have liked to but I don't live by myself. If this tourney has a good turn out is successful then I bet it will open the door for housing opportunity for the next one. I don't mind losing a few dollars if it will get more people to the tourney and start giving MS a smash scene. Too many people just don't have any community for their gaming hobby. Eventually I want this to be huge and include much more than just smash.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I'm coming from Baton Rouge in what looks to be a 3.5 hours drive. I'm not entirely opposed to driving in that morning, but I feel like I think/ play better when it's not right after a long drive. I would definitely want to be able to give a good showing if I go, you know?

Who all lives in the area (like within an hour's drive or so)? I don't mind doing the legwork and asking around about housing myself. It looks like I would, in fact, have a few people with me, too.

I really appreciate the help and answers you've given me already. Thanks!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I would offer you a place to stay where I'm at, but I'm not much closer to this place than you are :-(.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Looks like I'm not gonna make this (money issues before anything else, haha), but I'm definitely gonna be on the lookout for the next one.

Top Bottom