• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Something very important other people neglected to say: Forward Throw is a kill option at fairly reasonable percents if you're facing the right way. To be honest this is probably how I get ~40% of my kills. It kills at the 110% range if you're near the ledge.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
(I wish I could actually try to use the Electroshock, but that's out of the question. Thanks for making it SD, Sakurai.)
Pit/Dark Pit's sideB isn't like Captain Falcon's, it doesn't put you in helpless after. You'll fall a fair distance if you whiff, but the Pits can easily make it back with their superb recovery.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Best spacing tools? Been told I should work with my spacing. Pit's Ftilt and arrows have become my best friends, but what else is there?

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
hey im new to pit and i really enjoy how he feels. ive been playing him a bunch but i cant seem to find what his real bread and butter combos are. does he have any? and do you guys prefer d throw or u throw? d throw does less damage but can probably get a fair. but u throw is stronger and can possibly tech chase or combo into u air. i think the u throw leads to more damage but i havent experimented enough. is one better than the other?

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Something with a lot of mix-up potential that every character has is pivoting.
Pivoting is pretty simple. Dash one way turn and cancel the lag with an attack/grab during which a short slide happens. If you can perfect pivoting is better but this is much simpler. Personally I like to bait my opponent to approach and use pivot ftilt since it comes out fast and covers a wide area and the slide helps get tippers more easily. Pivot grabs work too since Pit gains a lot off grab with comboes and potentially a kill. Pivot Upperdash Arm while the opponent is rushing towards you can be good because of the armour that it has though use it very sparingly because it is a very punishable move if shielded.

Wrexsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wrexsoul
Hey folks,

Yesterday I decided to pick Pit up as a secondary, and am loving it. With one exception. For the life of me I can't properly use his up-B to recover consistently. So I figured you pro people could help me out a bit with my woes!

1) Sweet-spotting the ledge. How the hell does this work? Sometimes the up-B snatches the ledge from anywhere within a pretty good margin (like with all other characters I've played). Sometimes even tho I hit the very right spot it just sails right past it, leading to me losing a stock from falling helplessly into a charged smash attack way too often. This most frequently happens when I try to go straight up to the ledge from below the stage, but also happens diagonally at times. I've tried different distances, I've tried holding and smashing towards the ledge, but nothing seems consistent. 2) Aiming it. Is it limited to 8 directions like Falco's up-B, or is it possible to aim it more delicately? Does it actually go the exact direction you input? For example, when I input a straight side-input (parallell with the stage ground), it flies at a slight upwards angle. Is this deviancy present at all angles? Usually I have no problem aiming it, but when the ledge is narrow I end up going under/over the stage quite often instead of nailing the ledge. Much appreciative for any help on these two matters!

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
1. When you use his upB, his wings have a glow that transitions blue>orange>red. He doesn't ledgesnap until the transition to orange. That said, the minimum distance he ledge snaps is about the same as the distance for Mario's upB, it feels like. Also note, Pit can't ledgesnap during upB with his back to the ledge.

2. It only goes upward, horizontal inputs still have a slight vertical angle. Twelve hours in MS Paint resulted in the following diagram of input angles:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Use pivots, They are pits best friend lol. Ftilt / fsmash / Side b lol. Change ur option, dont allways go for a forward throw for the kill, if they are high enough, they will be DI'ing up away from the Forward throw so up throw them for the kill :p little things like this man.

Panda334

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4399-0464-4610
Yeah I had this problem, and even with the color coding it's hard asf to know when that is, with everything else going on. But all in practice I guess...

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Okay, the title is just an exaggeration. Okay so I started playing Pit now, since I needed more character to use other than females. I wanted to experience using a male character and I started with Pit, since, for me, he looks like a fast and strong character. While I was fighting Shulk, he keeps on N-Airing while approaching me or while getting away. I know I couldn't do anything when he does that so sometimes I panic and make a mistake, but even though I don't panic, I still can't stop Shulk, because he's barely approachable, because of his slow N-Air which goes everywhere and has a good range. So Does anybody know how to deal with a Shulk player who keeps on using N-Air everywhere? This is also a problem even when I use Peach and Rosalina and all the other characters I use.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pit's not really fast or strong. He's more "middle of the road" than either extreme.

Are you rushing into the n-air's hitbox? Rushing in with Pit is risky business and you're likely to get punished for it. Shulk hs no long-range moves and a lot of commitment on his attacks, so he's wide open for punishment if he whiffs.

As a Pit player, this is your opportunity to strike back.

