• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit is not clearly the better of the two.
Pit's arrows are infinitely better then DP's. Even DP with the guiding bow custom is still worse, since they're too slow to catch people off guard or even hit people offstage as effectively. Like I was saying, it doesn't mean much of anything in some matchups, but against most it's huge.

Electroshock VS Upperdash is more of a draw. Some characters are more easily handled above you, some offstage, Elec kills earlier, Upper kills consistently, Elec can gimp, and Upper can be followed by an arrow. Things become less even when you take into account platforms, where Upper KOs much quicker.

And unless you wanna factor in Final Smashes, the only remaining difference is Ftilt. Pit's KOs at tippered 170% in training, center-stage. DP's is 210+ or so. Untippered Pit's is still better, since there's still too much KB to combo from even with DP's weaker KB. DP has absolutely no advantages to make up for this.

I mean, it's mostly preference for any given matchup, but Pit is just better for most. DP does, however, have better matchups with Mac and Rosalina.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Can the Guardian Orbitars reflect DK's up B the same way Pits down B mirror shield works in brawl?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Dark Pit's arrows can still be used for zoning and such. Pit's arrows are better for hitting enemies off stage, but I feel like Dark Pit's are better for grounded enemies, just because of the extra damage.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the arrows are pretty w/e regardless of which pit so it's a moot point bringing them up. Electroshock is better than upperdash is basically every single way except for maybe a stage with a low ceiling but it's still unsafe as **** and shouldn't be used outside of a punish in the first place.

But the most important reason on why dark pit > pit is his voice isn't ****ing ****

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
the arrows are pretty w/e regardless of which pit so it's a moot point bringing them up. Electroshock is better than upperdash is basically every single way except for maybe a stage with a low ceiling but it's still unsafe as **** and shouldn't be used outside of a punish in the first place.

But the most important reason on why dark pit > pit is his voice isn't ****ing ****
Pit's arrows follow-up just about any attack and can force an airdodge. DP's do not. They're just about useless in comparison.

Even in BF, each platform up means 10% less for a KO for the Upperdash. Electroshock can lead to a gimp on those with the worst recoveries, but nothing more on the ground.

I just don't understand why you put more stock in a situational punish over what's basically free damage. And a better Ftilt.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
cool, it forces an airdodge, not like you can do anything to follow up that.

I'd rather my side b put them offstage and in a bad situation which potentially leads to an earlier kill than somehow managing to face someone dumb enough to get hit by side b at high %.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
cool, it forces an airdodge, not like you can do anything to follow up that.

I'd rather my side b put them offstage and in a bad situation which potentially leads to an earlier kill than somehow managing to face someone dumb enough to get hit by side b at high %.
Wrong. Shooting an arrow up uses the faster Brawl animation, and it's fully possible to attack the opponent out of an airdodge, especially faster fallers.

A situational kill move, but necessary with somebody who has so much trouble killing.

Jorrja

Smash Rookie
I did a different get-up attack a while ago (not from the ledge, but a getup from a tumble animation) that had multiple hits. Is this a normal thing, because i havent had any luck reproducing this. I'll try to post a video of this attack.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I did a different get-up attack a while ago (not from the ledge, but a getup from a tumble animation) that had multiple hits. Is this a normal thing, because i havent had any luck reproducing this. I'll try to post a video of this attack.
There's two getup attacks, depending on if Pit lands face-up or face-down. Although I'm unsure of the difference myself.

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Wow. I wasn't even aware that each character has two get up attacks. Learn something new everyday. I'll have to try it out for myself and see what its like.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
not really specific to pit as a character but...where do i vs other people on these boards? please tell me my fellow pit mains :D

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, here goes : did anyone notice any changes after the patch ?
Damage is the same across the board and KB doesn't appear to have any significant changes. The mechanics for aerial multihit attacks has been adjusted, although it should really only stop Fair spikeing and Dthrow>Uair>FF>Dthrow combos, though.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
What is the recommended custom moveset for Dark Pit?

I have Guiding Arrow, Quickshock, Power of Flight, and Amplifying Guardians

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wouldn't recommend Quickshock, there's waaaaaaaaay to much start up lag. Just go with regular electroshock.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
so is there by change does dark pit have his version of 'palutena guidance" or is it just a special thing for pit

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
So what is Pits role as a fighter? He's not rush down, not combo heavy, medium range. Only thing my boy and I can think of is that since his recovery is so strong that he is meant to be played off the stage.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So what is Pits role as a fighter? He's not rush down, not combo heavy, medium range. Only thing my boy and I can think of is that since his recovery is so strong that he is meant to be played off the stage.
He's an odd duck to say the least. But yeah, Pit really shines when the opponent is offstage because he has a ridiculous number of options. Besides that it's hard to just sum him up like you can Mario or Fox.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I think Pit is just a jack of all trades. He has good speed, fast disjointed attacks with great range, grab combos, a spike, multiple jumps, powerful recovery, a fast controllable projectile, a shield that can reflect, and a KO special with super armor... In other words that just sums up to versatility and utility. He has no special strength, but no weakness either. He struggles a lot to KO sometimes, but that's more of a flaw.

I find what that all means is that he can adjust for any situation and matchup, and rather than trying to find a role, you just do what you have to and mix things up as you see fit.

But he does have an edge on off stage gimping with those arrows combined with his air control and aerials, and maybe aerial combat in general.

extremelotus

Smash Cadet
I'm wondering which move is best for messing with a character off stage and killing them. I like Fair because it's multi hit, but Bair feels much quicker, stronger, and more knock back. So I don't see why not use Bair for off stage game more rather than Fair. What do you guys think?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
A hard question...
To be honest I'm used to use more Fair than Bair because Fair has more frames active and sometimes catch them out of their air dodge( if they air dodge a little early than you used the attack).
I'm more used to use Fair while fast-falling too, because I just run-drop from the ledge and fast-fall a Fair in opponent's under me.
It's a great option, covers a excelent area with the move, and is faster than anyone is used to expect (I'm not sure if is slower than Bair)

But Bair should not be missed. If you shot a arrow and force a airdodge, than you can punish the airdodge with something, use Bair.
Bair is my option if I'm sure I'm gonna hit.Use it to stage spike too, recoveries that don't have hitboxes always hated Bair.

Out of the edge guard situation only, I use Bair and Fair in different spacing too. If the opponent is a bit far from me, I'm more into Fair.If the opponent will be close to you when you active the attack, I'm almost sure Bair has more range (vertical, I'm meaning), than Fair.

Last edited:

extremelotus

Smash Cadet
That's great advice, I think I feel more comfortable with bair, only because I used it alot in brawl. they both are good moves.so Fair is good for spacing and bair is good for stage spike.

PixelChaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
PixelChaos
honestly i don't think there's enough people who care/play both atm. It feels like dark pit's side b is faster slightly but there's really not enough people caring enough to. Pit's neutral b is more of a offensive/utility thing while I think dark pit's has more priority because I tend to cancel shots easier with dark pit but that isn't "proven". they both can recover with side b a little bit below/above the edge and get on slide with a little lag(but most people don't expect it and you can get a grab if someone doesn't expect it...but it's not something you can abuse) dark pit's forward air seems to be easier to kill with(off stage) than pit's for some odd reason. the characters feel completely different to me i feel like pit is more of a spacing character and I tend to edge guard with arrows and poke. dark pit feels like I can be more aggressive and I'm not sure why it feels like dark pit/pit threads are dead :/ so it's more of a opinion of mine at the moment
Hi, Pittoo/ Pit main here, just to say that I feel the same about pit and pittoo in the sense where one feels more spacing heavy than the other. It honestly feels like I can be more aggressive with Pittoo and get better results rather than with Pit. I just need to find the time to really write down the differences and values adn all that. I also don't really know where to start with that stuff. Any advise? What else have you guys noticed about Pittooey/ Pit?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There are exactly four different moves between them, including a Final Smash. Besides that there's the obvious arrow and Arm differences, and DP's Ftilt having significantly less knockback. Every other aspect is the same, even after the patch.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Is Dark Pit's Side B a Kill move? If not, what are some other solid kill moves he has?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Is Dark Pit's Side B a Kill move? If not, what are some other solid kill moves he has?
Yes, but it's a later one. Main one is Fsmash, then there's Usmash, Dsmash (back hit), Bair (tip), and then Pit has all of this (including the Upperdash, but it KOs slightly differently) and Ftilt (tip).

You'll have to rely on intercepting recoveries for KOs with either, anyway.

Devdan

Smash Rookie
Scrubby question, but I'm asking it. Is there some trick to sweetspotting the ledge with his up b? It seem likes 50% of the time I sail right over the ledge, even when I touch it, giving my opponent a free fully charged smash attack. It's bumming me out.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Scrubby question, but I'm asking it. Is there some trick to sweetspotting the ledge with his up b? It seem likes 50% of the time I sail right over the ledge, even when I touch it, giving my opponent a free fully charged smash attack. It's bumming me out.
Aim low on the ledge, and you'll slide up the side of the stage. Mess around in training a bit, it's an important skill to know.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
What are some of Dark Pits move that would make a opponent Fear approaching you , my friend who uses Doc said that and I'm not quite sure myself . If that makes sense in a way

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
What are some of Dark Pits move that would make a opponent Fear approaching you , my friend who uses Doc said that and I'm not quite sure myself . If that makes sense in a way
Makes sense to me. Moves that make people not want to charge in, or else being hit by "X" attack.

Kind of depends on the skill level of the fighter, and how you yourself play the character, but my friends are wary of my ftilt, sspecial, dspecial, and grab.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Gaur plain non omega lol....

Upperdash kills so early there

so does f-tilt

(then again everything kills early there lol)

so much aerial combat which goes in pits favour against most other characters.

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
In terms of mixups, do Pit players perform a jab to grab? If so, how exactly do you cancel the jab?

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I don't think it works too well. For some reason his jab has about as much endlag as his D-tilt. Not a bad mindgame, but the jab just takes too long to cancel.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Arena Ferox... Really good for Pit. His mobility and aerials really let him take advantage of every stage layout. His arrows get a lot more stage control, and sometimes he can even shoot them straight up and then down onto an opponent across a wall.

And if customs are allowed, Guiding Bow is just plain ridiculous as you can weave it around like a maze to hit enemies anywhere safely.

Top Bottom