Keep him coming towards you. Keep the pressure on him with arrows and pull back so he has no choice but to chase you down. Then trick him into striking at an inopportune moment and take that as your opportunity for punishment.

Shulk can usually be read generally based on the Monado Arts he's using. A lot of Shulk players, in my experience, either start off with Speed or Buster. If he's using Speed, he's more than likely going to go on the offensive and try to rush you down. N-air is a good air-defense can space well, since it's lingering hitbox means you won't be able to approach him consistently, and if he's using Speed, he can get into your space and send it up before you get the chance to hit him first. If he's using Buster you still need to watch out, as it'll basically be free damage for him if you jump right into it. N-air is, in short, pretty good, but only if you fall for it.

Ergo, don't fall for it. You have arrows - use them! Gimp him in mid-air and punish him from afar every time he tries to get you with a n-air until he learns to reconsider his priorities.You should be wary of engaging in air battles off the cuff, too, as Shulk can strike quickly with n-air before you have a chance to react. So instead, wait for him to screw up, then hit him when he's recovering in the air. Wait for the endlag after n-air or, instead of taking to the air after him, shoot him with an arrow or get under him and strike with a u-smash and punish him for it.

Pit isn't about rushdown, he's about playing it cool and punishing stupid mistakes. If Shulk's relying on his n-air and you keep falling for it, stop falling for it and punish him for it!

The same applies to every character, really. Pit just happens to have more tools to punish stupid mistakes than most others.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
As a Shulk main myself, try shielding his Nair then grab him as he lands. If Shulk doesn't properly space his Nairs (Either the Monado isn't fully in front of him when hitting your shield or just FF's too early) then he's VERY susceptible to shield grabs more often than not.

Also as Wintropy said Pit has projectiles while Shulk does not. Use them to make Shulk approach you and read his movements and Nairs, acting accordingly.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Rather then aiming directly for the ledge, aim below it. You'll slide up the side of the stage, how depending on the stage, and grab the ledge.

Basically, aim a notch lower if you think you're too close.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
Pit/Dark Pit's sideB isn't like Captain Falcon's, it doesn't put you in helpless after. You'll fall a fair distance if you whiff, but the Pits can easily make it back with their superb recovery.
It has so much lag if it doesn't connect, that it'll kill from just above ground level of FD or lower. Plus even if you can recover, it puts you on the receiving end of edge-guarding.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
Stale moves are a massive detriment to Dark Pit. From my experience the kill moves he does have only truly kill once the opponent is above 100%. There are exceptions, of course, but generally you'll want to avoid using your kill moves too much until they reach this point. Until then use grabs, pummels (Dark Pit's pummel is amazingly fast, it's not uncommon to get three in whenever you grab), throws, tilts, arrows, jabs... whatever you've got to rack up damage. The hits are small, sure, but they add up real fast. You'll want to use Dark Pit's excellent recovery skills to your advantage. Pursue enemies off stage to continue building damage, harass their recovery with arrows, hell, even spike with your dair if you think you can pull it off.

Your best bet for the kill is typically off the ledge. Given your recovery you can often afford to play near the edges of the stage. Fsmash and fair can kill, sure, but remember that you also have a forward throw that can kill and your usmash can also net you a KO at reasonable damage levels, especially if you're dealing with a stage with a low ceiling. You'll also want to disrupt recovery and bait your opponents into making mistakes. More often than not, they can't afford to make them the same way you can.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
A lot of awesome stuff.
Wow, great pointers! I think I've been greedy. Of course the point of Smash is to get KO's, but characters with lack of KO potential just make me more eager to kill as quickly as possible, so I must use my killing moves far too early, then they keep surviving because I nerfed my own killing move(s) from being too greedy for the kill.

I'm really eager to try some stuff now, I'm gonna go try this out right now, thanks!

Last edited:

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
No problem! I had the exact same problem you did when I joined, so I've been trying to work past it and figure out what I should be doing differently. In fact, I should probably link you to the advice I got for the character here.

Last edited:

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
Any link to to detailed difference between pit and Dpit?
Right here. In short, Dark Pit's arrows are slower and cannot be guided in the same ways Pit's can, but they deal stronger knockback and more damage. Electroshock Arm has strong horizontal knockback, deals better damage, and can KO sooner than the Upperdash Arm, but it has less vertical KO power. Dark Pit also has an inferior ftilt, on Pit it can KO, but Dark Pit has to rely on other moves for that. It's still a good move for spacing, though.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
hey im new to pit and i really enjoy how he feels. ive been playing him a bunch but i cant seem to find what his real bread and butter combos are. does he have any? and do you guys prefer d throw or u throw? d throw does less damage but can probably get a fair. but u throw is stronger and can possibly tech chase or combo into u air. i think the u throw leads to more damage but i havent experimented enough. is one better than the other?
I'm also pretty new to pit as well. I mean I have used him a bit and enjoy his play style but I feel I can be a lot better with him. Honestly I perfer to use Dthrow to combo into either Fair or Nair. I don't know it just seems that Dthrow into either Fair or Nair is just more consistent than Uthrow into perhaps...Uair. Again I'm kind of new to him myself so maybe I'm not the best to give advice but I thought I at least give my two cents.

Also I have a question. I don't know if its better to fast fall with pit's aerials or not. I don't know it seems better when I don't fast fall since he has multi-hitting aerials and when I do fast fall into his aerials all of the hits don't connect and results in no knock back. I hope I worded this right so everyone can understand what I am trying to saying.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Arrows. That is all. Kidding! But seriously, using Palutena's Bow and constantly changing directions delay the time to fire, causing the opponent to either shield, dodge, or jump. When you pick up a predictable pattern, that's your chance to strike! As for characters with reflectors, it's the same idea.

Retreating Side-Bs work pretty well too, but just don't spam too much. Learned that the hard way against a For Glory Yoshi.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I actually have a couple questions if anyone can answer them. Which part of pits dair is a meteor? Or maybe a better question would be, which part of his dair is the sweetspot? And also, how much damage does it take to break pits down b reflector? Does it rack up damage overtime and then break? Or does it need to be overpowered in one big hit?

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
1. When you use his upB, his wings have a glow that transitions blue>orange>red. He doesn't ledgesnap until the transition to orange.
Waaaat?? There's a colour change? ._.

All I've been doing to recover is try to position myself directly beneath the edge or somewhere close to a 45 degree angle if I can before using up-B.

Playing as Pit about 30% of the time in Smash, I also think I've never experienced Up-B recovery with my back towards the ledge because I usually always have a jump left in me to reposition myself.

So consequently, what happens when you're back is facing the ledge? Are you like Princess Peach?

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
If your back is facing the ledge, you won't grab it (but Pit's recovery is so long you'll probably go over the ledge anyway, but it does set up for a possible punish by the opponent).

If you're missing snapping the ledge, what it basically means is you're too close to the ledge. Personally, what I like to do is go directly under the ledge and right above the blastzone and Up B all the way up. Of course, you're also gonna find the people who think they're clever and try to quickly fall off the side and Back Air you for a stage spike. To combat this, you can mix-up your recovery by going diagonally (again, don't be too close) or using Side-B. Keep in mind that the beginning part of Up-B has invincibility frames, so you can use that to go straight up or diagonal and avoid attacks as well.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I actually have a couple questions if anyone can answer them. Which part of pits/dark pit's dair is a meteor? Or maybe a better question would be, which part of his dair is the sweetspot? And also, how much damage does it take to break pit/dark pit's down b reflector? Does it rack up damage overtime and then break? Or does it need to be overpowered in one big hit?

Roystonea

Smash Cadet
I sometimes face the same problem, but when i cant kill it's because the enemy is playing defensive. so my solution is just grabbing them and throwing them off-stage (f-throw can kill sometimes). when they recover, i'll just edgeguard or regrab them to do the same. This way, he/she will die eventually. I think it's better then rushing the kill and getting punished for it.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
@ -Crews- -Crews- the part that the fair meteors is the middle part of the arc. Basically you have to be right below the character. Otherwise, it will send them straight up.

As far as the guardian orbiter goes, I'll have to test it out. In my doubles match, they broke. It could've been overtime when the guardian orbitars were worn out from the number of hits.

@ Second Power Second Power : rising nair, full hop fast fall bair, and shfair are all moves that can auto cancel.

Speaking of Guardian Orbitars, will Diddys rocketbarrels explode if they touch the Guardian Orbitars?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
hi, scouting things out

does pit have a thread for frame data yet?

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
Really need help getting the KO with dark pit. It's easy for me to rack up damage but this is where I always fail. Read some of the moves on page 1 but any advice on positioning, etc.?
i usually kill with fthrow or if i can get an usmash.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
pit's jab lock option is Dair

now answer my question QQ. I'm assuming no, but I would like some confirmation
you are asking about frame data right? im assuming there is no frame data up since its not a sticky. were you thinking about making one?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
How does pit's dair work as a jab lock? doesn't it have quite a bit of knockback?

Top Bottom